TJ09

2017-07-17 - July Dragon Release

What great interesting new dragons! The green male two-headed is my favourite. Thank you, spriters!

Ooooo, the adults are <3 <3 <3, all of them. Nice designs on their own, and extra nice to see some body types that're different from the bulk of what's already in cave. I liiiiike. 

By the hatchlings I just expected the scripts to be a bit sleeker

Ooooo adults! :o I expected Scripts to be more "noodly" too but they're still great. The two-heads are very nice and dinosaur-y. The tail fins on the greens, particularly the female, are so nice and leafy and delicate on an otherwise fairly brutal-looking creature - great contrast.

Edited by Aurae

The Scripts are so pretty! They have lovely coloring, and I really like the designs on them. Plus the pose is, like, super adorable. They're looking up all adoringly and happy. <3

And it's nice to have a two-headed leviathan. Looks like I might need to report the inconsistent name spelling, though. xP

1 hour ago, Marie19R said:

Soooo.... Are we going to get leviathan two-head zombie sprites now??

I'm wondering about this too. ^_^

The adults all look awesome, but I'm especially fond of the Scripts. I foresee many beautiful lineages... *v*

Thanks TJ, Odeen and TCA for such a great release! :wub:

Oooooh. They are all beautiful.  :wub: 

The Baikala/Bailaka are just what I hoped they would be, so awesome! (I hope we learn the correct name variant soon, otherwise I'll just call them Bainanas for now so I can be sure to be wrong. :P)

The Scripts' colors will be great for interesting new lineage combinations. And the sprite is lovely!  :)

Oh wow. The new dragons are beautiful.

I think the scripts are my favourites though - I love the colours

I wonder about some more info on the Script dragons' general personality.

The concept is super cool but the headcanon I've got is someone who is excessively fond of cryptography, word-puzzles and ciphers. Maybe puns even. ;) 

My mystery-loving heart want one for real, if not living and breathing then at least as a big plushie. :P

I love all of them. Do you think the blue ones can breed greens and vice versa?

Here are some chat logs I think y'all will be interested to see ouo

TCA: WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WANTS SCRIPT FUN FACTS??
TCA: So the Scripts were the very first concept I made after the release of the Pyralspites!
TCA: They didn't start out as the lindwurms you guys got though.
TCA: In fact, they started life as this Western sketch I was doing for fun, and kinda liked!
Image link
TCA: I made a completed sprite set based on that, but redid them fairly recently and ditched the hind legs because we have too many Westerns. The other subtle changes, like the horn color and the neck color being the same as the rest of the belly, are because... I didn't actually look at the old sprite while making the redo! I went from memory!

TCA: Anyways, Script dragons were never a super serious breed I did in-depth concept stuff for. I just wanted to make something neat. But I headcanon them as being powerful mage dragons, loving parents, kind of soft and plushy under their scales and very snuggly, but also the type to be enigmatic or frustrating just for lulz. Like, if you went to ask one for help, they'd send you on a dumb sidequest just because they could.
TCA: And be all ~mysterious~ about it. (They're totally laughing inside the whole time though.)

[other user]: I think I would have preferred hind legs but get totally why you would change them for diversity.
TCA: It also showed off their wing design better.
TCA: They have the wing design they do because I wanted to give the impression of something with six wings, but I also didn't want to give them... six wings

TCA: oh yeah
TCA: I do have one last thing
zmOPFz2.png
TCA: Face detail! Scribbled in MS Paint.

TCA: ok so imagine a really soft snake. like a ball python that just shed and is all soft and plushy and smooth
TCA: that's what these feel like

TCA: while I had a reference in mind, I wanted to abstract it from that reference
TCA: such that it kind of references neat fantasy script in general
TCA: instead of just being a "that character" dragon
TCA: the color scheme is the one thing that's still closeish to the original reference I had in mind
TCA: but even then I changed it up
TCA: and made it its own unique thing

TCA: The different neck color was the one design element from the first run of the Script I kinda wish I'd tried to work in, but at the same time, I love how clean and soft their neck turned out uwu
TCA: so I don't really have regrets

Also, they're totally mostly-carnivorous but do eat some amount of plants in addition, and like to accumulate a few different types of food and then combine it all into one big mess and stuff their faces until they can barely move. Any breed that is any sort of picky probably won't touch their stupid "cooking" even though they'll totally try to get them to taste it. And in terms of size, I imagine them to be, as adults, thick around enough that you can only barely have the tips of your fingers touch if you tried to wrap your arms around the bottom of their neck, and about as long as a Greyhound bus, give or take a few feet.

And because of their varied diets, heavy use of magic leading to laziness, and soft bodies, Script dragons, when dead, have incredibly tender and delicious meat, even as adults. They're hard to kill for this meat because of their ability to use destructive magic in self-defense, unless you're, like, a Cassare or something, as well as their intelligence. But they taste like farmed alligator.

Edited by TCA

So cool TCA! Thanks for the added background.  That really made me laugh "sending someone off on a sidequest just because they could" I love these new dragons and their happy pose.

Thanks for the extra info, TCA! :)

The Bailaka dragons are wonderful! The poses are fantastic, capturing them in the instant of snapping at their prey. You can almost see them darting about. They look very ferocious. I am picturing how scary it would be to be in deep, dark water and the last sight you see is those jaws emerging out of the dark. :blink:

The Script dragons are so graceful and elegant! I adore the wings, and the patterns make them look very enigmatic and mysterious. They almost seem to have a small, knowing smile.  I'm also glad to have another Lindwurm.

Thanks so much to TJ and the artists for this awesome release!

Yes. Yes, I would definitely want to surround myself with these lovable jerks.

I simply adore the Scripts! I think I love them even more after learning more about them since they sound like my kind of dragon- nice and cuddly. Don't get me wrong though, I find the Bailaka to be an amazing breed too with awesome poses and designs. But, I am quite the sucker for the softie Scripts uwu (especially their markings).

Thanks so much for another lovely release, these are all wonderful dragons to hoard for my birthday. Definitely going to add Scripts to my permanent hoarding list though <3. 

Hmmm so the green and blue river dragons share the same description and biomes (mostly)...

I really like the Bailaka Dragons. They look like one of my fav Dinosaurs, the Mosasaurus ♥

I think I know what the writing on the Scripts was based on now. It's abstracted enough that it's mostly generic fantasy script, but the influence is there. :U

9 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

I think I know what the writing on the Scripts was based on now. It's abstracted enough that it's mostly generic fantasy script, but the influence is there. :U

It's not Hymmnos or Ar Ciela, if that's what you're thinking. Despite the fact that my signature uses Hymmnos, I only recently got into the Ar Tonelico/Surge Concerto games, and these dragons are a very old concept. (Plus there's really no relation to silver/purple/red there.)

Edited by TCA

both dragon breeds are pretty cool, but I´m also a bit unsure if the Two-headed Dragons are called Bailaka or Baikala, since both names are written in the description ^^

Thank you for the info on the Scripts TCA, i really HAVE to hoard them now aaaaa

I'd love to have a lil bit of info more also on the Baikalas/Bailakas because i love to know as much as possible about dragons but it's ok if it's not possible for one reason or another