nomadicdesert

FairyTail RP, open and actively looking for people to join (Please join, we swear not to bite much)

The ink on Jacques' crawled and intermingled, forming new patterns in response to being watched. His smile toned down from psychotic to friendly as he turned to face his queer audience.

"Something to say?" He queried, his voice low, warm, and inviting.

"If it's about the Tattoos, I was born with them. Yes, yes, strange I know. But your appearance suggests you are no stranger to prying eyes either." He stated, an inquiring lilt in his voice.

He was truly curious as to the nature of this young woman. The genetic deformities she bore were not common, and therefore gave her quite the extraordinary appearance. It could, of course, be the result of some kind of magic. 

The onyx black ink slithered through his skin, reforming into new patterns as if putting on a show for the viewer. 

Jacques had no control over this since he was a child. The ink would move of it's own accord in reply to his emotions, the stronger they were the more violently the ink reacted. This is how he first discovered Inkblood Psycho. He had experienced a rage so intense that the ink retreated into his muscles and bolstered his strength while clouding his mind.

Right now, all he felt was an interest in the looks of the young lady before him.

Be still, my beating heart, He thought.

Edited by Peelzies

Miyuki covered her royal purple eye with her hand when he mentioned her appearance. "My eye is strange yes.  But your marks are not. I find them lovely." She took her hand away and looked at the water as if looking at her own reflection. Her own voice was soft and warmer than her usual tone, probably because of the recent fun she had. She sank to her neck in the water. "I wish I had the courage to show it. But unfortunately children are cruel to those who are different... and adults are weary of the unknown. Too many times I've been called a ice demon and got chased from town when I was trying to support my brother and I. Too many stones thrown at me. " 

She was silent still watching the show the ink was doing on the man's body. She smiled slightly. "Hearts keep showing up. That's really cute." She sank to her nose to hide her grin. 

(I'm fairly intoxicated while writing this, so if something doesnt make sense feel free to let me know.)

Jacques usually pale white face flushed a painfully obvious crimson. The ink was his power, but also his weakness. He sank slowly into the water up to his neck in an attempt to hide his traitorous ink, but the tattoo under his eye wiggled and squirmed.

"What's your name?" Jacques asked apprehensively.

However, realizing how impolite he must sound, he instead offered his own identity. "I'm Jacques, by the way. Strange... isn't the terminology I would have used. Unique, maybe. I've never really been around children... but cruel as people are, I wouldn't doubt the inherent ignorance. You don't look like a demon to me."

((FLASHBACK))

"So your employer chose a demon to commit a sin? What a fitting decision." Shamal muttered, sword in hand, body trembling. 

"Such a poet. You call me the demon, yet you deceive children. A shame that articulate mouth will soon lack teeth and the breath to make a sound." Jacques stated with a devilish smile creeping across his face. Inkblood exploded out of him in a frenzy, striking the false prince from all different angles.

((PRESENT))

Jacques sighed.

"Many have said the same about me. I have endured similar persecution." Jacques stated.

"You are a wizard, then? Do you belong to a guild?" He inquired.

((hey Aroara. yep I was thinking of joining but then got busy with real life and forgot :)))

Tricia was returning from a job she had gone on earlier when she heard the voices of her guild mates close by at the beach. She headed over there to see what everyone was up to and heard the scolding that Miyuki was giving Barty, Andromeda, and Ankoku and winced inwardly when we heard what all she was saying. She then watched as they started to build sandcastles and have a contest of sorts between them before walking a bit closer to where they were to watch. She also saw Miyuki and saw someone she didn’t know talking but wasn’t close enough to them to hear what was being said. She didn’t want to pry or eavesdrop so she didn’t venture over to them to find out.

”Hey guys,” she said a bit shyly to the others gathered there before sitting down in the shade of a tree so as not to get burned. She hadn’t thought to put in sunscreen or some other sunblocking gel so she wanted to be careful just in case.

((I’ll edit if it’s needed like if I got something wrong of where they are and what they’re currently doing))

Edited by SkySong278

"I am Miyuki of the sphinx's paw guild. Yes, an ice wizard. That'll be the first I've heard of it. Unfortunately it's true. I'm sure you heard of ice queen. Word spreads fast in the wizard guilds. Please don't hide your tattoos, I like them. " She said with her cheeks turning pink. "I would like to incorporate them into my clothing designs if you would let me." She offered a small smile. 

((Jacques isn't part of the guild and it's AnKoku not angoku. Ankoku means dark. I'm only doing this because if Tricia speaks his name differently Miyuki would freak. She named her brother so it's pretty important to her.  XD ))

Ankoku grinned at Tricia. "What is this? A guild convention? I thought I spotted Nathaniel here, then we ran into those three and now you! This seems to be the vacation spot huh?" 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

((I edited it before I saw your edited post :P. I edited the part about Jacques’ name out and put “someone she didn’t know” instead))

“I was on my way back to the guild from a job I did when I heard you guys talking is all. I’ll head back soon but just thought I’d see what you guys were up to before then,” Tris said in reply to what all Ankoku said and asked while ignoring his grin by looking at out at the water. If she had noticed his grin, she would have blushed a bit.

Edited by SkySong278

Barty scoffed as Andy admitted defeat, annoyed he clapped his hands together and recreated the entire town of Taraq with his maker magic.

"There was that so hard. It was your mistake anyway, never agreed to a bet," Barty smugly retorted.

His eyes narrowed as he watched Miyuki walk into the water and begin conversing with an all too familiar figure, even in daytime the strange tatoos made it all too obvious this was the same man who'd hitched a ride with them on their way back from their job.

His jaw dropped in surprise as another guild member appeared.

Barty shrugged and responded to Ankoku and Tricia, "Well it's not that big a surprise, we're too far from Akane so this is really the only beach our guild can go to that isn't horrifically out of the way".

Barty stood up and walked over to the tree, he was curious as to what Midori was doing.

He was pleased to see her still sleeping.

"Hey andy do you think we should expose her legs again and write stuff on them in sunscreen? If she burns it'll leave the message there for ages!" Barty said, cheekily.

Midori had the pale skin one would expect from someone from a snowy climate, it wasn't really an assumption that she would burn if they re-exposed her legs to the sun.

"Or do you think that's too cruel?" Barty asked, waving his hand around nonchalantly.

He then leaned in and whispered to Andy, "That guy with the tatoos... i'm pretty sure he tried to attack us last night, while you were out, Midori and I ended up working with him to take out a pack of the Manticores again... he set me on edge all night. I think Midori felt pretty similarly about him... what do you think?" Barty asked, she was the leader of their party, even if their mission was over, he wanted to know her opinion on what to do concerning the mysterious individual.

"Whoa whoa whoa. Hang on Barty, you were the one who called the bet in the first place and said no magic. Are you that prideful that you turn back on your own bet? You don't deserve S class if you do that. Isn't a powerful wizard should not be afraid to admit defeat or something?" He returned the snarky reply to Barty suddenly using magic. "You pay for our trip back and you better own up to it." 

After hearing Barty joke about midori getting sunburnt he huffed and pulled out the umbrella he and his sister used, bringing it over and stabbing it into the sand. This provided extra shade that the tree couldn't. Although like his sister and Midori, he grew up in a snowy climate, he was far from pale. The sun off the snow made him tan over the years, till it was a rich Carmel color that only darkens when exposed to more sun then get burnt like his sister does. 

He dug through his sister's bag and handed Tricia a tube of sunscreen. "It's spf 70. Could you put some on Midori too please? I would but I'm a guy and probably won't be the best idea if she wakes. " 

Andromeda made a couple of awed sounds when Barty created Taraq out of sand and spent awhile peering down at it from above. She loved these kinds of things even if they were done with magic.

She stayed busy looking down at the enormous sculpture for awhile, but stopped when she heard Tricia's voice nearby. 

In an instant Andromeda's head was on the swivel and then she was running over to Tricia with a big smile on her face. "Tricia?! Wow I can't believe it! It's just like a party now!" Andromeda said happily as she sat down besides Tricia. "If we got some music, some food and some of those torches going we could get something really big going." She joked before turning to listen to what Barty had to say. She hadn't considered the fact that this was the closest beach to the guild, but now that Barty mentioned it she realized it was true.

"It is odd that we ran into this many people on this beach on this day, but sometimes the stars just align I guess." Andromeda said, parroting her masters favorite phrase. 

Andromeda was about to continue questioning Tricia when Barty pointed out Jacques, which made her instantly focus on the strange man, her green eyes watching his every move carefully. She could tell why Barty and Midori were cautious about him, he had a strange appearance and the constantly moving tattoos made Andromeda's eyes water trying to keep up with them. It was like his entire outline was constantly changing and it made Andromeda itch to look at.

"Why do you think he attacked you last night?" Andromeda asked quietly, her tone serious like it had been during the mission. "And if he attacked you why did you give him a ride?"

(The stars align :P by the way Midori's top half was in shade, her lower half wasn't but Barty put a towel over her legs so there's no way her legs would get burnt.)

Barty glanced at Andy then back at Jacques in the water.

"You wouldn't remember, but after we left the temple we... or more specifically you were attacked by a spider. At first I just thought it was a surviving one of the brood we destroyed... but the strange part was, it left no trace after I killed it, whats more the tracks seemed to have come from away from the temple," Barty explained.

"Later on the way back, we spotted hi, in the middle of a desert, at night, already suspicious. The manticores attacked and we fought them off. His magic seemed very similar to that spider that attacked you, though it might've been the trick of the light because it was dark out," Barty continued, still barely speaking above a whisper.

"Truthfully, I didn't want to give him a ride back, but Midori convinced me. He hadn't done anything directly hostile to us, but he just had an air of... unease about him. I kept my magic up the entire night because i didn't want to give him any kind of opening," Barty said.

He wasn't so sure about his opinions himself, the man had definitely had an air of suspicion about him, but he indeed hadn't done anything directly hostile to them. But the nature of that mysterious spider that attacked them and the outlandish coincidence of finding a powerful magic user in the middle of nowhere had left Barty too concerned.

"Just... don't be too trusting of him, we're in broad daylight, in a public space, surrounded by other guild members so I doubt he'd do anything but just... be cautious," he concluded.

Turning away from Andy Barty regained his smirk and spoke directly to Ankoku, "You should know me well enough that I never give away money if I don't have to. And the truth of the matter is neither you nor your sister agreed to my bet. And by my standards that means it wasn't binding. An S class wizard should pay attention to all the details presented, and know where to bend the rules and utilise any and all loopholes," Barty informed Ankoku confidently.

Jacques performed a slightly sarcastic bow with a smile.

"I was unaware I was in the presence of a queen..please forgive me" He feigned a servile tone of voice, his head lowered.

He looked back up at the young lady.

"A pleasure to meet you, Miyuki of Sphinx's Paw. Jacques, Manticore Hunter, at your service!" He said with a chuckle.

He decided it would be best to stick to his original alias whilst continuing to deal with these guild wizards. It was probably in his best interest to leave now, mission accomplished and no suspicions aroused. He stayed, however, heart winning over mind, to talk to this woman.

This didn't happen often. It was a rare occasion for Jacques to speak any more than necessary for the context, much less hold a conversation with any hint of interest. But then again, it was not every day that somebody was interested in holding one with him. 

"If you can catch one you like, I see no reason why you couldn't. Maybe you should put on some sunscreen first, your face is starting to look a touch red." Jacques' mouth closed and landed in a comfortable smile.

Over the young woman's shoulder, the earth wizard whispered to a young woman he did not recognize. With a glance back towards him, a voice in the back of Jacques' head suggested he leave.

Edited by Peelzies

"She accepted your terms after scolding your arrogance. You really think you deserve S class? With that cocky grin and Mr. Know-it-all attitude? You have sand for brains if you think you can outclass my sister in a fight or intelligence competition. Consider yourself lucky you're on her side. Show her some respect. Do you have any idea what she sacrificed for us to get us this far? You're not the only jewel pincher searching for a good bargain and she has two mouths to feed, plus any sick kid she decides to take off the streets for a bit. Stop being such a jerk and own up to your loss like a man." Ankoku shouted on the verge of tears. He knew that Barty wouldn't believe his sister was that strong. Master would. He at least treats Miyuki with the respect she deserves. Exploiting loopholes was just a cheep trick. A low blow he knew that would harm his sister's already icy ego, no matter how humble she appears. 

Miyuki smiles warmly at him. A true friendly smile that was a rarity for her. "I believe I have seen a few I love, and its not a sunburn." The smile vanished as soon as it came. She looked over her shoulder seeing the concerned looks and wide stance Barty took. "Go. You should go. I don't know how you met them, but they are clearly weary of you. We already caused enough damage here. I don't want to have a fight involving innocence present..." at this point her brother started yelling. Her expression turned loving and sad. "That's my que to leave too. Goodbye Jacques, hopefully we'll meet again under a less hostile gaze from my guild mates. It was a good chat with a fellow well.. " She winked her purple eye. "Odd ball. Not too many of us around. Gotta watch each other's backs. Good day." She said and turned wading out of the water. 

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

“Thanks Koku,” Tris said when Ankoku handed her the sunscreen for her to put on so that she wouldn’t get burned. After she had put it on all of the exposed parts of her skin, she set it aside before hearing what he said about Midori and putting some on her. “I would but I think since her legs are covered by a blanket she’ll be fine,” she said before Andromeda came over and sat down beside her after saying all that she did before she heard her joking about music and torches. “Hey Andy and yes I suppose it is. We can always come back later and actually have a party or maybe on another day we have off,” she said in reply before looking towards the stranger she saw talking to Miyuki that they were talking about.

“Sorry that I missed all the excitement with that guy. I was out on a couple of missions to make sure I had enough jewel for rent at my apartment for the next month or so,” she said as she kept her attention on him even when she saw Miyuki come back towards them out of the corner of her vision but then had her attention go immediately back to Ankoku when he heard him yelling at Barty. She looked a bit concerned and hoped that there wouldn’t be a fight soon between the two.

Edited by SkySong278

(Sorry about disappearing, I haven't been feeling well the last couple of days. I'm better though, so lets keep going)

Andromeda wasn't entirely sure how everything spiraled out of control, but seemingly from nowhere Ankoku was upset about Barty refusing to pay off the bet and seemed close to tears as he yelled about Barty being unworthy of being an 'S' class wizard. Things were quickly getting out of hand and it was obvious that if Ankoku got any angrier that he would start a fight for real, and compared to their play fighting in the waves something like that would demolish everything around them.

"Barty it's not that big a deal, we already have the free tickets from the job anyway. We're still paying less then we would have to begin with." Andromeda said, trying to play peacekeeper. "Come on lets not fight, it's the beach! We're here to relax remember?" She asked cheerfully as she moved between Ankoku and Barty. "Anyway lets go do something fun again, like volleyball or maybe we could find some food. What do you think Tris, want in?"

Trish looked over at Andy when she heard everything that she said to Barty and Ankoku and felt a bit better with someone trying to diffuse the tension that was developing between two guild mates. When she heard the options of having fun again and the question that followed she said in reply after finishing cleaning her gun, “Both volleyball and getting something to eat sounds good.”

((it’s okay nomad :) and glad you’re starting to feel better ^_^))

((Was a bit concerned but good to hear you're feeling better))

Barty stood, mouth agape shocked at Ankoku's sudden outburst.

He was suddenly starting to understand why Miyuki coddled him so much.

He was left in a slight daze after the emotional outburst ended, broken only when Andy began to speak.

Barty crossed his arms and planted his feat glancing from Andy back to Ankoku.

"No thanks," He said stenly to Andy. And pivoted walking over and retrieving his bag that was lying next to Midori.

"I get the feeling i'm not wanted here. And I'll pay for their ticket when I get an apology, that was just uncalled for," Barty snapped, walking off to the changing rooms.

He emerged, changed out of his swim-gear and back in the clothes he'd been wearing earlier.

"I'm heading back to town, got something I wanna check, I'll meet you at the station at sunset," He called out to Andy.

"Nice to see you again Trish," Barty added with a wave, before beginining the march back towards Taraq, hoisting an umbrella over his shoulder to help block out the sun.

((Was wondering what was wrong. Glad you're feeling better today! :) ))

Ankoku bore his teeth trying to stop the tears, shaking with anger. "I'm not hungry." He huffed. Those words were hardly ever uttered by the dragon slayer who always seemed to eat anything in the vicinity that's edible. "And I'm not apologising either. Miyuki deserves S class, not him!" He snarled. 

Miyuki had approached them. She looked at Andy and Trish, collecting her bag. "Tell Barty I'm sorry for my brother's outburst. We'll ride home on my elk. No need to pay for anything. Kuku, let's go...." she said softly to her brother trying to push him away. He refused to move turning to his sister. "How can you do it? How can you let guild mates and others walk all over you?  You're beautiful, powerful and bright! You should be seen like sol is or Nathaniel, someone who should be respected, both by their ability and experience! They should listen to you! You're wise for someone so young, your instincts are almost always correct. If he'd just listen to you, he wouldn't have disappeared! You told him you had a bad feeling, you begged him to stay, but he still left!"

It seemed his conversation shifted from Barty's slight disrespect to something else entirely. His fingernails dug into his palms, jaw clenched tight as he ground his teeth in anger and frustration. Miyuki simply sighed. "I was hoping that coming here would distract you from what happened six years ago, today. The past is past. I chose this life, I am happy being in the shadows brother. Best to remain hidden and safe then open and vulnerable. I'll see you girls at the guild. Please return my sunscreen then. Now Moony, let's go... we'll stop by that shop you saw that earring in. Your birthday is coming up soon-" her conversation continued as she walked away leading her brother from the beach to the changing rooms, however her soft voice was hard to hear that far. 

Once changed Ankoku was in his typical clothes and walked into the city without looking back. Miyuki was in a beautiful deep blue blouse and black pants with sandals, the blouse having designs of the constellations on it. She looked back, looking for Jacques, seeing if he had already left, and if he hadn't, she wanted to wave to her newfound friend before turning around and following her brother into the city. 

Trish sighed again when she heard what both Barty and Ankoku said before they left and Miyuki did as well. “It was nice seeing you again too Barty,” she told him with a smile before he had gone completely before turning her attention to the water. She had nodded when told that she’d see both her and Andy back at the guild as well as what she had said about returning her sunscreen to her then and now turned to look at Andy again. “I guess it’s just me, you, and Midori now. What say we get a bite to eat?” she said and asked her as she had her attention go over to her briefly.

Edited by SkySong278

(Ok so since we have so many players now I guess that I should point out that there isn’t an overarching plot for this roleplay right now. That being the case we should probably decide whether there’s going to be a main plot, and if so what it is. With that in mind please feel free to weigh in on the debate. If you want a plot then say so, and if you have an idea then just put it out there or message it to me so we can get the whole thing hammered out. If you don’t want a large story arc then say so that too and we can just keep messing around doing little side missions. I’m bringing this up now because people are scattering so we need to figure things out before we’re all spread out. If you have a secret idea then just message it to me. Ok let’s get this party started.)

(I don't have anything immediate, I was gonna have barty go back to shamals and find that he'd been killed, and become Javert)

((I don’t have anything planned right now for Trish so I’m fine with little side stories/missions or what everyone else is doing/going to be doing))

(Sounds good everyone, Aroara feel free to go ahead whenever, Marcus sounds like fun, and everyone else just keep what I said in mind. We don't have to have something that happens RIGHT NOW, but if anyone has any ideas then just throw them at the group or at me. Also sorry about missing your prompt to have Andy remind Barty about the bet Marcus, like I said I wasn't feeling great so everything sort of suffered for it.)

Edited by nomadicdesert

Miyuki waited until her and her brother were out of town before creating a ice elk and getting on the back of it. Ankoku sat behind her as they started the long  ride back to the guild hall.

(Glad you're ok Nomad, I've also been fairly ill all week. The flu is taking plenty of lives this year.)

Jacques warm smile faded momentarily as he witnessed Miyuki wade through the water, her hips swaying as the ocean parted for her. Quickly however, his smile returned and he glanced off into the horizon. One might think that such a dangerous individual wouldn't be able to appreciate beauty when he saw it. Despite this, Jacques had a strong affinity for the natural beauty of the world, and would happily take hours out of his day to appreciate it. A sort of cleansing of sin. His concentration broke as from the corner of his eye Miyuki waved to him. Jacques smiled, tilted his head, and returned the gesture happily, returning his gaze to the horizon for a time.

He slowly withdrew from the endless expanse and stepped onto the warm sand. Water dripped off of his shorts as he quietly dried himself and changed into his long pants under a towel. His olive bomber jacket went on over a white undershirt, and he set off with his meager possessions in tow. Having no new jobs to undertake, he decided to let his heart wander to a place he had heard much about in the past few days: The Sphinx Paw guild hall.

Jacques was not worried about contacts being unable to find him for jobs; if there was a need for the best, they would find him. Those he contracted for did that well, at least. He passed lazily through the evening crowd, towards the train station. A vendor, no doubt attempting to push his petty wares, grabbed Jacques shoulder and began speaking loudly, spewing his sales pitch. The man's hand suddenly recoiled, the ink having exploded a pain reminiscent of pins and needles piercing the skin into it. Gasping and mumbling under his breath, the merchant retreated to his stall.

Jacques continued to the train station, purchasing his ticket and sitting down quietly, alone, at a booth.

He then ordered a sandwich.