Kaini

Raffle Discussion

1 hour ago, Forest said:

I won a gold Shimmer! I am SHOCKED! This is my second CB prize (my first is Dazzling Girl, one of the first silver Shimmers) and you better believe I'm gonna be breeding them together. <3 Here's to hoping they don't refuse each other! D:

Gold_Shimmer-scale_egg.png <--- Click me!

Edit: Oh... I feel a little bit bad now after reading the post right before mine, even though it literally says not to feel bad. >______<

No, don't feel bad! Some of us get a little butthurt when we don't win at all and someone else wins twice in a row, but that's just us being butthurt. And if your other win was one of the first Shimmers, it's been a long time! I think Shimmers bred together look wonderful, I hope yours breed well!

No one should feel bad for winning, even if they've won every month (hypothetically), or have a CB from before these monthly raffles. Yes, I'm frustrated, but I'm not frustrated at you for winning, once OR twice OR even thrice! Not even mad at anyone, except for of course the RNG Gods. Heck, I'm jealous of your luck in a friendly, joking sort of way. ^.^

Congrats to the winners! Especially @TheDoggy, that's some amazing birthday luck there :D

Edited by The Dragoness

Congrats to the winners! None for me this month, but I am compelled to keep trying! :wacko:

No need for anyone to feel bad about winning a 2nd, 3rd, or whatever! Enjoy your wins. Perhaps the system needs tweaking, but it is in no way the fault of the winners!

2 hours ago, Forest said:

Edit: Oh... I feel a little bit bad now after reading the post right before mine, even though it literally says not to feel bad. >______<

Ooops, sorry my post was counterproductive! I had just read several posts that sounded like "people shouldn't win more than once" and was worried about how that would make repeat winners feel. :blush:

Anyway, don't forget to use fertility before breeding your Prizes to make a refusal less likely!  :)

And a general note, random results are often not what we expect them to be.

Example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem In short: in a group of 23 people, there's already a 50% probability that at least two have the same birthday. You'd think with so many more than 23 days in a year, it would be less likely, but that's just how it is, because maths.

An online randomizer, or the program code TJ uses, might not be absolutely (secret service encryption tool level) random, but it's not biased to select some names or user IDs more often than others. It will just do that... randomly.

... I really do wish I knew how many people enter the raffle each month so I could do some calculations with actual numbers. :lol:

9 hours ago, 888888 said:

Winning results are usually shown immediately, it's losing messages that take a little while longer to show </3

Oh no, I was almost getting hopeful. :lol: The losing message it was for me this time too.

Congratulations to the winners, shall the shiny breeding be prolific for you!

7 hours ago, Nimrodel said:

Congratulations to this month's lucky winners! Your win seems particularly sweet, @TheDoggy, that is one of my absolute favourites too! I keep wobbling between silver and gold shimmer, love 'em both, so they may just be tied for the top spot on my prize preference list :P 

I have to admit, Gold Shimmers are a veeeery close second and I'm always happy when I can get my grabby hands on a new line, but Silvers just beat it by a teeny tiny margin. 

Congrats to all winners and good luck for all, who hadn't any this time! <3

All I want is a Bronze Tinsel, but I doubt that's ever going to happen...

All I want is to win, period. I don't even care if it's Gold, Silver, or Bronze. Yeah, I really, really have a soft spot for those Silver-colored ones... but at the end of the day, I ain't freakin' complaining! :D

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that there is a limit to how long you have to claim a prize, not ENTIRELY sure on that memory but still.

And I've been thinking, If there is a limit to however long before the egg disappears into the ather then why not send them to the AP instead? That way even though a winner didn't get their prize at least someone else gets to enjoy it.

6 minutes ago, blockEdragon said:

I'm pretty sure I heard somewhere that there is a limit to how long you have to claim a prize, not ENTIRELY sure on that memory but still.

And I've been thinking, If there is a limit to however long before the egg disappears into the ather then why not send them to the AP instead? That way even though a winner didn't get their prize at least someone else gets to enjoy it.

Winners have the entire month to pick their eggs up. When the next raffle rolls around, unclaimed shinies vanish into the abyss.  It would be really neat if they went to the AP if left unclaimed!

Users get a whole month to claim their babies. And they probably don't go to the AP because you have to enter the raffle to have your chance at them. If they go to the AP, it defeats the purpose of having entry requirements at all.

There's nothing to stop winners from putting their offspring there though.:P

Edit: Neenja'd

Edited by Jazeki

20 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

Users get a whole month to claim their babies. And they probably don't go to the AP because you have to enter the raffle to have your chance at them. If they go to the AP, it defeats the purpose of having entry requirements at all.

There's nothing to stop winners from putting their offspring there though.:P

Edit: Neenja'd

That's kinda like saying caveborns shouldn't be allowed on the AP because that defeats the purpose of the biomes.

The raffle is a direct way that actually creates eggs and doesn't require clicking speed among a long list of other things, and any unclaimed eggs would be an accident because they probably are almost always claimed, but why destroy one when it could just be left in the AP?

And if the AP won't do why not add them to the NEXT raffle and just hand out 62 or whatever that time?

Destroying them just sees wasteful.

Edited by blockEdragon

1 minute ago, blockEdragon said:

That's kinda like saying caveborns shouldn't be allowed on the AP because that defeats the purpose of the biomes.

The raffle is a direct way that actually creates eggs and doesn't require clicking speed among a long list of other things, and any unclaimed eggs would be an accident because they probably are almost always claimed, but why destroy one when it could just be left in the AP?

It is not the same thing. These come with a contingency. You raise your dragons, you get your ticket. If you didn't get your ticket, you don't get a chance at them. They are limited edition and if TJ wanted everyone to have them, he would have put them in the biomes himself. 

If that massive accomplishment that has surely make raffle entries an elite luxury is the issue then what about the rollover alternative?

If someone doesn't collect their prize it's added to the next roster as an extra so for example 61 are handed out that month.

11 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

They are limited edition and if TJ wanted everyone to have them, he would have put them in the biomes himself. 

That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's not like the rollover idea or a redrawing would put them in everyone's hands. And I wouldn't think more than a few would end up in the AP; most people are smart about claiming their prizes as soon as possible.

55 minutes ago, Miral said:

That's a bit of an exaggeration. It's not like the rollover idea or a redrawing would put them in everyone's hands. And I wouldn't think more than a few would end up in the AP; most people are smart about claiming their prizes as soon as possible.

I was replying to the comparison of being against putting CB dragons in the AP. I'm sure you've been privy to the many threads of how to deal with raffles/ prize dragons.  It's not that I wouldn't like to find a prize in the AP. But these are locked to scrolls and they're kinda like the lottery at this point. If you don't pick up your prize, you miss your chance unless you enter again.

I never said I was against rollover prizes or re-drawings, but right now there is a reason that they go poof instead of anyone else getting a chance. 

Edit: Here is TJ's comment on why they go poof. He is welcome to change his mind, but here's why.  (Uggh. Formatting.)

• TJ09

Kovia said:
So will it not tell us for sure if we lost until the winners all claim theirs? The way that was phrased makes me think there's a reroll system in effect if they go unclaimed. Hadn't even occurred to me before that that might be a thing.

There's no reroll system. If prizes aren't claimed by next month's raffle, they're gone forever.

This is offset by there being more raffles every month, instead of only once per year

Edited by Jazeki

That's not the most flawless logic to why we can't have a redraw or something. A prize going poof is still a prize going poof, never to return, and no matter how many prizes exist, there will always be -1 because it went poof for no good reason.

@Jazeki LOL. It seems like this is *all* anyone talks about on DC these days. And I know CB prizes are locked to winners' scrolls; I was speaking hypothetically about the AP (in case that was misinterpreted as a lack of awareness regarding the new raffle system and how it works).

My stance on this whole issue is quite simple, really - there's over 100,000 scrolls on this website. Of those, 660 have been selected as winners since the first raffle in 2010 (not counting multiple wins or unclaimed eggs). You don't need to do the math to figure out that's less than 1%, especially when you consider how many of those have won again. There's no foreseeable danger of oversaturating the market for prizes, even with one raffle a month. TJ has a reason, yes, but that doesn't mean we all have to agree with it, or that its logic isn't slightly shaky, as mentioned above.

@Miral-No worries. It's not I'm miffed there would be many in the AP and I'm not considering the raffle to be the only "elite" option as @blockEdragon suggests. I'm just uncomfortable with any going to the AP because it could possibly be picked up by someone who didn't bother entering the raffle at all. If I had to spend time raising dragons (or whatever requirement comes in the future), why should a user who did nothing have a chance at something that they didn't work for? I'm all for spreading the prize breeding pool (and even supported consolation prizes and was tentatively ok with having them released in cave), but at this point I would much prefer re-rolls or additional draws or entries on future raffles than having unclaimed dragons kicked to the AP--especially since they are locked to scrolls now. 

Edited by Jazeki

10 minutes ago, Jazeki said:

@Miral-No worries. It's not I'm miffed there would be many in the AP and I'm not considering the raffle to be the only "elite" option as @blockEdragon suggests. I'm just uncomfortable with any going to the AP because it could possibly be picked up by someone who didn't bother entering the raffle at all. If I had to spend time raising dragons (or whatever requirement comes in the future), why should a user who did nothing have a chance at something that they didn't work for? I'm all for spreading the prize breeding pool (and even supported consolation prizes and was tentatively ok with having them released in cave), but at this point I would much prefer re-rolls or additional draws or entries on future raffles than having unclaimed dragons kicked to the AP--especially since they are locked to scrolls now. 

After reading through your points, I think I have to agree. I didn't think about this before. Redraws would be my first choice for unclaimed Prizes. Wasn't that how it worked in the original holiday raffles as well?