Kaini

Raffle Discussion

8 minutes ago, Draketeeth said:

I didn't realize that raising Christmas dragons did not count towards the "adults raised" raffle entry status. Mine grew up, but my status says the only adult I've raised was a regular dragon from earlier in the month. :(

It was reset last night, so I would think only things that grew up today would count!

10 hours ago, Earth Gurl said:

I wish there was a way for me to earn mine as I am honestly 100% sure I will never win a raffle in my life. I have 0 luck in raffles, but I can work hard. :( but I'll try again every month anyway. Congrats to whoever won! :) 

Same, I think last time I actually won anything i was 4 years old!

10 minutes ago, Karobb said:

So, just to prove to myself I am not going crazy (ha)  I went through the trading prize thread for posts in December.   I do know that not everyone posts there, and also some completed trades have been removed, still I think it is a good representation of what is going on with 2nd gens

of 38 2nd gens posted

27 specifically were for a 2nd gen swap with no other options

3 were for cb hollies

1 was okay with a 2nd gen or an ND

1 was okay with 2nd gen, 2nd gen spriters alt or cb gold

1 wanted a specific 2nd gen from female holly

1 was okay with an ND or cb Gold

1 was for 6 2nd gen holiday hatchies

1 asked for various obtainable things like cb zyus

1 was open to offers but it is a gold x gold shimmer, so like who can match that?

1 very generous person actually gifted a second gen in the thread

So out of 38 posts, there were only 11 that did not require you to already have a cb prize, of those, perhaps 4 were affordable to the average person

I am not saying people can not ask for or do not have the right to ask for whatever they want, was just trying to demonstrate that having more cb prizes has not actually made 2nd gens more available or accessible, it seems to have done the opposite as there are more cb prize owners to swap with.

yeah i've been seeing that too were most 2nd gen trades would like swaps. it sucks a bit for those of us who dont already have a cb prize but affordable trades do pop up every now and then. just gotta keep an eye out. 

On a happier note, nice to see a couple of long time members winning this month!! Congrats!

4 hours ago, Ariento said:

Ah, I'm more disappointed than I ought to be. I was hoping to win on today, my birthday, but I didn't. Maybe January will bring me better luck.

*hugs* Happy birthday! I was hoping to win in my bday month as well, but no luck here either. I'm rooting for you next month. :) 

28 minutes ago, Earth Gurl said:

*hugs* Happy birthday! I was hoping to win in my bday month as well, but no luck here either. I'm rooting for you next month. :) 

Thank you! I'm rooting for you as well!

1 hour ago, Draketeeth said:

I didn't realize that raising Christmas dragons did not count towards the "adults raised" raffle entry status. Mine grew up, but my status says the only adult I've raised was a regular dragon from earlier in the month. :(

They do count. I only had 3 holidays grow up today after the winners were drawn, and I could enter.

1 hour ago, Karobb said:

So, just to prove to myself I am not going crazy (ha)  I went through the trading prize thread for posts in December.   I do know that not everyone posts there, and also some completed trades have been removed, still I think it is a good representation of what is going on with 2nd gens

of 38 2nd gens posted

3 were for cb hollies

1 was open to offers but it is a gold x gold shimmer, so like who can match that?

So out of 38 posts, there were only 11 that did not require you to already have a cb prize, of those, perhaps 4 were affordable to the average person

I am not saying people can not ask for or do not have the right to ask for whatever they want, was just trying to demonstrate that having more cb prizes has not actually made 2nd gens more available or accessible, it seems to have done the opposite as there are more cb prize owners to swap with.

You're not going crazy. I've noticed that more and more people have been asking for swaps or CB Metals/Neglecteds only. I had to trade an arm and a leg for all 13 of my prizes, excluding the one I won in a giveaway (that was also the only contest I've ever won here). I also traded for an additional three this month with CB Hollies. But, honestly, their 3G offspring is barely worth a common hatchling, so the value really only lies in 2Gs. My hoard of 100+ 3G Prizes has gone unbred for weeks now. I almost have to beg people to take their eggs.

Unfortunately, that's just how it is. New winners will want to have low gen Prizes to breed (just like everyone else) and that's how you get them. They can breed their dragons however they like, of course, but it is sad to see the rarity of 2G Prizes spiking when monthly raffles were supposed to help with this. Oh well.

Congrats to the winners out there, especially the first timers. I'm sure your shiny babies made for a fantastic New Years surprise :)

2 hours ago, Karobb said:

of 38 2nd gens posted

3 were for cb hollies

yea that pretty much sums up what i see every time i go to the trading forums. And of course, of those 4 affordable trades, they will have many sending trade offers immediately on them while i'm scrambling to get the required eggs, or i see them late and they're already accepted =/ 

1 minute ago, Sirithiliel said:

yea that pretty much sums up what i see every time i go to the trading forums. And of course, of those 4 affordable trades, they will have many sending trade offers immediately on them while i'm scrambling to get the required eggs, or i see them late and they're already accepted =/ 

LOL maybe they will get bored of only collecting prizes! 

I think the part that disturbs me the most is many have multiple 1st gens.   Yes, I read the post where TJ said disallowing winners from entering for a period only slightly raised the chances, ya know in a year of raffles that would be 720 less people in the mix.   Even a 6 month waiting period would help increase the chances a bit and spread them around more!

Speaking of 2nd gen prizes ...

I'm holding a free raffle for one right now. Everyone should totally enter. 

It's no CB prize, but perhaps for one person it'll lessen the sting of not winning the monthly raffle. Or not. But hey, worth a shot right?

Edited by Nine

I have been following the discussion going on here. I congratulate the winners of this last raffle! :) 

It disturbs me that the value of a 3rd Gen Prize is worth less that a common dragon.

I have noted that several people have mentioned when they win a CB Prize they intend to only gift the offspring away (I have gifted prizes myself as well as traded them away for much less than what they are worth, happily).

I would like to see what would happen to the 2G market if many more people would gift the prizes away. The rarity of 2G would drop because of how common they become. I would think the higher gen prizes would increase in value again as a result.

My speculation may be wrong, but somehow, I would like that value gap to close between 2G and 3G, maybe even 4G.

While it would have been fun winning, I'm kinda glad I didn't win. I'm not all that active, so it doesn't bother me much anyways. *seriously tempted to do a Let It Go reference* XD

Congrats to this months winners, and those who won the raffle this year as well! To my fellow luckless folks, hopefully this new year will bring a shiny new prize!

2 hours ago, Karobb said:

LOL maybe they will get bored of only collecting prizes! 

I think the part that disturbs me the most is many have multiple 1st gens.   Yes, I read the post where TJ said disallowing winners from entering for a period only slightly raised the chances, ya know in a year of raffles that would be 720 less people in the mix.   Even a 6 month waiting period would help increase the chances a bit and spread them around more!

i can agree with this haha! Seeing people with multiple CBs when many of us can't even get 2nd gens just makes me sad XD i know it's just a game, but i do have dream lineages i want and can't obtain without a CB prize of my own to offer up offspring from in return

@XDLugia Ack! Now I'll have that song stuck in my head all night, thanks! :P

I definitely get the frustration at the trading economy right now (honestly I've said the trading economy has rather sucked ever since Prizes were first introduced). I'm lucky, I guess, in that I don't give a rat's behind about 2nd-gens or low-gens and am perfectly content with my slooowly-growing herd of long-lineaged Prizes, but specifically because of the trading issues I'd *love* to win a CB Prize just so I can gift 2nd-gens to every single non-winner in this thread, lol. (Of course, that plan relies on CB Prizes breeding true, which apparently hasn't been happening much lately.)

I think it's a bit too early to see the positive effects we were waiting on from the raffles. You have to understand that even those who are generous and gift most of the time will like to enjoy the commodities of their newly obtained CB in being able to complete projects that were just too difficult to do prior. This, coupled with the fact that they don't produce Prize offspring that often, means it will take a long time for those new CB owners to complete whatever they need to trade for, and to then start gifting their 2Gs to others. (Of course there are still prize owners right now who gift, I'm not negating this- what I'm getting at is that in time, there will be more gifters than what we are currently seeing.)

I don't blame any of the new owners for going after metallics or NDs. When I first got my prize, golds were in that weird common spurt and trading 7:1 for 2gs. I gave most of mine away and hence, missed the bulk of that boon. So I stopped and bred some for trades when they were doing 4:1. Especially as there was speculation they'd start dropping in the cave. It wasn't, the raffle came to be. After that I'd see 2:1 golds and 4:1 silver. And now, I see a lot of posts saying no holiday mates and the offers I get are 1:1. Fact is, there are only so many CB gold catchers and as prizes drop in worth and increase in numbers, they can be pretty picky on trades. So if new owners want to take advantage of their fortune and get some CB metals they have to hop to to get them.

I won a CB prize last month. My plan is to do what I always thought that I would during the original raffles: trade the first 2G prize for something I want, keep a 2G prize to match the 2G prizekin I have, then send the rest to the AP for some lucky folks. That said, I have no idea how long it will take me to get to the gifting stage. I am lucky in that I have never had a problem catching enough CB metals for my own needs and I have enough NDs for my scroll goals thanks to my CB Holly.

The thing is, if prizes are rare dragons, the more CBs out there, the less often they'll produce prize 2Gs as a function of the ratios. So in some ways, the increased number of CBs will draw the 2G trading timeline out even further.

Re: multiple CB prizes on a scroll, I remember the the surprise/consternation when someone won the original raffles for a CB prize a two years in a row so that isn't a new problem, it's just more common now. 

@Vhale, I would agree with you. If a prize owner wants that rare trade and that is their only way or getting it, more power to them!

@sfts...those ratios. I forgot about that factor. I do wonder if the ratios will cause certain prize dragons to be worth more and more than others. Its no wonder the value range is so drastic. Considering that, I am thinking my assumption of 2G going down in value may not happen as fast. @bluesonic1 has a point about it happening slowly.

Trading them for cb metals at least give others a chance and I certainly do not expect people to just gift them away, its all this 2nd gen prize swapping that gets to me.   I have been away for a long time so not sure when even gen prizes became a thing, it was un doable before as there were just not enough 1st gen prizes to support it.

Again, I do not blame the prize owners for this, it was just an observation as to the state of affairs.  This raffle has been going on since May if I am not mistaken?   At 60 prizes per month, that's 480 new prizes in circulation, now that I think about it, where the heck are they all lol!

Anyway at least this month I have seen a few long time players win, which makes me happy, nothing like seeing someone with 200 dragons having multiple cb prizes to discourage one!

Been here since 2010 and finally I was lucky enough to win. I always thought, that if I won, I would trade for CB metals, because I'm unable to catch them on my own. You see, I love to gift or help with lineages and without metals my ability to do that is strongly constrained. So, once I achieve my goal, I do plan on gifting 2nd gens from time to time ( depending on how cooperative he is). It doesn't cost me anything, so why not share?

The market should definitely be changing. A LOT of the new Prize owners gift their 2Gs, so traders will be less inclined to offer high value eggs and hatchlings for one. Eventually, a guess a couple years down the line, swaps won't affect very many people, because most traders will be looking for them. That's my prediction. 

If I won a Prize, I would probably swap as well as gift. I mean, now that 2G prizekin are becoming more and more common, people need mates. Do I think 2G prizes are worth ND's at this point? Probably not... but what else are you gonna trade ND's for? However, soon CB Gold and CB Silver will be worth more than a 2G prize, and the market should go back to the way it was before the Prizes were originally introduced. 

By my lights CB gold has ALWAYS been "worth" more than a 2 gen prize. And I would never have seen a 2 gen prize as even close to an ND. That said - I have 4 NDs - won one in a game and the rest were unsolicited gifts. I refuse to believe in the trade market as the be-all and end all.

I traded for one of my 2 gen prizes - a few common hatchies I was easily able to breed (10 as I recall). It just tied up my scroll for a while - which was what the other person was trying to avoid on his own ! XD

It was someone who had a sig saying PM me to ask what I want for them, so I did and....