TehUltimateMage

X-DREAMERS [IC - BASE]

latest?cb=20141130035308

Kelsier - Dining Hall

[duke's storytime] - [smiling] - [flashbacks to darker times]

Duke didn't explain anything at all. Again.

Though despite his desire to learn more, Kelsier relented. If anything was to go by, the younger man was simply bad with words or chaining thoughts together -- but his actions spoke volumes. He collected hints through the jumble, however: that Duke's powers came from his world and were fueled by fairies, not metals. That Duke was bonded to Vylcan, who spoke to him and granted him the ability to make shields and perform defensive maneuvers, which was likely what stopped that inquisitor from tailing him.  A hidden anger churned within Kelsier when he mentioned that the magic was again confined to the nobility -- were they in power because they had power? or was power simply granted to those with influence? -- but the young man did stress that he was an exception to the rule. 

Thinking about it made his scars itch again. 

"Now you listen," Gemmel said. The old man was filthy. Hair unkempt, beard ragged, crouched like a mad dog with a killer streak in its eyes. Right now, his voice was lowered to a whisper. "Listen for once. I'm here to teach you how to fight. Not how to talk. You already do that." His voice grew in a gradual crescendo. "We didn't come here so you could saunter in playing nobleman, like you did in the old days. I won't let you talk through this. You're Mistborn. You fight."

Kelsier scoffed. "I'll use whatever tool I have to."

"You'll fight! Do you want to be weak again, let them take you again?"

Kelsier didn't answer. He shouldn't have told Gemmel anything. Never spoken of his concerns. That was a mistake, and the old man saw fit to tear at his scars at every opportunity.

"You want vengance on them, don't you?" Gemmel continued prodding. "You want to kill, don't you, for what they did to you and yours? For taking her from you? Well, boy?"

"Yes." Kelsier forced himself to smile.

"Yes," Kelsier repeated. "I'll have vengeance, Gemmel. I'll have it my way."

Despite the strong feelings boiling under the surface, Kelsier gave a thoughtful smile and an understanding nod. Duke was distant and had begun muttering non sequiturs to himself much as the mad old Gemmel had. And that got Kelsier thinking... Maybe Gemmel wasn't that much of a lunatic after all. Maybe he was just talking to a voice in his head. 

Either that or the possibility that Duke too, was simply not right in the head. 

"Thank you, that was helpful," Kelsier said, once Duke asked if he had offered enough information. Kelsier wanted to know more, but he concluded that the fastest way to learn of Duke's capabilities was to just test them himself. He had the feeling that it was nothing like any kind of Allomancy he knew, fairies and all. "Maybe we could go outside for a demonstration? Maybe even go head to head. With the open space, you could show me the extent of your shields, and I will show you what a Mistborn from my world is capable of." He smirked, then nodded to the nervous man beside Duke. "You too, Jowan. Come along. I hear you contributed too, so maybe you could explain and exhibit your abilities as well.

Rising with a flourish and finally throwing his head back to gulp his cooling tea, he used the opportunity to tuck away a few metal spoons into his coat while no one else was paying attention. No one here had allomancy, he figured, so it wouldn't hurt to have some objects he could throw. "I assume I can leave the dagger in your care for now, Twilight? It's quite stuck, but it should still work."

Edited by TehUltimateMage

b66ab1c5efcb9f5adfe252bf9169f6c7.png [ theo ; -- add. 0 for: a. ]

-- status.

legios ; dormant ]

grey ; knight of loyalty

--

Theo calms immediately when Arch touches him; his husband's fingers are gentle as he slides his gaze down, smiling softly. Blinking, the knight takes a second to compose himself as he registers the sight of the angel before him -- secure and unchanging, a constant in this quickly adapting new world they have embraced.

He retracts his spears, confidently led by the sound and pace of Arch's voice, and he smiles briefly, his eyes fluttering closed, as Arch leans in and gives him a gentle peck on the nose. When the angel pulls away Theo leans in instinctively, as if trying to capture the feeling of Arch's fingers on his skin once more. However, he catches himself a second later, and snaps to attention, easily following Arch up the stairs to the third level with his ears slightly tinted red, smiling to himself at the angel's obvious show of affection. 

Once the strange, star-like creature had lead them to the library, Arch dismissed it rather quickly. Trailing his eyes to the movement of the creature as it disappears, Theo wonders briefly: what exactly are the servants of this world? Could they be creations, like the ones that Annette and Christa so marvelously came up with, or were they something else entirely?

He once was not a man for the supernatural, but time -- and a certain encounter with a demon -- has taught him otherwise. Still, the star-creatures do not seem like demons per se, and so Theo regards it with more curiosity than he does hostility. 

Curiosity that is quickly interrupted by a shout. Before he can tell Arch to explore to his heart's content, the peaceful space between them is interrupted by an unfamiliar voice. Snapping his head in the direction of the noise, Theo catches sight of an unfamiliar face: a boy younger than them it seemed, with rather ordinary brown hair and cheerful eyes. Easily suspicious, Theo squints at the boy -- he seems to be alone, and who hangs out alone in a library of all places? -- and is silent, his quiet hostility an obvious play at making the other speak first. 

Edited by Shoukaku

Jowan 

Allies: Duke, Kelsier

Kelsier, fortunately, doesn’t press Duke for more information. He doesn’t agree with Kelsier about Duke’s explanation being helpful, but well, Duke looks happy to hear that. 

A demonstration? He’s a little nervous about that, to be frank, but he supposes that there’s nothing wrong with agreeing. It should be fun, and it’d be good to get a better look at Duke’s powers (even if the maze incident had gotten him far too acquainted with them already). Kelsier’s still a little intimidating, but he knows that he should get over that. “Yeah, okay, I’ll come. I might not um, be very impressive, though. Neria -- er, my friend -- she was always better -- I mean I’ve never been very good at this stuff,” he finishes, fumbling. It’s the truth. Aside from blood magic, which he’s still loath to reveal, he’s always been weak at magic. He doesn’t understand how Neria had always been so patient with him and hadn’t just left him behind. 

Duke’s words do little to convince Jowan that Duke is okay, but they do make him feel as though he’s perhaps crossed some sort of line. Duke sounds so surprised and so uneager to share. Then again, Jowan knows what it’s like to have unpleasant memories. They’re not something that he’d like to share at the moment either. Still, it’s hard not to take it personally, and an uneasy sense of guilt settles in his chest. “Yeah, let’s go.” 

latest?cb=20141130035308

Kelsier - Dining Hall > Outside the Castle

[flowers and fresh air] - [nostalgia] - [training lessons]

Back outside, with the green grass -- green! And it was everywhere! Kelsier figured that no other person from his world, skaa or noble, would've found the sight as delightful as he did. It appeared incredibly alien and almost hurt his eyes, though he welcomed the pain. Despite his instinct to save his reserves, he burned tin to saturate his senses, taking in the sights and the tactile feelings. The smell of flowers and dirt, and the quiet rustle of the plants, too many to count. Deep down in his soul there was a sort of sense that this is how things were supposed to be -- if not for that tyrant ruler and the calamity he had brought. 

Kelsier slowed his pace when he approached the edge of a shallow pond, where the grass gave way to dirt, and dirt gave way to riverside gravel. The water was amazingly clear -- he could see the rocky bottom where a few small fish swam. A few rocks were large enough to rise from the knee-high surface, their flat tops becoming islands to stand on within the pond.

"Nobody believes green grass even exists, on my world," Kelsier mused, distant. He was talking to the two young men who followed him out and caught up to where he stopped, but he didn't say much else, and his tone of voice implied that his thoughts were wholly elsewhere.

"See, look, it's shaped like this."  Mare reached for the pencil in his hand, and he let the woman take it. "Look at the picture. The petals are more teardrop shaped."

She began to draw the bell-shaped thing, her eyes darting between her own page and one stolen from a book, on which was printed a plant that looked nothing like the small leaves found throughout the empire. She brought the damn picture everywhere, tucked safely in a breast pocket. While at first it amused Kelsier how serious she was about pre-Ascension myths about green grass and crystaline water, he had to admit that her interests had rubbed off on him just a little. 

"If I were suddenly in this world with clear skies and fields of flowers," she said, "I'd keep burning my tin so I wouldn't miss a second of it."

The comment made Kelsier smile. "It's almost unfair how allomancers get to feel the world so much differently. If you were suddenly in that world, what you'll need to do is turn your head and tell me all about what you'll feel through those senses of yours."

Kelsier turned. Duke and Jowan were here. "This looks like a good spot. The water will give us some drama." He smirked, and raised his arms as if presenting the world to them. "If you're thinking of helping me with my world, you should know what you are against. My world's magic is called Allomancy. It's magic that draws powers from specific metals we have to eat. It too, is mostly a gift granted to those of noble blood, but like I mentioned earlier, it can show up in half-breeds like me."

He burned steel. Blue lines appeared in his vision, like an overlay pointing towards all nearby sources of metal -- the buttons and clasps on Duke's clothing, mostly. Kelsier shook the tension out of his hands and in the same movement, produced one of the spoons he had swiped from the dining hall. He lobbed the spoon at Duke, giving the utensil a little push so that it would arc and be easier to catch. "Hold that. Two of the most obvious Allomantic powers are those fueled using iron and steel. I'll show you what they're all about in a second."

Jowan 

He tries to imagine living that barren, ash-coated world without even the knowledge of grass existing and it’s somehow both easy and difficult. He can’t remember anything from before the Circle but his parents’ accusations of demon child and pain, and the apprentices hadn’t been allowed outside for years. Until his escape his existence had been windows too high to see out of, mazes of bookshelves, and Templars breathing down his neck. One could hear the wind whistling through the windows or catch a whiff of lake-scented air if they were lucky, but all of it was so unobtainable. Tantalizing, almost within reach, but not quite there. 

At least there hadn’t been any ash. 

Duke gives him a look and Jowan blinks back. “You have a dead man in your head,” he says, nearly deadpan enough to hide the unease he feels about the concept after what happened in the dining hall. Maybe enough jokes would be able to wipe it away completely; he doesn’t want to be scared around Duke. 

It’d be strange if Kelsier did just bite done on a spoon, but either way, consuming metal sounds normal compared to not being alone in one’s head. “Lyrium’s a type of metal,” he says before catching himself doing the same thing that Duke did and not explaining properly. Maybe he was a little harsh before; it’s surprisingly difficult to remember how commonplace things in Thedas aren’t normal in Duke or Kelsier’s worlds. “I don’t have to drink them, but potions made of lyrium recover ma- let me use more magic at once.” 

Stranger than the metal eating is the reminder that magic (or Allomancy, whatever Kelsier wanted to call it) is something that nobles have, like Tevinter. Is it a rule of the multiverse that mages being in power leads to corruption? It’s hard not to accept the Chantry’s words about it. 

But the gathered acolytes turned from him,
For there was nothing but ambition
Where hearts once beat within them.
And ninety-nine knives gleamed in the firelight
As the sacrifices began

“You wouldn’t have to worry much about nobles with magic where I’m from,” he says, voice quiet and serious. 

latest?cb=20141130035308

Kelsier - Outside the Castle

[kelsier's private lesson] - [every action has a reaction]

Duke stared at the spoon quizzically, as if it were the key to his abilities. Kelsier laughed. "We don't actually swallow the metal whole. Specialized people prepare vials of flakes suspended in alcohol with the proper ratio and purity, and we drink it. If the alloy is made incorrectly, using the metals could make an allomancer sick."

Activating iron, he used his power to yank on the spoon. He raised a hand to catch it, but Duke's grip on it was tight -- the young man lurched forward along the line of force, pulled by his arm. Kelsier's boots scraped against the gravel as he slid forward from the pull's reaction, until the other man, Jowan, added his weight to the system by anchoring Duke. 

Kelsier stumbled.

Flaring pewter out of reflex, he recovered his balance, stopping his face mere millimeters from colliding with Duke's. He was close enough to see every one of the young man's pores with incredible sharpness -- partly because his senses were still augmented -- and smell a faint hint of tree nuts through the musk of adrenaline. Those blue eyes, irises formed from stringy flesh shaped like wisps of mist and pupils opening a void into eternity, were as vivid a color as the star-sprinkled sky above them.

"Iron and steel." His lips were close, too close. "They pull and push, respectively, on any source of metal."

He flared his steel and shoved the boy away, pushing against his buttons and belt clasp. Kelsier's feet slid backwards from the counter-reaction until his boots were in the water. He didn't seem to care. "What can you infer from seeing it, feeling it?"

dcv6upn-d1811c04-0097-440d-838e-2cd323bd

Cure Scarlet, Princess of Crimson Flames
<Status: Stable>
<Form: Pretty Cure>
<Location: Dining Hall -> 3rd Floor Library>
<Agents: Arch | Theo | Sorey>

~

With the meeting concluded, Cure Scarlet was determined to learn all she could about this mysterious group, this "X-DREAMERS." Maybe, just maybe, they could help her reclaim the Hope Kingdom from Dyspear. It'd be a long shot...

But she'd have to learn of all the various worlds in the multiverse first, so it wouldn't be too farfetched to assume that this place had a library in which she could do so. By knowing about these worlds, she believed that she could possibly be better prepared to react to however each world's inhabitants behaved, and that she would be more well-versed in how each world worked compared to her own.

Of course, just because Princess Twilight Sparkle wasn't malevolent didn't mean there weren't members of the organization who didn't harbor ill intent. Some of those at the meeting had definitely proven to potentially be harmful not just to her, but to the whole organization and possibly to themselves. But she'd learn about them more after doing her research on the worlds themselves.

She politely bid Hibiki farewell before seeking out the library...

~~

Those star creatures - those "lumas" - were quite helpful. Twilight sure knew how to run the place. That was good - it meant the title of Princess was more than just a title. She knew how to rule - perhaps Twilight didn't quite realize it yet, but Scarlet could see a lot of herself in the equine princess. Needless to say, the lumas were helpful in locating the library. It was on the third floor, apparently...

So to the third floor she went, going up several flights of stairs and passing by more lumas. The second floor had a large multitude of rooms - she made a mental note to see about claiming one as her own later.

Still, Scarlet was not prepared for what was on the other side of the door to the library once she reached it. Upon entering the library, three more people entered her line of sight.

"O-Oh! Well, this is a surprise..." Scarlet looked around. She recognized the angel and the angry-looking human from the meeting - she found that faces were very hard to forget. "...if I'm not mistaken, you two are Arch and Theo, yes? I recognize you both from the meeting, and I daresay that might be the most memorable meeting I've ever been to - and I've been to plenty."

She then looks at the brown-haired human. "...but I don't think I saw you alongside them. Allow me to introduce myself. I am Cure Scarlet, Princess of the Hope Kingdom, but just Scarlet will work... and my true name is Towa Akagi, before you ask." She politely curtsies in front of him. "...and what, pray tell, is your name? I can't just call you 'you' all the time."

Jowan 

a flame ignited in my fragile heart

There’s a blur of movement and suddenly Duke is pitching forward and away from him. He doesn’t think, only grabs forward to stop Duke from falling, but Duke’s momentum is more than he expected. He’s dragged forward along with Duke and ends up practically hanging on his arm to stay upright. Kelsier explains what iron and steel are used for, and then Jowan shrieks and they’re falling -- 

-- he’s sprawled over Duke, their faces only a few inches apart. Seconds are measured in thudding heartbeats, both his own and Duke’s. A faint dusting of pink covers his cheekbones, interrupted by the dark splotch of his intricate tattoo. His hair fans out behind him in glittering sun-kissed waves, and Jowan is struck by the urge to card his fingers through the soft locks. He lets his eyes meet Duke’s blue ones, bright in both color and expression, and travel down to his lips -- 

“Hi. Sorry, I ... slipped."

The spell breaks and Jowan is reminded of where he is. With a high-pitched noise that may have been an apology he pushes himself off of Duke and into a standing position, fingers running through his still-damp hair to try to mask his embarrassment. His face and ears burn, and he knows that it’s too much to hope that it won’t be noticed. He clasps his hands together to stop their fidgeting and says, looking at Kelsier’s shoes because that’s as far away from Duke as possible, “That sounds useful. What other types of metal are there?” Perhaps if Kelsier keeps talking he’ll be able to succeed in ignoring what just happened and how much of a fool he made of himself.  

latest?cb=20170317034216

Sorey - 3rd Floor Library

[new people!] - [seraphs behind shelves]

Sorey was no stranger to princesses. In fact, princesses were regular people just like everyone else, even if they had a few more responsibilities compared to the average person.

"I've barely seen anyone around lately, so this is a surprise... I'm Sorey! Just Sorey. Nice to meet you, Scarlet, Arch, and Theo!" He introduced himself, smiling and giving a little wave to the other three with his gloved hand. 

The angel looked like the total opposite of his scowling companion. He was smiling as if he saw something wonderful. Sorey looked behind him, wondering what he was looking at, before realizing that Arch was looking at him. A little embarrassed, he ran a hand through his hair and chuckled to himself. Seraph or no, it was a little awkward that the being was bowing to him. "What meeting? I wasn't at the meeting downstairs, but you're right, I'm new to this place."

"I've just been, ah, looking around the library to see what kind of books they have. It looks like a pretty extensive collection, judging by all the different kinds of literature on the shelves spanning an incredibly broad range of topics. Where are we, anyway?" he asked. "I don't think anybody actually told us that yet..." He pressed his lips together, but his smile was still present in the twinkle in his eyes and the upturned corners of his lips.

HIdden among the rows of books, Lailah shushed the other two seraphim so she could hear Sorey's conversation better. "It doesn't look like any of them can see us," she whispered, "and if they can, they're not really reacting. But it's really hard to tell."

~~~

latest?cb=20141130035308

[kelsier's private lesson] - [can you believe this]

Kelsier blinked.

The only conclusion that Duke had drawn was that steelpushes were... strong. How had these two boys managed to hold their own against an inquisitor? Airheaded and naive, without a shred of awareness. Seeing them tangled, practically frolicking in the grass, Kelsier began to wonder if Duke's claims to an inquisitor were a complete fabrication from beginning to end. But... how did he come out relatively unscathed after the Survivor had seen him intercept the creature?

He did not comment on their mutual blushing. His eyes darted instead to the landscape beyond. Much of the planet remained uncharted to him, though the curvature of the horizon astounded him. It seemed like the terrain was too mild, too soft, with its gently rolling hills and soft bunny-mounds. The circumstances were different at that time Duke fought the inquisitor. The stakes were higher in Luthadel. But unfortunately, here there were no cliffs on this planet to fling Duke off of and activate his survival instinct -- though the roof of the castle might do if he needed to put the young man under high stress.

For now, though, the keener of the two young men wanted to stay on task. Kelsier obliged.

"The next two metals -- out of eight in total -- are Tin and Pewter, and they affect the person using them. You can't feel their effects, but know that Tin increases all your senses. With it I can faintly hear your racing heartbeat and see the sweat on your brow. People using Tin are called Tineyes, and they are exceptionally good at spotting danger or sniffing out hidden threats." Exceptionally useful, though not nearly as dangerous. Once a tineye is caught, that was the end of them. The Lord Ruler... how did he find out? Dammit...!

"Pewter increases strength and stamina," he continued without skipping a beat, chasing away thoughts of Mare. "With Pewter, those Thugs have immense physical power and can shrug off broken bones -- though once they run out of reserves, all their pain and exhaustion hits them at once."

He crossed his arms, stepping out of the pool, and nodded. "Steel, Iron, Tin, and Pewter," Kelsier reiterated, because these young men weren't exactly the brightest of the bunch -- and for half a moment he wondered why he even bothered to explain all this to them. He was giving the crash course so they could be better informed strategically, but it didn't seem that any of them really fought strategically at all. "Pushing, pulling, senses, and strength. Those are likely the main powers the inquisitor had used. They're... exceptionally strong in those areas, though it's a mystery how they heal themselves so quickly, even with pewter..."

"The other metals don't matter right now," he finished. Kelsier was convinced that the lesson would stick better if it were more physical... and truthfully, he was eager to see Duke's abilities in action before the explanations became boring. "They relate to manipulating emotions and sensing magic, but they're not important in a one on one fight. We can save those for later."

EXsV3pX.png

qgIodWH.png

♫ Name // Lara Croft  ♫

♫ Players // Stan ♫

♫ Support // lol what support ♫

♫ Status // Much happier, actually♫

~~Never been better, but… I actually have been better.~~

Lara had taken a seat on Stan’s bed whilst Stan made his way into the bathroom. She sighed, looking down at the ground. It was, in fact, a good kiss- best she’d ever had. It had left her breathless, euphoric, and she felt she had fallen just a little deeper in love. But… was she allowed to let herself fall so hard for him? Sure, she loved him dearly. Sure, he seemed like he suffered his own heartbreak, and perhaps he had his own doubts. She would doubt so many things had she been in a relationship with herself. Part of her wondered if she could tell him about what happened the last time she fell too hard. Another part of her wondered if she would ever be able to trust again. Much of her was uncertain what he even saw in her, but it shouldn’t have mattered. He saw something in her that she really didn’t see, that was the only thing that reassured her.

….Or did it? Her thoughts wandered as she heard the water turn on. Yes, she and Stan kissed. Yes, they both admitted feelings for each other. But were they in a relationship as a result? This was something she would have to pursue further. Lara sighed and began twiddling her thumbs. He never said he loved her in the way she loved him, no…. He “really liked” her. That almost worried her. She remembered the last time she fell in too deep, and it damn well near destroyed her. But perhaps that time was a dark one for several reasons, and she didn’t know what was the worst part of that entire swamp of hell.

A swamp, indeed. That was the perfect analogy for it. So many things had surrounded her legs- thigh deep, so that the more she tried to trudge through the messier it was, the harder it was to get out of there. Sometimes she thought she never really got out of it to begin with- but rather the mud had become more shallow. Perhaps it was about knee deep. Lara wondered, then, if she would ever be able to truly get out of that cursed swamp.  

Lara’s mind wandered further, until it started going to a place she regretted revisiting.

Henry, I don’t understand why you won’t talk to me. You know it’s been rough, I’m genuinely sorry I haven’t had time to see you… Errol’s been very firm that I not inherit the estate, it’s been…. Busy.

Henry didn’t bother looking at her. She could see in the corner of his emerald eyes that he was upset, pensive. Lara had no idea why he was suddenly so quiet, usually it was the other way around. At least, that was how it was as of late. What was wrong?

Love, I said I’m sorry---

Stop calling me that,” Henry snapped at her. Lara grew silent. It was then that her heart fell right into her stomach, the acid splashing back up into her throat. She had a very, very bad feeling about that.

H-Henry, what---

“I said to stop calling me ‘love’. We don’t even know what that stupid word means. ‘Love’, she says, as if in ten years we’ll even be in love. As if nothing was wrong.”

“Henry, what the devil are you saying? Please, just tell me what’s wrong!”

“All of it, that’s what’s wrong here.” Henry put a hand through his deep chocolate locks, clearly not knowing what to say to her. But Lara knew what was coming at that point. So it was only a matter of time before he was going to say it. And when it did…. “All this drama- all of this crap that I never even asked for. This legal battle, this expectation that I’m going to for some reason marry you, all of it! Lara, I don’t understand any of it, we’re only seventeen! And you’ve brought up the idea of marriage in the future, are you that idealistic? Lara. I…. Do you even know what you want? What I want?” Lara was silent. Sure, she had mentioned marriage in teasing, but a part of her had hoped that they would, someday, get married. She had loved him, had she not? Did he not love her? What were all these vile words he was saying to her?

Indeed, it was nothing short of cruel. Her father had joined her mother in the afterlife. Her own uncle was trying to take the estate out from under her. Her best friend was in another country. She was totally alone if Henry was leaving.

“I’m tired of it,” Henry growled, “I’m sick and tired of all of your drama! I don’t want any part of it anymore! I….” Lara noticed his facial expression drop from a snarl to one of guilt. There was the Henry she knew- the shy, meek one. The one she had fallen in love with at first. The one with the faint French accent that could never go away, her favorite voice to listen to. The one who, when he looked at her, looked at her as if nobody else in the world existed. The one who liked books and archaeology like she. The one with whom she would share all of her stories, all of her secrets-- had it all been in vain? Had it been a mistake…? “I’m sorry, Lara… I… I just can’t do this anymore.” His eyes were sad, but certain. He had thought about this for some time, and he was done. It was the worst time for him to be done, but he was done. There was no convincing him otherwise.

Lara’s heart broke within two months of the last time it did so. 17 May, 1994, was a day she would never, ever forget. But it wasn’t a date she would keep in the back of her mind- not like the day they told her Father was never to return, and certainly not like Mother’s death. No. But it was certainly a day that would leave a dull ache in her heart.

...Then get out.” Lara’s voice had become frigid, steely, and unwilling to let Henry know just how she truly felt. No, he couldn’t see how hurt she was. “Get the hell out of this manor, and don’t bother contacting me again.” Lara turned away, feeling the tears well up in her eyes. She knew that if she looked at him for any longer, she would do one of three things- burst into tears, send a foot up his arse, or send Amanda on him. She and Amanda had each other’s backs ever since they met when Lara visited the States two years ago, and she knew that Amanda would not be kind to Henry if she caught wind of this.

Henry walked out, and Lara knew for a fact that he didn’t look back. She hoped and prayed that she wouldn’t, either.

Lara had revisited that day numerous times, wondering where she went wrong. Henry Lefevre…. A name she wanted to forget, but alas she never could. It had killed her when she heard Duke say his full name for the first time, but she knew they had no relation. And when she thought of that, she thanked every deity on her world, and perhaps every deity beyond her world as well. For had they been related, even remotely, she didn’t think she could bear to be around Duke for a little while. As long as she didn’t continue to make that connection, though, she was alright. She was lucky that Henry wasn’t her deepest wound. Far from it, really.

She pinched the bridge of her nose, knowing that the more she thought of it the more likely tears would come. And she didn’t want to worry Stan, did she? No, no, it was too late. Lara buried her face in her hands, and she felt the all-too familiar feeling of her shoulders beginning to shake. Her breaths became shorter, and her heart began to ache once more. Not just because of Henry, he didn’t have that effect on her anymore. But Amanda, her parents, the family she was forced to abandon because it was her fault- her bloody fault- that Amelia DeMornay Croft was dead, and them seeing her brought back rather upsetting memories…. It was an avalanche, and when she tried to come back for air, more came. She worried, would it be her fault if she lost Stan? Would it be her fault if he walked out on her? All of her worries, her insecurities, they came out at once. She was scared, sure, but she had been hurt too many times.

Damn, Lara thought to herself, I go from the happiest woman on the planet to wanting to disappear…. What the devil happened to me?

Jowan 

Jowan manages to work up the courage to look up at Kelsier’s face to better focus on his words. Kelsier doesn’t seem to have noticed or cared about their embarrassing fall, and instead glances across the field with sharp, careful eyes. Despite their different eye colors, Kelsier’s gaze reminds him of Neria’s, and he can almost imagine him with her ice-chip blue. Neither of them seemed to miss anything, but where she had been comforting and understanding Kelsier makes him feel as though he is being scrutinized for weaknesses. It’s disconcerting. 

“You can't feel their effects, but know that Tin increases all your senses. With it I can faintly hear your racing heartbeat and see the sweat on your brow.”

Ah. That would do it. For a moment he tries to force his heartbeat to slow down, but then he remembers that that’s not something that he can control. Stupid useless body.

He’s disappointed by Kelsier’s refusal to explain the other types of Allomancy and almost speaks out in protest, but Kelsier did say later, not never. As much as he hated being locked out from any information about magic, it sounded more as if Kelsier wanted to explain the first four metals further rather than hide information about the other four. Instead, he focuses on internalizing the information. Lacking parchment to write on, the fingers of his right hand trail across his left arm to trace the vague shapes of letters as Kelsier speaks. Consumption Steel push Iron pull Tin eyes Pewter strength. The movements are calming and help him focus, pushing thoughts of Duke and the fall out of his head. 

When Kelsier finishes, he speaks. “The Inquisitor… it had spikes of metal through its eyes. Did tin let it see us anyway?” He hadn’t been able to tell in the rush of the fight. It had seemed impossible for something with no eyes to see, but the Inquisitor hadn’t seemed hindered. 

The presence of the spikes didn’t make any sense to him -- it had been intimidating, but that didn’t seem like a good enough reason to hinder oneself. Allomancy was tied to metals, so it only made sense for the spikes to be related, but he didn’t understand how. The equivalent of driving lyrium into a person’s body would only cause poisoning (and be absurdly expensive), and Kelsier had said that metals had to be consumed to be used. Maybe the spikes were related to focusing allomancy, like a lyrium-infused staff, or defense, like enchanted jewelry? Cutting off the speculation, he asks. “What were those for, anyway?” 

Eager to understand as much as he can, he thinks back to what Kelsier had said about running out of reserves. The Inquisitor hadn’t seemed to slow down at all during the fight, but the fight had been so short that Jowan doubts that his mana would have been strained if he’d been using it. His magic had its own time limit and the Inquisitor had been powerful, so he doubts that he would have a chance of outlasting one, but it wouldn’t hurt to know. “You mentioned running out of metal… how long does that take?” 

latest?cb=20141130035308

[kelsier's private lesson] - [at least this one isn't dumb]

Kelsier grinned. Duke's companion, Jowan, appeared to be the smart and curious one, who actually bothered to ask questions. One of them was straightforward and answerable, so he tackled that one first. "How long does it take to run out? Depends on the metal and how hard you draw on it. Nothing stops you from eating a whole lot of shavings to stock up, but if they stay in your body for too long you risk getting poisoned. A vial or two of metals can last me the better part of a night if I don't burn them strongly, and I burn away the excess before I sleep."

His other question was about inquisitors -- the topic being brought up likely because Kelsier just mentioned those creatures himself. Unfortunately, despite having a bad habit of poking the hornets, Kelsier didn't know much about the inquisitors themselves other than the fact that they were abnormally strong allomancers and performed messy executions. "Inquisitors are a real mystery. Only person who probably knows how they work is the Lord Ruler himself. They have some form of sight even if they don't have eyes, but I don't think it's tin. Blinded tineyes can't restore their sight." The survivor pointed a finger to his eyes before he continued, "It's possible though, that the inquisitors might be sensing metal to help them orientate -- when I burn steel or iron passively, I see lines that point towards any metal that I can push or pull. Hard to say, though, since they can obviously see me even when I'm not wearing anything metallic. "

Jowan's interest in these creatures was clear. Kelsier himself thought about them a lot as well, trying to find the optimal way to destroy them. He could only flee them -- head to head in a one on one battle, he would have a hard time winning unscathed. That's why, in his master plan, the idea was to lure them out of Luthadel first. "The Lord Ruler is said to have created all the inquisitors, so maybe he hammered in those spikes himself." He shrugged. "They each have a dozen more spikes down their backs, and I don't think it's just for show. Maybe it ties them back to the Lord Ruler or something."

Kelsier stopped for a moment, if only to put emphasis on the next statement. "A sure way to kill one is to pull out the spike at the back of its neck. Taking out the other spikes don't seem to have nearly as much of a dramatic effect."

"Jowan." He addressed the dark haired man directly this time, seeking answers from someone who had an easier time explaining things than someone who gestured wildly and spoke vaguely. "What really happened when you two faced the inquisitor?"

Jowan 

Jowan nods. The lack of a limit for how much metal someone can have at once, unlike mana, is interesting, but he doubts that they could use it against the Inquisitors. If anyone had enough metal in their body to last practically forever, surely it would be the elites of the Lord Ruler’s army. 

He thinks for a moment, pondering Kelsier’s words. If it’s not eyes, but they can sense metal, and they could sense people that weren’t wearing any metal… “What about the iron in blood? Or metal that you’ve eaten?” Maybe it was a stupid thought -- surely if allomancers could sense the metal in people’s bodies Kelsier would know about it -- but maybe there was some blood magic equivalent that let the Inquisitors do normally impossible things? Maybe it was the spikes, amplifying their powers? 

“I’m going to guess that you can’t just,” he waves his hands around in a vague gesture. “Pull the spikes out with allomancy.” 

“Well,” he says. “I’m not sure how much more I can tell you. The Inquisitor was running, so Duke stopped it with his barriers, and then it… Duke was on the ground and his sword was gone, I guess it Pushed or Pulled. I don’t know which. I attacked it with an Arcane Bolt -- ah, that’s just a basic magic attack -- and I don’t think it tried to dodge, but I don’t know if I hit it.” He doesn’t know what Kelsier’s looking for, exactly, so all he can do is hope that he isn’t including too much or too little information. “Duke was hurt and the Inquisitor was Pulling him towards his barrier so I--” At this he pauses briefly, glancing down and scratching at the bandage on his arm. “-- paralyzed the Inquisitor. With magic. Then Duke used his barriers to make the bridge we were standing on collapse and we ran.” 

latest?cb=20141130035308

[kelsier's private lesson] - [theories with jowan] - [duke's thunderdome]

"That's... a good theory." Blood tasted like iron, but Kelsier never thought about the trace metals found within it. If they could somehow see blood, that did confirm the inquisitors' uncanny ability to see people. "Metal that's pierced through or otherwise inside a body is safe. It's an old coinshot's trick to keep a coin under your tongue for emergencies."

Aha, finally. A step by step breakdown of the encounter, and the most helpful piece of information Kelsier had obtained since the vial of sand was presented in the meeting hall. Kelsier put a hand to his chin, masking his surprise over the depth of Jowan's involvement -- Duke hadn't mentioned his friend's help outside of moral support. 

"We battled on the bridge," Duke had said, earlier at the circle of stones. "But I must give credit to my companion as well -- I could not have had the success I did without someone by my side."

While bringing down a bridge was an impressive feat, Kelsier realized that his focus had been on the wrong person this entire time. Duke's habit of omitting information didn't seem to stem from malice or a deliberate attempt to sponge up the fame... It just seemed like he was too jovial to realize what he was doing. An unwavering loyalty to the cause was useful, he just wasn't certain what he would end up doing with this young man. Maybe if Duke could listen to orders, have someone else think for him?

Jowan, while entirely modest, told him that he had access to magic as well, and a type of magic that could incapacitate inquisitors much more easily than fighting them head to head with Allomancy. Arcane bolt, paralysis... those were names that evoked images of incredible feats of powerful energy. While speaking, however, Jowan's hands drew attention to the bloodied bandage on his wrist. Kelsier wondered if it was an injury sustained in the fight on the bridge, but the location seemed entirely too subtle for a cut from an inquisitor's axe. Or maybe it was a wound that was older.

Only after the facts had been laid out for him, Duke seemed to puff out his chest and elaborate properly. His flare for the dramatic was reawakened and once again he thanked his allies -- including the skaa local who had followed them -- though Kelsier's attention was on the crystallizing forms of the acclaimed barriers by Vylcan. He followed them all the way up until they joined and sealed, effectively creating a bubble isolated from the outside. He burned bronze. Much like how the woman in yellow had magic that felt nothing like allomancy to his magic-seeking ability, the walls here seemed to sing to him with their pulses.

Curious to see how one of these could have held off an inquisitor, the Survivor produced another spoon from his sleeves and wound up to throw it forward with all his might. Accelerated by steel, the utensil shot through the air -- spinning -- until it suddenly changed direction and ricocheted back towards him in a burst of blue light. It made an audible clink like a spoon against a robust drinking glass and too late did Kelsier notice the newest barrier before the spoon and its uncontrolled velocity snapped him right between the eyes.

He clutched his forehead and took in a sharp breath between his teeth, but he was smiling.

Jowan 

f4r0Deq.gif

In a blur, Kelsier launches something glittering and silver towards Duke. Jowan yelps and leaps backwards as the object collides with one of Duke’s barriers and ricochets back to hit Kelsier in the face. The object… another spoon? falls down into the grass. For a moment Jowan is concerned, but Kelsier smiles and doesn’t seem too injured. 

"Didn't know we were fighting already. Seems like you got a bit of a ... head start." 

Jowan blinks at Duke in exasperation, then quickly gathers a ball of icy mist in his hands and launches it towards Duke. It’s an intentionally weak attack, done for speed over power, and wouldn’t hurt Duke. Much, anyway, but being chilled is a reasonable punishment for making terrible puns. 

perish

Edited by Zor

latest?cb=20141130035308

[fight fight fight!] - [Duke's thunderdome]

Kelsier's intent was to test the barrier by throwing a spoon at it. The move backfired spectacularly.

He concludes that the visibility of the dome's walls was a diversion -- he feels ecstatic over how he had just been had by one of the oldest tricks in the book. But now he knows -- Duke's barriers were fast when he needed them to be.

His forehead is still throbbing from the self-inflicted strike, but soon dulls into a background pulse when he draws upon pewter to regain his focus. His intent was not to begin a brawl by casting the first strike, but now the time for explanations seemed to be over. Kelsier feels no need to speak of his intentions anymore -- the spoon-throw was simply another facet of his ever-evolving plans.

The green world was beautiful, but the green world had nothing for him to use. There is nothing for him to pull himself towards, nor anything that would allow him to soar through the air and perform amazing feats of agility. Furthermore, the barrier roof put a limit on how high he could jump with the spoons.

With his mobility limited, Kelsier was at an inherent, frustrating disadvantage. So instead of using the fancy allomancy, he decides to do it the old fashioned way.

Kelsier lunges forward while Duke's back is turned. He appeared to be distracted by Jowan's own little magical spell -- oh, so it was a free for all? -- and he makes a note to use that against them. The older man crosses the space between them with two grand steps and he leaps, twisting through the air and throwing his weight into a kick aimed square for Duke's back.

The Survivor was never known to fight fairly.

W̨͞h̨͞͞e҉̡͠҉r̡͜͏e̡͟ ̛͢ì̶̢n̢̛ ͜҉t͜͡h̷͡҉͘e̕͟ ̸̡͡ẃ̷̕o̧̕͡r̴̢l͜҉d̛͞͝s̵̡ ̵̶͏i̢̡͏s̛ ̸͞C̴͝ì̷͡s̵͏t͢͞i̧̡̡n̷̛͟á?̷̢͟

Duke replied, and Cistina chuckled, shaking her head slightly at her companion’s exaggerated pain. What if someone did not know of your flamboyancy? She looked up at the man who punched him and frowned before standing up and turning back to concern herself with Kelsier, who… Had certainly captured the attentions of Dynarst and… Who was this person? Did they accidentally kidnap someone else?

He was preaching of his rebellion. Cistina thinned her lips and stepped forward to--

A distortion!? Now?!

Her foot never touched the grass as her surroundings shifted, and instead she pitched forward and fell, barely catching herself in midair before she crashed into a tree. Birds flew away from her sudden appearance, shrieking loudly, a pleasantly sweet aroma tinged the air, and she could see buildings on the other side of the trees. And thrumming at the back of her mind--no, it wasn’t quite the back, but she couldn’t tell which direction it was the strongest at. She raised her head and moved towards a branch on the tree to sit on before closing her eyes and concentrating.

… Goddess? Not that she expected a reply.

~Location: ???~

"...Are you alright?"

A woman called out to Cistina, wearing a full ensemble of black from hairclips to heels and her long hair a brillant blond. She witnessed her stumble into a tree and, curiously, seemed to levitate herself into its branches. A psychic, perhaps? she speculated. The dark blue dragon-like monster beside her -- bipedal and nearly standing as tall as her -- tilted its head, curious. This human in yellow wasn't there just a minute ago, and her appearance had spooked all the Starly in the area.

~

Cistina snapped open her eyes and stiffened at the voice. The [lack of] weapons she had with her and the leather of her armor instead of the chainmail she preferred suddenly was all too keen in her mind as she regarded the duo. But... The woman was looking at her with bemusement, and the monstrous reptile standing next to the woman was looking at her in a manner that reminded her more of the slight cock of the head her younger sister gave when she was puzzled than the malicious spark in a monster’s eye before it tried to rip apart someone’s throat. It should be safe, she decided, and if she needed to get away, she could fly.

Thank you, I am perfectly well,” Cistina replied. Briefly, the thought of posing as a normal person from this world occurred to her, but when considering everything else, that was unlikely to be plausible. There was also the potential for this world to be another victim of the ongoing distortions--if she were to give warning, though, perhaps the anchor(s) of this could be secured from disaster.

~

“That’s a relief.” Knowingly, the woman looked over her shoulder to the path beyond -- though her dragon companion kept an eye on the strange lady covered in soot. That lady in yellow looked like she was dressed from another region entirely, and perhaps… perhaps her assumptions about her would end up being correct. Her intuition was rarely wrong. “Floaroma town is the nearest settlement. Moreso than the flowers, it’s known for its excellent honey. Do you have any pokemon on hand? The creatures here aren’t very strong, but it would be wise to stay vigilant.”

The woman looked down into the grove that Cistina was in the edge of.

~

On her part, Cistina looked back at the reptile after the woman spoke, still feeling too trepedicious about the creature to land, then turned her attention back to the woman as she spoke up again. There was a certain look in her eyes, and she introduced their location and asked her if she had any “Pokemon.” Did she already know? Had the woman already traveled between worlds? Cistina remembered hearing the term thrown around before, but wasn’t especially familiar with what it meant. She felt a brief flash of panic before she reminded herself that she wasn’t trying to hide. That would be unnecessary.

I thank you for informing me of where I am and of the local creatures,” she replied. “I cannot answer your question, however; I do not know what ‘Pokemon’ are. My pardons, but I am not from your world.

~

Ah, there it was. The woman didn't react to the news that she was standing before an otherworldly visitor, who looked quite a bit lost. Instead, she put a thoughtful hand to her lips. "You may know more about my conundrum, then..." she trailed off. "Pardon me, where are my manners? I'm Cynthia, a pokemon trainer, and this is Garchomp."

The dark blue dragon gave a proud nod, before resuming her work searching for something on the ground. Cynthia gave her a little pat and smiled. "Pokemon are the monsters of this world. While there are many who live in the wilderness, they can be captured and tamed. Often, they become inseparable companions to the humans they fight for."

Cynthia extended a hand out for a shake. "It would be wiser to continue our discussion on the way to the town instead of out in the trees, so follow me."

~

The woman accepted her statement and Cistina let out a breath she wasn’t aware she was holding. At her introduction, Cistina bowed. When she included her blue reptile--”Garchomp”--it perked, and stood straighter. Almost like… Oxionne and her dragons. At this thought, Cistina nodded to herself. So this is a world where humans and monsters live together. I wonder if relationships like that Ganpp has with his gryphons are commonplace?

“I am Cistina,” she introduced in turn. “I’ve been named a warrior by many those of my home, and a shaman by others.No need to mention that I had been deemed one by one of the goddesses of our world. Cistina stepped off the tree and let herself land--Garchomp still made her feel wary, but it was focused on something in the ground--and shook Cythina’s proffered hand.

Very well,” Cistina nodded. “As well, if you do not mind, I have a few questions I would like to ask you.

b66ab1c5efcb9f5adfe252bf9169f6c7.png [ theo ; -- add. 0 for: a. ]

-- status.

legios ; dormant ]

grey ; knight of loyalty

--

"If he continues, he won't have a throat to tell stories from," Theo mutters in response to his husband's words, although his body language shows otherwise; the knight physically relaxes in response to Arch's words, comfortable once more. Perhaps he had been a bit ... quick to action. 

Friends? At Arch's words, Theo tunes into the conversation with his full attention; he draws himself away from his self-introduction to Cure Scarlet and stares curiously. What ... was Arch referring to? Hidden attackers, or something else?

With every passing second he grows ever more suspicious of this 'Sorey''s actions. 

Edited by Shoukaku

Jowan 

f4r0Deq.gif

Jowan grins with the thrill of managing to hit Duke. It had been so long since he’d had a chance to spar that he’d almost forgotten how fun it was. A wince of sympathy briefly interrupts his smile when Kelsier kicks Duke, but it’s back soon after. Not his fault that Duke, the only one in the fight that could create barriers, couldn’t manage to defend himself. “Try paying more attention,” he taunts. “I find it helps.” 

Even better, Duke turns his back to him to focus on Kelsier. It’s as if his attention span is so short that he can’t pay attention to more than one threat at once, and Jowan fully intends to use this. He almost feels bad for attacking Duke while he’s focused on Kelsier, but it’s not as though real enemies would give him a moment to rest. Neria had never allowed Jowan’s moments of distraction to go unpunished when they spared, and she had managed to stop a Blight. Clearly she knew how to do something right. 

Across the hall another apprentice’s robes catch aflame. They’re quickly doused with an ice spell from their partner, but Jowan turns his head for long enough for Neria to hit his gut with a well-placed jab of her staff. He swears, clutching the bruising spot with one hand. “What was that for?” 

“All’s fair,” Neria says, a pleased glint in her eyes. “Let’s keep going?” 

Jowan rolls his eyes and retaliates. 

He almost falters at the memory, the sparks gathering in his hands nearly fizzling out, but he manages to send the crackling lightning at Duke’s back. Once again the spell wasn’t meant to cause injuries, but it would be an unpleasant jolt. He wishes that he had his staff with him; not having something in his hands to defend with is an uncomfortable feeling, and it’s difficult to focus spells without one. 

zap

dcv6upn-d1811c04-0097-440d-838e-2cd323bd

Towa Akagi, Princess of the Hope Kingdom
<Status: Stable>
<Form: Pretty Cure -> Civilian>
<Location: 3rd Floor Library>
<Agents: Arch | Theo | Sorey>

~

Scarlet smiles a little - Arch was such a gentleman! "Please, Arch, just Scarlet will do. Although, if you insist on calling me by my title..."

A flash of light, and Cure Scarlet changed to a form more befitting a civilian; her long pink hair was now short and red (although it still had a similar hairstyle), and she now wore a simple white dress, a white lacy headband, a red butterfly-shaped pendant, and red shoes with little white bows on them.

"...then Princess Towa will also suffice, but only when I look like this. There's a reason why I keep two names, and it's to keep my identity as Cure Scarlet separate from this civilian identity."

She listened as Arch spoke about him and Theo having been brought to this world through... literally the exact same circumstances as her and Hibiki. "I, too, arrived here not too long ago... though it upsets me that my three friends and teammates back home will have to deal without me for a while. Oh, I hope they're going to be okay against the dark forces..." She paused, thinking about her friends for a few moments. "That being said, I don't have the slightest inkling as to how I got here, either; one minute I was fighting my world's forces of darkness alongside my team, and the next, I was at that strange place people here call the 'Gateway.'"

Arch then mentioned Sorey's... friends? What friends? When Towa followed Arch's line of sight, she saw nobody...

Maybe he had the ability to see the unseen?

latest?cb=20141130035308

Kelsier - Outside the Castle

[fight fight fight!] - [Duke's thunderdome]

He hit! Kelsier's strike makes Duke stumble but not quite fall. Kelsier follows through the motion and lands lightly on his feet. No sooner, he sees a shimmering barrier materialize before him, separating himself from the other two.

The dome meant that Duke was able to sustain barriers outside of his line of sight -- the fact that he chose not to wall himself in on four sides meant that he was an idiot who didn't realize he could do something like that.

Kelsier continued to burn steel. One of the leading lines in his vision -- thin, but bright -- points to the spoon that Duke still clutched in his hand. His grip had weakened enough. Kelsier gives it a shove outwards and the metal utensil goes flying from Duke's fingers -- and with an equally strong pull, Kelsier whips the teaspoon back towards himself to try and beat the barrier.

While he could have harassed the other side by playing with that one piece of metal, Kelsier instead releases his hold on it, allowing its momentum to work for him. He reaches into the pockets of his cloak; his hands emerge with the rest of the stolen spoons held between his fingers. He tosses half of them upward, his eyes focused forward instead of at the metal in the glittering light, and allows the spoons to fall where they fall and scatter across the floor of the dome.

latest?cb=20141130035308

[fight fight fight!] - [the sky is falling]

Kelsier raises his eyebrows as Duke quite literally taps out, exiting his own barrier with a backwards lunge almost as if he were steelpushed. He could move his body through the walls? That was a surprise. As a result, the sky begins to crumble around he and Jowan -- and for a split second Kelsier instinctively protects his face from the flying glass shards, except the barriers are not made of glass, and do not so much shatter as they did melt away around them until they faded away.

Duke holds his hands up in surrender. Kelsier scoffs but smirks, putting a hand to his hip. "Never give up. Even if it involves you running away." He holds his remaining spoons up to his face, glancing at his reflection within them for a split second, and pushed them forward -- this time without an exaggerated wind-up. 

The spoons shoot forward only a few feet before they bounce back against something unseen. Kelsier feels another crack at his forehead, and his body gets pelted by spinning metal before he could react. He stumbles backwards and curses to himself -- loudly -- for falling for Duke's ruse.

Jowan 

f4r0Deq.gif

Duke’s distraction causes him to be hit by both the lightning and a spoon -- if this is him “paying attention”, he really needs to work on his situational awareness. Perhaps another shock would help teach him. 

Before Jowan can do anything, Duke leaps out of the dome completely. Jowan's eyes widen in surprise, Duke’s actions completely unexpected. Weren’t they fighting? 

The barriers begin to crumble around them, and with a lurch of his stomach Jowan realizes how much danger he and Kelsier would be in had this been a real fight. He’d seen Duke destroy a bridge with his barriers; the violent imagery of him doing a similar thing to the dome comes easily to his mind. 

More pressing is the matter of the spoons Kelsier scattered around the battlefield, but the only way he can think of to deal with them is to hit Kelsier first. Remembering how Arcane Blast had passed through Duke’s barriers earlier, he throws one towards Kelsier… 

...and the purple energy splashes harmlessly against the barrier. 

It’s unexpected, and Jowan doesn’t have much of a plan to deal with it. He takes a step back, the surprise evident on his face. Why didn’t it pass through now, when it had last time? Had he misseen what had happened? 

Hoping to buy himself some time, he hurriedly casts Disorient on Kelsier. A faint shimmer appears in the air around Kelsier’s head, but the spell otherwise lacks the flashy visuals of his previous ones. Too late, he realizes that he may have made a mistake. His mana is running dangerously low, being disoriented probably wouldn’t stop Kelsier from pelting him with spoons, and Duke’s still free to try something with his barriers. 

oh no

latest?cb=20170317034216

Sorey - 3rd Floor Library

[new people!] - [they see us?]

Before his eyes, the girl in red transformed. Her hair shortened and darkened, while her clothes turned into a more casual white dress with less ornament. Sorey raised his eyebrows, impressed. He couldn't help but draw similarities between that process and his armatus transformation, though given what he just heard from Arch, he didn't want to assume anything about any of these people on the scene.

"Thanks Arch! That makes a lot of sense," Sorey said, putting a thumb to his chin, thinking. Displaced, huh? He took the news -- that they were no longer in Glenwood -- surprisingly well: he had already begun to draw his own conclusions from the sheer amount of strange documents in this library. It was a little upsetting that he was gone but -- he had only shortly parted ways with Alisha and everything seemed to be holding up fine. He could afford to do a little exploring. It was exciting.

"My... friends?" Sorey turned around. His seraphim froze in place like a trio of owls at Arch's comment. In the tableau, Edna had a hand pressed into Mikleo's cheek while the younger seraph had his arms outstretched to try and reach another one of his books, which Edna held high and out of the way, and Lailah had her arms out in a vain attempt to stop them from bickering.

"Oh, yeah! Those are my friends," Sorey gestured towards the shelves. He looked back over his shoulder again to see them straightening up, with Mikleo taking the time to dust off his clothes and make himself more presentable. "You fight against the forces of darkness, right, Towa? Well, my friends are Seraphim, and they help me fight the forces of my world's malevolence by lending me their power. As opposed to you, we weren't exactly in battle when we got dragged here, but I'm still kind of worried about the forces of evil at home, too..."

latest?cb=20141130035308

[fight fight fight!] - [duke's labyrinth] - [kelsier hurt himself in confusion]

Kelsier vigorously shakes his head to clear it of the pain from getting flicked by a spoon again. Faking surrender...! That ruse was well played. And the barriers could be invisible, too? Not only were inquisitors blind to them, but everyone was. Duke's true power was revealing itself through the fight, bit by bit. Jowan flings a ball of energy, which the barrier happily absorbed, and any physical object Kelsier threw seemed to be deflected. But there was an inconsistency in the story -- were Duke's barriers up when Jowan cast his spells, or did he need a direct, unobstructed line?

Kelsier thought he saw a shimmer in the corner of his eye, and his question gets partly answered. Suddenly the world blacks out around him for half a second, as if he were struck hard on the head. Duke says something and he doesn't hear it too well. Ready to punch Duke directly regardless of what he said, Kelsier takes a step forward and visibly smashes against an invisible wall. A confused man in an invisible labyrinth -- it is not a good combination for anyone involved, save for the observers, who would find the entire thing hilarious. He presses his arms against the surface to feel for the wall and to keep himself from falling over but he just as quickly tips over and smacks into the opposite wall. The maze angers him. The clear barriers grow increasingly annoying and he can do little more than pound on them with frustrated fists while throwing himself in random directions.