Kaini

Raffle Discussion

Congrats to the winners :D

*deep breath* Ok, I got a win, and I am super very grateful. It came at a really nice time, it's been a crazy week and weekend, fun OT closing out shift running into another week of crazy OT on top of holiday but love them monies - Anyways, I was so back to back with work craziness I came home, logged in for my evening wind down (an hour later even after the extra OT) and got a very nice surprise. Ok, that said - I am still getting this forum searching thing down, did a huge search, cannot find the prior threads I was looking for but really I just wanted to find a place where I can discuss or find the group of people who track Prize Wins, cause I'd really really like to Gender the baby in a way that would be helpful to the Community. But I have know idea where the Stats stand on "active" vs "inactive" prize owners, and if anyone knows that group or person(s), while I'd prefer a post here, I understand if this isn't a discussion thread and would be ok with a few PMs with that info (especially if you are involved with that): So I guess I get to share - Gold Western. That said: I am really really just starting to readjust myself to the forums and finally got the warm screen light filter I needed to follow up on old PMs and promises. So anyone who got a PM from me about a promised Breeding, I will be doing that for you, ok to PM me, I'll update the sig and profile in a few, But Please Please do not send me any requests for offers or trades or anything or you will go on ignore. Seriously, I just got back into reading thru my PM box mostly daily as of a few days ago. That said - Let me be clear I have been regularly active with collecting and hatching me some CB Cave lovelies over the past 4-6 weeks, especially adding newer ones to update my scroll or other codes and lovelies, and variably in between, so I didn't just randomly become an "inactive user who won oh yay."

Summary: I am looking for Prize Gender Needs for the Community, I've had off and break time ongoing for the past - less than a year, but enough to be lost vs. my prior activity, and want to get that info from the forums, the people who track it, or where to talk about it. Nothing Else. Thanks. Let me go update that Profile and sig now.

Huh, gender distribution among the various Prize colours/types would actually be an interesting thing to know. If there is a place that collects those statistics, I don't think it's on the forums?

Congrats, lucky winner people!  :)

*nibbles a no-win cookie*

I did "win" a stray cat yesterday evening though (found while walking the dog, noticed it was in a bad way and brought it home), and it's staying with us for the moment.  Poor lil soul is desperately thin and has clearly had some bad injuries in the past, but it's surprisingly friendly for all that.

@Natayah Not sure how helpful it is, but the wiki does link to some prizes (so you can see their genders) and a lot of recent winners who I have dealt with have male prizes. I think you can stop in the breeding thread and ask there. Will link shortly as I am mobile.

Edit: Link to CB prize breed. 

@RubyEyes Yes! LOL

Edited by Jazeki

4 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

@Natayah Not sure how helpful it is, but the wiki does link to some prizes (so you can see their genders) and a lot of recent winners who I have dealt with have male prizes. I think you can stop in the breeding thread and ask there. Will link shortly as I am mobile.

This one, perchance?

https://forums.dragcave.net/topic/181450-cb-prize-breeding/

Welp, I've been lowkey following the thread ever since the monthly raffle started. It's been great to see prizes going out again, and I think the once a month drawing is a big improvement over the yearly contests.

To my surprise, Snape has a new friend from the June raffle. Ilvermorny precog'd female, so I hope to do a 2nd gen PB Tinsel raffle sometime in August/September (or a couple of separate 2nd gen raffles if they refuse each other 😛). I remember @Nine ran several raffles in the Games forum, and it seemed to go pretty well. I'd be curious to hear any thoughts or advice since I've only given away eggs directly through PM or by sending them to the AP.

@Natayah I'd also love to know the distribution of genders/breeds among the active prizes. There definitely used to be more active female gold Tinsels than male, but I think things have evened out a lot since the monthly raffle started.

Edited by Sycamore

4 hours ago, Sycamore said:

I'd also love to know the distribution of genders/breeds among the active prizes. There definitely used to be more active female gold Tinsels than male, but I think things have evened out a lot since the monthly raffle started. 

I kinda had that thought, I know that Males *USED* to be a dying breed among them, so yes, I figured the Raffles had probably (hopefully) evened it out some over the year or such (5x12=.. even factoring some inactivity or dropping out.... a lot more in the pot), but I just wanted to verify. Thank you!

@Sycamore Ah yeah, raffles are fun stuff! There were surely some things I would improve upon though. One thing was that since I only held a raffle after I had successfully bred an egg, and I wanted to make sure there was ample time (~4 days) for the winner to pick it up in case they were egg-locked, that'd leave only around 3 days for people to find the thread and enter it. Since the raffle threads were always hosted in Forum Games, I felt there wasn't as much foot traffic and as not many people knew about it in time. My last raffle only had about 2 pages of people, so I definitely felt like I wasn't getting as much exposure as I could and doing the raffle justice.

I think if you can manage to get the word out and have lots of people know about it beforehand, you'll be set for a successful raffle 😃 Advertising on the Discord server may be a good idea (or IRC or whatever, I am so behind the times). Maybe threads could even be allowed in the Trading subforum nowadays? I'm stoked to see more and more winners holding raffles/gifting!

Edit: Darn smilies, ruining my classically superior "=)" s.

Edited by Nine

I had some good success with the TMB raffle I ran in the Trade section - plus it helps to lower the AP times and get more commons out into the population.  I should do another one; I only haven't because life's been kind of sucky recently.

On 5/31/2018 at 4:09 PM, Shokomon said:

On 5/31/2018 at 12:37 PM, Amazon_warrior said:

Just as well I baked up a fresh plate of "No Win Here" cookies!  *hands them around*

Congrats to anyone who did win, though :)

1876910062_NoWinCookie.png.2d1a1f0540c7d1be7e9b16393a6dec37.png

Have a terrible cookie. (Sorry, I couldn't help it.)

No win here, but congrats to all the winners! :D

Reblogging because still no win.

Congrats to the winners though!

On 7/3/2018 at 2:31 AM, Amazon_warrior said:

I had some good success with the TMB raffle I ran in the Trade section - plus it helps to lower the AP times and get more commons out into the population.  I should do another one; I only haven't because life's been kind of sucky recently.

I am up for helping to donate to these, but not so much good on the running side, but if I clean up my act, maybe I can go back to having a place for people to advertise stuffs, but donations are probably just as helpful too. I was wondering the status on TMB raffles specifically, thanks!

On 7/2/2018 at 6:37 AM, Amazon_warrior said:

I did "win" a stray cat yesterday evening though (found while walking the dog, noticed it was in a bad way and brought it home), and it's staying with us for the moment.  Poor lil soul is desperately thin and has clearly had some bad injuries in the past, but it's surprisingly friendly for all that.

Conga Rats and a gigantic Whoo Hoo!!!  to the winners of new dragons, but we all know who the real winner is here, right?  New Kitty - surprisingly friendly - it's @Amazon_warrior for the Mega Win!!!

@Natayah - donations are awesome too!  A few very kind people donated lovely things for the TMB raffle I ran.  Running one is a bit of a fiddle, which is partly why I haven't run one lately (that and the last few times I tried to breed LC for an egg to raffle, she gave me a 'kin or nothing :s).

@Grandmother_cathie - alas, that tale doesn't have the best ending.  Turns out that, although he was in a shocking state, the cat actually *did* have owners around and so I had to give him back to them, despite the fact that they didn't seem to give a stuff about his health or welfare.  It's really difficult, I was raised to have a very strong sense of responsibility for any animals under my care.  :,(  At least he got a trip to the vets and treatment for the fleas (and almost certainly worms) he was riddled with, and there is a chance the animal welfare peeps may get involved, am waiting to hear.

On 7/5/2018 at 1:19 PM, Amazon_warrior said:

@Grandmother_cathie - alas, that tale doesn't have the best ending.  Turns out that, although he was in a shocking state, the cat actually *did* have owners around and so I had to give him back to them, despite the fact that they didn't seem to give a stuff about his health or welfare.  It's really difficult, I was raised to have a very strong sense of responsibility for any animals under my care.  :,(  At least he got a trip to the vets and treatment for the fleas (and almost certainly worms) he was riddled with, and there is a chance the animal welfare peeps may get involved, am waiting to hear.

We were raised and raised our own the same way.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for Kitty Karma to the owners.

On 7/2/2018 at 9:14 PM, Nine said:

I think if you can manage to get the word out and have lots of people know about it beforehand, you'll be set for a successful raffle 😃 Advertising on the Discord server may be a good idea (or IRC or whatever, I am so behind the times). Maybe threads could even be allowed in the Trading subforum nowadays? I'm stoked to see more and more winners holding raffles/gifting!

We always welcome raffles with 2g Prizes on the Discord and I'm sure the IRC would welcome those as well (I can't speak for the people there however). I would totally be behind such threads as long as there are people willing to hold giveaway/raffles. 

Hey, I'm not trying to step on any toes here, - but I am trying to "REBOOT" the Player Events & Activities Thread. I know a lot of you used that for a period of time, and I'd greatly appreciate it if some of you would be willing to look at it again, and share, so I can get it "udpated" with what is new, remove anything outdated, and then, I find raffles **VERTY** easy on Forum Threads, but we can even make a big special day on Discord or IRC and just have old fashioned ongoing lottos for hours on end like we used to. Or people can just run thread raffle/giveaways on the Thread that just seemed as easy.

I miss you, and So I hope that maybe we can get some things shaking and instead of them just sitting around not getting the attention the deserve, multiple people can come to ONE spot and find multiple things to do ongoing and upcoming, and maybe get inspired to do something on their own in the future, or heck, if you just love gifting, these are some of the **BEST** ways to gift your beloved eggs and lines.

I've gotten better at the forums, but still not where we needed it to be, and I think if we do more Player run raffles, giveaways, games and such in between various dragon releases, special games/holiday related fun, new releases and more - that we help fill in the gap and make it feel like there is a never ending party. So you may not have won a CB Prize this month **BUT** you might have earned some really pretty and cool stuff just as well you really enjoy and makes your scroll feel a little bit more prestigious or whatever, or something on your wish list finally getting filled, or something you never knew how badly you wanted it until you **SAW** it for the very first time.

TJ is awesome to give once per month raffles compared to prior. But I think as Players, we are awesome enough to give ourselves ongoing raffles and events and fun stuff to also add more fun on TOP of anything the mods and admins do because lets be honest, there are more of us than there are of them, and if we get the ball started rolling correctly, there can be so much going on it can be hard keeping up on some if it at times and you need PM reminders when they open for donations, open for entries, and announce winners & win to pick up by so you make sure you are juggling your scroll in a way that makes room for all your lovelies you win and donate!

Ongoing Raffles that occur and reoccur every week or two or less is a pretty awesome thing. We've had it before, and still do have it, we just need a good central place that ties and links them all together for one easy reference! So if you are in the mood to at least say hello, please do so and we'll get that ball rolling. You won't even believe the number of raffle type games and others we have done in the past that are just so much fun and so positive you could win a pile of dirt and feel on top of the world for it. Because these are individuals who care and the winners care too. You don't have random people you've never heard of, and may never hear from again. And I think that is one of the reasons they can be a lot more fun. You make friends with everyone involved no matter what and there isn't ongoing concern and negativity with people trying to always state how TJ never does enough (not saying any of you do that), but when people feel disappointed, honestly, I've never had someone disappointed in these types of events because even if something goes a little wrong, it is usually able to easily be fixed by a rebreeding or someone replacing it (not even always the same person, but another who steps up to flll the shoes) to offer something of equal or greater value. That is what I call Everyone Winning Together, and never growing Tired of Winning and because of these great actions, we develop closer bonds and friendships that run a lot deeper and trust people and it makes us even more encouraged to want to pay it forward, share the information with others to enjoy (especially newer people, they are SO excited about these events as they get what are normally AMAZING dragons for them and are just beyond words), and some even go on to build/host their own raffles and events. And frankly, we are into July.... August comes soon, and then into September and October we can do smaller things depending on dates, but people are starting to get ready for "Halloween". So I'd like to get all our stuff updated well before then and get people into the habit of remembering or experiencing for the first time how much is out there created by our own communities. And the Mods appreciate these two and also enjoy getting the chance to enter and/or join in for the fun for a change BUT also sometimes donate really fun things to win too! The ENTIRE community. Not just a few people. It probably feels more fair and there is more to go around, so I think that is ultimately the drive of a lot of people loving these raffles so much.

I'm with you, natayah - if someone sets up ongoing raffles again, I will breed pretties (give me some warning, though, as I am usually locked !) But I am too absent minded to run one myself.

It's nicest when these things happen on forum - the most inclusive option. I just wish there were a way to avoid the prizes offered being bombed, though :( As I recall, that killed some a while ago.

i'd be happy to breed a prize and other pretties for a forum raffle :) 

natayah, i'm so happy you decided to gender your gold tinsel male, but maybe it was just so you could call him trump :lol: . the name really suits him.

i'm never going to look at a gold tinsel in quite the same way now.

Edited by greycat

so far I take the cookies every month :P congrats to all the winners though!

(does anybody know if people are able to win multiple times? thinking about raised chances with less participants every month^^)

1 minute ago, Kiwiana said:

does anybody know if people are able to win multiple times?

yes, you can win multiple times