TJ09

2017-07-02 - Forum Updates

3 minutes ago, daba555 said:

I dislike change just for the sake of change.  I am aware there were issues, tho.  I still don't like it.

For one thing, it takes so much more work to get to a message.  I have seen where other stuff has been lost, and my sympathies to those with huge wish lists, iou lists, etc.

For another thing, I have had to keep a close watch on how close I was to filling my mailbox and not being able to get messages.  I liked when I clicked on my inbox, and I could just see everything.  Now I can't.

Has the limit been increased where we can get more pms or not?  If not I might as well give up now.  I can only track who I promised what to and who did me favors or was just plain nice to me by keeping those emails.  I was probably about 5 messages away all the time from not being able to get more.  So I am hoping for some good news as far as limits...

I don't remember what the old limit was (never paid attention). However, the limit that I saw now is 300 messages.

36 minutes ago, Toyo said:

Still trying to figure out profile stuff. Our profile notes seem to have gone into "interests." There also seems to be an "about .e" section. Where should I put breeding info, iou lists, wishlist, etc?

At the moment, the About Me section doesn't seem to be visible to other users. So anything private could potentially go there (although I'm not sure if the visibility will be changed once everything is finished processing), while anything you want others to see should go in interests.

36 minutes ago, StormBirdRising said:

I just used it on a post and it does work, when you hit the "hide" selection a pop up comes up and you have to type a reason for hiding it. Interesting.

I don't think you have to select a reason. I haven't seen any post (except those I've hidden) that had a reason for hiding them, and I've seen quite a few hidden posts.

35 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

If a person changes their username, do they still get PMs directed to the old username? I'm just asking because I keep track of usernames for holiday IOUs and I don't want people to miss out because they have updated their username and I don't have it. I also am still wondering when the about section of our profiles will show up. 

I would guess no, that a user has to have your current username, since the profile url has the most current name. But I'm still at overcapacity, so I can't test at the moment. =U

28 minutes ago, Kigyptnee said:

Quick question: How do I log in as an anonymous user (I prefer not having my username show up at the bottom in the who's online section). I tried clicking the checkbox for sign in anonymously when logging in, but it doesn't seem to affect anything... is there a step I am missing?

You do it the same as before, just like you did this time. Only now you can see that you are online. However, other users should not be able to see you.

3 minutes ago, daba555 said:

Has the limit been increased where we can get more pms or not?  If not I might as well give up now.  I can only track who I promised what to and who did me favors or was just plain nice to me by keeping those emails.  I was probably about 5 messages away all the time from not being able to get more.  So I am hoping for some good news as far as limits...

We're not sure yet. Some users see a capacity in their inbox; others don't, so I think we'll find this out for sure either when PMs are finished processing or TJ comes on to answer. ^^

1 hour ago, Kigyptnee said:

Feels like a brand new forum. Going to have to poke around a bit and explore all the features. It's going to take a while to get used to, I think.

Quick question: How do I log in as an anonymous user (I prefer not having my username show up at the bottom in the who's online section). I tried clicking the checkbox for sign in anonymously when logging in, but it doesn't seem to affect anything... is there a step I am missing?

I definitely agree with the first part. I'm pretty sure I entered my password correctly, but couldn't log in; I had to reset it. Could be user error, though.

Checking the box should do it. Sounds like a bug.

Notification settings should be properly editable, and the defaults changed to send fewer emails. I don't know if the defaults affect new members or anyone who hasn't already customized their notification settings.

PM capacity is currently unlimited due to the conversion leaving way more messages than people previously had. I will slowly add a cap and reduce it down to about 1000 (5x the original cap). This may not happen until after I get a chance to add "proper" management tools (such as archiving).

Ooooooh my! These new forums look really nice and super clean and official looking. I like them! =3

Wow I have PMs from 8 years ago. All those people that deleted their PMs by accident are going to be happy.

I love the new forums, very shiny. Looking forward to seeing it in all its glory when the bugs are stomped.

1. If I want to move to the next page in topic, I have to scroll up and press next page. Plz, add this option also on the bottom of the page

2. how can I change signature

3. where is list of friends (only option to see ignored players). As it was befor. I don't know exactly, how option was called. But you could found it in PM options. As I sadi, I had written some IOUs in itt and it has all gone.

4. is it possible to see former names of players who changet their names. BTW, it is rather stupid to change the name and not to tell at least to friends. My opinion of course.

I miss old forum too. But " c'est la vie"

4 minutes ago, MIGOR said:

1. If I want to move to the next page in topic, I have to scroll up and press next page. Plz, add this option also on the bottom of the page

2. how can I change signature

4. is it possible to see former names of players who changet their names.

1. There already is an option? I even checked both themes. It's on the left side under the last post, just like up top where it's on the left side above the first post.

2. Go to your profile and Edit Profile. You might have difficulty editing as you want until signatures have completely finished processing, so you might want to wait a while.

4. No, that is not currently an option/enabled on the forum.

I must be blind...or it is free in the morning :D Now I can see "next page". Thank you for the answers,SockPuppet Strangler

Still waiting for "friends list". :(

i'm really happy for all the people who love the new forums. unfortunately, in their current state the changes are making things difficult for me. count me among the ranks of those who lost wish lists and iou lists. the return of hundreds of pm's i had deleted on purpose is making it frustrating to go through for the ones i kept on purpose (not to mention that i have physical limitations that make it nearly impossible).

also, i feel really stupid... but how do i edit my signature? i need to delete it, as the offer of breeding for free is off the table until i can get current iou's sorted out. :/ i have clicked "edit profile" and my signature doesn't show up there, as far as i can tell?

edit: nm, i found it!

Edited by miaou

Notepad should be back as a private profile field. It's not the best solution, but it at least means the content isn't gone.

I wonder if the avatars are going to return to their original sizes? If I remember correctly, they used to be 100x100 pixels but are now 90x90 pixels that feels really small for some reason. I apologize for complaining about such a small thing.

Thank you for the work and getting to a more up-to-date forum. I appreciate all the work you've done. Forums are loading faster. I haven't tested everything on mobile yet, but will let you know if I have issues. 

So far, only one issue I can see:
dragonForumSiggyUpdate.jpg.23192d07f6ace79ff3addef74fa10a91.jpg

I assume the server needs to cache this info. Meanwhile, I cannot edit out the images from Magistream (as the puvia are obviously grown).

Will give it a day or so and try to edit again. Otherwise, I believe my main images (in the top row, and those are the ones throwing the error) do fit the guidelines.

A hui hou.

Edited by Zoa

Same problem with the cyclers, so I'm stuck with a signature without linebreaks, wherever they may have gone to:

Unable to retrieve signature image dimensions for http://leviathan.thorngale.net/lunar/shoko.png, please try another image. and Unable to retrieve signature image dimensions for https://leviathan.thorngale.net/firegem/firegem.png, please try another image.

edit: I've asked in the DDF thread if something can be done about these, but of course that wouldn't help with images from other sites. This forum's signature checker seems too restrictive either way.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I've replaced the "Default" theme (the software default, not the actual default) with an "Invision Blue" theme. This new theme inherits various changes I've made (e.g. revamping the profile to hide unused things like cover photos and status updates) while maintaining the overall colors, typography, and spacing of the original default. IMO it strikes the right balance between the two themes; let me know if things are off.

I'm unlikely to revert this change because the pure default won't pick up any layout changes (e.g. adding topic count to forum listings, or showing display name history on profiles) without a bunch of extra work.

5 hours ago, TJ09 said:

PM capacity is currently unlimited due to the conversion leaving way more messages than people previously had. I will slowly add a cap and reduce it down to about 1000 (5x the original cap). This may not happen until after I get a chance to add "proper" management tools (such as archiving).

Thank you, definitely will be a blessing.

AHA! I could finally change my sig's layout, thanks! Also THANKS for saving our Notepads, TJ! I was worried about that.
(OK so I haven't found out yet where this private field is... but I will)

I like the "new" forum so far. It's silly but I'm really happy that we can now strike through so easily. ^^ What can I say I like striking through

I still haven't figured out how to insert images though... except by typing good old tags again.

2 minutes ago, Aleoleo said:

I still haven't figured out how to insert images though... except by typing good old tags again.

Do you mean inserting images to posts? If so, it seems links are automatically embedded now!

8 minutes ago, Cottoncat said:

Do you mean inserting images to posts? If so, it seems links are automatically embedded now!

You mean you just have to add a link with the pic's address? Lemme try: http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/dragcave/images/4/4a/Aeon_Wyvern_egg.gif
OK so that's obviously not what you meant... u_u

Edited by Aleoleo

Found notebook. Woo! Still haven't found where the edit signature option is though. 

20 minutes ago, Cottoncat said:

To me it does work like that so yes, although it can sometimes take a while for the link to turn into an image. o: 

Aeon_Wyvern_egg.gif

That's so weird... Do you leave the "link text" field blank?

@Wiz: where oh where is the notebook?

7 minutes ago, Aleoleo said:

That's so weird... Do you leave the "link text" field blank?

@Wiz: where oh where is the notebook?

On the edit profile page at the bottom. :)