The_Impossible_Girl

250 Book Challenge 2017-2018

~* The 250 Book Challenge *~

This thread is my attempt at reviving the 250 book challenge of previous years. As it says in the title the goal is to read 250 books in one year. I'm trying to keep this thread as close to the original challenge as possible, so I've kept many of the same rules.

The Rules:

1. You have between July 20th 2017 (00:00am GMT), and July 19st 2018 (at 11:59pm GMT) to read 250 books. There are smaller milestones for those of us who can't/won't reach the 250 mark, and to help participants feel like they're getting somewhere.

2. You can join at any time during the year, but you still only have until July 19th 2018 to reach the target! You can start straight away, I'll add you as soon as possible, if you've been left off the list or your username is misspelled, feel free to shoot me a PM or say so in the thread.

3. Books that you've read and finished before your join date do not count, even if you join after July 20th. (E.g. you join on 3rd Sept - you can only count books from 3rd September onwards).

4. Reply to this thread once you've finished a book with the form below. You can, if you like, give a short review and/or a rating, but please don't reveal spoilers as others may not have read it.

5. If you've just started a book, or are half way through one when you begin the challenge, then that will count towards your total.

6. The only books that do not count are textbooks, or books with less than 100 pages. So you can read children books (provided they meet the 100 page mark), young adult, biographies, reference books (i.e. Identifying Birds of Europe), etc. Any genre is accepted. Manga/comic books are only accepted if they're at least 200 pages or more on thier own. Online unpublished fiction (not fanfiction) is allowed if it has 20,000 words or more (please post the link to the story and the number of words, however if the story could be considered unsuitable for minors pm the link to me).

7. Re-reads count, though I would prefer it if you label them as such (just for the records). Each time you re-read a book it counts as a point.

8. Participants are listed below, with their current book count next to their usernames.

9. There is no ways to prove or disprove you’ve read the books you say you have, so please, I ask that you be honest. I will, however usually check the page length of books.

10. Get reading and have fun!

11. You must post a summary of the book you read in less than 100 words but more than 10 words.

[b]Book Number:[/b]
[b]Number Of Pages:[/b]
[b]Book Title:[/b]
[b]Author:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Rating:[/b] (optional)
[b]Review:[/b] (optional)

Example:

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages:500

Book Title: Go Dog Go!

Author: P.D. Eastman

Summary: This book entails a story of a dog that runs, the dog is the main character of this story and the author expresses how the dogs feels beautiful. (Never read this book before in my life; but you catch my drift)

Rating: 5/5

Review: --

Here is a banner for the competition, feel free to use it to advertise the challenge.

user posted image Made by nepenthe.catharsis.

[URL=https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/179843-250-book-challenge-2017-2018/][IMG=http://i31.tinypic.com/2w6i25w.gif][/URL]

Many people got busy over the duration of the challenge, so to help new budding readers when you reach one of our milestones they will be a graphic given to you marking your commitment.

Milestones

FAQ

Q: My name/full book number is not on the list.

A: Everything after an update won't be on the list until the next update. However, if there has been an update and you notice something is still missing, either repost or PM the project account.

Q: Can I post books even though I'm not on the list yet?

A: If you posted a sign up post, you can start counting books as soon as you finish them.

Q: Can I count comic books when they have less than 500 pages but are part of a series?

A: In this case, if you can reach 500 pages by adding several books of the same series, it will count. Example of what you can post as the title: The Walking Dead vol. 1-4.

Q: What counts as a re-read?

A: Any book that you've read more than once during the challenge.

Edited by w5aw5

Participants and Book Totals

catstaff: 150

Beldarius: 1

Kaerlighed: 0

kittyrules2003: 0

Lagie: 0

Little-Star: 5

OutlawQueen: 74

w5aw5: 6

Edited by The_Impossible_Girl

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 358

Book Title: As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust

Author: Alan  Bradley

Summary: As Chimney Sweepers Come to Dust is one of the books in the Flavia de Luce mystery novels. In this book Flavia is sent to boarding school, where she solves a mystery.

Rating: (optional)

Review: (optional)

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 201

Book Title: The Beauty and The Beast

Author: Gabrielle-Suzanne Barbot De Villeneuve

Summary: This is the earliest recorded version of the beauty and the beast story.

Review: (optional)

Edited by w5aw5

The book challenge is back! I'm in again!

Book Number:

Number Of Pages: 375

Book Title: Love In Arms

Author: Richelle LaFleur

Summary: *contains adult material* Searching for her missing-in-action brother, Narra made the desperate choice to disguise herself as a man and join the army of Mennetis in hopes of finding some answers. Assigned to the scouts, she tried to ignore her attraction to her duty partner. Karsin, a seasoned veteran, was growing increasingly concerned by the more recent orders coming through; especially since the invading forces of Eriden seemed to know where to find the defenders. When physical contact during a skirmish revealed his new partner to be a woman, Karsin's first thought was to have her sent home. But when he heard Narra's story and realized her brother was one of the early victims of the questionable orders, he agreed to keep her identity a secret and help her in her quest. But their growing closeness brought them an enemy more persistent than any Erideni soldier; an enemy that continued to harass them as they worked to build a new life together after the war.

Number Of Pages: 208
Book Title: The Middle of Everywhere
Author: Monique Polak
Summary: (Soured from Goodreads) Noah Thorpe is spending the school term in George River, in Quebec's Far North, where his dad is an English teacher in the Inuit community. Noah's not too keen about living in the middle of nowhere, but getting away from Montreal has one big advantage: he gets a break from the bully at his old school.
But Noah learns that problems have a way of following you--no matter how far you travel. To the Inuit kids, Noah is a qallunaaq--a southerner, someone ignorant of the customs of the North. Noah thinks the Inuit have a strange way of looking at the world, plus they eat raw meat and seal blubber. Most have never left George River--a town that doesn't even have its own doctor, let alone a McDonald's. But Noah's views change when he goes winter camping and realizes he will have to learn a few lessons from his Inuit buddies if he wants to make it home.

Edited by OutlawQueen

OMG it's back, I want to participate again... even if I never reach the target

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 314

Book Title: Nineteen Eighty-four

Author: George Orwell

Summary: (From Goodreads) Winston Smith is a low-rung member of the Party, the ruling government of Oceania. He works in the Ministry of Truth, the Party's propoganda arm, where he is in charge of revising history. He is but a small brick in the pyramid that is the Party, at the head of which stands Big Brother. Big Brother the infallible. Big Brother the all-powerful. In a totalitarian society, where individuality is suppressed and freedom of thought has its antithesis in the Thought Police, Winston finds respite in the company of Julia. Originality of thought awakens, love bloosoms and hope is rekindled. But what they don't know is that Big Brother is always watching...

Rating: 4.5/5

Edited by OutlawQueen

I totally forgot to keep this updated :/ Been doing a lot of reading for school and also just for fun!

Book Number: 3

Number Of Pages: 323

Book Title: The Last of the High Kings (The New Policeman #2)

Author: Kate Thompson

Summary: (from goodreads) Traveling to the land of eternal youth was the only way J.J. Liddy could stop time from leaking from his world to T'ir na n'Og. But fifteen years after returning from the land of the faeries, J.J. wonders if that long-ago visit is responsible for the strange things now happening to those around him.
Why does his daughter Jenny roam barefoot through the wilds, when she should be in school? When did the mysterious white goat begin to patrol the hillside? What is the secret project that J.J.'s son Donal is attempting? And who is the ghost guarding the stone beacon at the top of the mountain--and why has Jenny befriended him?
Finding answers to these questions will take J.J. and his family on the most important and dangerous journey of their lives. If they fail, it will undo all the good that J.J. accomplished fifteen years ago. But if they succeed, they will defeat the forces that are gathering to destroy all of mankind, and finally secure the future of the last of the high kings.

Rating: 2.5/5

Book Number: 4

Number Of Pages: 112

Book Title: Newfangled Fairy Tales Book 2 (Newfangled Fairy Tales #2)

Author: Multiple

Summary: (from goodreads) 

This collection of ten contemporary fairy tales--the second in the critically acclaimed series--puts a delightful new spin on classic stories and themes. Michelle Koszlowski desparately wantes to be a princess until her wish comes true and she discovers what a pain royal life can be. The Little Tailor brags to everyone about his bravery until a giant comes along and teaches him a lesson. Rapunzel is held captive in a high-rise apartment by an urban witch who owns a pizza parlor. A postmodern wolf refuses to eat the bratty Little Red Riding Hood and her sickly grandmother. Hansel is so obsessed with candy that he steals Gretel's piggy bank and runs off to the Old Witch's Candy Factory.
Rating: 3.5/5

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 399

Book Title: The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials #1)

Author: Phillip Pullman

Summary: (from goodreads) Lyra Belacqua is content to run wild among the scholars of Jodan College, with her daemon familiar always by her side. But the arrival of her fearsome uncle, Lord Asriel, draws her to the heart of a terrible struggle—a struggle born of Gobblers and stolen children, witch clans and armored bears. And as she hurtles toward danger in the cold far North, Lyra never suspects the shocking truth: she alone is destined to win, or to lose, this more-than-mortal battle. 

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 393

Book Title: After You (Me Before You #2)

Author: Jojo Moyes

Summary: (from goodreads) How do you move on after losing the person you loved? How do you build a life worth living? 
Louisa Clark is no longer just an ordinary girl living an ordinary life. After the transformative six months spent with Will Traynor, she is struggling without him. When an extraordinary accident forces Lou to return home to her family, she can t help but feel she s right back where she started. 
Her body heals, but Lou herself knows that she needs to be kick-started back to life. Which is how she ends up in a church basement with the members of the Moving On support group, who share insights, laughter, frustrations, and terrible cookies. They will also lead her to the strong, capable Sam Fielding the paramedic, whose business is life and death, and the one man who might be able to understand her. Then a figure from Will s past appears and hijacks all her plans, propelling her into a very different future. . . . 
For Lou Clark, life after Will Traynor means learning to fall in love again, with all the risks that brings. But here Jojo Moyes gives us two families, as real as our own, whose joys and sorrows will touch you deeply, and where both changes and surprises await.

Rating: 4/5

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: The Assassin King (Symphony of Ages #6) (War of the Known World #1)

Author: Elizabeth Haydon

Summary: (from Goodreads) The Assassin King opens at winter's end with the arrival by sea of a mysterious hunter, a man of ancient race and purpose, who endlessly chants the names of the pantheon of demons that are his intended victims, as well as one other: Ysk, the original name of the Brother, now known as Achmed, the Assassin King of Ylorc. 
At the same moment of this portentous arrival, two gatherings of great import are taking place. The first is a convocation of dragons, who gather in a primeval forest glade--the site of the horrific ending of Llauron, one of the last of their kind. They mourn not only his irrevocable death, but the loss of the lore and control over the Earth itself that it represents. The ancient wyrms are terrified for what will come as a result of this loss.
The second gathering is a council of war held in the depths of the keep of Haguefort: Ashe and Rhapsody, rulers of the alliance that protects the Middle Continent; Gwydion, the new Duke of Navarne; Anborn, the Lord Marshall; Achmed, the King of Ylorc, and Grunthor, his Sergeant-Major. Each brings news that form the pieces of a great puzzle. And as each piece is added it becomes quite clear: War is coming, the likes of which the world has never known. 

Rating: 4.75/5

(Just realized how diverse I can be as a reader). I want to reach that target :)

Are the graphics still available by any chance? I'd love to advertise in my signature with the milestone ones.

EDIT:

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 464

Book Title: Jane, Unlimited

Author: Kristin Cashore

Summary: (from Goodreads) 

If you could change your story, would you?
Jane has lived a mostly ordinary life, raised by her recently deceased aunt Magnolia, whom she counted on to turn life into an adventure. Without Aunt Magnolia, Jane is directionless. Then an old acquaintance, the glamorous and capricious Kiran Thrash, blows back into Jane’s life and invites her to a gala at the Thrashes’ extravagant island mansion called Tu Reviens. Jane remembers her aunt telling her: “If anyone ever invites you to Tu Reviens, promise me that you’ll go.”
What Jane doesn’t know is that at Tu Reviens her story will change; the house will offer her five choices that could ultimately determine the course of her untethered life. But every choice comes with a price. She might fall in love, she might lose her life, she might come face-to-face with herself. At Tu Reviens, anything is possible

Rating: 10/5 this was awesome

Book Number: 9
Number Of Pages: This PDF we used at school say 412, but I think it's actually 208
Book Title: The Time Keeper
Author: Mitch Albom
Summary: (From Goodreads) 

The inventor of the world's first clock is punished for trying to measure God's greatest gift. He is banished to a cave for centuries and forced to listen to the voices of all who come after him seeking more days, more years. Eventually, with his soul nearly broken, Father Time is granted his freedom, along with a magical hourglass and a mission: a chance to redeem himself by teaching two earthly people the true meaning of time.
He returns to our world--now dominated by the hour-counting he so innocently began--and commences a journey with two unlikely partners: one a teenage girl who is about to give up on life, the other a wealthy old businessman who wants to live forever. To save himself, he must save them both. And stop the world to do so.

Book Number: 10
Number Of Pages: 416
Book Title: The Diabolic (The Diabolic #1)
Author: S. J. Kincaid

A Diabolic is ruthless. A Diabolic is powerful. A Diabolic has a single task: Kill in order to protect the person you’ve been created for. Nothing else.

For Nemesis, that person is Sidonia, heir to the galactic Senate. The two grew up side by side, and there’s no one Nemesis wouldn’t kill to keep her safe. But when the power-mad Emperor summons Sidonia to the Imperial Court as a hostage, there is only one way for Nemesis to protect Sidonia.

She must become her.

Now one of the galaxy’s most dangerous weapons is masquerading in a world of corrupt politicians and two-faced Senators’ children, and Nemesis must find within herself the one thing she’s been told she doesn’t have—humanity. With the Empire beginning to fracture and rebellion looming, that could be the one thing that saves her and the Empire itself.
Rating: 4.5/5

Edited by OutlawQueen

Number Of Pages:  608

Book Title:  Harry Potter and the Half-blood Prince

Author: J.K. Rowling

Summary: Harry and his friends try to find what Draco Malfoy is up to, as they are certain he is acting upon Voldemort's orders. Meanwhile Dumbledore and Harry try to find more about how to defeat the dark lord.

Book Number: 11
Number Of Pages: 223
Book Title: Persuasion
Author: Jane Austin

Written at the end of the Napoleonic Wars, Persuasion is a tale of love, heartache and the determination of one woman as she strives to reignite a lost love. Anne Elliot is persuaded by her friends and family to reject a marriage proposal from Captain Wentworth because he lacks in fortune and rank. More than seven years later, when he returns home from the Navy, Anne realises she still has strong feelings for him, but Wentworth only appears to have eyes for a friend of Anne’s. Moving, tender, but intrinsically ‘Austen’ in style, with its satirical portrayal of the vanity of society in eighteenth-century England, Persuasion celebrates enduring love and hope. 
Rating: 3/5

Book Number: 12
Number Of Pages: 342
Book Title: Percy Jackson's Greek Gods
Author: Rick Riorden
Summary: (From Goodreads)

A publisher in New York asked me to write down what I know about the Greek gods, and I was like, Can we do this anonymously? Because I don't need the Olympians mad at me again. But if it helps you to know your Greek gods, and survive an encounter with them if they ever show up in your face, then I guess writing all this down will be my good deed for the week. 
So begins Percy Jackson's Greek Gods, in which the son of Poseidon adds his own magic--and sarcastic asides--to the classics. He explains how the world was created, then gives readers his personal take on a who's who of ancients, from Apollo to Zeus. Percy does not hold back. "If you like horror shows, blood baths, lying, stealing, backstabbing, and cannibalism, then read on, because it definitely was a Golden Age for all that." 
Dramatic full-color illustrations throughout by Caldecott Honoree John Rocco make this volume--a must for home, library, and classroom shelves--as stunning as it is entertaining.
Rating: 4/5

Edited by OutlawQueen

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 309

Book Title: Anne of Green Gables

Author: L.M. Montgomery

Summary: When the Cuthberts of Green Gables decide to adopt an orphan, they want a strapping boy to help on the farm. Instead, they’re sent redheaded Anne, a talkative and imaginative sprite of a girl. Against their better judgment, they eventually decide to keep her. And before long, they can’t imagine life without her.

Number Of Pages: 276

Book Title: Anne of Avonlea

Summary: With Matthew Cuthbert’s death, sixteen year old Anne gives up a college scholarship, choosing instead to teach at the Avonlea school and help Marilla with the upkeep of Green Gables.

Number Of Pages: 244

Book Title: Anne of the Island

Summary: At eighteen, Anne is off to college at last. But she and her friends are growing up and finding love along the way.

Book Number: 5

Number Of Pages: 258

Book Title: Anne of Windy Poplars

Summary: While fiancé Gilbert is in medical school, Anne takes a position as principal of a high school in Windy Poplars, making new friends there while keeping in touch with the old friends from home.

Book Number: 6

Number Of Pages: 230

Book Title: Anne’s House of Dreams

Summary: Newlyweds Anne and Gilbert move from Avonlea to Four Winds Harbor, where he will take over his aging uncle’s medical practice. As always, Anne’s winning ways make friends wherever she goes.

Book Number: 7

Number Of Pages: 277

Book Title: Anne of Ingleside

Summary: Married for years and a mother of six, Anne begins to worry that perhaps Gilbert no longer loves her. But a chance meeting with his old flame from college, along with the realization that he simply needs a vacation, proves otherwise.

Book Number: 8

Number Of Pages: 225

Book Title: Rainbow Valley

Summary: Anne’s children are growing up and having adventures of their own, together with the new preacher’s children and an orphan girl unexpectedly adopted by a neighbor.

Book Number: 9

Number Of Pages: 277

Book Title: Rilla of Ingleside

Summary: Anne’s youngest, fifteen year old Rilla, expects the next few years to be the most fun of her life. But the winds of war sweep through Canada, forcing Rilla to grow up quickly and do her part in maintaining the home front while her brothers and the man she loves fight overseas in WWI.

@catstaff, glad to see you're enjoying all the Anne books! :D

Thank you, @w5aw5, for removing the required review part.  I'd like to join again, please.  Will post my so-far books at another time!

On 10/17/2017 at 12:56 AM, Kyath The Dream Worker said:

I have a question.

Are non-english books okay?

Non-English books are fine as long as they meet the challenge rules.

Number Of Pages: 408

Book Title: Dracula

Author: Bram Stoker

Summary: This story records the actions and events from varous characters' points of view of the experiences and the enventual hunt of the vampire known as Count Dracula.

Review: (optional)

Edited by w5aw5

Book Number: 13
Number Of Pages: 109
Book Title: Tales of Beedle the Bard
Author: J.K. Rowling
Summary: (From Goodreads)

The Tales of Beedle the Bard, a Wizarding classic, first came to Muggle readers’ attention in the book known as Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Now, thanks to Hermione Granger’s new translation from the ancient runes, we present this stunning edition with an introduction, notes, and illustrations by J. K. Rowling, and extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore. 
Never before have Muggles been privy to these richly imaginative tales: “The Wizard and the Hopping Pot,” “The Fountain of Fair Fortune,” “The Warlock’s Hairy Heart,” “Babbitty Rabbitty and Her Cackling Stump,” and of course, “The Tale of the Three Brothers.” But not only are they the equal of fairy tales we now know and love, reading them gives new insight into the world of Harry Potter.
Rating: 5/5

Review: My tale preferences goes as follows:
1. The Fountain of Fair Fortune 
2. The Warlock's Harry Heart
3. The Tale of Three Brothers
4. Babbitty Rabbitty and her Cackling Stump
5. The Wizard and the Hoping Pot

Book Number: 14 (re-read)

Number Of Pages: 224

Book Title: The Time Keeper

Author: Mitch Albom

Summary: (My own)

Father Time exists. He is trapped in cave to learnt the true meaning of time and the curse of counting his moments. One day, he will be free. One day, after heaven meets earth, and the world stops aging, he will teach two modern-day souls the meaning of making you moments count. And then he will age.

Are the milestone badges available? I'd love to show them off in my signature if they are.

Edited by OutlawQueen

Book Number: 15
Number Of Pages: 404
Book Title: Percy Jackson's Greek Heroes
Author: Rick Riordan 
Summary: (from Goodreads)

Who cut off Medusa's head? Who was raised by a she-bear? Who tamed Pegasus? It takes a demigod to know, and Percy Jackson can fill you in on the all the daring deeds of Perseus, Atalanta, Bellerophon, and the rest of the major Greek heroes. Told in the funny, irreverent style readers have come to expect from Percy, ( I've had some bad experiences in my time, but the heroes I'm going to tell you about were the original old school hard luck cases. They boldly screwed up where no one had screwed up before. . .) and enhanced with vibrant artwork by Caldecott Honoree John Rocco, this story collection will become the new must-have classic for Rick Riordan's legions of devoted fans--and for anyone who needs a hero. So get your flaming spear. Put on your lion skin cape. Polish your shield and make sure you've got arrows in your quiver. We're going back about four thousand years to decapitate monsters, save some kingdoms, shoot a few gods in the butt, raid the Underworld, and steal loot from evil people. Then, for dessert, we'll die painful tragic deaths. Ready? Sweet. Let's do this.
Review:

Hero Preferences:
1. Atalanta
2. Cyrene
3. Orphues
4. Jason
5. Otrera
6. Daedalus 
7. Theseus
8. Hercules
9. Perseus
10. Bellerophon 
11. Psyche 
12. Phaethon 

A lot of manga/comic books barely pass 300 pages so I was wondering if the whole series could count as a single book read. (Thinking of joining since I have lots of books/mangas I need to read. :D) Or simply two volumes instead of one to pass the 500 page mark. 

51 minutes ago, w5aw5 said:

I would be fine with having two manga/comic books being joined to meet the 500 page mark.

That's great =] I'll definitely be joining then. 

Edit: Also if I find the time I was thinking of making those milestones for you (university does take up a lot of my time). I saw them in the art request page. 

Edited by kearlighed

Book Number: 16
Number Of Pages: 422
Book Title: The Coldest Girl in Coldtown
Author: Holly Black
Summary: (Soured from Goodreads)
Coldtown was dangerous, Tana knew. A glamorous cage, a prison for the damned and anyone who wanted to party with them.
Tana lives in a world where walled cities called Coldtowns exist. In them, quarantined monsters and humans mingle in a decadently bloody mix of predator and prey. And once you pass through Coldtown's gates, you can never leave.
One morning, after a perfectly ordinary party, Tana wakes up surrounded by corpses. The only other survivors of this massacre are her exasperatingly endearing ex-boyfriend, infected and on the edge, and a mysterious boy burdened with a terrible secret. Shaken and determined, Tana enters a race against the clock to save the three of them the only way she knows how: by going straight to the wicked, opulent heart of Coldtown itself. 
Rating: 4.5/5

Review: Many trigger warnings, not recommended for young/sensitive readers

Number Of Pages: 256

Book Title: The Food Forest Handbook

Author: Darrel Frey and Michelle Czolba

Summary: This book describes how to design, start, and maintain a food forest garden. It also gives some details on the necessary parts of a food forest and some information on what roles certain plants play in the food forest ecosystem. 

Edited by w5aw5