nomadicdesert

FairyTail RP, open and actively looking for people to join (Please join, we swear not to bite much)

((sure, sounds great!))

Midori had spent the morning poking around town. 

She'd started with a simple shopkeeper, asking if he'd seen a man before with the same lavender hair and gems on his fingertips. Granted, out of context, it almost sounded as if she was looking for a prince from a fairytale, and the girl smiled to herself at this silly thought, humming as she strolled down the cobblestone path towards the grandiose guild hall. Her search this time around had been fruitless as always, but Midori was patient in the face of adversity. Her life, at the moment, was seemingly content, so why was there any need to worry?

Distantly, Midori spared a thought for the guild. She was thankful that Sphinx's Paw seemed, for the most part, very welcoming, and the girl was more than adoring over the fact the guild master, albeit a strict man, was wholeheartedly an enabler of the independence granted to each guild member. As long as jobs were completed with efficiency and paperwork filed -- and really, it always was, because she couldn't stand the idea of a messy drawer -- Midori appreciated the free time that was all hers to use. It allowed her a balance between her personal goals and guildwork that kept her wholeheartedly in tune with her emotions.

She pushed open the door of the guild to reveal quite an interesting scene; there seemed to be a feast going on? 

"A celebration?" she questioned to herself quietly, before sliding off to the side and watching the scene with interested eyes. She witnessed Andromeda's small light display with a tilted head and a faint smile on her features; there was a certain hidden elegance to the girl's magic that she appreciated. When the chaos had died down somewhat and patrons began to head off for the rest of the day, having had their fill, Midori picked herself up from her little corner and headed over to the table. 

"That was quite a show, Andy," she said kindly, smiling. "Good day to you both, Andy, Barty. I hope you don't mind if I join you?" She took a seat in the spare space, crossing her legs. "So, how are you all today? Any interesting news to share?" 

(I just realised, with your magic Diamonds aren't forever)

Like most of the guild Barty watched Andy in quiet awe as she demonstrated her magic.

When she finished he clapped like several others.

"Ahh what are you talking about, Sols just like a stubborn old cat, she only bites if you poke her too much," Barty replied, rubbing his head. Looking at Sol you'd never think she was physically strong but the burning pain after all this time indicated otherwise.

Barty leaned back and tapped the table, "You know, I haven't been on a job in over a month. But now that Sols back she can work the bar without me. And it'd be a good way to see how lava-make works in the field!" He said excitedly.

He smiled as Midori appeared, sitting at the table.

"Ahh you came here at the worst time, no celebration, but Sol came back today and decided to put on an impromptu feast. I don't think theres any food left unfortunately," Barty said shrugging with an apologetic grin on his face.

"And you might not be joining us for long. We were about to go check out the job board," Barty said, his grin turning back to Andy.

(Aha is funny because some people say diamonds are forever! I get joke! Lol I'm just kidding.)

Andromeda smiled at the thought of doing a job with Barty and glanced over at the board, only to turn back when Midori slid into a seat across from her.

"Hey Midori." Andromeda said with a smile. "Um, thanks but it's just a meditation technique. I was nervous and needed to let off steam, I wasn't trying to show off." Andromeda explained.

When asked about what was new Andromeda glanced back towards the bar then leaned forward a little. 

"Well Sol's back but Gabe was wrong, she was just house sitting for her sister." Andromeda said, her voice lowered as though afraid that Sol would hear. "Ezekiel and Tuva nearly went at it earlier. Apparently Ezekiel burned down a forest on a job. Tuva's normally pretty nice, but she was so angry it was scary. I thought for sure they were going to fight which would probably destroy the guild hall if they were fighting for real." Andromeda explained. "And like Barty said we're going to take a job. If he doesn't mind I don't mind if you come too, I bet we can find something that the three of us could do together." Andromeda said, looking at Barty expectantly. 

(( omg haha :' D if only her diamonds lasted forever midori would be rolling in mone ))

"Aw, what a shame," Midori replied to Barty, laughing slightly. "I did guess there was something going on, though, it's unlikely to see the guild in such good spirits. I hope Sol is doing well?" At the mention of the S-class wizard, Midori hummed to herself; Solar Flare was a person she had heard of in passing, true, and the woman certainly lived up to her name. Even so, there was a certain aura of mystery about Sol that intrigued MIdori beyond words, but even so -- the girl's contact with Sol herself had been limited, and she was left forever to wonder instead of coming up with any concrete knowledge of the other woman.

At Andromeda's mention of the earlier dispute, Midori frowned. "Those two ... I really hope everyone was alright. Ezekiel can be ... rash." Her voice showed clearly that she disapproved of Ezekiel's brash methods at getting things done, much preferring a more elegant solution, but who was Midori to judge? She certainly hadn't been there. Tuva herself displayed a sort of classy nature that Midori could appreciate, however, and the girl hummed to herself at this thought. She'd talked with Tuva before over a cup of tea, and certainly hoped the other was doing well, all things considered.

"Ezekiel should really know better," she sighed to herself. "A destroyed forest is so much lost." At Andromeda's suggestion, Midori clapped her hands together, excited.

"That would be wonderful!" she said, getting ahead of herself -- though she was no stranger to taking missions, she always found it delightful in good company; and considering it was Andromeda and Barty offering, she knew the trip would be an adventure to tell tales of. Perhaps she could even find news of her brother along the way. She too turned to Barty, hesitating. "I hope it's not too much trouble if I were to join?" she asked nervously. 

(Oh I hope you weren't waiting on me)

Barty smiled at Midori, "Hey, the more the merrier, you two go pick something out. I'm just gonna double check if I'm good to go" he said.

Barty stood up from the table and walked over to the bar, Sol had emerged and was watching over the hall with her arms crossed. As Barty approached she turned her gaze to him.

"Did you catch any of that?" He asked her.

Sol nodded and replied, "You, Andy and Midori are going to go on a job together".

Barty nodded and smiled at Sol.

"Yup! I haven't tried out lava make on a job yet, and with you back I don't feel pushed to stay working here... plus jobs pay more," Barty said enthusiastically.

Sol nodded in agreement but then leaned forward, placing her hands on the counter.

"Thats very true, and I see no problem with you taking a job..." Sol paused and her voice turned into a whisper, Barty felt a chill run down his spine, "But if I hear that you did anything to those two  girls while you were alone with them..." She didn't have to continue, the blood had drained completely from Barty's face.

"Uh-hhhuh what kind of person do you think I am!?" Barty stammered.

"You're a man, and you're young," Sol replied, her voice returning to normal as she stood up straight again. Even though Barty was taller than her he still found himself looking up at her, as if her very presence was towering over him.

"I'm a gentleman. Lady Fermèt!" Barty exclaimed, standing up straight.

"And I'm a member of Sphinx's Paw! I'd never do such things, they are my friends and my family, just as you are!" He stated, staring solidly back at Sol.

The two stared at one another for what seemed to be an hour to Barty.

Sol finally turned away from him and walked over to serve another patron.

Barty exhaled loudly, and wiped the sweat off his brow, Why is she so intimidating!? He thought.

Compared to the other male members I'm practically a saint! His gaze swept over to the older members, he noted that a few of them kept glancing at Sol herself. Their gaze didn't linger, if Sol caught them they'd be dead Or wish they were, Barty thought.

Stepping quickly behind the counter Barty grabbed his coat and moved over towards the job board.

(A little but it's alright at least to me. Also if either of you want to do a different job then the one I put in my post then just have your character pull down another and we can have them discuss it.)

Andromeda stood up just behind Barty and, after waiting for Midori, wandered over to the job board. There was a large number of various flyers with a huge variety of different jobs on them, some of them boring, most of them dangerous, and some just a big waste of time.

All of them had rewards posted on them ranging from comparatively small amounts to large fortunes. With increased reward came increased risk though and the jobs with the highest pay also were the hardest, meaning that only experienced wizards could even attempt them let alone succeed. 

"Lets see..." Andromeda said idly as she perused through the list of jobs. "A monster up in the mountains, some thieves stole a guys horse, find a daughter who eloped... These are all terrible!" Andromeda said crossly as she continued to tick off different quests, finally stopping at a big flyer with a picture of a blocky entrance to a cave looking thing in the side of a sand dune as well as a map. (Think egyption tomb entrance) 

"Find a lost tomb in the desert and retrieve a family heirloom!" Andromeda said excitedly as she pulled the paper from the board and held upt up to Midori. "That sounds amazing! I bet there's going to be all sorts of different things in there and the reward is 300,000! That's 100,000 each! We should do this!" Andromeda said excitedly, stopping her celebration suddenly when she realized that she hadn't actually given the others much say. "Or at least that's the one I like, what do you think Midori?" 

Edited by nomadicdesert

(I assumed you had an idea so i was waiting for you to pick one)

Barty approached the board and found Andy holding a job.

"Oooh sandy, that where you wanna go Andy?" He asked.

"100 thousand jewel each, its looking pretty tempting," He continued.

Barty glanced at the board, his eyes staring longingly at the S class quests positioned in a separate section of it.

He let out a loud sigh and turned his gaze back to the one Andy was holding.

"My earth-make magic should work pretty well, if the tombs under the sand I should be able to clear it. I'm for this one, what about you Midori?" Barty said, turning to the lavender haired girl.

(Short post, waiting on Lu

If you need something to get you in the writing mood this should do :D )

Edited by Marcus Pheonix

(( sorry for the wait, i'm here now~ and theme music is always 10/10 to do some writing to 0: ))

Midori cast an eye over the various job listings currently on the board as well, humming to herself as she did so. It seemed like the day's work was never done -- but that was the purpose of a guild, wasn't it? To help the people. The lavender-haired girl didn't see any problem with the jobs all currently listed on the board, apart from the fact she hoped each would be completed with delicacy and efficiency. 

Ah, a tomb? Midori made a small face at the idea of trekking through the desert, with all the sand present. Well, if Andromeda and Barty were there, it would be fine -- and it seemed the other two were already on board.

"I'd better not wear my fancy shoes, then," she said, placing her hands on her hips and sighing exaggeratedly, though she smiled afterwards. "That's quite an award. With the three of us, it should be over and done with fairly quickly." She waved a hand in the air, a small twinkling of sparkles following her movements as she faintly stirred the carbon present around her. Faintly, she wondered what sort of family heirloom would be locked away in a desert. 

"Sounds good to me." 

(No way it's all about this song.)

"Awesome!" Andromeda said excitedly as she took the poster off the board. "This'll be great! I've always wanted to go that far south! We'll have to take a train to get to the southern region where we can meet the family, then get some transportation to the location. The family says they've got a way to locate the tomb easily so that'll be easy, then it's just a simple matter of walking in and grabbing their shiny doodad." Andromeda said, already thinking over what she would need for the trip. "We need to leave as soon as possible so let's all meet back here in an hour with our stuff. I'll grab us train tickets too so don't worry about that. Just make sure you bring everything you need for the desert." Andromeda said as she pointed to a sign on the wall. 

The guild had long ago put up a series of posters detailing what kind of things to bring for the different environments of the world. One of the longest lists was the desert one, with a long line of different things that were required, then an even longer line of things that were recommended. 
Andromeda had long ago made copies of the lists and kept her room well organised, so it wouldn't be hard to get everything together. 

"Come on this will be awesome Midori! When we get done we can stop by the ocean and work on our tans! You, me, bathing suits and a towel! I'm sure Barty can find some ladies there too!" Andromeda said, practically skipping with excitement as she bounced off towards the barracks to pack her bag, leaving her two teammates at the board. 

(Natsu's theme and dragonforce are where it's at for battle music but you can't beat the classic theme for chilling at the guild)

Barty smiled at the excited look on Andy's face.

The smile dropped as she mentioned going by the ocean and Barty felt the cold glare of Sol on the back of his neck. He looked back at her but she was conversing with one of the other guild members.

"Yeah... that'd be fun," Barty said slowly, turning back around.

He looked down at his clothes, they definitely weren't suited for a trip to the desert.

"Well girls, see you in an hour. Pack light, pack smart and bring plenty of water. I'll arrange some ingredients with Sol for the trip, in case we have to camp out, though I'll need to borrow this" Barty said, quickly snatching the job flyer from Andys hands.

"She shouldn't need it too long, see you soon!" He called out.

He walked back over to the bar and briefly conversed with Sol.

"If you can just get some ingredients for simple meals ready in an hour that'd be great. We shouldn't need too much," He concluded.

Sol nodded and took the flyer from him, examining it.

"Hmm, this shouldn't be too hard. Make sure to pack plenty of water, and a hat," She stated. Barty detected a hint of concern in her voice.

Barty chuckled, "No need to worry this isn't our first caper. And i've got a hat lying around I can use. I'd be more concerned about the girls".

Barty left the guild hall and made his way back home, having a shower he changed into his new clothes, opting for a light weight, red flowery long sleeved shirt, a pair of boots and changing his pants to those more suited to the outdoors. He filled his bag with a spare set of clothes, his umbrella, a bottle of water and a large chunk of ice, held in an ice cream container.

The last thing he put in his bag were his swimming shorts, sunscreen and a thin white piece of fabric to use as a hood should he need further protection from the sun.

Barty checked his watch, "Wow that took longer than I expected, need to be getting back there!"

He grabbed a cap and sunglasses, hoisted his bag on his shoulder and left the attic, leaving a note for the landlord on his way out.

Andromeda bounced happily off to her room and began to pack her bag with the various things she would need, making sure to follow the list as well as adding a couple of other things.

Her backpack secured Andromeda got dressed and put her fathers satchel over her shoulder, then ran out of the room and off down to the train station. It was lucky timing for the small team since the next train left in half an hour, giving them all plenty of time to get ready. 

With everything all set set and the tickets in the satchel Andromeda ran back to the guild hall, bursting in and taking up a 'heroic' pose for Barty and Midori, with one foot up on a bench, head held high, and a finger pointed across the guild hall. (Think the captain Morgan pose except she's pointing into the distance.) 

"We have..." Andromeda started only to pause mid sentence to check the clock quickly. "We have 20 minutes to wait fellow adventurers!" She practically yelled at the guild hall, drawing not a few stares. "It will be an epic quest fraught with danger and monsters, but we will persevere and fulfill our goal!"   

The pose, combined with her clothing and loud voice were getting more then a few laughs from everyone and quite a few guild mates cheered and wished the group luck from their seats. Andromeda laughed as well and sat down across from her team with a smile. "So I'm ready to go and the train leaves soon. You guys ready?"

Edited by nomadicdesert

Midori laughed at the other's antics, excited by the idea of taking a small detour to work on her tans -- well, that would be worth all the sand that would for sure crawl into every aspect of her being somehow. When the group split, she returned to the little apartment she -- or rather, her parents -- had rented in order to stay closer to the guild, and began packing. She looked around for a bit, fretting over the status of her plants -- it would be fine, right? Her landlord wouldn't forget to water them while she was away? -- and adjusting the various trinkets from friends and past missions hung up around her mirror, before she grabbed a small bag and set out.

She arrived at the guild hall with time to spare, her satchel loosely tossed over her shoulder. She took a spare moment to glance up at the sky -- ah, it seemed things were in order, it was a lovely day after all. She fixed the brim of her large sunhat, her hair tied loosely back with a clip. Apart from the hat, she'd dressed in a romper with knee-high boots, a silk cardigan thrown over her shoulders. Being a long-range fighter usually meant she didn't have to worry too much about destroying her clothes in battle.

She'd arrived at the guild hall and sighted Barty, giving a quick wave and heading over. However, before she could reach where he was, Andromeda burst through the door, spotting a pose on a nearby bench. Midori laughed at the other girl's antics, her eyes full of fondness for how cheerful and ever-bright the girl was. 

"All ready, captain," she said jokingly, "the monsters won't stand a chance. Unless we miss our train, of course!" 

Barty burst through the guild entrance and hunched over his hands on his knees.

"Gah, I'm sorry I'm so late (so meta)"! He exclaimed, looking up to see Midori and Andy both waiting.

Still breathing loudly Barty walked to the counter

"Sol have you got the-" he was cut off as a bag was thrust into his face from the sour bartender.

Barty opened it and looked inside,

"A recipe book... really?" He asked sarcastically, Sol just stared back at him without saying anything.

Barty sighed and closed the bag, tying it to his backpack. He walked back over to the girls.

"All right, lets head for the station!"

Andromeda laughed along with Midori then turned when Barty entered the room and walked over to Sol. She didn't know what was in the bag that Sol gave Barty, but figured it was something to help with the journey. Instead of asking she just stood up and met Barty halfway before turning and waiting for Midori..

"Righty oh, let's go!" Andromeda said excitedly as she pointed towards the door and began to do her excited walking, which consisted of a combination of bouncing, skipping, and walking. Somehow Andromeda even managed to skip and bounce backwards as she turned to look at her two teammates when they exited the hall.

"Cmon guys, time to go have an adventure!" She said, pulling her backpack into a more comfortable position before marching off.

The train station was far enough away that the group only just made it in time to catch the train, but they still boarded without any hassle and found some seats in a private compartment. Andromeda put her backpack onto a luggage rack above the seats, then flopped onto one of the bench seats. This was her least favorite part of any job. Getting anywhere took a long time because of the guild's location and going so far south was at least a six hour ride including the stops the train had to make.

"Ugh..." Andromeda complained from her position on the seat, her long red hair hanging down to pool below her head. "This is so booooooorrrrring." She whined. "Can't they make trains that go faster?" 

She stayed like this for awhile, then suddenly perked up and rolled off of the seat only to dig into her satchel which had been sitting next to her on the seat. "I forgot about this! I got it on a job a while ago and haven't used it since." She said as she moved things around, only to pull out a large box a few seconds later. 

"Board games!" Andromeda said excitedly. "Cmon guys play with me, it will be fun..." She said, holding up a popular board game that was, or had been played by almost everyone in existence. "This one uses a lacrima to make magic effects, pretty please?" She asked, putting on a cute pout and puppy dog eyes.

Edited by nomadicdesert

A six hour ride? As soon as they boarded the train, Midori busied herself with crafting shapes out of her crystal. She had been seeking to advance her magic lately, and that came in the form of better control over her powers. The train ride was relatively smooth, the faint chatter of other patrons acting as background music for the three guild members currently warming in a private compartment.

At Andromeda's voice, Midori looked up, white crystals on her fingertips. "It happens," she said sympathetically. "We'll be there soon -- then we can start adventuring!"

She stared curiously at the board Andromeda presented, her crystals disappearing with a slight pop! as she leant forward, curling a strand of lavender hair around her finger. "What's this, Addy?" 

A board game? Midori blinked at the item for a few seconds. Ah, that's right -- the last time she had played a game like this had been in the comfort of her parents' mansion, with both her brothers by her side. The memory brought a tearful, yet welcoming warm feeling into her chest, and Midori smiled lightly, adjusting her position.

"Sure!" she clapped her hands together. "Let's set it up, then." 

(Sorry for the delay, had a busy day)

As they sat down on the train Barty opened up the bag Sol had given to him and began examining the different supplies they'd been given, while comparing them to the ingredients section in the r ecipe book he'd also been provided.

"Well assuming I can prepare everything correctly and divide it accordingly this should provide us for at least a week away from civilization" Barty mumbled to himself.

He noticed a small note folded in the margin of the book and pulled it out.

Try put your new ability to good use

It said. Barty looked at the page where he'd found it; Flame Grilled. There were several pictures of overly large animals on spits above fires.

"Earth make, furnace!" Barty said loudly, and a small oven of stone appeared in the middle of their train compartment. Unlike the previous one however this one had a glass lid on the top and a skewer and crank embedded in the side.

"Hey you two get the game set up, I'm gonna see if I can use this to make us lunch," Barty said excitedly to his companions.

He unwrapped some meat, that had been stored next to a freezing lacryma and carefully skewered it on the spit. Placing it inside the furnace, he examined it through the lid, seeing the dull glow of the heated rock at the bottom, and began to turn the crank.

Andromeda smiled wide and sat cross legged on the floor, then began to set up the board game. It didn't take long to set up due to it not having a lot of parts, but it was still strategic enough that anyone could play and have fun.

When the board had been set up Andromeda lifted a small lacrima from the box and set it into a little slot at the center of the board. 

Magical light spread across the board, and illusions appeared over the little wooden figures, making them look like they were moving. Some of the squares lit up as well and different sounds and more illusions came from them as well. 

"Isn't this thing awesome?" Andromeda asked excitedly. "Like I said I found it during a job a little while ago and they let me keep it as part of the reward. The old lacrima was drained so I had to get a new one." She explained.

When Barty made another furnace though Andromeda frowned a little and glanced around. "Hey um, Barty? I think the people who own the train might not appreciate you making a furnace in the middle of their train. Also we have to buy more food now." She said. "Oh well, just make sure you don't overcook it, I hate burnt meat." 

Barty gave a playful shrug.

"It's fine, I've doubled the stone, and halved the lava, it'd take at least three hours for the lava to melt through that much rock and I can just stop it before that happens," Barty said merrily.

He turned and looked admiringly at the boardgame.

"And besides, that seems more distracting then my little furnace, ah I can't get distracted... gotta keep on turning," barty trailed off, as he turned back to the furnace and kept turning the crank, eyeing the meat inside.

"According to this recipe, it should take an hour of this before the meats cooked, assuming I got the temperature right... I can't really adjust the temperature of lava so I just had to put more rock between it and the meat," He explained.

He turned back to the girls, "Alright, how do we play! I hope it'll get us through till we arrive".

(We can skip the rest of the trip unless you guys want to have something specific happen. If not then I'll write a post about where they arrive. Just post what you want and I'll change this to reflect that.)

(I'm alright with skipping, if you're gonna summarise maybe Barty lets the meat cook a bit too long but eats it anyway, insiting that "it's good" while crying inside)

(So the picture I picked for Taraq is gloomy looking but in reality the city is very nice looking and doesn't look like death's taken up residence. There are fields for crops around and it's right on the edge of the ocean which partially flows into the city.)

The trip passed a bit more quickly after the group got the board game going, although that didn't change the fact that one could only play the same game so many times. In all it took about two hours off of the ride, which at least eased the boredom a little. 
When Barty served the food even Andromeda thought that it looked good, but when she took a bite it was like chewing on a rock. It was so dry that there was no taste at all and she almost choked when she swallowed.

"It's... It's good." Andromeda coughed, taking a swig of water and coughing again. "Maybe don't leave it on as long next time." She suggested, taking a smaller bite and immediately washing it down with more water. She knew that Barty had done his best and didn't want to hurt his feelings, but in all honestly it was terrible. 

Still Andromeda managed to choke all of the food down and drank yet more water to get rid of the sandy feeling in her throat.

When the train finally arrived at the group's destination, a town called Taraq, they were greeted first by a blast of hot air when the door opened, then by the sound of hundreds of people waiting on the platform. The group was swept out of the train by the passengers behind them, so when they finally fought their way free of the crowd and out of the train station, they found themselves standing in the center of the city next to a large body of water, around which a bazaar had been built.

Hundreds of people were moving around in the bazaar, buying and selling things from merchants everywhere. People were yelling, children were laughing, and there was even music being played somewhere nearby. Tents were everywhere and awnings provided shade from the sun that was heading towards the horizon. Not a few tents had special lacrima or even spells cast on them that provided cool air within for both the owners and the customers.

"Wow!" Andromeda said excitedly, her head twisting this way and that in order to look at everything. "I've never seen anything like this! I wonder if they use special kinds of magic here! I bet their fire wizards are amazing with all this heat!" Andromeda said as she bounced on the balls of her feet. 
Andromeda continued like this for a few more moments, then stopped and shook her head. "Right I forgot." She said, turning and digging into her satchel to retrieve the job posting. "Let's see, we're supposed to go to the Perona estate which is in the west part of the city." She said, pointing in the correct direction.

(Lu contacted me and told me that she is busy with school at the moment so she will be withdrawing from the RP for the moment. It sucks but that's how it is I guess. Feel free to respond."

(What are we gonna do concerning Midori? Just temporarily NPC-ify her?)

Like Andromeda, Barty stared up in amazement at the city, he'd never seen anything quite like it.

"This place is very impressive... they probably have a lot of spices that can't be grown in temperate climates, I'm sure Sol would be grateful if we picked some up," Barty said leaning towards the bazaar. He was glad he'd changed his usual clothes for lighter ones, even with the cooling lacrimas the immense heat meant they didn't have much effect 2 or 3 meters away from them, enough to just fill the individual stands and their immediate patrons.

"Also I'm pretty sure if you were raised here you'd be more likely to specialise in water or ice magic, who wants more heat?" Barty replied, casually fanning himself with his hand.

"I hope this job doesn't take too long, I'd love to look around this city when we're done, more lightweight shirts like this would be great!" Barty exclaimed excitedly.

He then began moving in the direction Andy had indicated, one hand clutching his bag, his eyes wandering around.

(I myself am quite busy with uni work at the moment, hence all the small posts)