Kaini

Raffle Discussion

Me too, Dragoness! I mean, I would TRY the CB Gold thing, but I know if would never happen. Only people with incredible luck could manage that. 

I could easily see "raise 3 metallics" working, though. As long as Gold wyverns and coppers counted as metals. I have a ton of coppers (dunno why, I hate them) and a fair amount of wyverns. Enough to easily fulfill the raffle reqs. And I don't release dragons, ever, no matter how awful their lineage might be or how ugly the sprite is. Like those Ash dragons. Geez, I hate them SO much. I only have 4. I wouldn't have even raised those if I had known how hideous they were gonna be. No offense to the spriter, of course. It's excellently done, but I don't like the "brutish" looking dragons. I like the ethereal, angelic looking ones, like Boreals. I also hated the Plated Colossus. Ugh. Strangely, they look great with the Ash dragons though. 

I'd like to see what kind of awful reaction would result if the next raffle was "raise 3 drakes"..cuz almost everyone I know HATES drakes for some reason. I love them. Honeydrakes are SO cute!

The 'big fuss' is that it's overly restrictive and limiting. If it was 'raise 3 westerns' it wouldn't be an issue, but we literally only have two wyrm breeds in the game to choose from. Most players have specific goals with this game, and putting those goals aside for a week to raise three of a specific breed that they don't want is sort of a big deal to a lot of people. Especially since we have such limited 'growing things' slots in the first place, taking up 3 of those slots for a week on something you don't actually want is frustrating. Yes, if you want to enter the raffle bad enough you'll do it regardless, but the old requirement's vagueness meant that people could enter the raffle without interrupting their goals and the way they like to play. That changing so suddenly to something as restrictive as 'only two breeds count' is bound to be frustrating to many people.

edit: Even 'raise 3 metallics' or even drakes would be much less limiting then the wyrm one. There are, what, 4 'metallic' breeds, Silver, Gold, Copper, and Golden Wyvern? And plenty of drake breeds to choose from. 

Edited by HeatherMarie

Urgh. I have a feeling "raise 3 drakes" is going to happen sooner or later, though I wish it didn't. I really, really don't like drakes at all. They have all these super-strict restrictions on them for no good reason, and all the drakes we've had so far have... not really caught my attention in any way. Well, I guess Tatterdrakes looked pretty neat but I do not like any drake species that have been released so far. I can definitely handle raising three of them to enter the raffle, but I'd probably kill or release them all immediately after entering.

And PLEASE no "raise 3 metallics"! Even with Coppers and Golden Wyverns included in it, that would probably be needlessly hard to achieve for new players and people who just don't have tons of Coppers or GWs to breed or something.

From what I've seen with this new raffle my best guess would be that the community will breed anything required in huge numbers for the AP just so newbies and others with bad luck can get their 3 dragons to enter the raffle. (I was amazed how willingly people did that for the xenos)

Also, I actually welcome the little push to raise dragons you wouldn't otherwise :) I'm looking forward to pygmy / drake / two-headed requirements because I usually don't go for them that much.

I just hope that the raffle will stay varied and won't repeat itself every few months (as in 3-6)...

If the "raise 3 wyrms" requirement has a big impact on your playstyle, that's unfortunate but unavoidable. Only the individual can decide whether they want to take on the challenge and enter or not. I'm sure there will be cons to every new requirement we see this year. But...it's only 3 dragons. They don't have to be kept after they mature. And so many generous people are giving them away, even as hatchlings. So yes, I do think it's a big fuss over a fairly tame thing. I didn't like the wyrm requirement either, but I sacrificed 3 egg slots for a week and got it over with. Even as someone who does keep all of their egg slots full 95% of the time, it didn't have a huge impact on me. If others felt that it limited them much more, that sucks but at least the month isn't over quite yet. Best of luck to them. I'm hopeful that next month's requirement will be different so fewer people feel that way,

Metallics, on the other hand, are rare and can be incredibly difficult to breed at times (even Golden Wyverns and Coppers). Far more restrictive than wyrms, IMO, even if we only have Xenos and Red-Taileds. And, speaking from experience, Metallics are so daunting to new players. They're harder to trade for and fewer people are willing to gift them. It took me months to get my first (messy) Silver.

As long as raising specific breeds/types are required for entry, it will be limiting. Even if the chosen type is Western. Certain people will be excluded because they don't like the dragon(s)/don't have enough slots/can't catch or trade for the dragon(s)/etc. and that's just a (sad) fact. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed for next month, right? 

44 minutes ago, Soulsborne said:

From what I've seen with this new raffle my best guess would be that the community will breed anything required in huge numbers for the AP just so newbies and others with bad luck can get their 3 dragons to enter the raffle. (I was amazed how willingly people did that for the xenos)

Also, I actually welcome the little push to raise dragons you wouldn't otherwise :) I'm looking forward to pygmy / drake / two-headed requirements because I usually don't go for them that much.

I just hope that the raffle will stay varied and won't repeat itself every few months (as in 3-6)...

I am also SO looking forward to the raise pygmy/two-headed requirements if it happens! I NEED some pygmies from certain lineages and some PB two-headeds to help with my lineages for them, and with people breeding a lot of them to the AP, it'll help SO much! The drakes...not so much. I don't like them, except Honeydrakes, like I said. They just aren't attractive. I also don't really want a "freeze 3 hatchies" entry requirement.... :(

Yeah, the freezing thing would be something I'd do and then probably release them afterwards. At least it doesn't take as long as raising adult dragons :)

1. TJ personally said he will be using things listed in the encyclopedia. So it sounds to me we can expect themes (like the following list) for future Raffles: Body Style, Body Type, Breed Subsection, Elemental Affinity, Biome Where Found, etc. Some of those things on my list may be basically the same thing, just said different ways (like Body style & Breed Subsection, but they can also be different sometimes).

2. While "Wyrms" are not currently common on breed choice, I don't think they will remain that way over the next 6-12 months. The in-game and other artists have spent well over a year focusing upon and drawing & submitting dragons with more variety & variation than just straight Western Dragons. While that can include things such as more unique body styles & colors on Western Dragons, that also really has attempted to much more of the following: Two-Headed, Pygmies, Lindwurm, Wyrm, Drake, etc. All of the Dragons Subsections & Body Types that exist. Releases of both dragons & site updates are pre-planned, so it is very possible there could be a release of a Wyrm dragon this month, or an intro of the fact we can now buy non-biome specific varieties of dragons that DO NOT exist in the caves (like the Xenos in the Marketplace, Coppers as well, but the Xenos are very well priced especially...) or maybe none of that, but we are going to have more Wyrms in the coming months, regardless of this Raffle Theme. TJ may have chosen it randomly, and it was just a tough choice considering a lot of the options have more dragon breeds. At least for now....

3. I am glad for a little more work for the Raffles. We used to have to be at least play or start, sometimes complete the Xmas games/events to get a single Raffle Entry. So if you were unable or did not wish to log on at that time of year or to play the game, you got no ticket or chance to win. With the monthly raffles, if you miss a part of the year or have limited access, at least with a new raffle each month you still have chances to enter! And for those who are more active are going to have more chances and more likely to be able to enter for that month. This, I believe, will allow the more active players a greater chance to win, which really makes me happy because, honestly, I would like those who have been around longer, or are more involved with the community, or those who are known to be generous and kind to have a better chance of winning rather than someone who is just going to freeze their Prize or kill it or leave the game a few months later who either could care less for the Prize win or want to Troll people to purposely upset others who did not win. I understand it is "their" dragon to do with as they wish. But when it is a limited resource, those actions have larger consequences, See Point 4.

4. Market Demand has been met and/or will have better chances of being met. It was a real issue with Prizes being crazy expensive for a long period of time and people who just about would never have a chance of getting a 2G, and a 3G offspring was very highly rare. I'm OK if TJ decides to never bring back CB Hybrids as a raffle prize win. I wanted one of these for a very long time, but even though some have left the game, others are very generous and kind with their giving and breeding, and there are also Thuweds, so it helps a lot with those "other options" besides Prizes. TJ may or may not change his mind in the future, but ultimately I am glad I won mine when I did vs. earlier, as I feel I am able to share in a more positive way and also pay back and pay forward those who were very kind to me or donated and I got very lucky in the past. But I really like that, because there are enough Prize dragons these days and getting a 2G is a lot more likely these days, especially if you want a specific choice of mate, it can actually happen vs. shots in the dark. And because of that, I was not flooded and everyone has respected any wishes I have stated. I just didn't expect that, as I was returning from some time away and just remember all the "before" stuff. It's been going on for a year or more at this time, and I feel its been really helpful. And if this helps the more active people have a better chance at winning one, I hope that happens! And I think it will, and makes the Encyclopedia even more useful & interesting!

2 minutes ago, Natayah said:

4. Market Demand has been met and/or will have better chances of being met. It was a real issue with Prizes being crazy expensive for a long period of time and people who just about would never have a chance of getting a 2G, and a 3G offspring was very highly rare.

Well, no, not really. There will still only be those few CB prizes for the huge number of players.

1 hour ago, Soulsborne said:

Yeah, I'm kinda really looking forward to possible drake/pygmy/two-head AP walls when and if those become a requirement. Those breeds are hard to make lineages with in the first place because of the breeding restrictions, so I think it might help get more lineages out there for people to get interested in. And for me, it's doubly-hard to find a truly messy-lineaged drake/etc because of the limited breeding, so hopefully more lineages out there in general might make that easier too. 

12 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Well, no, not really. There will still only be those few CB prizes for the huge number of players.

Yeah, this. The 'market demand' is only better in terms of more opportunity for 2nd-gen trading (although even that is still fairly difficult most of the time, and it's really pure blind luck whether you are able to find someone to trade with, especially since Prizes aren't always great breeders...). While there may be more CBs around then there was a year ago, that doesn't at all mean that the demand for *cavebreds* has dropped or been met in any way. CB Prizes are still only owned by a very very tiny portion of users.

7 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

Yeah, this. The 'market demand' is only better in terms of more opportunity for 2nd-gen trading (although even that is still fairly difficult most of the time, and it's really pure blind luck whether you are able to find someone to trade with, especially since Prizes aren't always great breeders...). While there may be more CBs around then there was a year ago, that doesn't at all mean that the demand for *cavebreds* has dropped or been met in any way. CB Prizes are still only owned by a very very tiny portion of users.

I agree with this...it's so sad that no matter how many shards we save, for how many YEARS, some of us will still never see that CB Prize we've been wanting for so long. Or even a special 2G Prize we've coveted. I understand WHY the prizes aren't in the market, it just makes me sad that only a tiny bit of players will get CB Prizes. And some people even have 3 or 4 CB Prizes, while others have none! That never felt right to me. But hey, it's RNG. I learned from World of Warcraft that you can't control RNG. :(

And the two-headed walls...please let this happen. I realllly want to continue my long lineaged two-headed EG without inbreeding! I made it to 6EG so far with no inbreeding, but can't get past that unless I fill every slot with two-headeds each week!

I raised 3 wyrms:

1 xenowyrm thalassa

1 xenowyrm pyro

1 2-headed lyndwyrm

raffle says that I only raised 2 wyrms

why? aren't lyndwyrms considered wyrms?

2 minutes ago, jis99 said:

I raised 3 wyrms:

1 xenowyrm thalassa

1 xenowyrm pyro

1 2-headed lyndwyrm

raffle says that I only raised 2 wyrms

why? aren't lyndwyrms considered wyrms?

Only the xenowyrms and the red-tailed wyrm pygmy count as wyrms. Apparently the lyndwyrm is a different body type.

2 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

Only the xenowyrms and the red-tailed wyrm pygmy count as wyrms. Apparently the lyndwyrm is a different body type.

OK, thanks!

I'm not complaining about the raffle challenge now that we know for sure that the pygmy wyrms count. As others have stated, it could be worse. As long as the Encyclopedia is correct about the raffle requirements, since the wiki is unreliable, it shouldn't be all that horrible to enter. Just more challenging than raising 3 random adult dergs, so people entering day 1 will probably be less, which is still okay. We've got all month to enter.

"Raise 3 CB Golds" would be pretty unachievable for a majority of the player base, so I pray that NEVER happens. Even "raise 3 metallics" could be rough. I didn't get my first Silver (messy AP one but whatever, metal is metal) for over a year, so RIP any players (new or old) without connections to the best-of-the-best players. Granted, it'd be a fast way to eliminate almost all of the raffle competition...but then we'd be back to the "popularity contest" formula of things, which I don't think would be viewed very well by most players.

But based on what TJ listed for possible future raffle requirements (biomes, body types, elements), I highly doubt he'd narrow it overly badly, such as to CB-Golds-only levels. This raffle just happens to only allow two very specific kinds of dergs. We'll have to be patient and see what happens next month.

I would personally also love to see some "raise 3 water-based dragons". Super easy to get, some are rare, some are super common, etc, but almost all are really pretty! And you can just grab 3 Coast eggs and be done. Or get a water-based dragon from somewhere else, if Ice counts as water. Elements would definitely be a cool challenge! No ice-pun intended. 

Making them from certain biomes only could create problems at the start, like say one month it was the Forest. The Forest would probably be empty for nearly half the month before getting back to near-normal. However, it would help the whole cave-blocking thing, and keep that particular biome moving.

Meh, not really looking forward to raising two-headeds if they ever become a requirement. Not one has ever really caught my interest but I suppose it would force me to get out of my comfort zone.:P

I don't care what the future requirements are, as long as they are a bit broader than the current one. I think that for a lot of people, "raise 3 wyrms" is synonymous with "raise 3 red-tailed wyrms" since xenos are so uncommon. I don't think that'll be an issue though, since literally every body type is broader than wyrm (counting xenos as one breed) :P

...... Evil thought: Raise 3 Neglecteds. Create 3 Zombies. Bwahahahaha! I bet there would be so few people entering then that every single person who entered would win. 

The biome-requirement makes me a little nervous, since the only CBs I normally actually raise (as opposed to trading) are Unbreedables and it's rather random luck where most of them pop up (except Dinos). I'm curious, if there is a certain-biome requirement one month, maybe that month's new releases will all be in that biome? That might make things easier. But yeah, I do think a lot of the frustration about the wyrm requirement (at least to me!) was how few wyrms we actually have. A western requirement would be easy-peasy. So would eastern, or almost any other body type besides wyrms.

3 metallic dragons wouldn't be overly hard.  Prizes are also metallic, and there are always tons of super messy one floating around.  It's only hard if you insist on only pretty or lowgen versions. 

Restrictive or not, this is the system people was wanting - people cannot have it both ways. New goals to make the entry more interesting. YES it may mean that some people can't make it due to not having the required dragons on scroll. And admittedly this was a more difficult challenge -  due to the low number of wyrm types. But it won't be wyrms every month. 

There is still twenty days to achieve the entry requirements, I am seeing a fair amount of wyrm eggs in the AP. Just grab some, grow them. If Bred eggs aren't your thing, abandon the adults later. (or use as zombie fodder)

I doubt that TJ would make something as extremely restrictive as obtaining zombies or neglected - I think slag would hit the rotor blades.

On ‎9‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 3:48 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

And that's a problem - why  ? You want to enter a raffle, you do the necessary. IF I ever entered the lottery I would very much begrudge paying for a ticket (it feels like paying for nothing and so far always has been !) - but you have to be in it to win it.

I just feel it would be far better if, more than just an "activity check" forcing people to scrounge around for rare breed types or breed unwanted dragons, it was also used to help other players in some way.  Have people raise known cave blockers to help move the biomes along.  Make it so you can enter by breeding and not raising, possibly making it more likely that people can pick up nice 2gs or lineages in the AP.  

When you enter the lottery, you pay your money and hope.  You don't have to spend hours searching for dollar bills with certain serial codes, or change with certain dates on it.  I know the lottery is an attempt to keep players on the site hunting for eggs longer (and that ad money rolling in) but this particular change makes that more obvious than I really feel great about.  I prefer something like the market, where I can at least "grind" out some of the dragons that I want, even if it takes forever.  

3 hours ago, lean2fire said:

Have people raise known cave blockers to help move the biomes along.  Make it so you can enter by breeding and not raising, possibly making it more likely that people can pick up nice 2gs or lineages in the AP.  

When the raffle was first re-introduced we were told there would be different requirements:  raise dragons one month, maybe breed another, freeze the the third.  It's just taken a while for that to be implemented.  And it is likely more a random rng thing that happened to pop-up a requirement to raise a breed type that is still somewhat rare. 

Oh I hope there won't be a freeze requirement some month. A lot of people don't freeze at all, some for moral reasons (I've seen people talking about the ethics of forcing a hatchling to remain forever-young...). That would be almost as bad as having a 'kill 3 adults' requirement. I really hope this wyrm requirement is not representative of how limiting and difficult all requirements will be in the future, that it's just a coincidence that the first requirement variation happened to be a body type we have so few of in the game. I'd much rather see variations like 'raise three different breeds' or 'use three BSAs', more vague so people can have more freedom with what they do to enter. 

7 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Oh I hope there won't be a freeze requirement some month. A lot of people don't freeze at all, some for moral reasons (I've seen people talking about the ethics of forcing a hatchling to remain forever-young...). That would be almost as bad as having a 'kill 3 adults' requirement. I really hope this wyrm requirement is not representative of how limiting and difficult all requirements will be in the future, that it's just a coincidence that the first requirement variation happened to be a body type we have so few of in the game. I'd much rather see variations like 'raise three different breeds' or 'use three BSAs', more vague so people can have more freedom with what they do to enter. 

I don't know what requirements we will actually see, just that that was a suggested possibility when the monthly raffles started.  but I expect at least "raise all body types" (wyrms, westerns, Amphipteres , possibly pygmies/drakes/two-headed as well)  will be included in the shuffle, but most will still be easier because wyrms, I think are the least populated subtype currently.