Pixxelation

Pokémon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon

13 hours ago, Syiren said:

And in what universe did Goivanni actually TAME Mewtwo?

Whichever weird one this whole thing is from. TBH, I think it's just another anime tie-in thing, because in the original games, there's notes which suggest Mewtwo was a natural occurrence, and not anything to do with Team Rocket (which also go against it's own Pokedex entry of being a genetic experiment :| )

19 hours ago, SheridanCharon said:

Whichever weird one this whole thing is from. TBH, I think it's just another anime tie-in thing, because in the original games, there's notes which suggest Mewtwo was a natural occurrence, and not anything to do with Team Rocket (which also go against it's own Pokedex entry of being a genetic experiment :| )

I don't think that the notes in the Pokemon mansion were suggesting that Mewtwo was born as a natural occurance, rather that it was actually born like the cloned sheep Dotty (I think that was her name) was.  The sheep in question was born naturally (as opposed to an artificial womb which didn't exist then), but was a literal clone of her mother.  I think that's what Game Freak was going for.  Mewtwo was a altered clone of Mew, but was born naturally within Mew (because 1st gen had no breeding system so Pokemon Eggs weren't a thing yet. : P )

That being said there's actually no evidence that Team Rocket were behind Mewtwo's creation in the games.  And, until now, there was only circumstantial evidence that Giovanni even knew Mewtwo existed (He was after the Master Ball and ghost types, and his grunts were harassing Mr. Fuji who is believed to be the Dr. Fuji that created Mewtwo in the first place.)

Edited by Lightstorm12000

1 hour ago, Lightstorm12000 said:

I don't think that the notes in the Pokemon mansion were suggesting that Mewtwo was born as a natural occurance, rather that it was actually born like the cloned sheep Dotty (I think that was her name) was.  The sheep in question was born naturally (as opposed to an artificial womb which didn't exist then), but was a literal clone of her mother.

I know who Dolly was. Considering she was born not to far from where I live and is what caused my interest in genetics and biology, it's kinda hard NOT to.

But yeah, when you look at all the stuff that came after RBGY, a fair few things in the game don't make total sense. But whatever.

I've noticed there's....barely any marketing for USUM, at least here in the UK. It comes out next week, but I've not seen a single advert....anywhere. XY, SuMo, OrAs....all of those were being advertised on TV, in magazines, on the web etc all a good couple months before they came out. But not USUM....And it can't be due to them being the "third game" in the series, because Yellow, Crystal, Emerald, Platinum, B2W2...all of those were well advertised.

Edited by SheridanCharon

Yeah.  Here in the States I don't think I've seen any advertising or information on the games outside of the internet.  It's like they want it to be a surprise to everyone that doesn't spend a lot of time online.

7 minutes ago, Lightstorm12000 said:

Yeah.  Here in the States I don't think I've seen any advertising or information on the games outside of the internet.  It's like they want it to be a surprise to everyone that doesn't spend a lot of time online.

Aye to this. I nearly forgot it was coming out soon till I got my TPCi newsletter about the Shiny Silvally distribution.

26 minutes ago, Lightstorm12000 said:

Problem is, by doing that they are risking that the sales won't be that good.

On 11/8/2017 at 9:24 AM, SheridanCharon said:

Problem is, by doing that they are risking that the sales won't be that good.

Yeah.  I'd say that it's because it's being released on the 3DS if it weren't for the fact that Nintendo seems to be giving Xenoblade Chronicles 2 for the Switch much the same treatment.  It's had practically no publicity and what little it's had has had little to do with the story.  After how well they marketed BotW, Arms, Splatoon 2 and Super Mario Odyssey, you have to wonder why they just let TPC and the group behind XC2 run the marketing campaigns on their own games if it's going to be this poorly done.

I've been hearing rumours that Ash is going to be in the game, though nothing about how or in what way.

Thoughts?

Me, personally, if it turns out to be true I will be seriously reconsidering whether I am buying or not. Having little nods like Ash-Greninja and the cap Pikachus is fine, because they were effectively just Easter eggs and, as they were only obtained through special means, not technically canon to the games. It still kept the games and the anime separate.

But putting THE MAIN CHARACTER from the anime into the game....no, just no. Depending on how they do it, specifically if they put him in the Alola we start in, that confirms they take place in the same universe, making the events of the anime canon to the games, and that causes way too many continuity problems. 

If he's only accessible through one of the wormholes, that is more acceptable because the wormholes lead to different dimensions, so going to one based on the anime would be plausible. But still annoying.

i haven't heard of that rumor but datamining will inevitably confirm everything sooner or later...

five days my dudes let's go i'm excited for this game now

I am getting both games

Pokémon Ultra Sun Fan Edition and Pokémon Ultra Moon Fan Edition.

I can't wait for them.

Since USUM is dropping as I type, I felt now was the best time to post my Release Date notice, which I usually broadcast on several forums whenever new Pokémon shenanigans are afoot.

I will be online often today (November 17) and throughout the weekend for my inaugural USUM playthrough, ready to offer assistance to fellow Trainers. My complete living dex (including most Mythical Pokémon) is at the disposal of anyone (trustworthy) who needs it, as are my breeding abilities. I can also answer gameplay/mechanics questions for newer players. Message me on DC for my Friend Code, and don't forget to register your games at the PGL and do missions for tons of FC. (I should be getting my own hard copies about 15 hours after this post, but if you want to trade or need dex info on the original S&M, I can still help.)

On 11/12/2017 at 5:11 AM, SheridanCharon said:

I've been hearing rumours that Ash is going to be in the game, though nothing about how or in what way.

Thoughts?

Me, personally, if it turns out to be true I will be seriously reconsidering whether I am buying or not. Having little nods like Ash-Greninja and the cap Pikachus is fine, because they were effectively just Easter eggs and, as they were only obtained through special means, not technically canon to the games. It still kept the games and the anime separate.

But putting THE MAIN CHARACTER from the anime into the game....no, just no. Depending on how they do it, specifically if they put him in the Alola we start in, that confirms they take place in the same universe, making the events of the anime canon to the games, and that causes way too many continuity problems. 

If he's only accessible through one of the wormholes, that is more acceptable because the wormholes lead to different dimensions, so going to one based on the anime would be plausible. But still annoying.

But Ash has already been in the games.  Who do you think Red is?  Yes, when you play the Gen I games, you take his place, but he has appeared in-game in later generations, as Red, where you can fight him.

I thought I wasn't going to get the game but I decided to buy it this morning (got Ultra Sun), and now I'm shiny hunting for Rowlet again. Hoping for a quick hunt like last time on Sun but we'll see!

On 17/11/2017 at 3:56 PM, RicFule said:

But Ash has already been in the games.  Who do you think Red is?  Yes, when you play the Gen I games, you take his place, but he has appeared in-game in later generations, as Red, where you can fight him.

Except there is no concrete evidence of that being the case. So as far as I am concerned, unless Nintendo and GF themselves say otherwise, the game and the anime are separate continuities. Ash does not exist in the games, Red is a completely separate character. The ONLY game in which Ash could be accepted as existing is Yellow, which follows the anime more.

As I said, if he's in a different dimension only accessible through the wormhole, then fine. Different dimensions and all that. But if he's in the Alola you START in, which also has RED in it, but they are both SEPARATE people in said-game and NEITHER got to Alola via a wormhole, that is impossible by this "Ash and Red are the same person" logic.

Edited by SheridanCharon

I'm on the Brooklet Hill trial in Ultra Sun as of this post - taking it slowly this time. My starter is a 4(ish)IV Japanese Honedge I got in a Wonder Trade. Thought it was gonna be crap, did the stat calcs myself, and lo! Could've been worse. (If USUM had Bank support at launch, I'd be using my 6IV shinies, lawl.) If anybody wants my Friend Code, my earlier offer still stands.

Aced the Pikachu Quiz in one try, too. I'm assuming someone's done gifs of Pikachu Valley already? That place. XD

Edit: Yay, done. Now I can fish up Totem Stickers.

Edit again: Anyone wanna show off their passport photo?

image.png.54487d86db56ae92855bb8b8e9eb1d13.png

Edited by Miral

god i didnt plan out what kind of team i wanted at all ive just got two pikachu, torracat, orange dog who i havent been able to play at the right time to evolve, and a   shiny pineco i got off wonder trade. 

i really do feel like the first half of this game has been aggravating purely because having to essentially replay sumo just reminds me of how hard this game drags you around on a leash sometimes. please god i just want to get to pikachu valley.

like dont get me wrong i love sun and moon but oooooooooof that early game

Edited by Switch

I just cleared the Brooklet Hill trial and I have most of the Pokemon that I want to use for my final team.  One I won't find until Diglett Cave, but the other I have to wait until next Tuesday to get since it's found via Island Scan.  The thing is, I need that Combusken for the Lush Jungle trial, so do I wait until Tuesday to catch it after I beat the Wela Volcano trial, or just catch a fire type at the volcano and progress without it and then catch it and train it up when it's Tuesday?

I love the early game. I only ever played through S&M once each because I didn't want to restart my progress, but if multiple save files had been feasible at the time, I would have. Probably another one of my unpopular opinions, I know. I'm mostly into gaming for the adventure. I'm good competitively, I just... meh. Don't care.

I'm still scratching my head at the lack of launch-time Bank support, especially since it's happening next week anyway. All the people who cared about having a competitive team from the start could've waited to begin their progress until the update went live. If the concern was to level the playing field initially, I don't see what difference 2 weeks is going to make. Just wanted my amazing shiny team on US a little sooner - but then again, I can save it for UM.

I'm still only at Royal Avenue. Took a giant break after my last post. Can't wait to see which of us finds a shiny legendary first.

This has been the hardest pokemon game for me since HeartGold and Soulsilver. I'm at 24 hours game play and a good portion of that has been grinding levels in grass trying to beat Brooklet Hill. Trumbeak doesn't learn his next flying move until lv 32 which is actually a little absurd...Peck is super effective but doesn't even do 10% damage.

31 minutes ago, Ashywolf said:

This has been the hardest pokemon game for me since HeartGold and Soulsilver. I'm at 24 hours game play and a good portion of that has been grinding levels in grass trying to beat Brooklet Hill. Trumbeak doesn't learn his next flying move until lv 32 which is actually a little absurd...Peck is super effective but doesn't even do 10% damage.

Catch a bunch of 'mons on the routes and Wonder Trade them. Traded Pokémon gain more exp faster than ones with your OT. SOS chain for HP balloons like Chansey. Use the Festival Plaza and Poké Pelago functions once you have them. And don't forget Roto Powers.

Brooklet Hill wasn't hard for me. My Cutiefly paralyzed the totem, and it proceeded to... be unable to move due to paralysis every single subsequent turn while my Noibat Air Cuttered it AND its ally to death.

My current team is Inkay (Rika), Cutiefly (Shiori), Noibat (Mio), Zorua (Yulia), Fomantis (2B), and the event Rockruff (Ruby). I boxed my starter. I also took a lengthy diversion to chain for a Contrary Fomantis.

Edited by TCA

34 minutes ago, TCA said:

Brooklet Hill wasn't hard for me. My Cutiefly paralyzed the totem, and it proceeded to... be unable to move due to paralysis every single subsequent turn while my Noibat Air Cuttered it AND its ally to death.

Same. My Magnemite Thunder Waved it, then I spent a couple of turns spamming Honedge's Swords Dance, and annihilated everything with Aerial Ace.

Edited by Miral

Brooklet Hill was a bit challenging for me, especially when I saw that the Totem had Aurora Beam. That was a complete "Wait.  What?!" moment.  X D, but it was ultimately down to my Pikachu and Trumpbeak to do it and they stepped up big time.  Especially since my Dartrix did get one good hit in before he went down.  Just wish I had known that we can now get the Flyingnium-Z early on in the game before heading to Akala Island.

The Wela Volcano trial, however was a nightmare.  That Totem seemed to know what I was going to to do before I even did it and countered me perfectly.  I had to whittle down it's health with other Pokemon while using revives and super potions on my Marshtomp in order to bring the thing down.  It's Totem boost supposedly only boosts it's Speed, but I'm pretty damn sure that it boosted it's Special Defense as well.  Hydro Vortex one-shot the Alolan Marowak from earlier, but the Totem who's only like one or two levels higher?  Not even half of it's health.  And that's when it didn't use Detect.  T_ T  Add the Thick Club on top of that, and it was just a beast.

Beat Kiawe's trial a few hours ago. Brionne delivered two 1-hit KOs apiece to the Totem and its ally - and both were Hydro Vortex.

Edited by Miral

I had araquanid paralyzed and with -3 attack, -3 special attack, and reflect, and it still wrecked me. It had 80% hp when my team was wiped. If the rain didn't last forever it would be much easier surviving. 

I will look for noibat if it really does learn air cutter this early in the game, since that will definitely help. I'm amazed they didn't give the basic bird (pikipek line) wing attack or even gust in this game.

edit: wowww I really should have listened to people, turns out you don't need machamp for Flyinium Z in this game. I assumed it was the same as in the original SM.

Edited by Ashywolf