Gruff

Are rare eggs too rare.

1 hour ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

Not to point out the obvious, but wouldn't the simplest way to have rares easier to find be... to make them a little less rare/give them a slightly higher drop rate? xP

Heavily agreed, but then there's the problem of people opposing that because "it makes them less valuable and no good for trading". :/

TBH, though, I think ANY suggestion, whether it be drop rate or not, will face opposition.

I actually caught both my first Gold and a Silver myself lately, directly after the Zyumorph release. So I guess one way would be to release more 'true rare' or difficult-to-catch dragons... but the con there is that there are, well, more difficult-to-catch dragons in the cave, and anyone who isn't in the cave when they drop is out of luck for possibly years. /looks at the Coppers, I still only have one CB Verdigris copper.

I'd love to see the Trader's Canyon idea be implemented, but who knows if that'll ever happen.

13 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

If you own old CB holidays (which are technically even rarer than Golds and Silvers) you might have better chances at trades.

I own every CB Holiday except Holly (of which I have 2gs) and I wouldn't say this is the case, at least as far as golds / silvers go. Many people are generous with holiday breedings, and even if they weren't, there's oodles and oodles of beautiful lines and 2gs free for the picking in the AP. I've never seen a CB metal trade for any 2g Holiday but a Holly or Altkin.

ANYHOO. I would say CB Metals are too rare (I think all the uncommons are reasonable). As others have said, most of mine were from wonderful gifting or very lucky trade opportunities. I have very few caught by myself--and those I do have are mostly from way back when I first joined, when there were far, far less breeds and metals were going through a huge surge in numbers to boot. While making them drop a bit more often is certainly one solution, I lean towards the shop that Fuzz linked above, as it's a great way to solve both that problem and many others while still keeping them rare.

As I said in my original post, in my first go round with the three biomes, I had golds, I had silvers. I think I had two each ... I can't really remember. They weren't so elusive that you never saw them at all. I can say though, that after the fir posting, I did manage to catch my own CB Silver. I can't tell you the last time I even saw one, and forget about the golds.

I do like the lovely commons project. I have done a few of them. I breed lines and lineages that I like and if others happen to like them as well ... then great.

I would say Golds are very rare ~ but I see Silvers around quite a lot, even though I'm too slow to get them.

Trader's Canyon is the perfect solution for this. Looking at how long it takes to earn a CB metal through the store, they won't be getting a decrease in rarity in the biomes or anything. The huge pro is that with the Canyon, you'll be guaranteed a CB metal after many months. With cave hunting, you're never guaranteed anything but blockers.

Edited by KrazyKarp

11 hours ago, FoxintheBox said:

I would say Golds are very rare ~ but I see Silvers around quite a lot, even though I'm too slow to get them.

The last time I saw a rare was 2 years ago (Coppers excluded), as far as I know. I know that it was 2 years ago because I actually got it :lol:. Maybe now, they only fall when I'm asleep. :(

Edited by Fly-by-Night

I haven't seen a CB gold in years. Saw a CB silver a few weeks ago, but it was snatched in an instant.

But here I am, trying to trade off my first 2nd Gen Prize, and I see people offering with 2 or 3 CB Golds/Silvers. It's a bit...ridiculous?  It leaves the poor newbies with no chance to get CB rares.

And then there are the CB Golden Wyverns. They're classified as Rares, but I feel like I almost see them more often than some CB uncommons. :/ I don't always grab them from the Cave, a lot of times, I sit there and see how long the egg'll just sit there...usually pretty long. I think it's nicer for newer users, since they don't have to fight as much to get a rare, but they don't have much value in trades, since they're a commoner sight in the cave.

Maybe there should just be a rare "cooldown"? Perhaps you can only catch 2 or 3 rares in a certain period of time?

4 hours ago, 20mia08 said:

Maybe there should just be a rare "cooldown"? Perhaps you can only catch 2 or 3 rares in a certain period of time?

Please, no. That would be punishing people who are good at the game. Instead, either make rares drop more frequently or just implement a less competitive method for hunting (like the Trader's Canyon, since that's been brought up here).

4 hours ago, 20mia08 said:

And then there are the CB Golden Wyverns. They're classified as Rares, but I feel like I almost see them more often than some CB uncommons. :/

Classified by who? Because I do not think golden wyverns are supposed to be rare - they were more user-driven uncommons, where the user drive for SHINY has finally calmed down and they're now more common-seeming as a result.

Keep in mind that rarity is defined by us users, but that doesn't mean our perspective envelops their true drop rate as defined by the cave. We can influence things by over-hunting them and making them seem more rare than they really are.

10 hours ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

Classified by who? Because I do not think golden wyverns are supposed to be rare - they were more user-driven uncommons, where the user drive for SHINY has finally calmed down and they're now more common-seeming as a result.

By the wiki, but that's not and has never been official. The wiki just guesses how rare things are; it gets some right and, in my opinion at least, others very wrong.

I've never seen a rare egg in the cave. I've always wanted to get a Gold or Silver on my own, but I've never seen one and I've been playing Dragon Cave since 2013. I'm currently trying to find a caveborn Blusang on my own, but I can't find those either. It's very disheartening for me. I can see why they're difficult to find, but I wish they weren't that difficult.

Agreed, I feel some eggs are a little too rare. I've only lately started hunting more and realized how many dergs I have NEVER once seen in the caves. Aeons, Blusangs, Thunders. Don't even get me started on the metals. One gold and one silver, gone less than a millisecond after I realized what they were.

I'm happy that we have the Market now. We can actually get some of these too-rare eggs.

But before it had been implemented, I had to fall back on my prize and such just to get my hands on any of the above dergs. Apparently the rares love to drop while I sleep and then whiz by so fast when I'm awake that I never see them, even with constant refreshing of biome pages, because they're picked up in that half-second it takes me to refresh so I never even get to see it appear. I get that yeah, there should be difficulty...but this is a smidge ridiculous. For a long while when I first joined, I was convinced that CB Golds were no longer in the biomes because I never saw them despite sitting in my chair for hours after classes, hoping to get one. :P I know better now but it was rather disheartening back then.

I totally agree that CB Golds and Gaia Xenos are TOO rare in the cave, but that's about it. I've seen every other rare in the cave at least once last month alone. I manage to catch a CB silver at least once a month or every other month, sometimes twice a month if the odds are good or I'm playing at a really weird time (like 3am here in the US). I can catch CB Ices almost every hour on the hour if I had room. I swear I see that "this egg has icicles..." description every time I look at the Alpine on the hour.

I think that the scarcity and difficulty of finding and catching Rares in directly linked to the larger number of members in the DC.  When I first came to the years ago, it was much easier to grab some of the rares.  I saw the Golds and Silvers (to name two) periodically, but was never fast enough to catch one.  I finally was able to grab a Silver, but when I whined and cried, lol, about the lack, a very kind Lady gave me a Gold.  I have since, over time, been able to grab more and other Rares, but seldom see any these days.  

When I first joined (back in 2009), I did see some golds and silvers in the cave (that was before the biomes), though I never managed to catch one.

My activity has been pretty inconsistent for some years, but I have to say that since biomes have been in DC, I've seen... what? 2 Silvers? 1 gold? And that was at least a year ago. I've been junting a little more actively this lasts months and I haven't seen one. At all. Bluesangs neither, and I've been in the Coast biome very specifically. And I play with the advantage that I hunt in the mornings of my time zone - which  is normally around 3-6am EDT so the cave is normally not that busy!

It is disheartening, quite frankly, because I'd LOVE to make my own lineages with a CB Silver... Or just be able to say "YAY! I managed to catch one!". I don't understand how people catch multiple CB gold/silver eggs... where do they hunt? 😂It must not be the same cave I hunt!

Or maybe I'm doing it wrong? Who knows. Would love me some baby silvers though, they're so beautiful 😢

Yes, absolutely.

Rares need to exist to provide a challenge but challenge is a balance, there's a difference between a good challenge and a numslog.

While I am in wholehearted support of more rares on par with golds and silvers I also am in even more support of golds and silvers and all breeds for that matter being readjusted to accommodate the modern DC, back when there where five breeds and 50 players (hyperbole) they might have been reasonable but with every new common added to our 100+ roster of almost entirely commons/uncommons making them less likely to spawn with every release and our playerbase numbering in the thousands with each new player having goals of getting them it just isn't good design to have the rarest thing gotten through actual game-play take upwards of a year before you even see one in the biomes (let alone get it).

They don't need to become golden wyvern levels of common but bringing them down to a more reasonable rarity would probably be for the best. Perhaps even adjusting spawning mechanics to take demand into account, like timing how long it takes for an egg to be taken and spawning a bit more, not erasing the rarity but preventing it and the demand from driving the breed into near extinction.

4 hours ago, relaks said:

I don't understand how people catch multiple CB gold/silver eggs... where do they hunt? 😂It must not be the same cave I hunt!

Definitely one of the biomes, refreshing the page and pure luck... and good internet connection.

I once, casually stumbled upon a CB Silver in Coast. Took me 3 seconds to realise that, it's been so long since the last time I see a Silver description (missed it, then). But it didn't appear right away, it appeared apparently after someone took a few other eggs. So it's sometimes about luck.

Personally, I don't think Golds and Silvers are too Rare, they probably spawn 1 or 2 (or more) everyday. What makes them hard to get, however, is the competition for them :v It's not that you don't see Golds and Silvers drop, someone must have taken it in a tenth of a second before you landed on one of the biome pages XD

Edit: @animatedrose really? I have purposely missed a few Thunder eggs in Desert, they're just so slow to be taken! Blusangs are a bit hard too, but that's probably because of their short unappealing description.

And Xenos are still Xenos, wherever they spawn in the biomes. Maybe I should hunt more Gaias :v hunting in the Jungle biome is always a challenge, especially because of the Dino eggs only appearing there.

By far, all Rares besides Golds and Silvers are true to their rarity in caves, with a few competition making them look much more rare (Dinosaur eggs and any eggs in Jungle or Alpine biome). So, I think DC is as good as it is :)

(I didn't intend to write this long, oops)

Edited by BlueLatios

1 hour ago, BlueLatios said:

It's not that you don't see Golds and Silvers drop

Haven't seen any in ages, and I do hunt a lot.

So I've been playing for ten years, and I've never seen a gold or silver in the cave. The market is an interesting concept, but assuming the prices don't change it will take me seven months before I can buy a CB silver.

I like that some dragons are quite rare and valuable. However, when things stop being fun or challenging and start just being frustrating for a lot of people, I think its time for a change. I have other Golds/Silvers, though no CBs, and my latest frustration was that trading for a Neglected is impossible unless you have a CB prize or spriter alt. So after agonizing over it for a few years, I gave up on hoping to get a Neglected or any CB Golds/Silvers, and since letting go of that goal I've been able to enjoy the game more. I work regular overtime, I can't sit in the cave for hours and hours on end because I simply don't have that time anymore.

I'm happy enough with my tailored-back goals. But if others are frustrated like me I don't think that's a healthy dynamic long-term. I don't think goals in a game people play for fun should be unreachable. I don't have any solutions in mind, but I do think its crazy that after ten years of playing I'm still no closer to getting a CB Gold/Silver than I was when I started in 2008.

I do think that the rarity could be adjusted. I have seen 2 Silvers in the cave since I started playing in 2015. I think I've seen 1 Gold, but definitely no more than that. I've never seen a Copper. I see Almandines and Tan Ridgewings once in a while, but Trios and Blusangs are harder to come by (even though they're supposedly not as rare?). Xenowyrms and Zyumorphs are quite a challenge too...I think I've caught around 5 total. With so many common breeds, the rare and uncommon breeds need to be adjusted so that they don't disappear. Or stop releasing so many common breeds. 

While the market is a great equalizer, I'm still inclined they're a bit too rare in cave. Coppers / Zyus / Xenos / Trios are rare but much more visible than Silvers / Golds are. It would be nice if Silvers and Golds were a more mild step up in rarity from them. DC is by nature a very patience based game in some ways, but a very touch and go game and others--most of what you can do revolves around grabbing / breeding a few things for several minutes and then waiting a few days to do so again. The current "good luck seeing one CB Metal a day!" ratio level is not very accommodating of how the rest of the game rolls. 

So yah, I think it'd make sense if they were a bit easier to find. Although a better solution might just be to release more top tier rares. To be fair, the chance of seeing any SPECIFIC Copper / Zyu / Xeno / Trio / Etc is fairly low, but there's a good amount of them, so you can usually find one or the other of them and swap for what you need. With 18 of those (and that's not even counting a few other uncommon desirables) and just 2 Metals, it's no wonder they feel so much friendlier to find even when, again, they're pretty scarce. So having more rares in general would probably improve the feel of things, even if everything individually remains about as rare as it was originally.

I think the problem is the ratio system. People who get CB metallics/other rates can breed them - and are likely to breed them *more* because of how versatile cbs are.

This, in turn, makes it less likely for them to appear in biomes. Someone getting and using their CB rares automatically makes it harder for anyone else to get them from the biomes - and I think that's a shame.

I can never find blusangs OR gemshards. For some reason, coppers like me. I have seen maybe 3 silvers and just one maybe gold... I'm still not sure if it actually was.

The market is great and all but I am never going to use it to buy metallics. Not when I can get so many more "CB" dragons and start equally beautiful lineages for much cheaper.

Their rarity has never really bothered me, though? I don't... Care for golds. I wish female silvers also had a blue mane. So, for my personal play style, their rarity doesn't matter as much. Blusangs, on the other hand, are a breed I absolutely love, and I can never find enough (or Any...) CBS. Same goes for blue gemshards.

There's one color of copper that I've only got one cb of, and I wish I had more. I don't know what its name is - whatever one from the desert.

Even uncommon eggs are a pain in my backside half the time. 

18 minutes ago, Alrexwolf said:

I think the problem is the ratio system. People who get CB metallics/other rates can breed them - and are likely to breed them *more* because of how versatile cbs are. This, in turn, makes it less likely for them to appear in biomes. Someone getting and using their CB rares automatically makes it harder for anyone else to get them from the biomes - and I think that's a shame.

This is kind of what I was thinking, too, but I'm not 100% sure I had the correct grasp of how the ratios work, so I didn't want to say anything.