TJ09

2017-08-28 - August Dragon Release

I was hoping that we might get a couple of variations of the hybrids based on nebula wings, but I guess that's not the case. I wonder if it would be too much to hope for in the future. :P

Eh, the hybrids are a bit too busy for my liking-- toning down the fire would've gone a long way. I can't really see them as hybrids either, at least not Ridgewings. Maybe Hellfire, Hellhorse, or Falconformes... or just give them a different color scheme and make them CB. The hybrids status just feels like an after-thought. I guess the one sprite's wings are supposed to be blue as well, but they look very much green to me. -shrug-

The Khusas are neat. I am fond of vultures, so there might be some inherent bias there. Maybe. Although, I've noticed an increasing trend of lammergeiers being used in various art and themes, but not many other awesome vulture species. Why no love for lappet-faced, white headed, or hooded vultures? Kings and condors? When are my Egyptian vultures gonna get some respect??

Ok anyway, the dragon is fine. I'm not completely sold on blue shading for the yellow feathers, it's a little too "sunset-y" for my tastes, but it's different and adds some nice diversity to the cave's sprites. They're very griffon-ish, no doubt, but they have a funny character about them and I like it. I'm going to be collecting more of these guys.

Edited by Nine

10 minutes ago, StormWizard212 said:

I was hoping that we might get a couple of variations of the hybrids based on nebula wings, but I guess that's not the case. I wonder if it would be too much to hope for in the future. :P

If you look closely, you can see that the wings have indeed blue for the female and red for the male. Pie didn't want to create more than two colours do to the fact it'd be a pain to do, which is understandable. 

The color used for shading on the Khusas just looks... off to me. Their underbelly and under-tail looks like it belongs on an entirely separate piece, as do the wings. I don't really understand what's going on with the mouth, either...? I think the wings bug me more than anything, though. They just look pasted on, in a way. I'm hoping they'll grow on me, though. They don't look bad, of course, just... patched.

I love the Carinas, but I kind of wish they were just black with their ridge wings and without fire on their wings. I feel like the fire detracts from the inner wing, which is gorgeous, and is too eye-drawing when the focus should be those beautiful wings and bodies. 

However, since I love Ridgewings more than life itself, I'll probably end up with lots of these babs.

Overall a nice release, always happy to have more hybrids and especially happy Ridgewings are getting some love. 

I feel  disappointed sometimes too. Like when my fish gets burnt. Dem birb dragons my god I squeed

I didn't care for either at first glance, but they've both already grown on me quite a lot. Not sure what it is, but the Khusa dragons in particular look prettier and prettier every time I see them. 

The Carinas dragons are beautiful Playdoh and Piemaster, thank you for the new dragons. Carinas dragons are definitely my new favorite hybrid.

I LOVE how the Khusa is colored. Complementary shading is my favorite <3333. I love their texture too, they look really... feathery? However I do agree with @Nine about lammergeiers.

The Carinae are cool too, I'm pleasantly surprised that they do have resemblance to the Ridgewings. In wing structure and general decorativeness. Also really glad that the fire has an explanation - "shooting stars" are astrological like the Nebulae, and acrobatic like the Ridgewings. But what we can see of the pattern of the wing is very beautiful, so while I don't think they're overly busy I can agree that I've have liked to see more of the wing unobscured.

I love the carinae, but I agree with others that the wing fire covers too much of the pretty constellations for my liking. Imho the feet and tail flames were enough—but this is nothing that will stop me from coveting and collecting these pretty babies

The Carinas are gorgeous! Although they look more like they would be Falconiform X Nebula rather than Ridgewing x Nebula. X3

I can't decide which I like better - both are equally awesome.

Though my brain seems to be leaning towards the Khusa more than the Carina - as it immediately went "I wonder how Khusa would look paired with Black tips (they remind me of seagulls), Swallowtails (again, burds) and Plated Colossus dragons"

Ooohhhh adults! I'm really really loving the Khusa adult, I'm so glad it retained it's fluffy/feathery look from the hatchlings. I've seen time and time again how hard it can be to get eyes on a dragon that look both realistic, as well as big enough that you can really *see* them, and I'm really glad this sprite managed to do that. I love the coloring, and the bird-ness, and the wings.

The Carinas... Yeah, I definitely agree they look too busy. I mean, my favorite thing about the Nebulas are the colorful wing constellations, but the fire is so big/overbearing that it really takes away from that on these hybrids. I don't really care for the fire at all, and I really wish fire wasn't there on a Neb/Ridgewing hybrid... It just doesn't really make sense for that pairing. I agree with someone who said it looks much more like a Neb/Hellfire hybrid. Also, I know it was said that the green, red, blue and purple of the Nebs were all incorporated into the sprites, but I can't see any red whatsoever. I see green on one sprite and purple on the other, and then the overwhelming blue of the fire. No red at all. And I really see very, very little resemblance to Ridgewings, someone said the wing structure but I see only a tiny bit of that in the purple one.

I do love how those Khusas look so feathery! And wow, surprised to see so much negativity surrounding the Carinas - though different strokes for different folks, i guess. I think they're stunning (and judging by he comments so far, might be in the minority, but I definitely see the blue/green and red/purple wing shading, as well as the wing resemblance - the ridges are unmistakable on the male especially, but if you picture the male ridgewing sprite flying right way up instead of upside down, you can absolutely see the reflection in the female Carina's wings). I'll be breeding about eleven billion of these gorgeous little critters. 

Edited by alyelle
Autocorrect spelling fails :/

I really like the Carina Dragon, although I do think the flames are a bit too much. The flames, along with the pose kinda remind me of the hellfire, or the female hellhorse. I feel as though without the flames the wings would look more like the wings of a ridgewing dragon, better showing off the hybrid. The wing patterns would be enough to catch the eye without the flames. While I do like the Khusa dragons as an idea, I feel like the wing color and the body color don't go together that well, and the pose looks kinda odd. Maybe it's just me though.

I really really loved both! I'm amazed at how pretty the Carinae are, and the Khusa are just way too cute. Thanks for the release! 

I can't say how much I love these dragons!!!

I'm so going to hoard a whole bunch! eek!! thank you TJ & all the spriters~ <3

I'm in love with the Khusas. I'm really happy to finally get another atypical dragon. The Carina dragons are pretty, but I dislike the fire on the Carina dragons' wings, it isn't an important feature on either of their parents and detracts both from the ridgewing heritage with wing shape and colour/pattern contrast, and the constellations of the nebula wings. Aside from wing fire they're nice.

Just got my last Khusa! And thank you to whomever has been abandoning Carina dragons already, I managed to get three from the AP! I love their egg sprites. :blush:

I never understand all the picking apart of new dragons..

Anyways, the Khusas are just phenomenal - what a breath of fresh air! Truly a unique and amazing design. I love it! I also love the new hybrids. Thanks to all who helped make these dragons.

some random facts about khusa :'D

--khusa are almost entirely feathered; only the feet, muzzle, and majority of the underparts are unfeathered.

--khusa are fairly large. an adult human standing six feet tall would come up to an adult khusa's elbow.

--khusa do not have a beak. their canine teeth are large and pronounced, however.

--khusa can fluff their feathers to make themselves appear larger.

--they molt twice a year.

--they're not overly fussy, but they do like their feathers to be reasonably clean.

--khusa are stubborn. they like to do things their way, even if their way takes longer or is more difficult.

--adults are not particularly curious. once they've settled in a place, they're not moving unless seriously threatened. young khusa wander for several years before settling.

--they make nests on ledges or in caves/caverns. nests are made of rocks cushioned with molted feathers. a new nest is built for each clutch.

--khusa search out prey from above and then attack it from above. 

--khusa don't like water except for drinking. they scramble to hide when it rains.

--hatchlings are active and playful with one another. except for their closest neighbors, khusa adults are merely tolerant of one another.

--an adult khusa is easier to befriend than a hatchling. mature adults tend to be calm and can be reasoned with (or placated with gifts of meat). hatchlings are much smaller and more vulnerable, and are more likely to mistake something as a threat and attack it.

Now I have 8 CB Khusas and one of each available combination of Carinas. Now I only need to breed mates for them and I'll have a (small) army.

I like the designs of these dragons, especially Khusas. I like variety, so I think this release is good for that. And even though some people have suggested that maybe the Carinas would look better with Falconiforms and not Ridgewings, I like the challenge Ridgewings produce. Also I think Purple Ridgewings need something to "boost their value". Now if only someone would create a hybrid for Purple Dorsals...

When it comes to sprites, I think Carinas could use a small update to make them look less hazy. The design could be just a teensy bit more defined, but I like the concept however.

All in all this has been a nice release for me, easy to get, pretty dragons. Can't wait to start creating lineages with these. Thanks to everyone who helped to create these! It's not easy!