Cinnamin Draconna

ANSWERED:Regarding animated avatars and sig images

Is there any way to turn them off? I do not want them to be disallowed, and I do not want to turn off all avs/sigs, I just want to lose the animations.

1. I find the motion annoying to the point of nauseating on some of them

2. Some of them cause headaches, which could cause epileptic seizures

3. Some of them are so obscure that they make no sense to me

4. Some of them are such small animations.. 2 - 3 frames small.. that what was the point of animating them in the first place? They repeat so fast that it's impossible to make sense of them.

Could you please add a setting that will show/not show animations?

I'm with you on that, Cinn! I hate to have to turn off sigs, but some of the large animations really bother me. And I am not into the anime or whatever they come from, so don't understand them anyway. I don't know if it is possible to do what you are asking or not, but if it is I would certainly use that setting.

If a solution is not possible in the forum software (which I don't know), maybe Adblock Plus can help. I'm using it to block these big "upgrade hosting!" images in signatures that Photobucket (I think?) shows instead of the actual image. And pictures of spiders or other things I don't want to see.

Unfortunately you'd have to right-click and select to block every single image you want to hide, but that also makes sure you don't miss something you would have wanted to see.

AdBlock Plus is what I've been using, but it doesn't work if the images are on a randomizer. And some of them must be using something else as well, because no matter what I do, they still show up.. much like TJ's 'subscription ads', I'd like to turn those off too, but the only way is to turn off ALL DC images and that includes all the egg/hatchling/dragon sprites.

So while I know TJ isn't going to fix it where I can turn off his 'subscription ads'... I do ask that player animated images have a setting to turn OFF. It's either that or I start campaigning to remove ALL animated images from DC, or find a limit of some kind that reduces their impact.

I've personally never used it, but try "Stylish", there are probably codes/html that turn off animations and you can customize it for each website, so, lets say, you want to be able to see animation on Deviantart, but not here, you can use it.

You can stop them from playing or looping by using extensions or changing settings, depending on which browser you use. Here are the results of a quick search:

-Chrome: "Animation Policy" by Google Accessibility

-Firefox: "ESCape From Them GIFs" by pulpe020

-IE: Gear icon -> Internet options -> Advanced -> Uncheck "Play animations in webpages*"

Edited by 11th
Typo.

AWESOME !

Thanks TJ - now I only have to "hide" the extraordinarily nasty ones !