Felinor

ANSWERED:Action log change to show who claimed the gift

10 hours ago, StormBirdRising said:

I don't want a thank you, I don't want a lame egg, when I gift in the forum I just want to know where it goes. I don't care it if it is gifted, frozen, or traded. I just want to know where it goes.

If you don't want to use a two-way (though I personally don't see what the problem is, since you can just abandon the dummy egg afterwards) then PM the gift to a specific person you want to receive it. That is another way that you can make sure it goes to exactly who you want it to.

Aleoleo has already posted a screenshot of the official message you get on a transfer when you create one. It specifically states that you are not entitled to get anything in return - and that includes a thank you or the knowledge of where your egg/hatchling has gone. Once you publicly post that link, you forfeit the right to that information. The way I see it, any feature like what has been suggested would contradict what is already written in the guidelines of the game.

Edited by StormWizard212

No support here. Your suggestion already excludes users with hidden scrolls, so why even show any names at all? What's to stop a user from hiding their scroll whenever they take something from the departure thread? Assuming this wasn't an announced feature, it probably wouldn't take long for a user to realize their scrolls are showing up in an action log and modify their play style accordingly.

There's a reason that the forums and the site aren't merged (like say Chicken Smoothie or Tales of Ostlea) and that's to afford users a bit of privacy--whether for good or ill intent. As much as you (and others who gift) may not like it, you don't have control over who takes a dragon from a transfer or what happens to it after it leaves your scroll. Believe me, I know from when one user took all of my departure thread gifts and offered them up for trade offsite. I ended up trading for them all back to put on trade links for dummies, but I never would have even known had I not been perusing the exact same site they were on. And that's fine. 

Also, if you suspect a user of multi-ing, it's best to PM your evidence to a mod or TJ. Just because a user takes a lot of gifts without replying doesn't necessarily mean that they are multiscrolling or doing anything else against the site's TOS.  Really, I'm sure some people thinksnipe because I have taken multiple dragons in a row from the departure thread (even while posting thanks). People are naturally going to get faster at taking dragons as they get more comfortable with the forum and especially if they have the online notifications set because they get a notification the instant that users post in threads. 

I also want to reiterate the possibility of inviting negative actions beyond the obvious viewbombing or blacklisting with this suggestion.  I do gift frequently in the departure thread and being generous has occasionally led to issues with other players. I have had users demand offspring from my dragons. Having the scroll name and forum name available pretty much opens the floodgates for a veritable roster of PM's. 

If you're worried about what happens to your gifts and you don't want to openly post transfers, do something different like glomp or hold a raffle or make a Google Form where people have to put in their scroll name and user name to get a gift or something. 

On 02/09/2017 at 7:56 AM, VixenDra said:

Against for one-way transfers - for reasons alrady stated.

Don't rise my temptation to bite on the players who take eggs from "by taking it you agree to never kill it in any way" posts just to kill them either instantly by Biting or later. Because my blood's boiling whenever this happens, no matter when I find out... ^^;

Wait - but you (generic) don't have the right to set conditions on a gift. You can ask - but once an egg leaves your scroll, it IS the other person's egg, to do with as they will. You can ask, but you can't insist, and you can't let yourself get mad because others don't play the way you do.

I would like this to be implemented. I find it a little sad when you cant see who your baby goes to after you gift it. I used to gift random eggs on the gifting tree where you are supposed to post who gifted you what (or who you gifted to) and I always wrote "please post if you take" but hardly anyone would so I hardly gift any more.  It would also be a good way to track who you traded with as I do to the best of my ability.

Whether or not this is implemented there will still be some degree of harassment, there are just some sucky people in the world. But as easy as it is to say 'just trade a dump egg' one could just as easily say if you don't want to chance being harassed for not giving back an egg on a one way trade then don't do one way trades.

Just use a two way teleport. It's so SIMPLE.

I would stop picking up random gifts if my name was going to show up all over action logs. I DO say thanks - but even so - that is just too intrusive.

A two way teleport means you get to see who takes your egg. That's the end of it. (And you can even not choose to accept an offer from someone you would prefer did not get it. And since the original suggestion seems to be all about making sure the wrong person doesn't get an egg - this wouldn't even help with that anyway - but using a two way instead would achieve what the OP is asking for.)

This suggestion leaves the recipient's name up there on someone else's action log for a month. Once the egg is gone - there is nothing more you can do with it; why on earth do you need to gaze on that name for a month ? I can FAINTLY see the point of tracking trades so that you can follow up on lineages - but for other teleports - there's no point. What can you do with that information ? Nothing. So why record it ?

Edited by fuzzbucket

ah okay I think I understand your point of view a little better now. The main reason why I would want this is for the giving tree. To try and explain a bit better if I know who I gifted to I could help them out if they are on one of the giving trees lists (mainly it would be an easier way of seeing if a player is active or not rather that PMing everyone on that list and find that hardly any of them are active). That being said I do think the current one way trade should be kept just renamed 'anonymous one way trade' and add another one way trade where it wouldn't be anonymous. It would also tell the person about to accept that the trader would know who they traded with. Does this seem like a more acceptable idea?

2 hours ago, jessabelleanna said:

That being said I do think the current one way trade should be kept just renamed 'anonymous one way trade' and add another one way trade where it wouldn't be anonymous. It would also tell the person about to accept that the trader would know who they traded with. Does this seem like a more acceptable idea?

This seems unnecessarily complicated and convoluted to me when the same can be achieved with a two way trade and dummy egg offer. Like it has been said, you publicly post transfers with the knowledge that you can't control who you give it to. In your specific situation mentioned, there are workable alternatives. If you don't want to use a two way transfer or PM people directly, make a post saying what you have and asking people to PM you if they're interested. Then send just one person the transfer link. 

I guess I just don't see it to be as complicated as you do, to me you add an option that lets you trade one way later letting you know who received it. You could set up the trade, post it and then leave and that's it. You wouldn't have to stay on to accept, and then dump the traded egg.

Yes as you said at the moment we only have the option to publicly post transfers with the knowledge that you can't control who you give it to. Or do a two way trade but with a third option you would be able to see who took your gift egg and they would be aware that you know.

I just really don't see the need for an *added* third option, which takes coding and time, when there are already two perfectly acceptable options that do exactly what people seem to be wanting. If you don't care who takes your egg, post a one-way transfer link. If you want to see who takes your egg, post a two-way and ask for a dummy. You don't need to keep the dummy, and if you are active on DC enough to be posting a lot of transfers then it's not like it's going to be a huge burden to get on for two seconds to accept the trade. I don't see a need for a new option just because a few people seem to want to know who their one-way, no-strings gift goes to, when there is a really simple way to do that already. If you really can't be bothered to do a two-way trade, which really doesn't take much more effort at all, well I don't think DC should add a third option just to cater to that.

3 hours ago, Marie19R said:

I just really don't see the need for an *added* third option, which takes coding and time, when there are already two perfectly acceptable options that do exactly what people seem to be wanting.

Exactly. This is what I meant when I said it's unnecessarily complicated, you just phrased it better. :P I'm pretty sure TJ has said before that he wants to limit the number of customisable options the site has and to me this is just an unnecessary addition to a system that already covers everyone's needs - yes, perhaps with a few extra links for some. I've seen a lot of valid downsides raised about this suggestion, but so far I haven't seen any real evidence that it is needed given the alternatives, other than people wanting a couple less steps. The cons definitely outweigh any potential pros, in my opinion. 

Edited by StormWizard212

9 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

This seems unnecessarily complicated and convoluted to me when the same can be achieved with a two way trade and dummy egg offer. Like it has been said, you publicly post transfers with the knowledge that you can't control who you give it to. In your specific situation mentioned, there are workable alternatives. If you don't want to use a two way transfer or PM people directly, make a post saying what you have and asking people to PM you if they're interested. Then send just one person the transfer link. 

Exactly. I do it all the time. OR - go to the glomp thread or the scroll completion thread and see who you can help DIRECTLY. (And actually - I quite often don't get thanked for those either - big deal - when someone else has my egg it isn't my egg any more and it is none of my business. Same goes for those ones I drop in my sig. I have only once EVER been thanked for those :) But they are gifts. If people are impolite that is their problem, no mine.

6 hours ago, Marie19R said:

I just really don't see the need for an *added* third option, which takes coding and time, when there are already two perfectly acceptable options that do exactly what people seem to be wanting. If you don't care who takes your egg, post a one-way transfer link. If you want to see who takes your egg, post a two-way and ask for a dummy. You don't need to keep the dummy, and if you are active on DC enough to be posting a lot of transfers then it's not like it's going to be a huge burden to get on for two seconds to accept the trade. I don't see a need for a new option just because a few people seem to want to know who their one-way, no-strings gift goes to, when there is a really simple way to do that already. If you really can't be bothered to do a two-way trade, which really doesn't take much more effort at all, well I don't think DC should add a third option just to cater to that.

Yes. If you are really too lazy to do a two-way - you are probably too lazy to deserve to know where your gifts go or what happens to them later. Which - as I repeat - is actually not really your business. Sure I was sad when whoever picked up the 3rd gen shimmer from my sig let it die for lack of views - but it's not my place to do or say anything about it. I don't suppose they were very pleased either. And no I did not put it in a hatchery - they didn't accept aid, and I stick to the rules. Which say quite clearly

transfer-52f84cc.png

That also means you also have no rights over what happens. So surely if you are that concerned, you do a two way just so that you can be sure that the person taking your CB gold isn't the person who zombified the CB silver you put up last week... Finding that information AFTERWARDS in your log is no use to you at all.

3 hours ago, StormWizard212 said:

Exactly. This is what I meant when I said it's unnecessarily complicated, you just phrased it better. :P I'm pretty sure TJ has said before that he wants to limit the number of customisable options the site has and to me this is just an unnecessary addition to a system that already covers everyone's needs - yes, perhaps with a few extra links for some. I've seen a lot of valid downsides raised about this suggestion, but so far I haven't seen any real evidence that it is needed given the alternatives, other than people wanting a couple less steps. The cons definitely outweigh any potential pros, in my opinion. 

I am certain sure TJ wouldn't do anything with an option attached just for this idea. And as someone already said - he is big on communications being wilful. Given how many of us would object strongly to having their names show up on someone else's action log, I think it's pretty clear that this would in no way be wilful for most users. If it weren't for one game I play here, I would be hiding my scroll at once.

Edited by fuzzbucket
typos

On 9/1/2017 at 10:34 AM, Felinor said:

to (hopefully) stop people sniping gifts

I'm confused by what you mean by "sniping." If you put the link out there, then anyone who takes it was authorized to take it; no "sniping" can occur. If the gift is meant for a certain person or set of people, can you not just give the link to only those people?

Outside of that, once an egg is no longer on your scroll, you have no control over it, so I don't really see valid reasons to add the name. This is in line with other parts of the site (e.g. when abandoning an egg you don't get to see who got it unless they share their scroll name).

I say, let's try not to bring the typical Flight Rising mentality into DC, it's just enough to drive reasonable players away from the community... :/ Once you post a free transfer link in public, you should be aware of the possibility that the egg/hatchie can go to anyone online at that time, it can get traded further, dropped back into the AP, killed, zombified, frozen, given a name you don't like because it doesn't meet your personal standards (prefixes, suffixes, generation number/type indicators, other patterns), grabbing ninjas won't thank you, etc... It has been already said, especially the older players should know this. Gifting via the forums/irc/Discord is no different than throwing the egg into the AP tbh, except that you sort of see who exactly is online.

I would personally not to overcomplicate things; PMs and faux-trades with dummy eggs work fine. And, unless the receiving scroll is hidden, you can still track the gift via its code.

11 hours ago, TJ09 said:

I'm confused by what you mean by "sniping." If you put the link out there, then anyone who takes it was authorized to take it; no "sniping" can occur. If the gift is meant for a certain person or set of people, can you not just give the link to only those people?

Outside of that, once an egg is no longer on your scroll, you have no control over it, so I don't really see valid reasons to add the name. This is in line with other parts of the site (e.g. when abandoning an egg you don't get to see who got it unless they share their scroll name).

Thank you for an official word on this!

32 minutes ago, Marie19R said:

Thank you for an official word on this!

What she said. Couldn't agree more. A one way is a one way and the giver has no rights of any kind.

Yea, no support. What TJ said.

If you want to put a one-way link out there, you have no control over where the egg goes. That's the nature of it. There's no 'sniping' and you can't set your own rules like 'don't trade' etc. It's a gift. The new owner could kill it if they wanted to and that's totally their decision. You're letting the egg go.

If you don't want your egg going out into the unknown, just don't do a one-way transfer.