Ruby Eyes

Unable to delete old conversations

Namely, how do I delete conversations that are *not* listed on the first "page" of my PM box? Because deleting messages from the first page does work.

I'm trying to clean up old stuff from my inbox, so I'm scrolling down to "Page 2" (where the forum has to load the next batch of messages), selecting the conversation I want to delete, then picking Options => Delete Conversation => Ok. The page reloads. (Sometimes I even clear my cache and reload my inbox again.)

Then I'm scrolling down again, and THAT VERY SAME MESSAGE is STILL there! I can select it, I can try to delete it again, and it returns like a zombie.

I've tried it a couple of times now with the same result, so I'm not just having cases of déjà vu.

I was able to delete some messages that were on page 2 before *after* I deleted enough messages on page 1 so that older messages could move up. But, you know, those that are now on page 1 are messages I want to keep for another while.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I just went to my inbox and attempted to do what you described and I had no issue deleting the messages. It's very strange that you are. You said you cleared your cache, but have you tried a different browser? Or a different device, like your phone? That might not solve the problem entirely, but it might be able to pinpoint whether it's an account issue or a browser/device issue. 

That being said, I do think that the message system has been struggling with a few glitches since the forum upgrade. Randomly, about half of my old messages remarked themselves as 'unread' for some reason. So I think there are a few hiccups with it.

Sorry I can't be more help than that! It's a very strange issue to be having. :(

Edited by StormWizard212

I have ONE browser I will use - I will not resort to IE. My phone is an old bone - it has no browser.

Did you actually try to delete a message on a page different than the first?

Yes, I went through and deleted a few messages on the 'Page 2' section after it loaded. It got rid of them completely for me. Even after a hard refresh, they didn't come back.

Even if there's only one browser you use, it might still be worthwhile logging in just to check if it's still an issue there to get some more information about whether this is a board/account fault or some weird browser glitch. It's frustrating, but it might still be helpful. 

I just deleted some more and this is what I see from my end:

• Initially when I go to options > delete conversation, it removes the conversation from the lefthand panel
  • It then refreshes the whole page and I scroll down it's still gone

When you delete your conversation, do you see it disappear from the list before the refresh? Because that's what happens with mine.

Edited by StormWizard212

Nope. No IE ever. If it didn't come with the system, it wouldn't even be here. Absolutely NOT worthwhile.

Using Firefox, latest version.

Apparently it makes a difference if you open messages in the same tab or in a new one. Opening (and deleting) in a new tab will NOT delete the message.

Try that?

I just tried opening the message in a new tab and deleting - and you're right! It doesn't delete. Perhaps because the old tab still registers that it's there.

But at any rate, you should be able to delete the messages if you're in the original tab. I hope that's working for you now! :)

Just now, StormWizard212 said:

Perhaps because the old tab still registers that it's there.

Unlikely. It's also still listed in the NEW tab which means the forum software did not delete that message at all. That's clearly a bug.

Yes, it's definitely a bug. I just meant that the site might be getting confused because even though you're trying to delete the message in one tab, it's still sitting there in the old one. Though trying to apply logic to a bug is probably stupid. :P Lucky there's an easy workaround though for now and hopefully TJ will be able to have a look into this to see if it can be fixed from a software point of view. 

I started having this problem after the update. I am also using the latest version of Firefox which updated just about the same time, so I am not sure which to blame.

Edit: Just went into Chrome, which I also have on this laptop (although I hate it!) and was able to delete a page 2 message there. But if I'm not mistaken, the checkbox that allows you to check off and delete multiple messages used to appear even on page 2 messages and now only page one messages have the checkbox. That is how I discovered the problem yesterday. I was used to just going down the list and deleting multiple messages with the checkbox. And I am sure that I had previously deleted enough messages in one go to be past page one!

Edited by purplehaze

I'm doing OK with Firefox. BUT - that may be because when the first BIG upgrade happened, all my messages from the dark ages showed up. I got cross, went in and created a new folder (or maybe it's a default - anyway, I have one called "saved"...) and put the new ones in there. Then I went for empty inbox, to get shot of all the resurrected ones. Now they seem to be manageable.

Do you have more than one page in your inbox?

I did have, when I was doing the delete thing. I did have even when I was moving the ones I wanted to keep (I think I had 7 pages then...) I don't at the moment, I think - how many to a page ? (I have 24 in there today...) I keep deleting now, as it is such a nightmare to use these days.

@fuzzbucket -- thank you for sharing this method! i haven't tried it yet but i'm going to now. the new messaging system has been such a wretched nightmare for me, but this might at least make things somewhat manageable...

I do think having a "save"  folder is a huge help :) At least I know the stuff I NEED is in there.