Guillotine

"Wonder Trade" function

My problem is I'd want to use this kind of feature in a way it can't be used: sending eggs out without getting anything in return.  Whenever I use take an egg leave an egg, I just leave an egg.  So I'm apathetic about it at best, and at worst wonder if it would actually be a useful feature.

I'm wondering whether this is different enough from what we already have to warrant a completely new feature.

Maybe we could have a "wonder trade game" thread instead? The advantage would be that we don't have to wait for TJ (only mod approval).

It would either work by posting two-way trades with only one egg and taking the very first offer we get (the somewhat "safer" option, but you see what you get before you get it), or by posting gifting links and whoever clicks a link has to post a new one (this way there is a surprise effect, but it's easier to abuse).

What do you think?

The Give an Egg, Take an Egg thread is already what you describe, and it doesn't fulfill what I'm looking for with this.

And again, I'm of the opinion that if you want something nice for certain, that's what ordinary trades are for. This is explicitly about not knowing what you're going to get. And that is an issue with actual Wonder Trade, where 90% of the time you get fresh-caught early-game randos for, say, a Scyther you spent time breeding and hunting for Metal Coats to make some kid's day... but I actually like that aspect, and I know others do too. I don't mind getting messy lines for my nice-bred stuff. I know that's a dealbreaker for some, but I consider it a feature of this sort of system, not a flaw.

If you don't like the core idea of the suggestion, there's not much I can do to change your mind. It's a difference in personal tastes, and that's fine. It's why this is something that you have to actively choose to participate it.

I’d actually really enjoy this. Whether or not you get a common or a rare, it’d be a bit of fun and something a little less serious :) I’d certainly participate, and the separate hatchie/egg function seems great 

Still supporting this idea. Now that I have experienced the, heh, wonders of Wonder Trade, I'd love to have a similar feature added to Dragon Cave. I don't care if all I get for trading away shinies and other nice stuff is 30G+ inbred Mint eggs, it's the idea of Wonder Trade itself that I love so much. What you get is random and uncontrollable -- and that's what makes it so fun. You have no idea what you'll get until the trade is complete.

I've never played Pokemon at all so I have no clue what they whole 'wonder trade' there is, but I did notice this thread when it first came about and I believe I was sorta against it but didn't post, but for the life of me I can't remember why I was against it. Just re-read the thread and definitely support this. I totally get that it wouldn't be useful for everyone, there are users who only collect specific lineage types or whatever and look for very specific things in trades. But for some of us this would be *so* much fun. For the last year I've been collecting mostly commons, I don't care about clean/specific lineages (in fact I prefer messies), there are only like one or two breeds that I actively dislike... I think it could be really fun to put a trade out there and get something totally random in return. A bit like posting a trade and simply asking for 'offers', but without the limitations of the forum or the hassle of having to keep checking the trade page to see if there is an offer.

I never liked Pokemon's Wonder Trading (nor its trading in general), and I would much rather just have an ability to leave random transfers in a Marketplace or the forums. I would also much rather have a "surprise me" on a trade offer then send out a nice second gen and get a very messy, inbred super common dragon, which is what lots of people would do if DC had a "Wonder Trade" like feature.

But if people don't want to risk getting something they consider not worth their nice 2nd-gen, they don't have to participate in the wonder trade thing. There are regular trades for that, if you want to make sure you get something worthwhile. This would be specifically for people who *like* the mystery and unknown aspect of it, who actually want to be surprised with something completely random, who don't mind taking a risk on getting something they might not want because it's fun just to be surprised like that. If a user might get upset that they put up something really nice and got something messy or inbred in return, they don't need to use it and take that risk. But some of us would actually really like doing exactly that.

2 hours ago, Marie19R said:

But if people don't want to risk getting something they consider not worth their nice 2nd-gen, they don't have to participate in the wonder trade thing. There are regular trades for that, if you want to make sure you get something worthwhile. This would be specifically for people who *like* the mystery and unknown aspect of it, who actually want to be surprised with something completely random, who don't mind taking a risk on getting something they might not want because it's fun just to be surprised like that. If a user might get upset that they put up something really nice and got something messy or inbred in return, they don't need to use it and take that risk. But some of us would actually really like doing exactly that.

Precisely this. Plus, I’m sure a lot of us would actually like to give away some rare stuff just to make somebody’s day. But nobody is forcing anyone to give away the stuff they’d rather cherish for themselves. 

Yeah, basically. Some days you don't actually care what you get in return, some days you do, and that's why this is an extension of the trade function and not a replacement.

Me, I just like knowing that the person on the other end of a randomized trade might be happy with what they got.

I find this an interesting idea but...I dunno if it is something I would use.

That said, I am not totally opposed if it is San option for those that would like to use it.

Interesting idea, while i would like to see it, i think with the AP we kinda have it already and i doubt the system could recognize the value of an egg and give you something similar

Also to 'Leave an egg, take an egg'....that can be cheated.

Create an one-way teleport link, set egg in, take egg, cancel trade = Free egg!

I did it once to see if it would really work and it did, since then i removed the link from my signature realising why nobody uses it aka why there are like zero eggs in.

You could prob set up something like this on your own on the forums. =/

My main concern is that the Pokemon WT is absolutely flooded with garbage. It's nothing but Route 1 Pokemon that no one wants. Even when people put good stuff in, it's usually either the super popular Pokemon (Vulpix and Mimikyu run rampant) or hacked shinies. This would totally happen again, people would put in messy nonsense or non-Alt Blacks and expect Golds and Silvers.

I think some people are missing the point? This isn't really about getting shinies or rares, at least I don't see it that way. The idea of a 'wonder trade' thing seems to be to put something out there for others and get something totally random and mysterious in return. From what I understand, it's more about the fun, the giving, the surprise, the mystery, rather then 'omg I really hope I don't get garbage'. If you don't want to take a chance on getting something good when there is a possibility you might get something you don't like, then don't use the feature. But it seems there could be many users who *would* want to take that chance, and besides, 'garbage' is completely subjective. Some people seem to think anything that's not super-rare is garbage, some people think anything higher then 2nd-gen is garbage, some people love super-commons and messies and all that stuff that someone else might consider garbage. As long as it's made clear in the feature that you are getting something *random* and should not expect rares, I don't really see any problem here. If you don't want something you may not like, don't use it, simple. And if you want to give something but don't like what you end up getting in return, it takes like two seconds to abandon it.

There is no way to implement this on the forums. The closest there is is asking for "offers" or using Take an Egg, Leave an Egg... and neither are what I want.

I want to throw, say, low-gen Shimmers out there and maybe get a messy [whatever is taking over ratios at the time], maybe get something someone spent time breeding up to. I want the risk involved with Wonder Trade. I want to send out nice things and get a mystery that could well be a dud in return.

This isn't a way to get things you otherwise couldn't; that's the Trader's Canyon. This is just randomizing trades, and is entirely an opt-in thing.

Plus, you can't really hack here, and what a person considers good varies wildly; lord knows I don't like the most popular lineage forms for stairs and spirals. It would probably work better on DC than on Pokemon.

Edited by Guillotine

I think this would be fun. Yes, it'd be a bit of a crapshoot, but isn't the AP? Still feels awesome when you get something amazing, and you can always dump the stinkers. :P