TJ09

2017-08-28 - August Dragon Release

32 minutes ago, andromedae said:

Curious - why the name Carina? In spanish, it's a common name XD I'd like to know the meaning behind it

The Carina Nebula is one of the most famous stellar nebulae. It is named after the constellation it appeares to be in - Carina.  Its name is Latin for the keel of a ship, and it was formerly part of the larger constellation of Argo Navis (the ship Argo) until that constellation was divided into three pieces, the other two being Puppis(the poop deck), and Vela(the sails of the ship).

(I only knew about the nebula, not about the constellation, so thank you, Wiki. ;) The name for people has another meaning, though, it hails from "cara" = "dear, beloved".)

Edited by Lantean_Pegasus

I don't know which ones I like more. The Khusa looks like it was ripped out of a children's book with that goofy face and those goat-like horns, and the Carinas are just gorgeous with those wings and that body. Good job guys! :D

I love the Khusas. Hoping they pair well with some of my other favorite dragons. Thank you Infinis, Playdoh and PieMaster for this release.

4 minutes ago, Lantean_Pegasus said:

The Carina Nebula is one of the most famous stellar nebulae. It is named after the constellation it appeares to be in - Carina.  Its name is Latin for the keel of a ship, and it was formerly part of the larger constellation of Argo Navis (the ship Argo) until that constellation was divided into three pieces, the other two being Puppis(the poop deck), and Vela(the sails of the ship).

(I only knew about the nebula, not about the constellation, so thank you, Wiki. ;) The name for people has another meaning, though, it hails from "cara" = "dear, beloved".)

Thank you! Very insightful. You learn something new every day!

Hey, guys! Hope you like the Carinae. Or Carinas. Whatever you wanna call the plural. I don't have a strong preference, though I lean toward the former.

Some questions I've seen pop up:

• Wasn't their name different in DR/Why are they called "Carina Dragons?"
    • Good memory! In DR, they were called Blueflame Galaxy Dragons. Which is a mouthful, and also really obvious. Thus, they got renamed "Carina Dragons," since Carina is a beautiful nebula that happens to contain many of the colors used in the sprites' wings.
  • Why aren't there alts?
    • It didn't feel necessary, given that the only differences are color. Plus, the parental combinations are already enough variety for a hybrid. As such, we ended up having the wing patterns represent two of the Nebula colorations each--purple and red for the male, and green and blue for the female.
  • Where does the fire come from?
    On 8/28/2017 at 9:56 PM, PieMaster said:

it comes from for because FIRE

• guys, i've answered this already, pls2read thread
    • Actual answer: These were a public dragon request, as many of you recall. The original concept art had four legs, Ridgewing-like wings, Nebula-like patterns, and the fire, so it was suggested to make them Ridgewing x Nebula hybrids so as to not be a rehash of the Nebula while still maintaining the original appearance. Yes, the fire ended up being a 'random feature,' but anatomically, the dragon blends both parent breeds. If it had been a Falconiform hybrid, for example, the dragon would have to be a wyvern and would have very different wing anatomy.
    • My personal belief is that there's some gene on each of the parents that, when present in combination with the other parent breed's gene, produces a strong affinity for fire, but present alone does not create a fire affinity at all.
      • But then again, talking genetics when you're breeding two dragons with wildly different anatomy, including limb count, is mostly nonsense anyway, so I'ma just say that the magic be like the magic do, and something about the parental combination produces the fire affinity that allows them to conjure flames.

If any more questions pop up, I'll do my best to answer them!

Edited by PieMaster

5 minutes ago, PieMaster said:

the magic be like the magic do

Lovely! :lol: I like that reasoning!

Aww man, bummed that we were so close to having CBs of them, even if I get the hybrid reasoning of not wanting to make something that feels like Nebula 2.0 XD 

There are so many gorgeous hybrids around but due to the limitations of their nature it's really hard to find people making anything with them beyond PBs. Pretty sad. :( Maybe I'll fight the trend and go for a faux Falconiform checker with them!

Hybrids... Now... they are really detailed. Lots of things is happening there and it can be a good thing, but to me they are a bit too much? I have to check how will they look like next to rest species, perhaps it will work. Not a big fan of hybrids (beautiful piece of art, but not really a fitting art for DC) but the birdie dragons are v interesting. Is this a bone on their snouts? Dear DC, I am still waiting for seasonal-balloons hybrids :3

I love the colours on Carinas, and I hope to make a lineage with them :)

Khusa suprised me... they have an original design and look a bit like Holiday dragons... very nice.

I LOVE Khusas!! The only thing that I'd like to say is that I feel like the beard is aligned a bit off? Like more outwards. Would also like more info on them! :wub: 

I'm really loving the Khusas! I was a bit *headtilt* at first, but they are handsome fellas! The Carinae are also nice, but.... a bit busy on the body. 

Either way, both beautiful sprites, and congrats on the release!

Cheers!
C4. 

I love the Khusas! I'm glad they're just pixels. I wouldn't want to meet them face to face! They look like they could rip you to shreds in seconds! :o

Weren't Blueflame Galaxy female wings more blue than the Carinae ended up with? Or it was my alternate screen that made them appear definitely more blue than green they look now on my main?

I'd like to know what a khusa is/means though... except for some shoe brand google shows me...^^;

Edited by VixenDra

I'm in love with them both :wub:

By the way, Carina also means "nice, cute" referring to a female person in italian! I think it is such a fitting name for these hybrids, referring both to the astronomic and actual meaning :D great work as always 

Just now, VixenDra said:

Weren't Blueflame Galaxy female wings more blue than Carina's ended up with? Or it was my screen that made them appear definitely more blue than green they look now?

The only changes to the female's wings were the addition of the side flames, changes to the propatagium, and the darkening of one of the blue highlights, as it was a shade from the body, and the body palette as a whole was darkened.

New dragons! :wub:

So one breed can be found in the cave/biomes and the other is a hybrid?

Wow! Those are very cool. I'm excited for mine to finish growing now. :D the khusa's are definitely my fave though. 

4 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

I'd like to know what a khusa is/means though... except for some shoe brand google shows me...^^;

Infinis already answered this on the last page but they're based on lammergeiers

5 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

[snip]

One page before:

1 hour ago, Infinis said:

The name khusa doesn't come from anywhere, it's just a word. They're based on lammergeiers.

9 minutes ago, Tigerkralle said:

New dragons! :wub:

So one breed can be found in the cave/biomes and the other is a hybrid?

Pale ones are from Alpine and Desert. Hybrids are from Ridgewing x Nebula!

Thank you! I wonder if there is a difference by using Tan or Purple Ridgwing and the Nebulae... :wacko:

1 minute ago, Tigerkralle said:

Thank you! I wonder if there is a difference by using Tan or Purple Ridgwing and the Nebulae... :wacko:

theres no difference! The only difference is male and female sprites!

1 hour ago, Carmelita Fox said:

Love the Khusa's derpy face. They look like a very happy dog :lol:

They look derpy because bearded vultures/lammergeiers ARE derpy!

bearded-vulture-bird.jpg