TJ09

2017-07-02 - Forum Updates

After a process that took ten times longer than planned, the forums are now available again, running software that was last updated this year (as compared to over a decade ago). A lot of things have changed, so I ask that people give it some time to adjust before requesting changes. Do, however be vigilant about reporting any bugs or things that seem obviously wrong (missing data, etc).

Some current known issues (I chose to open the forums up sooner rather than later, even if it means things aren't done yet):

• Avatars are still processing. If your avatar is missing, it should return soon.
  • PM boxes are still processing. Avoid creating or renaming your PM boxes until they return, or you may lose access to any PMs stored in non-inbox folders.
  • Signatures are still processing, and may appear as "_" until the processing completes. Feel free to update your profile with a new signature, though doing so will prevent your old signature from returning.
  • PMs are still processing, and may appear as HTML until complete. New PMs should be unaffected.
  • There may be some lingering slowness as a result of both the pending background work and some software issues that I am looking into.

Thank you, all, for your patience during this extended outage. Hopefully the upgrade proves to be net positive.

So it has come to my attention that users can't reply to this thread, so first, I want to pass along my absolute thanks, TJ for working so long and hard on making sure everything on the forum came along with the upgrade and on getting things up and working for us again! There are definitely some major changes to the new skin that will take some used to getting used to (mostly just where to click for things and clicking in the wrong spot, lol), but there is so much I love about the upgrade. The forums are so sleek and modern now. It's beautiful. <3

I'm fully aware some of these might resolve themselves once the upgrade has totally finished and/or I haven't checking into everything too much due to loading times), but I wanted to make sure they got passed along just in case:
- Customized avatar gallery is missing
- Custom emojis are gone or hidden (although it appears that all emojis are gone?)
- Is the user notepad that used to be in the user CP coming back?
- Some people seem to have other skin options than invision or DC's default but not everyone does, some of whom were using other themes Ooh, ignore this one. I realize people are using using the invision default, not the winter skin.
- News section might be totally closed to posts by users as users don't have an option to post in either open thread
- Is there a way to see the source formatting for posts or do you have to edit in fully displayed formatting?
- Is message tracking to see if a message has been read gone?
- I'm guessing this is just due to load from the upgrades, but users are getting some EX23 or something error, usually when viewing profiles (and I got it when I tried to search, although I was pretty sure the forum was too slow for that to work, anyway)
- Is there an ability to show past usernames for users who've changed their names?
- Some people don't seem to have an inbox limit and some seem to have a 2000 message limit (and some of us are having over-capacity issues, such as myself: currently at 737% capacity and 7k+ messages). What should we actually expect from the inbox/will this fix itself once PMs are finished processing possibly?

Hopefully I'm not forgetting something I saw brought up, but I probably am, lol. xP

Thank you again, TJ! It was awesome for you to put so much work into making sure everything came over correctly and completely. =)

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I am getting word from users in IRC that forum loading times is very slow. I have also seen this to be true my end.

if I read through, I would realise this is an expected slowness.

Great looks though <3

Edited by Starscream

I couldn't load the forums at all today until now (I'd been trying on and off since about 10:00 AM EST; it's currently 3:28 PM EST), FYI. The screen was just blank, and the tab said "Connecting" with the blue loading icon. I use the latest version of Firefox with AdBlock Plus on a PC using Windows 10, if that's of any help.

Edited by Wahya

Hey! We can post now! But everyone seems to have the problem of the forums being drastically slow! I'm fluctuating between fast and slow. I'm able to do more then the people in the Discord, but now it seems fixed?

Also, thank you TJ for setting the time aside to update the forums!

Edited by Dalek Raptor

I tried to edit my signature, and it says it has too many lines even though there's only one line of text in there. XD

The signatures seem to have rather odd guidelines, no images allowed and a limited number of links, though that might just be some sort of bug/unfinished setting.

The new forums are all fancy and modern though! That's fun ^u^

Edited by lolahighwind

Topic descriptions are gone. Will they come back / will there be anything to replace them? They were pretty useful for labelling DR stuff.

User notes are gone, any way to get those back? Forgot to copy them down but no biggie, didn't have anything too important there.

There's now an "About Me" section in addition to "Interests" for editing profiles. I tried adding some stuff there but didn't see it show up anywhere in my profile.

Edited by Dew

First off: The new design is very pretty and modern while still being very faithful to the old layout we are used to. Thank you for this smooth transition, TJ!

The forum was loading extremely slowly for me too earlier, but this has resolved itself now, at least for me. I just have one main concern:

9 hours ago, SockPuppet Strangler said:

- Is there a way to see the source formatting for posts or do you have to edit in fully displayed formatting?

I find it really frustrating to deal with WYSIWYG editors and prefer to always work on the raw BB code when it comes to forums, so it would really, really appreciate if there was some way to switch between these two editing modes. I know that we are not supposed to request changes yet, so I'm mainly wondering whether this is one of the missing functionalities that are still to be activated or whether I will have to get used to this. :)

I find the layout in the subforum areas very hard on my eyes-- I can't tell what topic is by who. It's all just a huge box of white and text and it makes things very difficult.

Also I do hope the subtitle bits on posts return as I found them very useful (especially in the DR).

And I hope the BB code visibility returns-- it's nice to be able to see your code and work with it. This new way of coding posts seems very restrictive.

This is going to take a bit to get used to.

First of all, huge thanks to TJ for making this update happen! The forums look all new and fresh now!

I'm really happy about many things this update has brought, like the possibility to change forum usernames and that there are now notifications (with sound). The new layout looks good in general.
There's at least one tiny thing I miss from the old forum design: the egg symbols that represented the user's level. The avatars also seem to have shrunk a bit?

Now I'm just waiting for things to smooth out overall and the return of my signature.

Is deleting your own post still going to be a thing? Because some of us might double post on accident because of the newness and would like it if we had the option to delete posts again

This is going to take a bit to get used to, but I'm liking it so far~

In general I am getting used to things, and the lag seems to be gone. (Probably should not have said that)  One thing I can't find yet, is the percentage of PM space we are currently using.  Is there no longer a limit or am I just blind?

TJ, please remove the forced email notification settings. We're not allowed to disable emails when we get a forum message or when "Someone comments on something I follow", whatever that means, but we're also not able to enable basic notifications for these things (the hover says "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled"). This is ridiculous. I don't want my email to be forcibly flooded with the exact same messages that I have on-site.

I like the new avaliable options and the interface is better... 

I'm still waiting for my signature and profile info to load... it's strange that only half of it is gone.

Personally I am hoping we can get different themes soon, I miss my blue theme, not a fan of the red personally.

Just now, Nectaris said:

Personally I am hoping we can get different themes soon, I miss my blue theme, not a fan of the red personally.

If you look down below at any on the forum pages, you should have the option to click theme and hit Default (not DC Default)

32 minutes ago, Dalek Raptor said:

Is deleting your own post still going to be a thing? Because some of us might double post on accident because of the newness and would like it if we had the option to delete posts again

Check "Options". Delete is under there.

29 minutes ago, ainisarie said:

In general I am getting used to things, and the lag seems to be gone. (Probably should not have said that)  One thing I can't find yet, is the percentage of PM space we are currently using.  Is there no longer a limit or am I just blind?

Some people seem to have this; others don't. It's part of what I was asking in the second post. I see this information in the right hand corner of my inbox if I go to my inbox.

18 minutes ago, shortaxel said:

TJ, please remove the forced email notification settings. We're not allowed to disable emails when we get a forum message or when "Someone comments on something I follow", whatever that means, but we're also not able to enable basic notifications for these things (the hover says "The administrator has disabled this option from being toggled"). This is ridiculous. I don't want my email to be forcibly flooded with the exact same messages that I have on-site.

I was talking with TJ about a lot of options and settings that seem to have been inverted/changed during the upgrade, so I just want to ensure you, that wasn't something TJ meant to do! I'll go poke him, though, in case he hasn't seen this yet.

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

How does one delete one's own post?

Check "Options". Delete is under there.

Nope. All I see under Options is Hide.
You may have more options than a regular user due to your modness :)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

How am I supposed to view the messages I've recieved? it says I have a message but it won't let me see it. It's so frustrating ugh

Edited by braviary123

1 minute ago, braviary123 said:

How am I supposed to view the messages I've recieved? it says I have a message but it won't let me see it. It's so frustrating ugh

It won't let you see it? Click on the envelope in the upper right hand corner of the forum. Then click the message or click "Go to Inbox" at the bottom of the pop-up and click the message from there. If that's what you tried and it's not working, could we get more detail on what you mean? It's possible slow loading just caused the message to not pop up?

I am rather disappointed. This update deleted my friends list and so I have lost some IOUs.  Just one update was worse - way how to fertilize dragons.