Ruby Eyes

How To Use The Forum

I'd RATHER head for extinction than use the new message system, actually. XD

Then again I'm 72; I've had a fair run. But taking an interface to being LESS customisable by users is hardly progress.

You *can* still code yourself - you just cannot read existing bbcode because there is none.

Sometime in the next few days, I'll probably write up a few collected facts about the new messaging system.

OH I can USE it. I just hate it - and I have a student who can't manage it at all - and she isn't stupid. :(

56 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

You *can* still code yourself - you just cannot read existing bbcode because there is none.

I thought this went without saying. I was referring to ProBoards' convenient policy of letting admins fully customize the hard HTML of all their pages and basically alter the fabric of their website. /off-topic

I can easily use the BBCode for it, but some sub/superscript buttons on the post interface would save time.

Edited by Miral

And my lazy a--butt likes the auto coding method. XD Although if self-coding worked better alongside the auto coding, that wouldn't be a problem for me.

There are some points at which extinction begins to look rather friendly... ;) 

But alright, let's be nice little evolutioneers and adapt.

I just discovered another question (and used the search, found the question, but not the answer):

Where can I see how many space is left in my inbox/messenger ?

Currently, nowhere. As far as I know, the limit has been removed for the time being.

As far as I can tell, only people who happened to have the "inbox full" marker set for their account at the time of the big forum upgrade AND haven't logged in and looked at their inbox since then may still throw the "inbox full" message to potential senders.

You can look at your current amount of messages at the top of your inbox, by clicking the arrow next to the big "Inbox" header. The little drop-down box shows how many messages you have in each folder.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

Thank you, Ruby Eyes ! No limit is good news indeed.

I thought I remembered some status comment when first looking at the new messenger (that said I still had lots of space when before the update I was near the limit), but I never saw that again. So either it was never there and I imagined things, or it was changed to unlimited at some point.

The upgrade restored plenty of old messages and filled up nearly everyone's PM box and made messaging impossible in the beginning which is why TJ resorted to lifting the limits. He said he might put the limits back at some point, at 1000, if I recall correctly.

Anyone know how to delete a post? I accidentally double posted and I can't figure out how to delete the second post... Is the "hide" function supposed to be the delete function?

4 minutes ago, Forest said:

Anyone know how to delete a post? I accidentally double posted and I can't figure out how to delete the second post... Is the "hide" function supposed to be the delete function?

Yes, you can't delete, so hiding is the way to get rid of it.

Just now, purplehaze said:

Yes, you can't delete, so hiding is the way to get rid of it.

Does it hide it from everyone, or just me? In my experience on other websites, "hiding" something usually just hides it for myself, so I'm the only one that can't see it anymore.

So TJ has blessed us with a little signature banner for our scrolls. For me, this is the URL:

https://dcrecords.tj09.net/banner/Ruby%20Eyes.png

That %20 is replacing the space in my username. Obviously, you would put your own scroll name there.

To add this to your signature, scroll up to your name in the top left corner and click the little arrow next to it.

In the little popup box, click "Account Settings".

In the menu on the left, the bottom option is "Signature" - click that and wait for the signature editor to load completely.

Now, if the signature editor would work as it should, you could just use the "Insert other media" button in the bottom right corner of the editor box and select "Insert image from URL".

For me, the signature editor did not work as it should, so I used this work-around:

[img=https://dcrecords.tj09.net/banner/Ruby%20Eyes.png]

Copy that line and paste it into something without any formatting, e.g. the searchbar of your browser. A plaintext editor like Notepad should also work.

Now would be the time to replace my scroll name with yours ;)

Then highlight the whole content of that searchbar/editor and cut it from there (it should be in your clipboard without formatting now), then paste into your signature.

If the editor auto-links the URL (which it did for me), ctrl+rightclick the link and select "remove link". Save your sig.

If another auto-link appears (which it did for me, just shorter), ctrl+rightclick and select "remove link". Save.

Repeat until the image shows up.

Once you see the actual image, you can double-click it within the editor and add a link to your scroll. Don't forget to save!

edit: If the double-clicking and adding a link is too much trouble, here be the code (replace my name with yours, of course):

[url=https://dragcave.net/user/Ruby+Eyes][img=https://dcrecords.tj09.net/banner/Ruby%20Eyes.png][/url]

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I'll have to remember this if I need to post a linked image. I tried to paste all of the code for my scroll banner in manually and the autoformat kept breaking stuff. Typing the whole thing out manually did work but I'd hate to do that for a link that was more complex

rats ... I tried to use the new sig

and have lost almost all that WAS there !!!   :(

help !!!  any way to get the wee ones back  ??? 

16 minutes ago, orphaned said:

rats ... I tried to use the new sig

and have lost almost all that WAS there !!!   :(

help !!!  any way to get the wee ones back  ??? 

this new forum is lovely ... I guessed and retrieved the lost ones ..

just need to remove the empty box and add the new sig from TJ >>> :wacko: .. 

Has anyone posted a guide for how to use the forum with mobiles? I can't 'hover over' stuff.

Not that I know of. Not on this forum, I'd say.

You can get your PM link also from every of your own posts. If I recall phone functions correctly, you'd just tap and hold onto the "Message" link until a little menu pops up that should allow you to copy the link location.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

27 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Not that I know of. Not on this forum, I'd say.

You can get your PM link also from every of your own posts. If I recall phone functions correctly, you'd just tap and hold onto the "Message" link until a little menu pops up that should allow you to copy the link location.

Where is the pm link in the post? I only know of the one in profiles and I can't see one when looking at my own one. And the only links in posts are links to profile, flag/report, quote, hide post, edit, and share post link.

Just now, zaverxi said:

Where is the pm link in the post?

On mobile? No clue. :blink: On computer, it's in the bottom left corner of a post.

1 minute ago, Ruby Eyes said:

On mobile? No clue. :blink: On computer, it's in the bottom left corner of a post.

Well that would explain why I can't find it, because it's not there. Drat, I don't have a computer atm. :/