TJ09

Event Dragons in other Breeding Groups

It comes up every so often that people want to submit a drake or two-headed dragon or another pygmy for one of the events. I'm curious what people think about the idea. We already have some precedent for it, but that doesn't necessarily mean people want more.

Personally, I guess I wouldn't mind much, and I'm wondering what kind of concepts people would submit.

The only thing I don't see matching up would be a Drake as a "Holiday Dragon" XD

I would vote yes. As long as it fits with the event, why not?

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Personally, I guess I wouldn't mind much, and I'm wondering what kind of concepts people would submit.

The only thing I don't see matching up would be a Drake as a "Holiday Dragon" XD

Why is that?  

And I would not mind either.  It could be interesting, and of course we would then need them all   Because different people want different things.

Now that we have more breeds in those breeding groups, I wouldn't mind it and might even love it.

I could imagine a two-headed Halloween dragon would be cool.  :)

And a Holiday dragon with which I don't want to make twenty different lineages would have its advantages. There's so much to do already and so little time and never enough scroll space.  :lol:

7 minutes ago, ainisarie said:

Why is that?  

Because Drakes are not Dragons, narratively.

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Because Drakes are not Dragons, narratively.

True,  so it would have to be a holiday drake

I wouldn't mind it! Pumpkin Pygmies are already cool, and I would love to see a two-headed holiday dragon since there's quite a lot of them around already.

I think it would be neat to have holiday pygmies, drakes, or two-headeds. I don't really do much when it comes to holiday dragons for lineage projects anyways, so lineage-wise wouldn't affect me very much. I wouldn't say no to the idea, that's for sure ^_^

I guess I like the idea, the only problem I'd have with it is that holiday dragons are often really pretty, so it'd be a shame not being able to breed them with my favorite dragons. Of course that can be fixed by removing special breeding groups but I guess we're not allowed to suggest that

But yeah, it would be fun to have something to make drake, two-headed and pygmy breeding more interesting :) I'm always up for more of those regardless of occasion.

I would love a two-headed especially, since we already have a pygmy and I feel like I have to agree with Ruby Eyes, that a drake is not a dragon. I would love to see a holiday drake, though. If nothing else, it would give those groups another reason for people to want to collect more of them.

Edited by silver_tiger
redundancy

I wouldn't mind at all. Actually, I'm really interested in what people would come up with for holiday two-headeds, pygmies, and drakes. It'd help expand the lineage possibilities of these groups, too. Go for it!

Definitely not a bad idea, people can be creative for sure. Would improve lineage possibilites, really cool

I think variety is a good thing and may encourage me to use pygmy and two-heads more often.  I really like the idea of a two-head Halloween dragon. 

Edited by sara4cows
typo

Variety is nice. Right now, there really aren't a whole lot of two-headeds, drakes, and pygmies to work with, so this would be a great way to expand the breeding pools. I also agree that a two-headed Halloween dragon would be amazing.

I'd rather have no pygmy/two-headed/drake dragons as holidays, simply because I'm not a fan of these breeding groups themselves, I couldn't breed them with my favorite dragons. I'm all for expanding those breeding groups if they can't be removed,  but I prefer Holidays to be reserved for mostly normal dragons. Since they're already limited dragons, limiting their breeding options even further via breeding groups isn't a particularly attractive option to me. I could live with them being introduced, however, if it's what most of the user-base wants.

Mostly neutral, least in favor of pygmies unless they followed the Pumpkin example of having full sized sprites. I would be a little worried about the pygmy size limiting the amount of detail, which is okay for normal releases but might be disappointing for these special events. That said it's also totally possible that the artists could find their way around it and have a normal pygmy holiday sprite.

I'd personally prefer to have a larger breeding pool of normal 2-headeds/pygmies/drakes before we see holidays introduced.

Edit: If the art and concept are on par with other holidays, then the dragon being non-standard should not be the only reason they are not released, IMO.

Edited by Dew

I don't mind, but I'm more in favor of "non-standard" breeds being submitted for Halloween so that there's more to work with in terms of breeding options--more than one gender and being able to collect more than two sprites. 

andromedae pretty much summed up my feelings on the issue.

I'm definitely not a fan of the idea.

2 hours ago, Dew said:

Mostly neutral, least in favor of pygmies unless they followed the Pumpkin example of having full sized sprites. I would be a little worried about the pygmy size limiting the amount of detail, which is okay for normal releases but might be disappointing for these special events. That said it's also totally possible that the artists could find their way around it and have a normal pygmy holiday sprite.

You do have a point yeah. That being said I'd love more holidays from the other breeding groups and love the idea of a Halloween two headed.

I would really like to see a drake and two-head event dragon however there a very limited options right now to those breeding groups. If more were released before hand in both groups as well as the pygmies, then this has my support but for now, I'm neutral

The pygmy collecting side of me is saying "Heck yeah, I'm always up for new side group dragons."

The logical side of me is saying "But wait, some people already really dislike normal P2D releases."

I really would like to see at least one holiday for each breeding group eventually. I think it would help establish them better, and maybe get some new ideas going for normal release submissions. I've seen a bit of talk regarding Halloween and Valentine's two-headeds, and I can see both working fairly easily. Two-headeds could probably use a bit more variety in normal releases before getting a holiday, though. Drakes are more difficult given their limitations, but they have a nice variety so far in normal releases, and I'm sure someone could come up with something workable.

As for the people who don't like P2Ds, the releases would give them a safe year to play around with the standard breeding group dragons that we already have. I know that I've looked back at certain holidays and realized that I really liked some other pairings, but didn't have the space to grab them without dropping other plans. There would also be a year's worth of normal releases to mix in with the older holidays. I know it's not quite the same, but it's not a complete loss.

Edit:

Quoting myself from chat.

"I wonder if it might be worth bringing up an idea I mentioned in another thread a few months while ago... release one standard holiday and one side group holiday at the same time. Maybe not for Halloween, but for Holidays and Valentine's it could work with the three day drop."

Edited by 11th

I think its a great idea...2 headed Halloween would be pretty cool...and more pygmies-yes please!

This topic has been talked about a lot through the years, and the majority of the opposition I've seen is because these side-groups have less breeds, and therefore the breeding/lineage options are limited. However, in the past few years we've gotten more of all the side-groups, especially pygmies, so those options have expanded. I personally would love a non-standard holiday release, and I always have wanted that. I seem to be favoring pygmies recently, but I could totally see the potential for a really awesome Halloween two-head.