Moonlight_Eevee

Unique Egg Descriptions

Yes I am splitting the threads apart. One for Egg Descriptions and the other for Egg Images being shown

So, now that we have almost 200 Unique Dragons in the cave, I think some changes to the egg descriptions need to happen. The only two that truly need to be changed are the frills and horses since they are strictly in the same biome, but as someone has suggested in the other thread, horse eggs only have a single stripe on it and frills have just an orange splotch. They don't really match up to the text that is used to describe them as they would need more stripes/splotches on them. 

Thoughts? 

The issue of Sunstones and Moonstone still remains. And, although the Moonstone egg actually resembles a glowing stone, the Sunstone egg looks more like a sparkly stone IMHO. Not glowy. Even adding a single word (blue/orange) to the description would help.

I remember that we used to have a thread about matching eggs to their descriptions, too. (Canopies, Pebbles, Vines, Greys...), but interest there died down once we had certain eggs changed that looked to much like other eggs. (*glares at old silver eggs*)

I still really support doing something, whether its descriptions or visible eggs. We have so many species now that the RNG punishment does nothing but cause frustration. Its not challenging and adds nothing to the game, imo. Its enough of a challenge waiting and hoping the egg you want will show up at all, no matter what rarity it is.

I agree with changing certain egg descriptions to match their eggs more closely - and to get rid of any confusion from the players. Adding images into the Cave would nix this suggestion for hunting, and I prefer Images over Description changes for hunting purposes. But! I do agree that descriptions should be changed regardless.

Perhaps changing the Frilled's egg description to:

Frilled_egg.pngThis green egg's bottom is encompassed by an orange mark.

And the Horse's egg description to:

Horse_egg.gifThis deep purple egg has a solo blue stripe.

And for Moonstones / Sunstones (adding a color descriptor):

Moonstone_egg.GIFThis light blue egg resembles a glowing stone.

Sunstone_egg.gifThis bight orange egg resembles a glowing stone.

Yeah, I thought of those in 30 seconds on sleep deprivation, but they're an idea.

3 minutes ago, Metal-n-Monster said:

I agree with changing certain egg descriptions to match their eggs more closely - and to get rid of any confusion from the players. Adding images into the Cave would nix this suggestion for hunting, and I prefer Images over Description changes for hunting purposes. But! I do agree that descriptions should be changed regardless.

Perhaps changing the Frilled's egg description to:

Frilled_egg.pngThis green egg's bottom is encompassed by an orange mark.

And the Horse's egg description to:

Horse_egg.gifThis deep purple egg has a solo blue stripe.

And for Moonstones / Sunstones (adding a color descriptor):

Moonstone_egg.GIFThis light blue egg resembles a glowing stone.

Sunstone_egg.gifThis bight orange egg resembles a glowing stone.

Yeah, I thought of those in 30 seconds on sleep deprivation, but they're an idea.

I think the Sunstone and Moonstone names you have suggested are great for them. Not too sure about the horse description, can't we make it more, I don't know, horsey? Maybe something to do with galloping? riding? Not at all keen on the Frill description, but can't think of an alternative either!^_^

2 minutes ago, Justie said:

I think the Sunstone and Moonstone names you have suggested are great for them. Not too sure about the horse description, can't we make it more, I don't know, horsey? Maybe something to do with galloping? riding? Not at all keen on the Frill description, but can't think of an alternative either!^_^

No idea; I am not creative enough to come up with something that fits. And, since we're talking about eggs, I'm not sure using a descriptor of the final adult stage would work for the Horse egg. This purple egg is surrounded by hoof prints. Honestly, I am so dumbfounded on descriptors (hence why I can never create a concept of my own, haha).

Why not just naming the colour of the markings? Like, strange orange markings, strange blue markings ...

I think the ideas of just adding a simple colour to the egg descriptions is a great one. It's still keeping in the spirit of the current descriptions, but making them exclusive at the same time.

A single color word sounds like a fine solution to me. Helps distinguish the eggs but still keeps it similar enough to punish impulse clicks. 

On 6.7.2017 at 1:45 AM, Dalek Raptor said:

horse eggs only have a single stripe on it and frills have just an orange splotch. They don't really match up to the text that is used to describe them as they would need more stripes/splotches on them. 

Regarding this, I say you just only see one because you look only at one side of the egg - you don't know what its backside looks like :D

I would still like to see the descriptions tweaked as I still don't know if I'm getting a horse when I want a frill or a sunstone when I want a moonstone

On 8/28/2017 at 8:15 PM, Metal-n-Monster said:

No idea; I am not creative enough to come up with something that fits. And, since we're talking about eggs, I'm not sure using a descriptor of the final adult stage would work for the Horse egg. This purple egg is surrounded by hoof prints. Honestly, I am so dumbfounded on descriptors (hence why I can never create a concept of my own, haha).

Why would a horse come from an egg anyway its a mammal. 

3 hours ago, xXshadowsniper36Xx said:

Why would a horse come from an egg anyway its a mammal. 

Horse dragons are very clearly hooved by their sprites, and they are not mammals.

Anyway, I really like this vs the image one. It just seems to fit the spirit/feel of dc more.

Bringing this back up now that the lineage loophole has been closed. Horses and frills are particularly annoying since there's nothing at all connecting them unlike pinks/flamingos or sun/moonstones, but I do think sun/moonstones deserve unique descriptions anyway if spriters aren't opposed to it.

Considering that this kind of snooping has been disabled, it seems obvious that this mix-up potential is actually intended.

3 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Considering that this kind of snooping has been disabled, it seems obvious that this mix-up potential is actually intended.

Yeah ! And - I don't actually think it's that huge an issue.

11 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yeah ! And - I don't actually think it's that huge an issue.

I have to agree. I mean, we have over 200 unique breeds now and there are only two cases of identical descriptions in the same biome, that's honestly pretty dang good I think. Frills/Horses and Moonstone/Sunstone are, if I'm remember correctly, the *only* in-biome breeds with the same descriptions that drop in the same biomes. Imo, if you really really want one and not the other and don't want to take a chance, you can always trade for it or hunt the AP (I see CB Frills and Moonstones fairly often there!). It definitely does seem intentional and not something that is likely to change. And I really *really* don't want descriptions that have been the same for *years* and that most everyone already has memorized suddenly getting changed and all of us having to re-learn descriptions for a breed that isn't actually new at all (I have a hard enough time remembering descriptions as it is!).

27 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

I have to agree. I mean, we have over 200 unique breeds now and there are only two cases of identical descriptions in the same biome, that's honestly pretty dang good I think. Frills/Horses and Moonstone/Sunstone are, if I'm remember correctly, the *only* in-biome breeds with the same descriptions that drop in the same biomes. Imo, if you really really want one and not the other and don't want to take a chance, you can always trade for it or hunt the AP (I see CB Frills and Moonstones fairly often there!). It definitely does seem intentional and not something that is likely to change. And I really *really* don't want descriptions that have been the same for *years* and that most everyone already has memorized suddenly getting changed and all of us having to re-learn descriptions for a breed that isn't actually new at all (I have a hard enough time remembering descriptions as it is!).

+1

Obviously the 4 identical descriptions were identical on purpose (and not identifiable by biome at the time of release, as there were no biomes). I think of this just as a quirk of the game, and I don't believe it should be changed. As HM said, it's not like every other egg shares its description.

Considering how often I mix up similar descriptions - and sometimes even not-so-similar ones, I don't see how adding a simple color distinction to the egg descriptions in question would hurt.

(Yes, I tend to mix up things. Magma/Ember - a lesson I learned eventually, now Magma and Pyrovar. Fell and Aeon (because both are time-based descriptions). Silver and Nebula (I always mistake the brilliant radiance for a beautiful glow. See my CB nebula army for proof.)

Are we sure the snooping was disabled intentionally, and not just as a side-effect of some other feature?

The reason I'm asking that is because I'm wondering what the potential problem was with the snooping. If you had the time to check whether it was the one or other, the description was evidently not exactly hiding the most coveted breed.

Heck, even the dorsal and ridgewing alts were so-so as far as how much people were vying for them (and those have now become a real pain to look for the few occasions one is looking for them - I am genuinely not looking forward to when I next need an alt of either for some new lineage I'll pick up a couple of months from now, especially with how prohibitive the 5 hour CB cooldown is for me).

At most the reason I can think of is "it's not obvious to everyone, so the people who were doing it had an advantage over those who didn't know it was possible". In which case, this suggestion would totally even the playing field.

Since the descriptions affected evidently weren't affecting the most coveted breeds, I have to admit I don't think I fully understand why changing the egg descriptions for the duplicate subset of affected breeds would be much of an inconvenience. Most of us are not making armies with those breeds - we're probably looking up the description each time we decide "hey, let's grab more of X" when we want to grab one of them, anyway. The ones that are making armies, won't have much of a problem - a couple of cave visits and the new description's in their muscle memory. It's rather unlikely someone will snatch the egg out from under them as they learn.

:) So, yes, actually, I support this.

Affected:

- Flamingo / Pink (there is overlap)

- Horses / Frills

- Moonstones / Sunstones

- Ridgewing / Alt Ridgewing*

- Dorsal / Alt Dorsal*

(* = much as I just whined about these, I would accept if this is impossible, since they're the same breed - but technically it doesn't make much sense for it to be impossible if the eggs clearly can be distinguished by sight.)

I definitely don't support separate descriptions for alts! Alts have been a 'take the chance' thing for soooooo long and honestly I'd really rather that didn't change. I mean, in all honesty, how many people would actually pick up regular Dorsals/Ridgewings if they knew from the description that it had no chance of being an alt? I'm pretty positive I'm not the only one thinking that way. Alts in general don't have separate descriptions (Blacks, Vines, Gemshards/Nebulas, etc etc) and I don't see any reason why they *should*. They are the same breed. 

I can't speak for TJ of course but in my mind 'snooping' being disabled was simply an unfair loophole being closed. If these descriptions are the same on purpose, which it definitely seems they are, then an easy way to tell what they are without picking them up would be a negative thing. I know it's not exactly the same, but in my mind it's not totally different from new releases where we aren't supposed to give away information (breed name, adult sprite, etc) on the forums before TJ's grow up.... We aren't supposed to know ahead of time, that's all.

The Frill, Horse, and Sun/Moonstone descriptions are super annoying. Again, a simple colour in the egg description would help tremendously and I support it a lot.

I'm against separate egg descriptions for alts. But as for the other eggs that share descriptions not being able to tell them apart before you pick them up means more reason for you to be able to tell them apart not less

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Alts in general don't have separate descriptions (Blacks, Vines, Gemshards/Nebulas, etc etc) and I don't see any reason why they *should*. They are the same breed.

Sure, but, I mean, it's an egg description - the eggs look different. That seems like a pretty obvious reason why they should be described differently (not saying you need to agree with that reason, mind!). We can visually tell them apart (unlike blacks or vines - well, not that you can get CB alt blacks, or CB alt vines). It just baffles me that we somehow wouldn't be able to notice they look different in the cave, seeing as the descriptions are a visual description.

(Come to think of it, why are we allowed to tell them apart when we breed them, but not in the cave? On reflection, that seems odd. Anyone?)

In regards to picking up regulars, gotta out myself here, I very much prefer purple ridgewings to tans, so I definitely would pick up the regulars. XD (Though I am currently hoarding scripts, not ridgies, so neither purples nor tans are getting picked up at the moment!) My local statistics tell me I have 48 adult purple ridgewings, of which 17 are CB. I have 23 adult tans, of which 10 are CB (the higher CB ratio makes sense, since I don't breed them as much). I would say I have more than enough tans - barring some particular lineage find, I'd toss or trade any tans I click on - but the cap on the purples is infinity and beyond. Expect that number to grow, once I've had my fill of Scripts. *valiantly tries to calculate when I'll have infinity scripts* *...recognises the problem :D*

But, anyway, I figure one could have a similar concern about moonstones and sunstones. Moonstones are more popular. But does that mean no one is going to hoard sunstones? (Come to think of it, thinking out loud, does it matter? We've got plenty commons that just sit there. Would it matter which commons they are? Would it matter if the purple ridgewings sit there longer? I mean, I'm really glad the scripts tend to sit in the cave, I'd be really glad if the purple ridgewings just sat in the cave... XD makes them easy to hoard.)

But, at any rate, like I've said, despite my sighing about it, I'm not actually fussed about the alt descriptions. I admittedly wouldn't find it particularly self-consistent for them not to be adjusted if the other descriptions are adjusted, but I can absolutely live with the reasoning "no those are alts, they don't get to be described any differently". So this isn't me trying to argue that they need changing. Just that it would be consistent.