nomadicdesert

FairyTail RP, open and actively looking for people to join (Please join, we swear not to bite much)

(Yeah I guess we can just NPC her. And it's fine to make small posts, just do your best is all I ask.)

"Well of course we're going to be here for a little bit after the jobs done. I still have to go to the beach and work on my tan." Andromeda said happily as she headed off towards the west side of the city. 
Like Barty she kept her hand on her satchel, but wasn't actually all that worried about anything happening to it. She had always prefered to think of people as nice so didn't even consider the possibility of being pickpocketed. Instead she kept her hand ready to reach for her money if she saw something she liked.

The walk through the bazaar took a long time due to the huge number of people present, but eventually the group fought their way free and headed off towards the Perona estate.

The estate itself was a walled off area which consisted of a mansion surrounded by a large freshwater oasis as well as large areas of lush grass and palm trees. Beautiful flowers filled the area as well and exotic birds chirped in the trees. The water wasn't merely a decorative feature either as it also functioned as both a steady supply of water and as a cooling mechanism for the estate.

The gates that led into the property were large wrought iron affairs, and beside them was a small intercom system which Andromeda pushed.
"Hello? We're from Sphinx's Paw." She said after a few moments of silence. "We're here to get details about the job you wanted done." 

"A servant will be down to retrieve you in a moment." A curt voice said over the intercom after a few seconds. "Wait until they arrive."

After that there was nothing to do but wait it out, which didn't actually take that long. After about 30 seconds a maid came down from the house and came down to the gate which opened for her automatically. 

"If you'll follow me I'll lead you to Master Perona." The maid said politely before turning and leading the group down the path and into the mansion. The inside was enormous of course and after a little walking they were all shown into an opulent room.

"If you take a seat the Master will be with you soon. Please feel free to eat and drink the refreshments as you see fit." The maid said with a polite bow, gesturing to a nearby table with iced drinks and appetizers on them, all of which looked and smelled delicious. "If you'll excuse me." 

With that the maid left, closing the doors behind her and leaving the group on their own. 

"This place is really nice." Andromeda said as she wandered over to the table and took a sip of lemonade then a bite of cheese. "And this is delicious! I wonder if we can get any of this cheese in the market it's amazing!" She said, taking another big bite and chewing happily. 

(Barty wasn't keeping his hand on his bag in a protective manner, he was just walking like this his bag looks like that too though a bit bigger, though he also has a backpack with the food supplies)

Barty's jaw dropped as they approached the mansion, it looked absolutely stunning, while it's size didn't meet his childhood home the design took his breath away. The lushness of the gardens and moat-like oasis in such a harsh landscape only seemed to increase it's appeal.

He stood by, admiring the architecture and letting Andy take the lead.

As they were led through Barty felt a glum sense of nostalgia, recalling the house of his youth and briefly missing the luxuries that he used to live in.

"It sure is," Barty responded, cutting off a small bit of cheese and snacking on it with a thin wheat biscuit.

"I wonder if I can speak to the estate cook or their assistants, I'll definitely need to grab some stuff from the market before we leave" He said as he poured himself a glass of the lemonade and took a sip.

(Oops, I misunderstood what you meant.)

"I don't see why they wouldn't let you talk to the chef, it's not like this is a prison or anything." Andromeda said between bites of cheese. "I don't think bringing cheese is a good idea though, maybe for a snack on the first day I guess, but the rest would go bad, especially in this heat." She said thoughtfully. "I wonder how long we're going to have to wait. I hope this isn't some stupid bargaining tact-" The sound of a door opening across the room ended the conversation rather abruptly as Andromeda turned to look around only to have her jaw practically hit the floor. 

The person who walked in wasn't anything like what Andromeda had expected, having instead imagined an older man in a suit and tie. Instead the man was a few years older then Andromeda and in her head twice as good looking. Instantly her cheeks flushed and she looked down at her shoes in embarrassment, shuffling a little so that she was standing behind and to the right of Barty.

"Good day and welcome to my home." The man said with a polite bow. "I am Shamal Perona, but you may call me Shamal. Miss TIller tells me that you are wizards from Sphinx's Paw?" He asked, still being very polite. "It's a pleasure to meet you both, but before we go any further what should I call you both?" He asked with a smile. 

(Terrible artist that I am, I attempted to draw Fairytail style Barty's and Andy's reactions to the fancy mansion I attempted to make it look nicer using the PC but that was too tedious.)

Spoiler

59b23ebfb0adf_AsjustedSpinx.png.cb9bbe3ac0210195c057ddb10b3cc915.png

(Midori was excluded mainly because I got tired of drawing)

Barty inclined his head towards their host, noting Andy's sudden unwillingness to speak.

"Good day sir, and thank you for inviting us into your home," Barty replied curtly.

"We are three wizards of Spinx's paw, my name is Bartolomeo, to my right is Midori and the young girl struggling to make eye contact with you is the intrepid leader of this party; Andromeda" Barty said, indicated himself, midori and finally Andy in turn.

"Before you provide us further info on our mission for you, I had just a small personal request," Barty said looking fixedly at Shamal.

"At the guild I'm the assistant cook and from the brief view from the train station and the small sample here I gather that this cities Bazaar has some excellent produce, I wondered whether I could have a word with the one who does your grocery shopping while we're here," Barty finished, kindly smiling at Shamal.

Inwardly Barty felt a little nervou, it'd been some time since he'd talked to someone of upper class and he didn't know if his communication was of the same standard as when he was younger.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

(You draw better then I can.)

Andromeda's blush deepened when Barty mentioned her and pointed out that she wasn't making eye contact, which in turn only made her more self-conscious.

"I um, yes I'm the uh, the leader Andromeda..." She said lamely, forcing herself to look up and into Shamal's green eyes as she extended one hand to shake. The look didn't last long before Andromeda lowered her gaze and focussed solely on the man's mouth instead, making it somewhat easier to focus.  

Shamal's smile widened as he took Andromeda's hand and kissed the back of it before gesturing to the table at the center of the room. "It's a pleasure to meet you all and I'm glad to have you here. If you'll take a seat we can begin discussing the job. As for the produce I'd be happy to put you in contact with my cook before you leave. He can tell you about the various goods that he uses." Shamal said as he sat down at the table with the three wizards opposite him. 

"Before that though I'd like to get to business first. Now I'm sure you have many questions and I'll try to answer them as best as I can." Shamal said, his tone becoming more serious. "Now, as the flyer said I want you all to go and retrieve a family heirloom from a lost tomb that lies in the desert to the south of this city. The heirloom in question is a gold box measuring 1 foot by eight inches by six inches. It is sealed with both a mundane lock, as well as a magic lock. The box has a lion engraved on the top and also has jewels decorating its surface. The side has constellations etched into it with silver. When you retrieve the heirloom I would like you to bring it back here immediately." He explained, sliding a drawing of the box across the table to the group. "The tomb that the box resides in is, according to our family history, the resting place of a relative from thousands of years ago. The tomb is supposedly guarded by traps both mundane and magical as well as something called the 'graven guardians', whatever that means. Successful recovery will be rewarded with 600,000$." Shamal explained. 

"How are we supposed to find the tomb if it's, well lost?" Andromeda asked curiously. "Also if you know where it is then isn't it not lost?"

"Family legend says that the tomb itself is magical so it never remains in the same place for more then a month. Recently it appeared close enough that this compass can point to the entrance to the tomb as it was intended." Shamal explained as he slid a wood box across the table to Andromeda.

Inside was an old bronze compass and an iron key sitting in felt slots. "That key should get you inside, but if it doesn't then do what you must to complete the job. Now before we go any further I would like to point out that while I do want the box this is not some random grave to be robbed. Do what you can to leave the tomb undisturbed. It is the resting place of my ancestor after all. Now are there any questions?" 

(I had an idea for another S class of the guild but it can wait)

As Shamal began to talk Barty hurriedly pulled out a notepad and began jotting down the info, pausing briefly to take a look at the image of the box.

I wonder if my family has any ancient ruins with valubles in them... Barty wondered.

"A shifting tomb... that's probably the first layer of magical defense I guess," Barty thought aloud.

"And no need to worry if the key doesn't work, I'm an earth wizard, I can open up the tomb and put it back in it's right place with no sign," Barty said reassuringly to Shamal.

He leaned back in the chair and twirled his finger through his bangs. "I wonder what these guardians are like will they just be animated golems or will they be able to cast magic of their own".

Barty stood up and leaned in to shake Shamals hand, a smile once again returning, "All in all, there's no need to worry, we're Sphinxs Paw after all, ancient tombs should be no issue. Leave the rest to us and we'll bring your box back. I can talk to the cook when we return," Barty said he then turned back towards his companions.

"What do you say girls? Shall we head off straight away?" He asked cheerfully.

(Sounds cool.)

Shamal stood up at the same time as Barty and shook the other man's hand back. 
"Thank you for taking this job, my family and I appreciate it." Shamal said to the three wizards. "Sadly I have business to attend to though, so Miss Tiller will have to show you all out again. I look forward to your safe return." Shamal said politely.

Almost instantly the maid that had first led the group into the room reappeared from around the corner and bowed to the group. "If you'll follow me please." She said before turning and leading the way back through the house and out to the front gate. This opened automatically, but before the group left the maid stopped them.

"Master Perona wishes for you all to have this." She said as she bowed and handed Andromeda a hard leather pouch. "Inside is the seal of the Perona household. It will allow you to purchase provisions for your expedition and charge them to the family. It should be noted that all of these purchases will be able to be viewed and should the privilege be abused it will be reported to law enforcement as stealing. Master Perona also says that there are places to rent magic-mobiles that are specifically designed for the desert and advises you to look into them as the desert is extremely large and hard to traverse without other modes of transportation." The maid said before bowing again and waiting for the group to leave so that the gate could shut.

"I guess we should go check out the magic-mobiles then? I don't think we need anything else in the way of supplies." Andromeda suggested. 

Her manner was returning to normal now that she was away from Shamal and she was obviously eager to get started. 

(The magic-mobiles are like dune buggies) 

(EDIT: Moved Nathaniel to my first post)

Barty left the building with Andy and Midori, going over the notes he'd taken as they walked.

When the maid left barty hmm'd.

"I wish they would've said they'd pay for provisions on the note, I wouldn't have had to get this," He said, hefting the ingredients bag weighing on his shoulder.

"We could probably get some more meat to replace the stuff I cooked on the train," He concluded thoughtfully.

Barty stroked his chin, now would be a good time to sample some of the stuff from the bazaar, if they just got a small amount Shamal wouldn't call it abusing would he? Barty continued to wonder, his eyes scrunching up.

"Uhh, anyway do you know the way to the magic-mobiles? And what should be the order for riding, should we take turns? I'm the oldest so i've probably got the largest magic supply out of us three," Barty suggested.

"I don't mind taking us the entirety of the way there but I'll want to pace myself so I don't get completely drained," He said looking from Andy to Midori.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

"Maybe they left out the provision part so people wouldn't try and take advantage of the situation." Andromeda said, opening the leather pouch to look at the golden seal inside. It was emblazoned with the crest that was also wrought into the iron gates that had just left, and was easily identifiable. There was no doubt it was the real thing and Andromeda could tell just by looking at it that it could open a lot of doors that wouldn't normally be open to the group. If someone had the mind to abuse the seal then a lot of damage could be done in a relatively short amount of time. "It is strange that Shamal gave us this though, I mean it's really dangerous in the wrong hands. Why not just give a voucher or something?" Andromeda said half to herself as she tried to think things through. 

Finally Andromeda shrugged and carefully pocketed the pouch where it would be safe before turning to Barty. "I guess we should get moving, I have no idea where the magic-mobile place is so we need to start looking who knows, maybe we can find one with those special lacrima that keep them cool. That way we don't fry the whole trip." Andromeda said happily as she peered around, looking for a local that looked friendly. "As for order I don't think it matters as long as we each go until we start to get tired, then switch to the next person. As long as we rest to replenish our magic energy when we get there I don't think it'll be a big deal." Andromeda said cheerfully. "Who knows, if we get there late enough we could just sleep and go in the next morning before breakfast. At least that way we don't have to worry about being drained."

Andromeda eventually spotted a nice looking woman and approached her to ask for directions politely. The local was helpful in the extreme and the group had no problems following the instructions through the city and out to the south side which faced the desert. 

The Magic-Mobile rental place that they found was a nicer establishment that was run by a father and his sons. They were quick to show the group a vehicle that would suit the groups needs, although they tried to sell a higher priced vehicle when they saw that the Perona's were paying for it. 

Luckily Andromeda didn't flash the Perona's seal until right before paying, so the group was able to take a less expensive vehicle that was still comfortable.

"Ok so all we need to do is finish shopping then we can go!" Andromeda said excitedly when the sale was concluded. "You're our cook oh great Barty, what do we need?"

"Well there isn't really much we need to get," Barty replied.

"I asked Sol to pack us enough ingredients to last us a week, and this doesn't seem like it's gonna take that long," Barty continued, leaning up against a building wall.

"I guess we could try grab some extra water, or maybe rent a cooling lacrima if you want it that badly," Barty suggested.

He scratched his head, he really wished that they'd known about purchasing supplies earlier. An idea struck him.

"Oh I know, we can get some spices! Try out and see what spices are good and hopefully make our meals a bit better! I'll admit the stuff in here is pretty basic, might as well be do-it-yourself ration packs," Barty said, examining the pack full of food supplies.

He then felt a chill run down his neck, "Ahh but don't let Sol know I said that... knowing her she could probably whip up something incredible with half the variety in here," Barty mused.

"Let's leave the magic-mobile here, go check out the market and come back! How does that sound," he finished.

(So for the bazaar picture it shows cats but I only just finished  the Edolas arc and while the Exceeds went off into the world I don't know how widespread they become later on. So unless you think otherwise just ignore them I guess. Oh I forgot to comment on Nega-Lucy. He looks good character sheet wise, feel free to use him.)

"I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining, it's just that having a cool area would be nice." Andromeda said defensively when Barty mentioned trying to find one. "I just don't see why we have to be uncomfortable during the job, so don't make fun of me." She said before sticking her tongue out at Barty. 

When Barty mentioned getting spices though and insulted what Sol had given them Andromeda smiled evilly shook her head a little. "Oh Barty, I don't know. Sol is so scary that I might just tell her what you just said. I mean she is so much more powerful then us, and a much better cook." Andromeda said teasingly. "I guess I'll just have to try and keep my mouth shut, but it's so hard. I mean what with the stress of the job and the heat..." The younger wizard put one hand on her forehead and pretended to faint against the wall, then stood up laughing. "I'm just kidding, but yeah let's go get some more water and some spices. Who knows, maybe we'll find something interesting to buy too." 

The bazaar was teeming with people of every shape, size, and origin, all talking, laughing, shouting, and in one case even brawling. There were hundreds of different merchants present and it was hard to navigate through the crowds, especially when trying to stay together. 

It didn't take long to locate some spices and purchase them after Barty got some tips for cooking, then it was back towards where the magic-mobile was waiting for them.

"Guys come here quick!" Andromeda said as she veered off the path and over to a small tent. The tent in question sold books, most of them having to do with magic, others being either history or just plain novels. The book that Andromeda had spotted was locked in a case near the entrance, it's cover the only thing visible inside the felt lined box. 
The book was obviously extremely old, but seemed to be in good condition. The front was emblazoned with silver stars in various positions, while gold letters spelled out the name of the book.

"Stars of the north." Andromeda whispered, her nose practically pressed against the glass. "This book is the greatest repository of heavenly body magic that has ever been written. Supposedly it was written by the creator of heavenly body magic almost 100 years ago. Only 50 copies were ever printed and they're all super rare. Nobody even knows how many still exist, but these books can show a heavenly body wizard techniques that have been long forgotten. My teacher Thilda told me about this book once. She said that she'd read a small portion of one, although she couldn't do the magic because she didn't read the whole thing." Andromeda explained before turning and looking around. 

"How much." Andromeda asked the shopkeeper the moment she spotted him. He was a fat man with a stained shirt. a mustache and a sour disposition, and was currently seated at a table nearby.

"For what?" The shopkeeper asked with a burp. 

"For that." Andromeda said, her voice far more serious then normal as she pointed to the locked case. "I want Stars of the North. How much?"

"Oh I don't think that's the kind of book for you." The shopkeeper said with a laugh. "That's for powerful wizards only. How about a nice romance instead? I've got one that all the girls your age like." He said in a condescending tone.

"I'm not interested in romance novels and I am a wizard." Andromeda said, her temper rising. "I want that book. So how much?"

"More then you can afford princess so get lost. That book is for heavenly body wizards and is worth a fortune. I seriously doubt you're a heavenly body wizard, and I know you don't have a fortune just by the way you're dressed. So how about you go practice your little magic tricks somewhere else and leave me alone." The man said in an annoyed tone.

Andromeda was truly getting angry at this point, something that didn't normally happen, and her eyes were beginning to glow with the golden yellow light that normally accompanied her magic while small pebbles began to orbit her feet. "I am a heavenly body wizard, I am apart of the Sphinx's Paw guild, and I want to know how much the book is!" She snarled.

"And I'm telling you that you can't afford this book and even if you could, you couldn't do the magic inside!" The man snapped back. "You think I'm intimidated by your little lights? Anyone can do that with the right tools. As for Sphinx's Paw who cares? They're so low on the totem pole that they might as well not exist. Did they let you in because they're that desperate for bodies? Where did they find you in an orphanage? Do they just pick kids at random, train them to cast a few spells and then say they're a guild? God what a joke." The man taunted, laughing as he watched Andromeda get angrier and angrier. 

Everyone at Sphinx's Paw knew that Andromeda didn't talk about her parents and that she hated people even asking if they were deceased. Being called an orphan was about the worst thing someone could say to her and when she heard those words Andromeda snapped. Power began to burst out of her at an alarming rate as her eyes narrowed on the man. 

Debris began orbiting Andromeda and Midori only just dodged a couple of lanterns that came flying towards her head from a nearby stall. The bazaar's crowd was backing off as well, forming a large circle so that they could avoid the debris while still being able to watch what was happening.

"I'm going to destroy you."  Andromeda said, power gathering around her fists as she advanced on the man. "I'm going to destroy you and all that you own right now. You are going to wish you had never said that, and when you're lying in that hospital bed you're going to cry and ask yourself why you didn't just tell me the damn price!" Andromeda yelled, raising one hand and aiming it at the man. 

Beams of light shot out from Andromeda's hand and if it weren't for the fact that the man dived out of the way he would have been beaten senseless by the attack. Instead the chair that the man had been sitting in was reduced to splinters. "Why are you dodging out of the way? I thought I wasn't a real wizard! I mean I can't hurt you if I'm not a real wizard right?" Andromeda mocked as she readied another attack.

Edited by nomadicdesert

(Well he can show up later:) Also there's been bugger all info on the other exceeds, the only others that have shown up were like Happy and Carla and were born in Fiore. You know I don't think you ever said when this is set? Are we gonna just agree that it's set after Edolas? Actually if we set it then something can occur later down the line that would be neat)

As they walked through the bazaar Barty examined the small pouch he'd purchased, he gave it a sniff and there was a very thick earthy smell.

"Wuhh, I don't think this is normal spice," He said to Midori.

"So Mimi, Andy wasn't the only one suspiciously quiet in the illustrious Shamals presence, hoping he'll sweep you up in his arms and profess his love to you? With that kind of house I don't think I'd mind it," Barty chuckled at Midori.

She gave him a pained smiled and elbowed him hard in the ribs.

"Don't call me that, and I didn't have to speak, you were handling it perfectly well. It wouldn't have been polite if we'd overwhelmed him with talk," She explained. Barty nodded in agreement, he had similar knowledge from his own pampered upbringing.

"Hey is that a cat running a stand," Barty exclaimed in surprise, the sight completely befuddling him.

The two were then distracted as Andy ran over to a book store.

As she spouted on about the amazing book Barty rolled his eyes and muttered quietly to himself, "Oh yeah let him know how much it's worth, he might've just thought it was pretty and would've sold it at a lower cost than it's value".

He paused and listened as Andy began to argue with the shopkeep.

His eyes narrowed in disgust as the man barked insults about their guild, the Barty had to agree that they were rather low on notoriety.

This is what happens when our strongest wizard doesn't leave the kitchen Barty thought to himself.

His jaw then dropped as a violent flash of magic erupted from Andy, aimed at the shop keep.

"Earth-make sarcophagus!" Barty shouted, clapping his hands together.

A solid coffin of earth appeared around Andromeda, obscuring the light being emitted from her.

"Midori reinforce it with your own magic!" Barty shouted over his shoulder. A burst of magic shot out from midori and several glistening chains of crystal wrapped themselves around the sarcophagus.

Barty bolted over the counter to check that the shopkeep wasn't hurt. His swollen face was red and it looked like he was about to explode.

"Earth-make muzzle!" Barty shouted and a muzzle appeared, obscuring the mans voice. Barty pounced down on the man and placed his hands firmly on his shoulder.

"Don't say a word! You brought this on yourself. Now you are unharmed, you are unharmed and apart from a chair, which can be easily replaced none of your inventory is damaged, so take this money that I have no right to give you and leave the girl alone," Barty stated, forcing a considerable sum of Jewel into the mans chest.

He stood up and clapped his hands, a stool appearing where the splintered chair still was. The shopkeep hastily stood up and started gesturing madly at the muzzle still secured to his face, muffled shouting heard form belief.

Barty stared coolly back at him, doing his best impression of Sol.

"That's your punishment for what you said, both about the guild and what you said to Andy," Unfortunately Barty's explanation fell on def ears as the man swung his pudgy fist at Barty's head.

Barty ducked, clapping his hands again as what was unmistakably a large stone mace appeared in his hands. The mace collided with the muzzle shattering both items and the shopkeep fell to the floor, his eyes glazed over, unconscious.

Damn now I've hit the man who my comrade was attacking Barty thought angrily to himself.

Turning back to the bazaar he was shocked to see the whole crowd slumped on the ground asleep.

"Wha-" Barty stammered, before noticing a tall purple-skinned man, he had a sinister looking goatee and neatly cropped hair with a streak of white running through it. His arms were held out to his sides black energy swirling from his fingertips.

Barty recognised the man but before he could speak up he heard a dull whirring sound as a slumped figure appeared from behind the man, seated in a magic-powered wheelchair.

"Hello Bartolomeo... Midori... what a nice coincidence," the dull voice of Nathaniel White said.

He looked from the sarcophagus to the bookstand, to Barty and Midori and then to the throng of people now asleep.

"Vice did you put dear Andromeda to sleep as well?" He asked.

The purple skin man nodded.

"Indeed sir, I thought her behaviour to be quite reckless, however she is still emitting considerably magic energy, hence why I must maintain my spell to keep her subdued," The purple demon responded. Nathaniel gave a slight nod and held out a finger, as he moved it a pattern of blood appeared on the ground next to Barty and Midori.

"For now I think it's best to keep her in their, at least until we can wake and calm her," he said.

"So tell me, why are you doing in Taraq... its a nice city, though quite warm," Nathaniel continued pleasantly, as he finished the pattern on the ground. As the circle of blood completed it instantly caught fire, instantly turning into a black mark on the ground. The seal then split in half, as the ground seemingly opened out like two doors. As it opened Barty saw a black void inside, before it was obstructed as two huge leather wings emerged, carrying a tall hair form. The humanoid figure had almost no features on it's head, it was smooth and round except for two almost protruding eye, not unlike a frogs though white with no visible pupil. It stood tall folding it's leather wings in on itself.

"Sentry please carry the sarcophagus," Nathaniel stated.

Barty noted that the elbow of the wings had what appeared to be hands. The tall sentry stooped and hefted the sarcophagus, still chained onto it's back.

"Now lets walk to your magic mobile, so I can let all these people return to their business," Nathaniel said and started moving back down the bazaar.

(Okay if you think Nathaniel acting as a deus ex machina is too much I'll remove that entire section, it just seemed to fit so well. And he's not gonna come on the quest if that also concerns you)

(Yeah let's set it after Edolas. That way when I watch more we can move the story along. Also I don't mind Nathaniel doing that, Andy was just super pissed is all so it worked out.)

Magic power continued to radiate from the sarcophagus even when it was made and the people outside could hear the dull thumps of more magic being unleashed against the sides. Small cracks appeared along the stone as more magic pummeled the sides, but eventually Andromeda stopped throwing power around, although everyone could still hear her angry curses, at least until they suddenly fell silent. The magic power that was causing the air to thrum ceased altogether and all the things that had been orbiting Andromeda fell to the ground like puppets with their strings cut.

A small sound from inside the stone coffin marked the moment when Andromeda fell asleep and slumped against the inside of the sarcophagus. 

The demon that Nathaniel summoned picked up the coffin with ease and shouldered its weight to begin the walk back to the magic-mobile.

When the group reached the edge of the bazaar Nathaniel finally released the sleep magic and let everyone in the market go back to their business. Nobody would remember having to stand back up so they wouldn't even notice the couple of minutes that they had been asleep.

The only person who would remember would be the shopkeeper and while he was the kind of person to cause trouble he was also pragmatic and knew that causing further trouble wasn't a good idea without some help. For the moment it was better to let things go.

The way back to the magic-mobile was quiet except for the whir of Nathaniel's wheelchair and when they got back he had his demons lay the sarcophagus down on the ground before letting them go back to wherever they came from.

"It's lucky that she missed." Nathaniel said as he turned back to Barty and Midori. "Even if she's not as strong as you she still could have killed that man with that amount of magical energy. I will admit it is impressive though. The amount of magical energy she was putting off was equal to any A class wizard in the guild. She might be up for promotion, although she needs to watch out. If she doesn't then she could be kicked out just for attacking that man. Don't worrry though my lips are sealed. Just keep an eye on her." Nathaniel said.

(I'm not great at playing characters like Nathaniel so I'm sorry if he didn't act right. Also Andromeda wont remember being put to sleep so the moment she wakes up she'll go back to attacking the sarcophagus and trying to get out. Barry will have to calm her down. She continues to try and escape until released.) 

Edited by nomadicdesert

(Oh good, and yeah, this can give us some opportunites... so hurry up and watch more fairy tail :D. Also it's fine, Nathaniel is basically a pleasent person, but quite quiet, I wasn't sure how to portray midori)

"Now, Midori, Bartolomeo, let Andromeda out. Vice please have the sleep spell ready should she not be in an approachable state when she wakes," Nathaniel instructed the group.

Barty and Midori both nodded and removed their magic, the sarcophagus and chains disappearing.

Barty slowly approached the unconcious Andy and paused, he had no idea how to wake her.

"Uhh Midori you do it," Barty said, hastily stepping back.

Looking confused at Barty Midori stepped forward and shook Andy's shoulder.

"Hey Andy, wake up, it's us, are you alright?" She asked in a gentle voice.

(Not really much to write this post, also if you want Andy to get the book, Nathaniel could probably buy it for her while we're off on the quest, I was gonna just have Barty take it as punishment to the owner but didn't know where you wanted to go with it)

(I was thinking that maybe the book has heavenly body magic like Andromeda said, and it does have the more basic stuff like what she uses, advanced techniques, but it's also full of dark magic as well, like making black holes (I know that's gravity magic but still), dark matter, manipulating dark energy, etc... So maybe Andy's original instructor saw or even owned a copy of the book, accidentally let something slip about it, then covered it up as best she could. Just an idea, so if Nathaniel buys it then a story arc might come of it somehow. What do you think? Also it's funny that Barry threw Midori under the bus.)

When the sarcophagus and chains finally disappeared Andromeda'a unconscious form slumped to the ground, leaving her sprawled there. 

It took a minute or so for Andromeda to finally wake up but when she did her magic roared back into life and she was standing within seconds, eyes glowing with golden light, and hands raised to strike yet again. 

Nathaniel's demon made a move to start up the sleeping spell yet again but stopped when Andromeda looked around in a confused manner and allowed her magic to fade away. 

"What? Where am I?" Andromeda asked as she turned around in confusion, only for her eyes to settle on Barty. 

"You used magic on me!" She said angrily as she pointed an accusing finger at him. "I remember, you put me in a coffin! Why'd you do that? You heard what he said about our guild, you should have been helping! And how did we get here so fast? I was just at the tent and now we're here, I know you can't teleport Barty!" 

"You were put to sleep by my magic Andromeda." Nathaniel said calmly even as Andromeda whirled towards him. 

"You stopped me? Why? That man said terrible things about me about the guil-" Andromeda said only to be cut off by Nathaniel. 

"Yes he did say bad things but that doesn't give you the right to attack him Andromeda. It's against the law to attack somebody like that, and I know you didn't mean to but if that magic had hit him you would have killed that man." Nathaniel said, raising his voice above Andromeda's like a parent scolding a child. "Do you understand Andromeda? You almost murdered a man for saying something mean, and you did assault him. You broke the law which reflects badly on both yourself and on the guild. What do you think the master would do if he found out about this?" Nathaniel demanded. 

"He would... He-" Andy began, her eyes downcast in shame now and tears in the corners of her eyes.

"He would banish you from the guild! He would let the authorities take you away, then come and visit so that he could remove your guild mark! You could have gone to prison if I hadn't been there!" Nathaniel said sternly. 

"I... I didn't mean to..." Andromeda said quietly, tears on her cheeks now. "I just... He made me so angry."

"I know he did." Nathaniel said in a gentler tone. "I know you don't like to talk about the things he said, and I know you didn't mean for things to go so far, but you have to be careful Andy. You have a lot of power and what's more, you have the potential to get a lot more the longer you're a wizard. You need to keep yourself in check so you don't hurt innocents, even if that means taking crap from some idiot in a market.   I shouldn't say this but if you absolutely feel the need to attack someone being stupid just punch them because using magic against an innocent civilian is never acceptable." Nathaniel explained. 

Andromeda could only only look at the ground as she nodded and wiped her face with her arm. She knew that she had screwed up and was angry that it had happened. She always tried to be happy and thoughtful, but this time the man had gotten under her skin and had said just the right things to truly make her angry, something that very few people could say they had ever seen.

"I'm sorry." Andromeda said quietly. "It won't happen again."

Edited by nomadicdesert

(I guess, I'm gonna start figuring out the intricacies of the "quest" I'm thinking of, though it'll require you to watch more of the anime cause spoilers :P Let me know when you're a bit of the way through the tenrou arc and I can let you in on some info)

Barty stood by and watched as Nathaniel laid into Andy, he felt a little bad. It was rare for Nathaniel to raise his voice, he and Sol had that in common but while she relied on death glares if she was mad Nathaniel was the one to use the puppy dog approach, and just make you feel bad.

Barty walked over and crouched down next to Andy, giving a reassuring pat on the back.

"It may not have been heavenly body magic but that shop-keep was seeing stars by the end there," Barty mused, handing Andy a handkerchief.

Nathaniel smiled at the attempt to cheer up Andy.

"So, what are you doing here? I'm assuming you're on a job," He asked, his visible eyes growing more pleasent.

"Yeah, we're going to be retrieving a family artifact from a tomb," Barty said, standing up and turning back to Nathaniel.

Nathaniel cocked his head in intrigue, "Oh, that seems a little mundane," he teased.

Barty chuckled and continued, "The place is trapped, and guarded by, probably, magical protectors. It also apparently changes location. Ever heard of anything like that".

Nathaniel tapped his chin thoughtfully, "Hmm, I think I've heard it somewhere but specifics you'd have a better chance asking the master or one of the older wizards in the guild," he replied.

Midori also joined the conversation, "So why are you here Nathaniel? It seemed like an incredible coincidence to run into you" she asked.

"Oh me? I was doing a job in the mountains on the other side of the desert. Taraq is a natural stop on my way home and like you I figured I'd browse the markets, there can be some unwelcoming alleys in places like this but they're the best place to find gate-seals," Nathaniel explained.

Midori cocked her head, "You're magic uses items?" she asked.

Nathaniel chuckled and shook his head, "It doesn't use items, I'm not a celestial wizard, but I do need knowledge of the seals to summon my demons. Most of them can only be found in magically sealed vaults and dark labyrinths, but occasionally a page depicting one will pop up at a black market auction. I acquired the Hounds seal that way," he said.

He paused and leaned forward, "Don't tell anyone but I didn't actually pay for it. They were selling it at an unreasonable price to a group of Zeref worshipers so I just... introduced them to Gargant," Nathaniel said pleasantly.

Barty felt a similar chill run down his spine like the feeling he gets when he's burnt food in Sol's presence, "Are all S class wizards so scary?" He thought to himself.

(Sorry for the late reply)

(If you don't like my idea then just say so, it was just a suggestion. I've started watching Fairytail online and just got past the part where Natsu backed down to Gildart, which was sort of terrifying actually.)

Andromeda gave Barry a small smile when he attempted to cheer her up and took the handkerchief that was offered. She wiped her eyes and blew her nose, then offered it back to Barry before she shook herself to regain her composure. 

"Learn from your mistakes, that's how a wizard reaches the pinnacle of their power. Do you think that the wizard saints just had their power handed to them? No, they earned it through years of hardship and learning. Everyone stumbles and falls in life, especially wizards. What matters is that you stand back up, brush yourself off, and face down the future with determination and courage. Remember what you learned but don't dwell on the past. It cannot be changed no matter how much magic someone possesses. That's the key to being a great wizard Andromeda, not raw power but determination, courage, and skill."

Even after all the years that had passed Andromeda still remembered the Masters words as well as when they had first been spoken.

This was one of the moments he had spoken of, a time when she had stumbled. Now it was just a matter of moving forward, the lesson learned but her mind only on the future.

Andromeda finally returned her mind back to the conversation at hand and heard mention of Nathaniel's job on the other side of the desert. 

She really wanted to ask how he made it across the desert in a wheelchair, then decided against it and left things alone.

"That bookshop guy might have something." Andromeda said after Nathaniel mentioned that he was looking for gate-seals. "I dunno, maybe it's just because he made me mad but he seemed sort of shady to me. I mean how many random vendors just have Stars of the North sitting out for everyone to see. He also knew what it was, which means that even if the store's on the level then whoever he got the book from probably isn't. Just a thought is all." Andromeda said, her brain engaging again.

She hadn't considered those points herself at the time but it made a certain amount of sense. If nothing else finding the guys supplier would probably lead to even more valuable books.

Andromeda shivered at the thought of being on the receiving end of Nathaniel's magic as well, when it was mentioned. His monster/demon things gave her the creeps to begin with and she certainly wouldn't want one of them coming after her.

"We should probably get going and get some miles in." Andromeda said to Barty. "Not to be rude Nathaniel but we can't risk the tomb vanishing before we get there. That would be an awkward conversation to have with our client."

(Sorry I didn't mean it like that, I'm fine with that idea, I was very tired writing that last night so it sort of seeped into the words I used. Also you keep calling him Barry...)

Nathaniel chuckled, "Well I might go have a word with him once he's regained conciousness," he said glancing at Barty.

Barty chuckled in response and climbed into the magic mobile, hooking his arm up to the magic plug.

"Well I used a bit of magic there so I won't be taking us the full trip, Midori you used the least so you want to switch half way?" Barty asked.

Midori nodded, Andy had been letting off a lot of magic energy before so it would be best if she didn't spend anymore.

"You hopping in captain," Barty asked, looking at Andy.

(It's all good, I understand being tired. As for the Barry thing, I usually type responses up on my cell phone and it keeps autocorrecting Barty to Barry. I try to catch it whenever I can but it gets by. Sorry it's nothing personal. I figure they're going pretty easy in the desert, so not climbing dunes or going super fast so Barty won't run out of magic to soon.)

"Bye Nathaniel." Andromeda said with a wave as she got into the magic-mobile and buckled up. "See you back at the guild hall!"

The magic-mobile took off after that and soon the team was out of the city and roaring off into the desert. 
"We need to head that way!" Andromeda said loudly over the engine, pointing southwest after checking the compass that they had been given. "Just keep going that direction and we'll check the compass in an hour."

After that it was just a lot of driving. It was hot and there wasn't much to look at which led to a lot of boredom. Usually the magic-mobiles that were designed for the desert were used for fun, but since they were using it for travelling a long distance they couldn't waste the magic energy. Every hour or so Andromeda would check the compass and have Barty make course corrections, but besides that there wasn't much to do.

After a couple of hours Midori switched out with Barty and took over. It was at that point that Andromeda handed off the compass and climbed into the back seat where she curled up and fell asleep. She had used a lot of magic energy in her anger and was tired, but a quick nap would take care of the problem. 

Around noon the group hit what seemed to be a wasteland of sorts, with no sand on it at all. Instead it was replaced with scorching hot rock that went for miles. The only thing that broke up the flat surface were tall, jagged rock piles that were scattered around, each surrounded by a pile of dirt. In the distance was a huge shape that was unmistakably the carcass of some animal. Even from the edge of the area it was easy to see that the animal had been savaged. There was very little meat left on the body and it was impossible to even distinguish what it might have looked like when alive. 

"Are we there already?" Andromeda asked from the back seat as she sat up and stretched. "We made better time then I thought."

"We're not there Andy." Midori said, pointing to the shape in the distance. 

Andy squinted and leaned forward, trying to see what the shape was past the bright sun but was unable to make out anything beyond the obvious.

"What could do that?" She asked in wonder, opening the magic-mobile's door and stepping out. "I didn't think anything lived out here in the desert."

(So this is what they are. They bury themselves in the desert until night when they go hunting. They're like wolves in that they roam in packs, and there's about a dozen of them in the rock field, which is about three miles across. The rocks sticking up from the ground are the spines and stuff on their backs. Oh and they're about the size of a horse each. You can name them if you want :D)

(Why have you put me in such a tenuous situation!!!! Also is the carcass one of them or is Midori pointing at a visible one standing over the carcass... I'm assuming one is visible)

Barty stood up from his seat next to Midori and squinted, looking out at them.

"Huh... looks like a (ARRRRRRGH, QUICK RESORT TO SOMETHING THAT ACTUALLY EXISTS) desert manticore... they're smaller then normal manticores, no wings and they spit venom as opposed to having a stinger... and I'm pretty sure they live in packs" Barty said, is voice trailing off.

"Hmm, my guess is that some of the rocks out their are the rest of the pack, they're nocturnal so they shouldn't be attacking us now, but the magic moble makes a fair bit of noise, it might wake them up, if that happens things could really turn nasty," Barty continued.

He adjusted the hat on his head, earlier in the trip he'd removed the hooded veil from his bag and put it on to help shield him from the heat while he was sitting out the front of the magic mobile.

"I have three ideas... one, we can take a long route around them, we don't know how long that could take nor if there are any more in the area," Barty explained.

"Two, Midori and I can combine our magic to make a sort of... armoured shell around the magic mobile, my magic to form the structure, Midori's to reinforce. Andy, you would have to take over powering the magic mobile, and they might stick with us till we reach the tomb which would just be delaying the inevitable and lead to the third idea," Barty continued.

"Three, we try to fight them, if we hit them hard quickly that might deter them from tangling with us, but I don't know how sturdy they are, nor how vicious. They're obviously ambush hunters so a direct confrontation wouldn't be the worst idea, and if we leave enough of an impact they wouldn't bother us on the way back either, assuming we travel this way again," Barty concluded.

He looked at the other two for support, then looked over at the jagged rocks poking out of the ground.

(I never commented on your place in the arc, but yeah that was a pretty good moment, now that you've seen his strength can you picture Sol giving off a similar aura cause I like to think they're pretty close in terms of power. And I figured Barry was a mistake because you used it once and then the following sentence switched back to Barty, I was just pointing it out in case you missed it)

(I'm sorry if you didn't like the monsters, I just figured that it would add something to the story instead of just saying the got to the tomb without any trouble. Also the carcass is just some random animal that the pack killed. It's leftovers are just lying around and the pack have burrowed down for the day. So for all intents and purposes all the group can see is a huge dead thing surrounded by a number of spiky rock formations. The creatures kind of curl up like a hedgehog during the day when they sleep so that's why you only see the spikes.)

Andromeda stood looking at the spiky formations on the ground, then looked at the enormous carcass that had been the packs most recent meal. Now that she looked she could see the spikes move ever so slightly now and then as the creatures breathed. 

"Those things took down whatever that dead thing used to be by themselves. I would say they're pretty vicious." Andromeda said nervously. "I could probably kill or at least seriously hurt two that are close together with one shot, but that still leaves a lot to deal with." 

Andromeda looked at at her companions, then back out at the wastes where the desert chimeras were sleeping. 

"I think our best option is number two. Number one takes to long and we don't want to miss the tomb. Number two at least gives us a chance of getting by them unharmed, and if they won't give up then we switch to number three." She said before turning and walking back to the magic-mobile. 

"Let's get to it then, daylights wasting and if they don't wake up when we go by then we want to be as far from here as possible when night comes around."

Preperations were easy enough to do, and when everyone was situated Andromeda pushed the throttle forward.

The engine revved and began to growl but instead of leaping forward it began to crawl forward and slowly start to accelerate. The weight from the rock was keeping the magic-mobile from reaching top speed and while it was going faster then Andromeda could have run it also wasn't going super fast either. In fact at a sprint almost anyone could have outrun it, which meant that the chimeras could catch them easily.

Andromeda aimed the magic-mobile so that the group would do a half-circle around the pack of chimeras and hoped that they were deep sleepers. Unfortunately the magic-mobile was also making a great deal of noise due to being overburdened, and it only took about 30 seconds for one and of the chimeras to stir, its spines shifting as it moved fitfully in its sleep. 

Of course that didn't last long as the beast woke with a loud growl and climbed out of its hole to look around. Others from the pack were doing the same thing and all were growling just as loud as the magic-mobile, their white eyes focused on the prey that had blundered into their hunting grounds. 

One of them, bigger then the rest suddenly let out a long howl howl which was taken up by the others as they all leapt from their holes and charged off after the magic-mobile, which had sped up as Andromeda poured even more of her magic energy into making it go faster. It still wasn't even close to full speed and the chimeras were easily catching up, but it was better then sitting still and letting them have their way with the vehicle.

"Try and scare them away or something, I can't keep this up for long!" Andromeda yelled over the noise of the chimeras and the engine. "Or open up vision ports, I'll stop and start shooting out while you two hold the barrier up, your choice!"

(I don't dislike the monsters, they look cool, I just don't like having to name them cause I couldn't think of anything :P)

"Quick swap, Midori take over powering the magic-mobile! Keep it straight, the shells not made for turning" Barty ordered, the chimers were visible through the varias diamond/glass windows on the shell.

"We can't open up a vision port, they spit poison that could be bad... I have an idea," Barty clapped his hands and placed them on the roof of the earth shell, a hole appeared and a dome appeared on top of that, a long pipe extending out from it.

"Alright! It's a bit heavy but Andy hop up in there and fire your blasts through it, there's no way they'll be able to spit poison through that, I'll try slow them down," Barty said, moving to the back of the magic mobile.

"Earth-make quick-sand," Barty exclaimed, as he extended his hands out towards the rushing ground. His hands connected and instead of being torn up by the rocks sunk in, magical energy sparking from his fingertips. The ground behind the magic-mobile rippled and churned.
Looking through the gap beneath the shell Barty noticed a faster Chimera charging forwards, before it's claws landed on the altered terrain and sunk in, the force of it's speed causing the rest of it's body to start following. It let out a howl as it sunk to it's shoulders. Barty watched as two of the pack caught up and stopped, scraping at the quick sand in an effort to get to their sinking packmate. The rest of the pack, led by the large on separated, splitting left and right around the quick sand.

"Alright thats got some off of us, Andy if you can keep them off of us, I'll prepare something big if they get too close," Barty called up to her, he wasn't sure if she and Midori had swapped places yet.

(I'd like to remind everyone of one of the benefits of maker magic; the ability to break apart the target material of the magic)

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

The magic-mobile ground to a halt when Midori and Andromeda switched places, then started moving again, albeit slowly as it had to go from a sitting position again.

The desert chimeras caught up a few moments later as Andromeda scrambled up into the turret. Some of the beasts ran by to cut off the magic-mobile, while two jumped on the vehicle and began to tear at the stone armor. The rest formed a circle around their prey and kept pace with the magic mobile, attempting to corral it like they would with any prey. 

The magic-mobile rocked as one of the chimeras slammed its body against the side of the rock armor, forcing Andromeda to hold on tightly for fear of falling. 

Forcing herself back into the turret Andromeda turned it to face one of the chimeras on the vehicle and made a gesture into the tube.

"Star Light!" She yelled as a beam of energy shot from her hand and impacted the chimera. 

The monster made a loud yelping sound and was punched off of the vehicle to land in a heap behind them. The blow didn't stop it however and within seconds the chimera was back up and in the chase once more. 

Another chimera replaced its packmate on the magic-mobile and began attacking it with claws, teeth, and acid. The chimeras weren't doing much damage but it was becoming obvious that they weren't going to give up anytime soon. 

Andromeda was firing energy pulses through the turret as fast as she could get a target but was unable to do much in the way of lasting damage due to the armored hide that the chimeras possessed. 

"Barty I think we might have to do something drastic!" Andromeda said as loud as she could just so Barty could hear her. "Do whatever big thing you have planned and I'll do the same! Midori! Drive straight ahead no matter what! Keep your eyes closed too! Same for you Barty!"

Without another word Andromeda turned the turret so that it faced forward and drew in as much magic energy as she could, pulling anything and everything that was left.

Just as they had in the market her eyes glowed golden while she took up as wide a stance as she could manage. Her auburn hair seemed to lose all weight and began to rise of its own accord, floating around her shoulders as if she were submerged in water. Suddenly a gold magic circle appeared before her as she pushed her hands together in a complex pattern before throwing them straight ahead on down the turret. 

Directly ahead of the magic-mobile a single beam of light maybe an inch across and as bright as the sun, appeared and lanced down to strike the ground. 

"Solar Flare!" Andromeda screamed, pushing everything she had into the attack. Without warning the tiny beam of light erupted into a pillar 30 feet across that hit and vaporized the two chimeras on the roof, the only sign of their passing being the two screams of pain that only lasted a split second.

The other chimeras skidded to a halt before the beam but even then one of them got to close and its fur caught fire, making it roll around to put the fire out.

The magic-mobile meanwhile, plowed straight through the burning light, the enterior suddenly becoming as hot as an oven. The only reason the armor and engine lasted was because the vehicle was only in it for a second, after which it leapt out the other side. The stone armor was red hot and when it began to cool it had been turned to shining glass by the heat.

The beam of light meanwhile flickered once, twice, then disappeared completely, leaving behind a perfectly round circle of red hot glass behind it. The chimeras were running away from the vehicle by now, having lost two of their packmates to it. 

The moment the beam of light went out was the moment that Andromeda ran out of magic energy and passed out, her limp form falling from the turret to land on the seat below. 

(So if you've played gears of war she basically just did a gigantic hammer of dawn.)

(My name is ironic, because I have never played Gears of War, my brother told me about playing it at a friends house and I thought the name sounded cool... I was 12. Also I just noticed you got the name wrong, they were manticores not chimeras, and that led to me getting it wrong too XD I do get them confused sometimes... also I never quite understood the deisgn of the magic-mobile)

Barty stood up, grasping onto the side of the magic-mobile and wiped the sweat from his brow.

He was watching through the back, glass panel as the remaining manticores fled.

"*sigh* nice work with that last blast Andy, guess I didn't have to resort to something drastic myself," Barty said, slumping down in the back seat.

"Barty, Andy's out!" Midori's voice chimed over the rumble of the wheels.

"What!?" Barty exclaimed, looking over his shoulder and seeing the sleeping form of Andy.

"That blast just now must've spent her, didn't you feel it? We went straight through it. Also release the magic, it's boiling in here," Midori said.

Barty released the magic, and the rush of wind flooded over him, he hadn't noticed that temperature change, but now that he could feel it they had been sweltering inside the shell.

"Damn and I thought my lava would've heated us up. This is such a weird feeling, like when you go to a snowy region and you use a ice lacrima to keep your drinks warm so they don't freeze" Barty said, re-adjusting his hat.

"Hey, I'm gonna put up a roof to keep the sun from us, Andy'll get burnt if we don't cover her face," Barty called up to Midori, before clapping his hands and a much smaller roof of earth appeared, attached to their buggie.

Barty turned back around, keeping an eye out behind them for anymore signs of the manticores.

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

(Manticores, chimeras, whatever works lol. Yeah sorry I switched the names, probably because I was tired when I was writing. Sorry about the confusion.)

Andromeda stayed unconscious for a long time, long enough that Midori was growing concerned. The good thing was that the young wizard was still breathing and her heartbeat was strong, the bad thing was that she didn't react to any of the efforts put forward to wake her. 

She remained unconscious for well over three hours, and when she next woke it was only long enough for her to take a drink of water. After that she passed out again, exhaustion overtaking her.

The ride through the desert after that was uneventful although the group still hadn't found the tomb by the time sunset rolled around. Andromeda was awake by now but was still laying on one of the seats, to weak to move very far. She had spent the rest of the day drifting in and out of reality, falling asleep after small periods of lucidity. Now she was fully awake and could move around as long as she took it slow.

"We'd better make camp." Midori said as the sun began to touch the horizon. "It'll be dark soon and we're all hungry. Andromeda especially needs to eat and sleep."

"I'm fine." Andromeda mumbled from the back seat only for her belly to growl loudly. 

Midori smiled as she pulled over on a flat stretch of desert between dunes and turned off the magic-mobile. She got off and went to help Andromeda out of the vehicle and over to a spot nearby where the girl could sit comfortably.

Then it was just a matter of unloading the items they would need for the night. Already the temperature was dropping and the stars could be seen high above. Andromeda flopped on her back and stared up at the stars, her eyes tracing the various constellations above.

Like a celestial wizard, Andromeda knew the stars above like the back of her hand, although it was for a different reason. She had to learn them because her master had made her learn them. 

"If you want to use the magic of the stars above, then you need to know the stars. Asking for power from a stranger will get you nowhere Andromeda."

Andromeda could remember the words like she had heard them the day before, and she would always remember them. She had been an angry, sad, and lonely child when her master had taken her in,convinced that the stars owed her something for what they had taken. Her master had disillusioned her of that line of thinking and instead shown her the beauty of the heavens again. She had explained how the heavens worked, and shown her how the planets and stars moved.
Only when Andromeda had shown respect to the heavens had she been taught true magic, and even then it had been slow going, her master not wanting her to suffer a relapse into the angry child that she had been.

By now the things needed for camp had been offloaded and Andromeda was sitting on her sleeping bag watching the others work towards dinner. She hoped fervently that the food would be better then what Barty had prepared on the train, but also knew that she had to eat. 
Solar flare was the most powerful spell that Andromeda knew how to cast, and it was always draining. With all the power that she had expended during the day it was little wonder that she had exhausted herself after casting the spell.

"Hey Barty, don't make overcook it this time." Andromeda joked, a smile on her lips as she took a long drink of water.