TJ09

2017-07-02 - Forum Updates

5 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

At the bottom of each page, there's a thing called theme and you can change it to a pretty Default blue instead of the default DC Skin

thanks, i hadn't found that, though thought i'd looked everywhere. the background is sill very white though the blue is nice for the edges etc. i'll try the blue for a while :)

I am also hoping there will be more diverse skins in the future. The blue theme is slightly more pleasant to me, but still the differences from the DC default are only in the headers and icons. They both have a white background and even with my laptop screen on the lowest possible brightness it gets quite tiring. Somehow it's not as much of a problem on my phone though.

Other than that the switch seems good so far, it'll take some adjusting but there are definite advantages to the way more updated software.

24 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

At the bottom of each page, there's a thing called theme and you can change it to a pretty Default blue instead of the default DC Skin

I don't have a "theme" link on the bottom of my pages

4 minutes ago, StormBirdRising said:

You mean all you see is Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.? There should be a Theme link you could click right above that

Edited by Dalek Raptor

4 minutes ago, StormBirdRising said:

It's a little small, but it should be here.

N2gdCln.png

I have to say the use of BBcode here is quite confusing. When posting a trade offer for example I often link to lineages or teleports through egg images with the usual format:

[url=][img][/img][/url]

...but I haven't figured out how to do that here yet. Using the link button only allows me to add text, and if I type out the code by hand it doesn't display correctly and acts like broken code. 

Edited for wrong code. Apparently even my trying to explain gets messed up while posting.

Edited by MissK.

8 minutes ago, Dew said:

It's a little small, but it should be here.

N2gdCln.png

AH HA. Thank you guys I'd put a smile here but I can't use the emojis, so I'll just put this little home made smiley :)  I didn't even see that down there. I never would have found it.

14 minutes ago, MissK. said:

I have to say the use of BBcode here is quite confusing. When posting a trade offer for example I often link to lineages or teleports through egg images with the usual format:

[url=][img][/img][/url]

...but I haven't figured out how to do that here yet. Using the link button only allows me to add text, and if I type out the code by hand it doesn't display correctly and acts like broken code. 

Edited for wrong code. Apparently even my trying to explain gets messed up while posting.

Yeah the WYSIWYG editor is a pain and makes it difficult to edit things. Try writing out the BBC separately and then copying and pasting it here? Not sure what other workarounds there are unless we get raw code editor back. 

4 minutes ago, Dew said:

Yeah the WYSIWYG editor is a pain and makes it difficult to edit things. Try writing out the BBC separately and then copying and pasting it here? Not sure what other workarounds there are unless we get raw code editor back. 

Oh good, that does work, thanks for the tip. The issue must have been pasting the url here directly since it hyperlinks it instantly and then he code around it fails to work.

1 minute ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

I'm not sure why the usual (the code you posted) isn't working. I tried and the image showed up fine but wasn't hyperlinked.

However, you can simply copy the image and paste it into your post (it will auto-format). Then, double click the image. That'll give you something like this, which you can then paste a link into.

I think I solved the mystery as stated above, the code works fine if I paste it from somewhere else.

But that works just fine too, thank you. I'm really not used to the extra options through double clicking and such yet.

I wish that we can get an editor that let us see the BBcode. And i would like a theme where the background of the post is a lot darker then this white and not this on the left very bright and on the right very dark, although beautiful, image of the cave in the background. But i still want to see the eggs on the forum!

Someone revealed earlier that in the corner of your post, the new Options button allows you to hide the post, which supposedly hides it from everyone, not just you. I haven't tested this out yet though.
   Also agreeing with those irked by the bright white background and the 1.5 Enter key spacing; thank you Sock for that "S h i f t + Enter" shortcut! I'm making a short list of some things users are noticing with the forum update, but I won't post it until TJ has enough time to fix all of the little bugs and things going on (I'm mostly paying attention to when everyone has a signature again).

EDIT: LOL, so the censor still works. XD The "S h i f t" key I mean. (This is when it censors that too, hah hah.) Also I just wrote out BBCode manually as I usually do in posts, and it parsed fine even though the code itself is now hidden in the editor. It'll be a pain to edit BBCode-heavy posts in the future, but at least you aren't forced to use the editor's shortcuts, which is lovely!

Edited by skwerl56767

9 minutes ago, skwerl56767 said:

Someone revealed earlier that in the corner of your post, the new Options button allows you to hide the post, which supposedly hides it from everyone, not just you. I haven't tested this out yet though.

Adding onto this: I have tested it, and hiding a post does hide it from everyone (except mods, I'm assuming). I actually am not sure how to unhide a post, or view a post that I've hidden. I tested it out in Forum Games but can't find the post I hid there.

Edited by Dew

27 minutes ago, Tigerkralle said:

I wish that we can get an editor that let us see the BBcode. And i would like a theme where the background of the post is a lot darker then this white and not this on the left very bright and on the right very dark, although beautiful, image of the cave in the background. But i still want to see the eggs on the forum!

Quite honestly, I fully agree with Tigerkralle here - the white glares and it's not fun with visual issues. And the WYSIWIG editor is... kinda hard to use? Like being able to have the raw BBCode worked a lot better, so if that's at all possible I'd love to see it return.

yeah can we please get a dark theme like as soon as possible. also i miss having thread subjects so you could tell what roleplays etc were at a glance. the default blue theme is much better than the red one, but they both have issues. it's pretty okay otherwise tho.

Edited by Switch

I like the new forums. Need to play around with it a bit more (did for a little bit this morning before work but lots of expected lag). Thank you for the update.

Still trying to figure out profile stuff. Our profile notes seem to have gone into "interests." There also seems to be an "about .e" section. Where should I put breeding info, iou lists, wishlist, etc?

34 minutes ago, skwerl56767 said:

I just used it on a post and it does work, when you hit the "hide" selection a pop up comes up and you have to type a reason for hiding it. Interesting.

27 minutes ago, Dew said:

Adding onto this: I have tested it, and hiding a post does hide it from everyone (except mods, I'm assuming). I actually am not sure how to unhide a post, or view a post that I've hidden. I tested it out in Forum Games but can't find the post I hid there.

That's funny.  Like in Harry Potter - the Invisible book of Invisibility lolz

If a person changes their username, do they still get PMs directed to the old username? I'm just asking because I keep track of usernames for holiday IOUs and I don't want people to miss out because they have updated their username and I don't have it. I also am still wondering when the about section of our profiles will show up. 

20 minutes ago, DuskOfTheStars said:

And the WYSIWIG editor is... kinda hard to use? Like being able to have the raw BBCode worked a lot better, so if that's at all possible I'd love to see it return.

I think we NEED the BBCode to show - I went back to edit a post where I had made a mistake with coding - meaning that the whole post ended up as one massive url - and I couldn't see at all where the issue was; I had to copy paste it into a word processor, edit and repost. That isn't necessary, surely ? I'm fine with WYSIWYG - but when it comes to editing to correct coding errors - it just doesn't work.

Would it be wrong of me to say I'm already missing the old forum layout? It was just so... comfy.
Buy I realize change was necessary; especially for something that was apparently so old. I had no idea!

I'll get used to it as time goes on. I just hope all the bugs sort themselves out!

Edited by TheDarkLatias

Feels like a brand new forum. Going to have to poke around a bit and explore all the features. It's going to take a while to get used to, I think.

Quick question: How do I log in as an anonymous user (I prefer not having my username show up at the bottom in the who's online section). I tried clicking the checkbox for sign in anonymously when logging in, but it doesn't seem to affect anything... is there a step I am missing?

I dislike change just for the sake of change.  I am aware there were issues, tho.  I still don't like it.

For one thing, it takes so much more work to get to a message.  I have seen where other stuff has been lost, and my sympathies to those with huge wish lists, iou lists, etc.

For another thing, I have had to keep a close watch on how close I was to filling my mailbox and not being able to get messages.  I liked when I clicked on my inbox, and I could just see everything.  Now I can't.

Has the limit been increased where we can get more pms or not?  If not I might as well give up now.  I can only track who I promised what to and who did me favors or was just plain nice to me by keeping those emails.  I was probably about 5 messages away all the time from not being able to get more.  So I am hoping for some good news as far as limits...