TJ09

2017-07-02 - Forum Updates

Thanks for letting us know about the update and bugs, TJ! :)

This is going to sound a little bit pedantic and I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned it, but it's getting on my nerves a lot that there's no space after the "Location:" field in the side bar. And that it appears to be a different colour to the joined/posts sections. Once the major functionality issues are resolved, could some of these aesthetic things please be considered? Thank you!

Edited by StormWizard212

Looks nice! Althought it might take me a while to get use to this new forum.

ETA: Looks like we need to adjust the signature since the box is wider now.

Edited by Shelybear

Ohh, this is interesting! So many options - I do like the stuff that pops up in quick reply, instead of me having to go to the main reply page.

Echoing some of the others in hoping that a theme that isn't black but isn't white either in the comment boxes returns, but for now I'm just going to focus on getting used to this :) Thanks for all your work on this, TJ and others!

20 hours ago, SHODAN said:

Was finally able to change my username to something more recent haha. The old one I made when I was like... 11 or something?

I'm probably planning on using a custom Stylish theme so I'm not blasted with as much white as it is right now.

Who did you used to be?  Some people I have figured out, some not.:huh:

I actually like this update :3 Takes some getting used to for sure, but still, that's to be expected I assume (especially the now round avatars XD ) :3

I don't like new design, at least before I could use old themes, now there is only this one...

I really hope after all the bugs listed are fixed, we'll get options to change the theme coz I have difficulty reading English sentences on white background. ^_^
Thanks for the updates though. I'm sure it was done for a good reason. :lol:

I like the new look. There are things to get used to, but I look at it as simple exercise to maintain brain plasticity. The loss of functionality in the message feature, however, is abhorrent! Perhaps I need some primer to go along with it to figure out how to make it as helpful and simple as the previous version.  

I received a pop up this morning when I came in. It seemed to suggest I had a new message.  I clicked the envelope icon labeled message, but see nothing new. I tried the inbox link and clicked around several things. I never found anything new or a anything bearing the user name in the popup. If someone sent me a message, I apologize, but I can not find it in this message system.

Is it possible to have message tracking anymore? That was extremely helpful with trading.  If a person had read my message, but did not reply in a day, I began looking at other options. If I could see they had not picked up the message I waited. I know life gets busy and games are not always the priority. ;)

45 minutes ago, Helel said:

I don't like new design, at least before I could use old themes, now there is only this one...

If you go down to the very bottom of the page there are two themes to choose from. Not quite as nice as the old ones but there is a choice!

How does the "about me" section under account settings work? I can't see it anywhere in my profile.

47 minutes ago, lilbird said:

I like the new look. There are things to get used to, but I look at it as simple exercise to maintain brain plasticity. The loss of functionality in the message feature, however, is abhorrent! Perhaps I need some primer to go along with it to figure out how to make it as helpful and simple as the previous version.  

I received a pop up this morning when I came in. It seemed to suggest I had a new message.  I clicked the envelope icon labeled message, but see nothing new. I tried the inbox link and clicked around several things. I never found anything new or a anything bearing the user name in the popup. If someone sent me a message, I apologize, but I can not find it in this message system.

Is it possible to have message tracking anymore? That was extremely helpful with trading.  If a person had read my message, but did not reply in a day, I began looking at other options. If I could see they had not picked up the message I waited. I know life gets busy and games are not always the priority. ;)

I agree with you that the functionality of the new message system leaves a great deal to be desired. I like your word -- abhorrent!

Is it possible that the pop up you got this morning was not a message, but a notification? There is a little bell right beside the envelope at the top. Clicking on that shows your notifications, which are separate from the messages.

Message tracking seems to sort of happen automatically. If you click on the message on your list, it will show you when, or if, the message was read. It also has a little arrow dropdown beside the recipient's name with an option to remove them from the "conversation" which I think may act the same as deleting an unread message in the old system. I haven't tried it yet to see because the only unread message I have is one that I don't want to cancel.

20 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

I agree with you that the functionality of the new message system leaves a great deal to be desired. I like your word -- abhorrent!

Is it possible that the pop up you got this morning was not a message, but a notification? There is a little bell right beside the envelope at the top. Clicking on that shows your notifications, which are separate from the messages.

Message tracking seems to sort of happen automatically. If you click on the message on your list, it will show you when, or if, the message was read. It also has a little arrow dropdown beside the recipient's name with an option to remove them from the "conversation" which I think may act the same as deleting an unread message in the old system. I haven't tried it yet to see because the only unread message I have is one that I don't want to cancel.

Thank you, purolehaze! That is indeed illuminating about message tracking. Sometimes I do need a nudge to see the obvious.   ;)

I am quite open to the possibility the popup this morning was not a new message notification. I was kicking myself at the time for not taking a screen shot so I could look at it again.  If that is the case, I don't know what it was. I did look at the notifications while I was poking around this morning. There was nothing listed there.  The only thing listed there now is a notification your your reply to my previous post.

Thank you again. :)

This is definitely going to take some getting used to... I'm very, very sad that the "winter" theme is no longer available, as that was the only one that didn't hurt my eyes. I note that I'm not the only one who's eyes hurt with this glaringly white background.

The PM system is *horrid*. Whhhhyyyyyyy such a small inbox??? It makes no sense! It's so tiny and hard to read! And whhhhyyyyy are messages I deleted years ago suddenly reappearing? That is *very* frustrating!

I was sooo busy for the past few days and when I got back into the forums recently I was really impressed. I really love how the text box changed!

I just wish I can still log into multiple devices so I don't have to keep on logging in from here and there, but in general, the update felt like an awesome surprise. Thanks! 😊

OMG! The ability to change my profile name makes the trouble figuring everything out completely worth it! After a few run-ins with view bombers, it is a really nice option to be able to unlink forum profile and scroll name when wanted. 

I have figured out where most things are, though is there a way to do posts using just BBCode rather than the editor? I hate editors. They always put in stupid, giant paragraph breaks I don't want. I would rather just type it up myself and do any BBCode needed for images and links, etc. 

Also, is there a way to make the PM box just have the subject line again? It's so much easier to look at everything that way, when there's not the message preview. I don't mind that it is Outlook style, in that the messages all are on a scroll box on the side and the one you open is in its own frame. It would just be nice to see the dates and subject lines all together without having to scroll left and right. 

Love the look so far, but I'm still getting multiple emails a day from the forums. I've changed my notifications to only email me once a week at this point, but I'm still being flooded with emails daily. I should show you my inbox. Its insane. 

4 minutes ago, redwolf said:

Love the look so far, but I'm still getting multiple emails a day from the forums. I've changed my notifications to only email me once a week at this point, but I'm still being flooded with emails daily. I should show you my inbox. Its i****e. 

Maybe do a hard refresh and re-check your preferences?

Liking this new forum so far! It'll take time getting used to, although I'm already familiar with this forum engine. I just hope stuff like artist icons and thread descriptions will also make a comeback :)

My only regret though is that I can no longer be logged into the forums on more than one device. Basically I'm logged on the computer but not on the phone and as soon as I log in from the phone, I get logged out on the computer and have to log in again if I wish to check for new posts and such on the computer. This is personally a big hassle, I was so used to being logged in on both devices and I could quickly check the forums from either without worrying about having to log in every time I visit the forums on a different device... 

9 hours ago, Ribombee said:

They always put in stupid, giant paragraph breaks I don't want.

Use [shift]+[enter] instead of just [enter]
to get the regular linebreak and not a

new paragraph.

6 hours ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

Maybe do a hard refresh and re-check your preferences?

I completely shut my computer down every day and have checked and/or changed my preferences at least 4 times since the change.

5 hours ago, Eggy0 said:

Liking this new forum so far! It'll take time getting used to, although I'm already familiar with this forum engine. I just hope stuff like artist icons and thread descriptions will also make a comeback :)

My only regret though is that I can no longer be logged into the forums on more than one device. Basically I'm logged on the computer but not on the phone and as soon as I log in from the phone, I get logged out on the computer and have to log in again if I wish to check for new posts and such on the computer. This is personally a big hassle, I was so used to being logged in on both devices and I could quickly check the forums from either without worrying about having to log in every time I visit the forums on a different device... 

I've seen a few people mentioning the same thing but I'm not experiencing this problem. I switch between devices without needing to log in over and over. Do you have the 'remember me' option checked?

2 minutes ago, ValidEmotions said:

Do you have the 'remember me' option checked?

Yes, and it does not help.

Just now, Ruby Eyes said:

Yes, and it does not help.

That's very weird. Sorry, I'm not tech enough to know possible solutions beyond that :'D

Just like some of the others, it'll just take some getting use to. Glad the bugs are sorted out now though, especially the lag we had for a bit.

5 hours ago, ValidEmotions said:

That's very weird. Sorry, I'm not tech enough to know possible solutions beyond that :'D

Eh, not your fault, thanks for trying :)

And I just realized you're Narvix XD Oh my, those name changes ...