TJ09

2017-07-02 - Forum Updates

Was finally able to change my username to something more recent haha. The old one I made when I was like... 11 or something?

I'm probably planning on using a custom Stylish theme so I'm not blasted with as much white as it is right now.

Edited by s̷̕͟ʜ̢ᴏ̛̀̕͟ᴅ҉̶ᴀ̴̸̢̕ɴ̶͘

I'm amazed that your "edited by" name looks somewhat differently "fonted" ...

It was using smallcaps characters. I just knew it was something that was possible since when searching the member list a long time ago I'd see a lot of strange characters in usernames. Didn't think to ask about it actually. Whoops. What I do know is it really played horribly with the profile URL. It was extremely long.

At any rate, new forum will take a bit of getting used to, but I don't get on daily enough to be too concerned about it. Glad for the update, though.

Edited by SHODAN

Honestly I'm just hoping that there's a dark skin planned soon; this much white is going to hurt in the dark. :'D

Gonna take some getting used to, but I think I'll get there eventually. Definitely not fond of the new PM thing, though. SO hard to read in such a tiny area. Deleting everything I already deleted YEARS ago is gonna be a chore. Sigh...

With the username changes you can't find people who changed their names in "search members" if you don't know their new name :/

It would be the best if old usernames would be retired and people could still find you by old and new usernames if they went to search for you :S

Imagine if someone comes back from a very long hiatus and don't have a PM and they know their friend doesn't post much so they won't be able to find them now :(

oh wow i hate the PM box now.... some of the coding is weird now too? looks nice tho :)

Seeing you here reminds me ... people (and threads) with black lists should probably update them quickly to contain user ids instead of names.

I'm.....eh, about the update. I mean, it's an update. Things look a bit different, but not in a bad way. Mostly, it looks alright.

I just really hope we get something similar to the white/blue forum design the old forums had, because the one with the pure white on the cave background is not good on my eyes, AT ALL. And the new PM system is...well. It's completely and utterly vile. It's an awful text-message-style conversation. If I wanted to do messages like that, I'd just use Facebook. Really going to be put off doing PM trades with that, now.

Edited by CharonDusk

Really hoping we get a BBCode editor in addition... WYSWIG (or whatever it is) is really hard to use when you make a coding error, plus it's a lot easier to close, say, URLs or colours on, and editing posts doesn't give as many functions in WYSWIG, so say you edit a post with a colour/url, all the text after that is in the colour/URL and it's difficult to turn off. Plus I miss being able to code on-forum with URLs and seeing plus editing the BBCode....

Glad to see the forum is working better, quick question:
Will we get our "floral/pink" theme back?

Thanks TJ for all your hard work. Also I can now use my new username instead of the depreciated username I've been using since I was like 12.

Do we still have a limit on how many messages we can keep in our total folders?

2 minutes ago, rika84 said:

Do we still have a limit on how many messages we can keep in our total folders?

21 hours ago, TJ09 said:

PM capacity is currently unlimited due to the conversion leaving way more messages than people previously had. I will slowly add a cap and reduce it down to about 1000 (5x the original cap). This may not happen until after I get a chance to add "proper" management tools (such as archiving).

^^

11 hours ago, ainisarie said:

I am trying to get used to the PM system, but I really really dislike it.  If it was a full page, like the older one, it would be more manageable.  As it is, you have to keep scrolling and scrolling down that tiny little column to find what you want.  And deleting the old, previously deleted things is a true PITA.

same here, it's driving me nuts. i liked the old whole page much better. i find it really difficult to locate older pms.

16 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

Emoticons should be back. (y)

Yesss, my precious alot! <3 Thanks, Teej!

1 hour ago, TJ09 said:

Emoticons should be back. (y)

This is great, I missed those!

Thank you TJ! Using text for emojis looked very weird. :blush:

52 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

This is great, I missed those!

Thank you TJ! Using text for emojis looked very weird. :blush:

To be fair, real emoji are also a thing: 😳

9 hours ago, DuskOfTheStars said:

WYSWIG (or whatever it is)

WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get :) Refers to the fact that you don't see the code, only the readily formatted result.

Man, I seriously will have to cease using site AND forum on my 2nd machine ... this having to log on twice a day on BOTH quite annoys me ...

First of all, great job here. I haven't entirely figured out everything here but it looks pretty good. I do have a question though. With the old forum software previewing a post was a thing I used a lot to make sure things looked the way I wanted before I hit <ENTER>. I don't see that with this new software. Am I simply blind or is Preview not a thing anymore?

In the button bar above the input field, the rightmost button is it. Might be different on mobile?

On mobile it's next to the Size button with a little magnify glass over a piece of paper.

I'm still curious about seeing other people's name changes other than our own.