Moonlight_Eevee

Make Eggs Visible in Biomes

So, I'm going to divide this into two different threads, this one is specifically going to be designed around Sock's Suggestion:

Make the eggs visible to see

Which would mean that the eggs would no longer be question marks but have the actual egg shown. They will not lose their description in the biomes, meaning if you have slow internet and all it shows you are words, then you can memorise at least one word still for the description.

CellyBean's idea:

Make the egg visible to those who finished a breed Encyclopedia.

Edited by Dalek Raptor

I think it adds something to the game to have similar egg descriptions. For Flamingos/Pinks it forces you to be more careful about which biomes you hunt in. This is mostly true for your other examples as well: Skywings don't share a biome with any of those breeds, nor do Ochredrakes, so you're just left with Horses and Frills possibly getting confused.

For Horses/Frills, I could support changing the egg description or changing the biomes for either breed so that there is a unique biome. But I do not think that having similar egg descriptions is such a drawback in the other cases.

why not just change horse to "this purple egg has strange markings" and frill to "this green egg has strange markings"? the others are fine they way they are because as dew pointed out, biomes.

There's another "evil" pair. This egg resembles a glowing stone. Both are in the desert. :/

I'd support this. It really does nothing but fuel dislike towards whatever tends to be the more common / unpopular breed of the group, AND it's kind of an insult to the fact that we have eyes that we wouldn't be able to tell the difference. I know it's a gameplay element but, as said above, I think it's mostly a negative one.

7 minutes ago, olympe said:

There's another "evil" pair. This egg resembles a glowing stone. Both are in the desert. :/

I mean, that's definitely intentional -- they're sister breeds, aren't they? They're both -stones, and were released together, so they are supposed to have identical egg descriptions. I would be against changing that.

They are not "sister breeds", as they're not alike at all (save for the stone-like growth on their tails) and they cannot produce an egg of the other breed (unless bred with said other breed). So, in essence, they're just as different as Frills and Horses.

Right, but they were released together, their descriptions begin the exact same way, and according to the wiki they were also concepted together. They are, lore-wise, similar enough that the I think we can safely assume the identical egg description was absolutely designed to tie them together.

The creator of the Flamingo stated once that the egg desc was supposed to be something along the lines of "smells like shrimp" or something but TJ made it the same as Pinks after the creator had joking said that if he wanted to be mean he could make it the same.

Tangent aside, I'd support changing a lot of egg descs to fit in with newer ones better. We have more than 1 purple egg now, why are we still surprised by it?

I actually support them being the same and feel like it's something that's probably pretty intentional.

2 hours ago, Corteo said:

I actually support them being the same and feel like it's something that's probably pretty intentional.

Of course it was intentional. TJ didn't accidentally do this.

But that doesn't make it any less frustrating. There's so many breeds now that egg roulette is just a pain. It doesn't add anything to the game; its just an RNG punishment for trying to catch a certain common breed.

2 hours ago, Corteo said:

Well, all the other eggs I can see, but for the horse and frill could be changed a bit since they both share the biome and it's a 50/50 chance

I'd support similar descriptions. It's already bad enough with that IMHO. Like I still do a double take when seeing a Nebula egg description, always asking myself what the Silver description was like... And, of course, there are some others I tend to mix up - or used to. Still do when I'm in a hurry. Like "strange yellow stripes", which I used to mistake for Stripe eggs for some reason. Because "strange yellow stripes" actually describes what's on a Striped egg. XD Or before the Zyu release, where I had "shiny" (without any hyphens around) tagged as the sole indicator that this was a Kingcrowne.

With all of these (slightly annoying) similar descriptions, do we really need to have eggs that share a description? (Bright Pinks used to have the same as BSA pinks, too - but got a new one with their re-introduction as Arias.)

Personally I'd rather each egg had unique descriptions, even if they were similar but had slight differences in wording.

These examples were all purposefully designed that way fully knowing that it would annoy some users and 'impair' hunting, so I have pretty major doubts that any edit is going to happen.

I do prefer knowing what I'm picking up and wouldn't argue against new and different descriptions, though. Although, tbh, with more and more breeds in cave, I lean towards supporting getting rid of mystery eggs and just showing egg pics in cave. xP

48 minutes ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

.. Although, tbh, with more and more breeds in cave, I lean towards supporting getting rid of mystery eggs and just showing egg pics in cave. xP

If there are any changes, this would be my preference over changing the text.

Edited by Fiona BlueFire

1 hour ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

Although, tbh, with more and more breeds in cave, I lean towards supporting getting rid of mystery eggs and just showing egg pics in cave. xP

Oh my gosh, this would be so awesome!

After all, way back when, the egg description truly was a mystery unless you had already learned it somehow. And since fansites with the egg descriptions and pics were forbidden to actually keep the mystery... I think doing away with the mystery eggs on a whole will be a step in the same direction. 

I edited the title and put Sock's Suggestion up as I prefer it over the text as well

Ok, I know the idea has changed Personally I want the description changed on the markings eggs because it doesn't fit.  How does a single stripe(horse) consist of markingS?  Even the frill egg doesn't have multiple markings, just a single bit of orange.  It just feels like the eggs were shoehorned into the description to be intentionally frustrating.  I would personally like them changed even if mystery eggs no longer showed.

I'm sorry, but atm I'm not sure I can support this beyond the description change. It's hard enough to get rares as it is, how would this affect hunting for them? It's far easier to memorise an image than it is with a description, and while it might defeat bots for a while, they'll just find another way around it. Not only that, but how would it affect those of us with slower internet who can't always load images, like mine does on the 5 minute rotations? Especially if we went the "Just an image, no description" route like sites such as Magistream and VoU do?

Edited by SheridanCharon

Hmmmmm..... I'd be ok with either changing the descriptions or showing the eggs themselves.

But a note: by showing the eggs themselves, you'll be showing things like Tan vs Purple Ridgewings, Day or Night Glory, and such. So its not just the different eggs with same descriptions: its also the egg alts and such. 

Cheers!
C4. 

Since when are Day and Night Glory eggs looking different?

However, you're right about Ridgewings and Dorsals, though. :D We'd also be able to see which kind of Lunar Herald or Firegem there is at the moment. Considering it's still possible to find out via the /lineage/code method, I don't see it as that much of a problem.

1 hour ago, olympe said:

Since when are Day and Night Glory eggs looking different?

However, you're right about Ridgewings and Dorsals, though. :D We'd also be able to see which kind of Lunar Herald or Firegem there is at the moment. Considering it's still possible to find out via the /lineage/code method, I don't see it as that much of a problem.

Derp. I knew there was something I was mixing up..... Where's mah coffee???

ETA: Hitting ctrl+enter posts. *pokes forums. 

The rest of what I was gonna say was, Firegems and Lunar Heralds would be really nice to see, but..... Didn't I see somewhere that TJ shut down the /lineage for the Biome eggs? 

Cheers!
C4. 

Edited by cyradis4