Forsaken Rider of Dreams

Crystalline Curse

Gran groaned. Full on shaking of the head groaned. "You enjoy making these things difficult. Why couldn't you just say okay?" He muttered, more to himself than to Rosalia. Gran grabbed the crystal that was one the table and began to play with it between his fingers. "The government doesn't care about you Rosalia. To them, it would be easier if I killed you, but I don't feel like dirtying my blade on innocent blood." Gran stood, his eyes betraying his pain. "I am sorry Rosalia, but you don't have any cards to play. You have nothing to give me reason to deal." Gran turned and walked to the door were he stopped at a guard, "take her back to her cell." He glance a final look towards Rosalia, his eyes cold and emotionless, "if she fights, kill her."

Gran was walking through the halls of the building, still muttering to himself about how he hated his job. It didn't take him long to get back to where Karris was, all of the paperwork now sorted. She frowned when she saw his face but said nothing, which he appreciated. He sat at his desk and placed the crystal to the side. Pulling out a inkwell and pen, he grabbed the first sheet of many, and began to sign his name.

"As if you haven't already," Rose spat, voice low and eyes narrowed. As Gran walked away, the guard gathered up her chains and started shoving her around again, back towards her original location. She didn't fight but she did drag her heels, provoking the soldier to push and pull her repeatedly. While she suffered the treatment brought on by her own stuborness, she witnessed something the guard was too occupied to see.

Someone with a hood and mask easing the body of another soldier to the ground.

Sucking in air sharply, Rose watched the individual look up quickly, the barrol of a pistol following suit. Grunting, Rosalia jerked the soldier in front of her, using his body as a shield when the gun fired. Immediately, she started running and shouting echoed behind her.

There were more.

Guards startled as she ran past, ramming her shoulder into the gut of one and slamming him against the wall. The chains holding her wrists together was of a forgiving length, allowing her to fumble for the guard's gun in the moment of confusion. 

She wasn't sticking around though. She wanted her crystal and belongings and then she would be bailing.

Gran was sitting in the office that he and Karris had taken over. He was frustrated with himself, upset that he couldn't save Rosalia, upset that he was forced to come to this trash heap of a city. But most importantly, upset with what Rosalia had said. It wasn't like he was offended. No, he was upset because it was true. How could he say that he doesn't wish to take an innocents blood, when not but 12 hours earlier, he shot a man who was begging for his life?

Gran wasn't paying attention, and was genuinely surprised when Karris raised her hands. He looked up at her quizzedly, half wanting to call on her as if she was a school kid, when he felt the barrel of the pistol pushed to the back of his head. The intruder had very simple demands, weapons on the desk, and to do as he said. The man led Karris and Gran to the man room, there a large group of soldiers sat, gagged and bound. However, some soldiers were not gagged, but rather welcomed by the intruders.

Gran understood immediately, this was to be an execution, and they wanted the prisoners to be wearing full military honors, to show off their power probably. In the corner, there was a group of people, the ones in command probably. Two of them he recognized right away, the soldier was one who was with him earlier. Helped him catch Rosalia, the other, god help him, was the wife of the man he shot.

Rosalia heard footsteps, several of them. Pressing her back against the wall, she peered around the corner and frowned when she saw Gran and Karris, a gun held at their back by another masked figure. She slipped out behind them, darting into the room they vacated. There, on the desk, was Gran's assortment of weapons.

And her crystal. 

Quickly, she moved forward and snatched the prized item off the desk, pressing the broken wire back around the end of the mineral. It was a poor solution but the crystal held in place. Setting the chain against the surface of the desk, she placed the barrol of her stolen gun against the metal links and leaned away as best she could. Bracing herself, she fired a shot into the chain and the table beneath.

The chain broke from the impact of the bullet, flecks of hot metal spraying and bouncing against her skin. Hissing faintly, she shook off the lingering vibration in her fingers and hurried to find her bag. In the process, she grabbed the two pistols Gran left behind and stuffed them into her boots. Locating her bag, she slung it over her shoulder and left the room. 

Jogging, she went the opposite direction she'd seen Gran and Karris head. After a few moments, however, her pace slowed until she stopped completely. "Sometimes..." she started, mumbling to herself.

Growling in frustration with herself and shaking her head, she turned on her heel and started running to find the pair of soldiers.

Gran tried to look away as he was led into the large room. He was hoping the lady at least would not see him, not recognize him. It futile. He didn't get far before he heard her voice. The sound of sudden realization, and the feeling of dread over took him in an instant. Gran turned and skilled at the widow as she called out to him, not by name of course, but by rank. Which also, just so happens to be the highest rank in the building. Great.

The lady ran, no more like skipped her way over to Gran. She smiled, her eyes locked to his. "Now Capt'n its rude to not say hello to an old friend you haven't seen. Especially when you kill her husband." She threw three swift punches, each landing in the ribs. "I guess I shouldn't be too mad though, after all he was opposed to this plan, and if you would have let him live, none of this would have happened." The lady laughed, as did the others around her before they were stopped short.

Three shots rang out in quick session, two had hit soldiers near Gran, the other very closely flying by Gran's head. Every one dropped and turned. Rosalia was there, throwing two pistols. Why was she throwing the pistols? Gran wondered, before mad catching one, as it hit his chest. The other Karris caught, as smoothly as ever. Gran jumped up and looked around to take inventory. As he did so, he noticed one solder with a pistol pointed at Rosalia. Gran froze, for a moment he forgot about the pistol in his hand, instead unsure who to tackle.

This hesitation would haunt him forever. He had suddenly remembered his pistol, bringing it up and firing, but not until after the soldier had fired his. Karris was there of course, she was an excellent soldier. She pushed Rosalia down, leaping at her, and rolling away. Gran ran over to Rosalia first, briefly checking she was alive before realizing that Karris hadn't moved. It was unusual, Karris was always quick to get back on her feet. Gran walked over to her, his eyes drowning in held back tears. He didn't have to check for a pulse, the bullet had ripped through her left carotid, she had bled out in a mere seconds.

Rose was able to find them before anything happened - people talked too much. In quick succession, she fired off three rounds, one right after the other, as she turned into the room. Immediately, two soldiers were down, removing the limitations on Gran and Karris. Not waiting, she tossed the two extra pistols across the room and at the pair. 

She needed to keep moving. Her eyes swept to the other side of the room, landing on the gun aimed for her. Suddenly, the weapon was fired and she was tackled to the ground. Something warm hit the skin at her collarbone and throat while her head kisses the ground, aggravating her headache further.

As Gran ran towards her and Karris, Rose lifted her arm and aimed at the remaining soldier who was moving. She fired and missed then fired again, dropping the soldier to the ground. With a grunt, she rolled Karris' body off her and picked herself up. 

Grabbing Gran's arm, she started tugging. "We need to leave, now."

Gran stood silently. He reached for Rosalia's hand, gripping it in such a way to remover it from his arm. He held back his tears, his emotions. He was a professional, and as such, he began to search Karris's body. He pulled her rank and name tags. He then grabbed his other pistol from her hand and any possible weapon whether that was a hairclip filed down to be a knife, or a dagger hidden in her boot. The final thing he did, since her eyes were already closed, was to apologize.

It was a simple 'I'm sorry' not having time time to sit and wait. Gran had assumed that Rosalia would leave without him. He stood and firing twice at the people who have intruded into the facility. He went running through the halls, not looking back to see if Rosalia was following him. She either trusted him to lead them out or she wanted to get away, it was her choice. Gran removed his jacket, ditching it in the hall, and stopped to relieve a dead soldier of his sword. He bolstered both pistols, and clipped the sword to his belt before running off again. It was only then that he cursed himself for not grabbing the tan pants of a soldier to switch out.

When grab got outside, he dipped around an ally and wrestled his hair loose. It made him look younger, more of a street rat, if it wasn't for his pistols and pants.

She wanted to roll her eyes but, instead, she simply continued to frown. There wasn't time for sentimental goodbyes yet Gran seemed to insist on creating one. Probably, Rose figured, she should have just left. But she stayed anyways.

When he was finally done, he took off and she followed, trusting him to sort the best way out as she had been unconscious when they first entered the building. As they ran, Gran seemed to change up his appearance a little, likely to blend in better than before. Rose silently gave the man a point for critical thinking. Though, there wasn't much to be done about the recognizable pants at the moment.

Outside, the heat was still largely unbearable but the sun had moved to a much lower angle than before. In the ally, she slowed her pace and looked at the shackles still around her wrists and ankles. "Think you still got the keys to these? While I do like the bold fashion statement, I don't think many others will," Rose commented, arching an eyebrow. 

"What will you do now, Soldier? It seems like someone's trying to kick you out of the house."

Gran looked over to towards the entrance of the alley and sighed. He crossed over to a box where he sate and began rubbing his crystal, through his glove with his other hand. He had a few options at this point, but he wasn't sure which to take. Looking towards Rosalia, he smiled. "I suppose if I was going to do what the military wants me to do, I am about to walk back inside, summon, and slaughter everyone inside, traitor or not." Gran's eyes remained sharp, pensive. He was seriously thinking about his options. "But screw that. If I can remain hidden, and they can form a real leadership, they may live. The big bad leaders would be more upset about me dying than any rat of a lord who runs this trash heap."

"But!" Gran exclaimed, as he hit both knees with his hands and stood, "the very first thing I need to do is acquire a change of clothes. And I need to do this discreetly. Preferably steal them." Gran glanced back over to Rosalia, pausing with a slight frown, he figured he would be chasing her again very soon. The big boss people not going to want to let her get away. "What will you do? Are you going to try to leave the city, go on the run? I will be back again, but for now I owe you."

Smirking, Rose tapped her lips with a finger. "Let's make a deal, shall we?" she started, fluttering her eyes slightly. "I'll help you, if you help me. We both want out of this city but now the soldiers will be looking for us both. I'll help you get new clothes and get you to the docks but you need to help me get out without being caught," she proposed. Humming faintly, she touched her lips with two fingers a moment later. "Unless you want to return the favor later, I'll take it as soon as we're gone from Esthel. I'm looking for someone and I could use a little help in trying to find them. A life for a life, ya know?"

Gran raised an eyebrow, surprised at the proposals. Well one of the proposals. Helping her escape was pretty obvious. He had doubted that she would want to stay here, though probably for different reasons. He thought about it for a moment, or at least made it seem like he was thinking about it. He sighed, there was no reason for him to refuse honestly. Pride? Maybe, but not worth hassle. "The first deal I agree to.

"The second is a little bit harder for me to say okay to. If I help, you are going to have to go with me to the capital. And we will need to figure out someway to get you on to a military base, without alerting attention. Normal soldiers are easy, they won't question me. It is my superiors and other investigators that are an issue. I will be questioned, forced to stay in the city for a few days, maybe even a week. During that time however, I will try to sneak you into the libraries. They keep family records, maybe you can find something."

Gran shook his head with a chuckle. "I am surprised you made this offer. Your not going to be easy the second time I try to catch you are you?" Gran winked and smiled, "first things first, I need some pants and a shirt, preferable big enough to hide my pistols."

"Fine, I'll go with you to the capitol. As for sneaking around, you can let me worry about that," Rosalia stated. She wasn't certain if she'd be able to find anything in the records but it was well worth the chance in her opinion. Smiling coyly in response to his latter comment, she seemed to purr. "Now why would I do that, Soldier? Don't you enjoy a challenge?" she teased. 

Expression becoming serious once more, Rose nodded and motioned a finger for Gran to follow her. "I have just the place," she remarked before turning and walking down the ally. As they walked, she took her auburn hair down out of its bun, combing her fingers through. "So Big Boy, you got a family we need to pass notes along to?" she questioned idly, leading Gran down a few side streets. Occasionally, she slowed her pace to listen and peer around corners. A few times, they had to stop and wait for military folk to hurry past.

Gran couldn't help but let the uncertainty show in his face when she said that she can sneak around. "You sure, because I was able to catch you." He said in a half mumble, just loud enough to be heard if she was actually listening. When Rosalia started to walk off, Gran followed. He didn't have a choice after all, though he did feel like a lost dog. Grumbling about guard dogs versus normal dogs, Gran walked with a little more "back off" in his step. It also helped that he was highly armed. 

Gran was only half paying attention to the stopping and slowing and hiding. It was normal stuff for him, just part of a routine. His mind had fogged over when Rosalia asked about his family. He had started with a friendly "what here? In this dump? No way. " but as he started to say where they were, his tongue froze." After a bit, Gran finally finished his statement, "my family are all on base. Though none of them need a letter, they know if I see them, I've gone past anything anyone can fix."

Rose hummed quietly at Gran's response. She didn't say anything more - they had reached their destination. Tucked away in between bigger buildings, a tiny shack-like abode stood, as dull and brown as the land. The windows were poorly boarded, the planks of wood nailed into the wall at crooked angles. Pulling open the battered door, Rose slipped inside the dark house and shut the door once Gran had followed. 

"Make yourself at home. I'll be just a minute," she stated, disappearing into a hallway and then a second room. Overall, the house was sparsely furnished with a handful of chairs, a table, and a burnt out lamp. The kitchen was clear of items, though only a few dishes existed in the cabinets. She searched the bedroom, reaching her arm beneath the raised cot and locating the satchel. Made of worn and faded leather, it wasn't decorated beyond the blue and green dye. 

Walking back into the main room, she tossed the bag at Gran. "Spare clothes. They might be a size big but they should fit fine."

Gran frowned. He was used to the cushy life, where even the most run down shack was ten times better than the mud hole he was led to. He shouldn't complain really, she could have just left him for dead, and besides, its not her fault that the city was poor. Gran looked at the boarded windows and suddenly had an intense urge to start fixing them. The crooked boards let a little light in, but looked terrible. With a quiet groan, he followed Rosalia into the building.

Gran stood while he waited. He didn't want to risk sitting in a chair and it breaking on him. When Rosalia threw a dusty bag at him, he caught it by reflex, but still made a face as a cloud of dirt and dust escaped the bag. Before getting ready to change, he peered into the bag for two reasons, one making sure there wasn't some creature about to bite his hand off. The main reason however, was to make sure the change of clothes wasn't a dress or skirt. He felt sure Rosalia would do that to him.

Gran began to strip, removing his shirt and pants without second thought. He wasn't concerned about whether or not Rosalia was watching, telling himself that it was no different than the military barracks. "Tell me about this person we are supposed to find." Gran started, he was trying to make small talk, but he wanted small talk that mattered. Gran began to lace his boots together over the pants legs, in normal military fashion. He also grabbed his gun belt and put it on, pulling the strap tight, lending everything tight fitting. Finally Gran grabbed his new shirt and roses it over, he wore it loose to cover the pistols.

As soon as Gran snatched the thrown bag and started pulling at his shirt, Rose turned her back to him, allowing him privacy while he changed. At his words, she shrugged her shoulders. "No one of importance to you. He's a... friend, of mine," she stated, pausing as if 'friend' might not be the right word to use. Which, in truth, it wasn't but Gran didn't need to know if the 'he' was really friend or foe to her. "Last I heard, he was located in Norhill, a small town just west of the port city, Hemph." Which was all South of the capital of Pedan. 

Turning back around when it seemed like Gran was done changing, Rose seemed to hesitate for just a moment. Blinking the strange expression away, she smirked only a heartbeat later. "Good, the clothes fit you, mostly. Are you ready to go then? I know where we can get a pair of horses and some supplies," she informed him.

Gran wasn't paying attention to Rose when she made her expression. He did not even notice the hesitation because he was not looking at her, so he did not know that she had turned around. Gran looked around at the home once more, a feeling gnawing at the back of his mind. "Hey, is this house yours? It is fairly small, but considering what I have seen everyone else use, seems fairly nice." Nice, that was an overwhelmingly grand word to describe the shack Gran found himself in, but there is no reason to irritate the one saving his life. It was odd however, that she would have these clothes, obviously fit for a man, and much too large for her to use as a disguise. "This... friend," Gran said, slowing down the word friend, as if it held meaning he did not understand. "Is he the one that these clothes belong to?" Gran pulled at his shirt, well not his shirt exactly, but the shirt. He sighed before continuing, "they remind me of my training clothes. However, and I do not mean this to be rude, I am not used to poor clothes like this. I will need you to take me shopping, show me the type of clothes I should be wearing to blend in better in the small towns."

Gran frowned when Rose mentioned the horses. "You really think that we need horses? The canal barges are faster, if going by horse takes a week, it would only be three or four days by barge." He was not going to argue with her decision, after all Rose knows the most about the place, however he did not understand extending the trip when it is not needed. That and Gran was ready to be home with a nice bath and clean clothes. On top of all of that, he could not but help feel somewhat hopeful that Rose would pick the horses. After all that means more time away from the judgmental subordinates waiting for him.

Glancing away from him, her gaze swept across the bare room. "No," she stated after a couple heartbeats. "This isn't mine...," Rose answered. Shaking her head, she played with some of her hair, idly twisting the strands before letting them go a moment later. "Yeah, those belong to my friend. But he's clearly not using them. We'll get you new clothes but, if you want to blend in and stay below the radar, you'll just have to get used to the style," Rose explained, smirking. "Rats go ignored in the streets. Though, if you're looking to be treated with some human decency, then better clothes would be in order. Which do you prefer?" she questioned.

"You've got good reasoning, soldier," Rose responded, smirk returning. "However, the barges almost always have a couple guards as of lately and horses allow us a better chance at escape should we get into trouble. Even if it's only a few days, I don't think we could manage to evade the guards in such a limited amount of space for very long," she explained. Waving dismissively with her hand, she motioned for Gran to start moving out of the dirty shack. "Come on. We can talk about what to do on our way out." She slipped out through the battered door without waiting a moment longer.

Gran frowned. He was not sure what exactly was going on, but it was clear that Rose was holding something back. He could tell by the fluctuations in her voice, the hesitation. Gran decided to ignore it however, not wanting to bring it up and have to deal with an emotionally charged fellow run-away. Besides, she had respected his wishes and remained silent as he remembered his family. Gran followed Rose silently, mulling over his thoughts and what she said.

Gran finally sighed and muttered an agreement with her reasoning. He was not used to having to watch out for guards. Especially for his own guards. "So, if my new nickname is Soldier, I think I am going to call you Rose." Gran knew the nickname wasn't creative, but he was a soldier, he never claimed to be creative.

"That's what they call me, soldier," Rose winked at him. Leading Gran through the streets once more, she weaved her way to a mostly out-of-the-way stable where a portly looking man was tossing hay over the wall of one stall. Three horses nickered, snorted, or made various other sounds from where they stood. "Gubber!" Rose called, catching the man's attention.

He grinned at her, his grey apron covered in dirt and wrinkles. Dark eyes examined her as Gubber ran a meaty hand through his ruffled brown hair. "Ay, Rosy! What che up to lass-y?" the man greeted, wiping his hands across his apron and tunic before reaching out to hug Rosalia.

She slipped out of his reach, twisting around until she was behind him, guiding his arm towards Gran as she spoke. "Good to see you too, Gubber! This is an acquaintance of mine... Lucas," she introduced, not even missing a beat. 

"Oh! Nice to meet che, Lucas! Ya new here?" Gubber questioned.

"Yes but he won't be staying long and neither will I be. You got horses for us?" Rose spoke up, keeping Gubber's attention moving from one thing to another. As fond of Gubber as she was, Rose didn't have time to spare on the man's conversational tendencies.

Pausing, Gubber tilted his head as he studied Rose, a serious expression flickering across his face. "Ye've got somethin'... Don't ya?" he murmured, his brow wrinkling with a frown. Standing a little straighter, he nodded once and motioned towards the trio of horses. "I got a few lovelies - two mares and a stallion. The boy's a lot more stubborn than the ladies but they're all sweets. And they're fast. They'll get ya to where ya need to go, no problem," he informed.

"Great. We'll take any two you want to give us. I've got some coin on me now but I'll have to give you the rest at another time," Rose explained. 

Gubber nodded once again. "I'll take a quarter payment. I trust ye and I'll get back to you for the rest later." While Rosalia dug for the coins in her pouch, the man grabbed a pair of bridles and reigns, gearing up the stallion and one of the mares. Guiding the pair towards Rose and Gran, Gubber traded reigns for coin before grabbing saddles off the hooks that mounted the far wall. "Spirit and Stormfly here will take care of ye both but ya gotta have decent gear if ya want to take care o' them!" Gubber grunted.

Rose took the white and grey dappled mare, passing the stallion over to Gran. "Spirit, huh?" Rose mumbled. "Don't suppose their names are a must keep?" she questioned, smirking as Gubber rolled his eyes.

"Rosy! Ye know not to go changin' their names!"

"Ay, ay," Rose laughed, testing the belt of the saddle and the stirrups before pulling herself up onto Spirit's back. Still, she leaned down towards Gran and quickly mumbled. "I won't tell on you if you want to change the name."

Sitting up again, she looked over to Gubber as the man reached for her hand and squeezed tightly. "Bring him home, Rosy. Ya here? Bring that boy back." Rose nodded and Gubber quickly kissed her hand before letting go.

Looking over at Gran to see if he was set, Rose nudged the mare into motion.

Gran remained silent throughout the entire transaction, his face betraying little emotion. He had half the mind to just pull his sword out and demand from the man the horses. That was the normal route that Gran took, confiscation.  However, Gran did not wish to interfere with Rose's negotiations. She seemed to know exactly what she was doing, and was doing it well. That said, the fact that they could be discovered, is a real possibility. Gran studied the man's dirty apron and cheery face. He watched Rose sidestep the man, and still force the conversation her way. Gran smiled at the name that Rose had used for him. Lucas reminded him of a kid for some reason. It made him think about running through the forest when he was a kid, and getting in trouble with his parents.

The stallion was a almost grey black, the white patterns stark against the horse, like the stars in the dusk night sky. The saddle was a simple saddle, which was fine with Gran. He had to fumble with the saddle, the horse not wanting to remain still, and it having been years since he had to set his own saddle. Starfire? Or was it stormfire? Stormfly? Gran grunted in acknowledgment to Rose. He mounted the saddle, leaning down to rub the stallions neck and its chin, as it reared slightly. "Do not worry," he muttered silently to the stallion's ear, "I will make sure to give you a proper name soon." The stallion simply shook his head, seemingly as if he understood Gran. 

Following Rose, it took an hour or so of coaxing, grumbling, and begging before the Stallion final began to listen to his directions. He would constantly walk off the path and Gran would have to fight to get him to ignore whatever food caught his attention. The trip was finally picking up. The pair was following the canal at the start, staying far enough away to remain hidden, but close enough to make the trip easier. 

Edited by Forsaken Rider of Dreams

They had snatched up some food just before leaving the town, each of them tying a bag to their saddle. Rose led the way at first as Gran's horse seemed against the idea of where the duo were heading. Eventually, however, the stallion behaved himself and the pair could ride almost side-by-side. Several hours after leaving Esthel, they started their way inward from the coast and towards the capital. In the first couple of days, Rose was less inclined for conversation, her attention focused on the road ahead and the environment surrounding them. It was dull though. Camp was made whenever it grew dark and they could steer off the trail. When dawn broke, they packed up and started moving once more.

Day three was hot and bright, the flat expanse of grassy land slowly yielding to the uneven tapestry of flowering hills. Rose eased Spirit to a trot, examining the curves of the land and swaying colors. "I haven't been this way in awhile," Rose commented, smiling faintly in appreciation. A snort reached her ears, coming from Spirit's nostrils as the horse started to balk. Frowning, Rose nudged the mare with her heels, trying to coax the horse to continue forward. "Spirit? Cut it out. Wha-"

There was a snarl and Rose caught a glimpse of what was spooking the mare. The puma darted away as Spirit reared and stomped down with her fore-hooves, squealing at the creature for only a moment. "Easy, easy!" Rose soothed, regaining her wits and rubbing the side of the mare's neck. "Blasted cat," Rose muttered, frowning still.

She felt the pain race through her left arm a heartbeat after she heard the gunshot. 

Spirit spooked again, this time tossing Rose off her back when she reared. However, Rose's foot was caught in the stirrup, resulting in her shoulders and head hitting the ground while the rest of her body remained in the air. Grunting, she blinked through the dizziness as two more gunshots echoed through the air. "Gran!" she started, breathless. 

Managing to grab a hold of the reigns, she kicked her foot free and staggered in her attempt to stand up. At least Spirit wasn't making a break for it, yet.

Shouting reached her ears and she uttered a string of curses. Raiders were not fun to deal with. She fumbled for the gun tucked away in her boot, her eyes unfocused with pain. Finally, she pulled the weapon free and fired at the best figure she could make out. 

Gran was in a field not far from Rose. He had reached a compromise with the stallion, letting it stop and eat every now and then. He still had not thought of a proper name for the horse, though he refused to call it by its given name. The stallion was starting to grow on Gran, the defiant confidence glittering in the horse's eyes spoke volumes of its character. Gran heard a horse squeal and a muffled pop. He looked in the general direction of the sound, curious in Rose just fell off her horse. He chuckled.

Two more shots echoed through the wilderness and suddenly Gran was on the move. He had remained close enough to hear Rose shout, but he had not been concerned for her safety, figuring she could take care of herself. He was pushing the stallion hard, but at the third gunshot he pushed harder. Gran was determined to keep Rose from being killed. He may not be a bodyguard, but he will be dammed if his travel companion died on his watch.

Gran shot out of the tree line and onto the road, not but 10 yards from Rose. He ignored her, barreling past her and the mare. The Raider, seeing Gran coming at full speed, made an executive decision to move, doing this left his buddy behind him open for attack. Gran pulled out his sword, and one gun. He swung his sword in a downward arc, the momentum and sharpness carrying it from the man's coratid artery, across his chest, and through his lower rib. Gran spun the horse, taking a shot at the first raider.

Edited by Forsaken Rider of Dreams

Her vision was finally clear. Gran had raced by her, slicing down a raider with his sword and aiming at the other. The man that remained ducked out of the way, darting around Gran's horse to approach again at a different angle.

Rose tried to follow with her gun, taking a shot as the raider moved, but missed. Muttering under her breath again, she quickly climbed back into Spirit's saddle and reached for the reigns. Someone grabbed the back of her clothes, throwing her back onto the ground and kicking her gun away. Grunting from the pain, she rolled away from where she perceived her attacker to be before scrambling to her feet. 

A barrel stared her in the face.

"Hold it!" the raider ordered, dark eyes studying Rose just as she studied him in turn. Though he watched her, his words were for Gran. "Let's settle this like gentlemen, shall we? Don't want the lady hurt, do you?" His voice was gruff as if dust filled his throat. On the shorter side, he barely reached Rose's height but she knew better than to laugh at the one holding a gun in her face. Dirty hair fell across his brow, the unruly strands showing little of the light color it possessed. The man's skin looked sunburnt, patches of red covering where flesh was visible. 

Frowning, Rose kept her hands visible but carefully placed one on her hip. "What do you want?" she questioned.

Gran's round entered the eye of one of the raiders, blasting a hole open in the man's skull. He stood there silently, his breathing a tad fast, but well controlled. He looked down at the raider who held Rose at gun point with a stoic expression. The only break in his bearing being the fleeting glimpse he took at Rose. Underneath Gran, the stallion snorted, pawing at the ground with one hoove, determined to show its displeasure.

Gran swung his arm over, aiming the gun at the raider before speaking. "You have the audacity to challenge me to a gentleman's duel, and yet your little band of three decided to attack a young woman. Did you percieve her as being alone when you planned the attack? What do you want raider, and speak quickly and truthfully for your gutterborn lies will try my patience." Gutterborn... Gran hated that word. It was an insult created by the minor lords and ladies or the country. Some sort of self-righteous jargon that he didn't quite understand. One thing he does understand is its meaning.

Although he could be considered equivalent to a minor lord at this point, because of military honors, he was still born to a farmer. Gran threw his sword into the ground next to him, and used his now free hand to grab the reigns and make the stallion shuffle to the side to face the raider more directly. "Rose, are you ok? Are you hurt anywhere?"