Confused Cat

Groups: filter for dragons in other group(s)

In addition to the "Filter by:" dropdown, I would like another dropdown to filter by group.

So when I'm looking at a group (e.g. "Holiday-Kins"), I can select a group (e.g. "Checkers") in that new dropdown and then only dragons that are in both groups will be shown.

(In a perfect world, there would be more than one of these dropdowns so we could filter for dragons that are in 3 or 4 groups... but combining two groups would already be great. biggrin.gif )

Potentially useful and increasing the usefulnes of groups themselves, especially in the context of complex breeding.

Oh, this would be a very useful addition to groups and a handy way to more easy find specific dragons (once you've put int he work to utilize groups). Support!

Yes, please! I mean, I already have my frozen mint hatchlings all together, but if I didn't, then I could have it show only dragons that are in both the frozen and mint group.

I would like this too.  I have been frustrated without this.  I would like to breed all my white cave born dragons, but do not want to create a group just for white cave born dragons.  I have a group for white and a group for cave born.

Another thing is probably ones in this group but not in the other group. For example all the ones in white but not in the inbred group.

*big bump!*

I would looooooove to be able to filter by a secondary group while on a group's page. Please please pretty please with a cherry on top? I've recently realized just how useful this would be when I'm trying to breed... I have a group for 'Shinies' and sometimes I try to breed some of those for myself, but since I've started focusing more on messy-lineages I would *love* to be able to filter the Shinies group to only show Shinies that are also in my 'Beautiful Messies' group. Right now I have to filter to the Shinies group and then click each individual dragon to open their view page to see if they are in the other group too. 

Yes, definitely! Do want! :D I was doing a lot of organising yesterday with my groups and it would have been very useful and time saving if I could have filtered by a second group within the group I was working in. A drop down menu exactly like the one we already get on our scrolls before we're even in a group would be fantastic. For those times when you really need it, it would make a big difference. ^_^

Yes, please!

I can see how this might be useful...it MIGHT lead to me making yet MORE groups, tho...

Same here. Right now, in order to find all nth gens of a big checkerboard breeding project, we'd need to create not only one group for the project, but one group for every single generation of that project. (mycheckerboard_gen1, mycheckerboard_gen2, mycheckerboard_gen3...)

However, if we could have some automatic groups (breed, gender, generation, breeding type), things would be even easier. (Yeah, tags would work just as well for this...)

The current group system has all the disadvantages of tags and tabs, tbh. Being able to filter within groups alone would help, but it wouldn't solve all the problems with it. (I don't know about you, but i'm not going through eleven+ pages of dragons just to find the CBs...)

So few? My CB count is 3000+. Which is why I don't even have them in a single group. Creating this group would be a total nightmare.

I am definitely in support of filters. More filters!

I've had to farm out my holiday-kin to various groups just so I'll remember they're available for breeding outside of their respective 'seasons' - but I'd love to keep them in their own exclusive groups. Being able to select dragons from multiple groups would be fantastic. 

Another bump for this because I'm frustrated yet again. I have 162 dragons in my 'two-headed' group, but only a tiny handful of those are also in my 'beautiful messies' group, I would really really love to be able to filter the two-head group to show *only* those that are also in the messies group. Right now I don't know any better way to do it then looking at every single dragon individually to see if they have the other group checkmarked as well (for some groups I've had each group open in a different tab and gone back and forth comparing the two to see which dragons are in both, but that's not very realistic with my 1k+ messies group...). 

As a more generalized version, how about a way to create groups from the unions, complements, differences or intersections of other groups? This would mean you'd just need to set it up once instead of every time you want to do a thing, as well as avoiding the issue of people inevitably wanting to filter by 3 groups or whatever.

6 hours ago, osmarks said:

As a more generalized version, how about a way to create groups from the unions, complements, differences or intersections of other groups? This would mean you'd just need to set it up once instead of every time you want to do a thing, as well as avoiding the issue of people inevitably wanting to filter by 3 groups or whatever.

(bolding mine) 

Not sure what you mean with that? Creating groups from... Different groups that have the same characteristics? Could you expand on what you mean when you say unions/complements/etc?

3 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

(bolding mine) 

Not sure what you mean with that? Creating groups from... Different groups that have the same characteristics? Could you expand on what you mean when you say unions/complements/etc?

Union: forming one group from all the dragons in some others.

Complement: forming a group from all the dragons not in some others.

Intersection: forming a group from all the dragons which appear in all the groups you select

Difference: forming a group from all the dragons in one group but not another.

While that's a great idea, and would be very helpful in some cases, I'm sure not everyone wants actual groups with those characteristics.... For example, I do not want a specific group on my scroll just for two-headed messies, it'd be a small group that wouldn't get much use and would just take up space on the group drop-down, imo. I *do* want the ability to filter so that I can temporarily *see* my dragons that are in both my two-head group and my messies group, though. I personally only make an actual group if it's really important to me and I know it's something I will definitely use and be interested in seeing the group grow... I don't want a bajillion 'all dragons somehow related to these other groups' groups just to avoid the want of filtering every so often.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I'm sure not everyone wants actual groups with those characteristics

Not everyone wants, say, breed X, yet the game still offers them. Nothing needs to be wanted by everyone to be implemented. :)

I'd love the complement and intersection options especially.

So I have most of my Stones in specific breeding groups, but some are still available and only within their CB group. Cannot really filter for "ungrouped" here, sadly.

So I have checkers, and holidaykins seeking holiday mates. Finding the holidaykins that are checkers AND seeking mates? Manual work, right now.

(I often use discard-after-use groups, for example when mates for specific projects have been bred and/or acquired. So it's not like I'd need such groups permanently - they are just tools.)

Edited by Ruby Eyes

I just meant that not everyone who would like a filter option would be satisfied with a workaround of making different groups instead. The complement/intersection/etc is a great idea, but it's not a great idea *in place of* being able to filter by multiple groups.