Shokomon

ANSWERED:Progeny Page Updates

I just noticed that the Progeny page for dragons has changed from listing progeny by mate to just listing the progeny and putting the mother name next to the offspring dragon.

Here is an example for the current progeny page:

user posted image

I honestly liked the older version better because it was easier to see who the mate was for the dragon I was looking at.

However, that's just my opinion. What do you guys think? Approve? Disapprove? Any changes needed?

Do you want to change it back?

Please discuss.

(I apologize if this has been brought up already. I did a quick search, but I didn't see any similar topics.)

Edit: More pictures

Before selecting See Children Option

user posted image

After selecting See Children Option

user posted image

Edited by Shokomon

Oh, I noticed the change too.

I actually think the change in the progeny page is really smart design-wise. Before the way it was set up, the page length was longer. This update makes use of that empty space off to the side, making it feel more compact and less empty.

I must admit I liked the progeny being sorted by mate, but I like the feature to look at the progeny's progeny even more.

I liked it better sorted by mate, too. And I don't get to see all the other offspring on St Pat's. nor can I use the see children link that's there apparently instead of that.sad.gif

It would seem along with changing how the progeny are arranged, if you click "See Children" to see any grand kids, great grand kids, etc., you cannot undo the action without refreshing the page.

I'd like to be able to toggle on and off the "See Children" options, especially when some of my dragons have a lot of kids, who, in turn, have a lot of grand kids, and so on and so forth.

--

@Daydreamer09: That's true, but I feel like, at least for me, it's just redundant information.

It probably benefits people who have multiple mates for their dragons, but for me, it's just the same dragon mate over and over and over again.

Like you only really need to say it once. I don't need to see the name of the mate for [insert amount of offspring the dragon has with a certain mate] number of times.

Edited by Shokomon

Oh, I noticed the change too.

I actually think the change in the progeny page is really smart design-wise. Before the way it was set up, the page length was longer. This update makes use of that empty space off to the side, making it feel more compact and less empty.

Agreed. Plus, with lines with lots of children and grandchildren, the page could get really confusing until I figured out which expansion to close. The new view may be a little redundant, but it's really easy and simple to see who the mate was to produce each child.

I'm very happy with the new view. =3

I liked it better sorted by mate, too. And I don't get  to see all the other offspring on St Pat's. nor can I use the see children link that's there apparently instead of that.sad.gif

The problem with progeny tabs not opening should have been fixed with the changes earlier. If you're still having problems, it may have something to do with your browser specifically.

I did prefer mates being listed once. Children are still listed by mate, but the parent name is repeated. On shorter progenies it's not too bad, but on ones with a lot of children it makes it difficult to pick out the "See Children" links. (ex. All one mate.) I do like the grandchildren being shown horizontally, though.

I'd much prefer to still have children clearly defined by mate. It's annoying and ugly to see them all squished together like that and see the mate's name pointlessly listed a dozen times.

I wanna change it back. I was there when it changed and it was more difficult to see than the old one

I am not happy with the new progeny display. It's like a run on sentence trying to tell who the other parent of an offspring is.

Example Quick, tell me how many mates he has children with. There needs to be better distinction on mate name compared to the rest of the text.

Awful. sad.gif Is there a way to change it back?

I definitely prefer listing offspring sorted by mate. The new display looks very untidy to me.

It's easier for me on mobile tbh I like it in that sense

It's really ugly and cluttered. I preferred the old way, myself, with the sorting done by mates. The 'SEE CHILDREN' button is very large and distracting too, whereas in the older version it was much easier to ignore if you didn't care to see other progeny. It made skimming to find certain dragons easier too, which is now harder to do with the addition of father/mother and the text all being the same size and color.

When clicking to see the other offspring, it just looks like a whole bunch of words and codes and is very unpleasing to look at. It's not an issue of change being hard to adapt and get used to so much as I find it ugly, cluttered, and not an improvement over the old one.

(I'm on mobile, so who knows if what I'm seeing is the finished version.)

Definitely by mate was better! [/size]

It was much clearer and it was showing it clear that e.g. my dragons are monogamous, (or sb else's has exactly 2 fixed mates or some egualnumbers of offsppring per mate or whatever or not at all and would breed with anything - helpful e.g if one requests offrpring of some dragons when allowed to, but e.g. the mates are restircted to the already used - now it's almost impossible to find which were) now it's not:/

I take great pride in my dragon's progenies, now the very thing I'm taking pride on is NOT noticeable without the viewer seeking for it specifically and hardly anoone would (since majority of people breed at random and just by breed and don't care):/

The current not-by-mate progeny view defeats the very purpose I had to work hard on expanding the progenies of my dragons - all those regular breedings I did now became a pure waste of time to me, because the very thing I was doing it for - to promote the rare monogamy - is now to go unnoticed by 99% of viewers while it used to be pretty striking before:(

Also I noticed it's very difficult to even find the links to the offspring's progeny with all that current clutter of links which the mate's repeated link now introduced. Returning to the previous "by mate" but applying the new offspring's progeny filling the space to the side would work much much better in terms of overall clarity. I honestly can't fish out which of the offspring has their further progeny anymore... and will never be sure how many I didn't notice while trying to check out all... E.g. here I managed to find just 2 https://dragcave.net/progeny/gGhDt and I think there were a bit more... but even if I spend a while looking again and again I won't be sure if I found all or not yet, and which I already found before and which for the 1st time...

It used to be easier to find if you wanted when it was like the only link in there.

Please, HIGHLIGHT THE MATE AND SORT BY IT again[/size]

Honestly, by Vampires this was not even suggested, I was sure this planned progeny update would be mostly about adding "bred on" dates to the offspring (this is what looked different by the Vamps)... I can't see in what way the new breedig progeny feels alike to the Vampire progeny now...

(fontings used for easier reference to the most important points)

~Large font removed as it comes off as yelling at other users.~

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Yikes, no need to yell like that sad.gif

It'll take time getting used to the new listing ... But as far as I can tell, offspring is *stil* sorted by mate.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

(I'm on mobile, so who knows if what I'm seeing is the finished version.)

I've checked on both, it's not great on both.

I really don't have a comment either way on the other changes within this, but I think going back to grouping under mate headers is a must. I mean, the dragons are STILL grouping by mate, just in a not clearly defined way and with the mate's name repetitively and excessively listed over and over and over. Subdividing by mate like it was before makes way more sense: it's less cluttered with repeat info, and is easier to visually discern.

ETA: the more I look at it the more I'm not sure why it was changed to begin with. Other than the mate confusion, what's the point of listing an offspring's mate? A name or random code usually doesn't say much, 99% of the time I'm going to have to go to that dragon's page to learn more anyway, and children's children still lead to a cutoff page, so it doesn't seem super different there either...

*Shrugs*

More ETA:

You know what COULD be useful? Going back to the old divvy up by mate thing, but show a tiny icon if said mate, so I don't have to rummage through my Rosebud's dozen plus mates to figure out if I ever tried breeding her with a certain breed or not. It would be left aligned like the main dragon/ image (maybe a bit less so, though) so it'd be clear it was a mate you were seeing, not an offspring.

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I'm realizing I often consulted the offspring list not to see a dragon's offspring, but to see the dragon's previous mates.

The new design isn't really suitable for that purpose anymore since there's no visual separation between different mates.

(Of course it never was a perfect "mate list" anyway since it only showed those that produced offspring. But it was still better than the "breed" link that is only available when the dragon is available for breeding, only lists mates currently available for breeding, and takes forever* to load.)

I think the new design is okay for seeing offspring and bad for seeing mates. So rather than changing it back I would like to have some "show all previous mates" feature (but that's getting off-topic here).

* "Forever" compared to other pages. Not literally forever. Except in that sense of "literally" where it means "figuratively".

I'm realizing I often consulted the offspring list not to see a dragon's offspring, but to see the dragon's previous mates.

This. Can we have it back please - at least as an option.

If highlighting the mate (instead of the link by each offspring item) coudl only be a mere option, then I'd like the parent owner to be able to 'force' the view type for anyone visiting THEIR dragons' progenies if they want - "my dragon, I decide how I want people to see it" - the way scroll sorting works, the scroll owner is the one who forces the sorting view for THEIR dragons and I beleive this shoudl be maintained for the progeny view if there are to be any options to choose.

But I'd honestly rather the links go away and have the mate 'divider' thing back INSTEAD, like really, the clutter of links in the current view is horrible (messy/unclear/overwhelming) to deal with

Edited by VixenDra

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of this update. All of the other birthday "gifts" were great - the raffles, the new trophy, the pretty new dragons - but this one was definitely not up there for me. I tend to not visit progeny pages often anyway, but I don't think I will at all anymore if it means picking through a long list of offspring just to find a mate.

I would also like to have an option to choose how the page is organized.

I'm going to close this and ask that we revisit this in a few weeks with actionable suggestions. Looking over the first post, what I see is "this changed, my opinion is this, what do you think?" There's no clear request for a change to focus the discussion around. There's a lot of "I do/don't like this;" the implication being to keep/undo the progeny changes, but implication is insufficient, and I don't think "this change didn't hit the mark so go back to the old thing" is constructive.

The reason I ask for a delay before bringing this up is that the changes have been out for a day. Obviously muscle memory is pretty strong and there's going to be some initial friction where you try to use the page the way it was before and that doesn't work. If that friction persists, then let's talk about it, but it's too early to say that just yet.