Kaini

Raffle Discussion

Nothing shiny for me this month. My luck is basically nonexistent, so I wasn't expecting to win anyway :lol:

Congrats to the winners!! I can't wait to see the pretty new lineages you guys build.

4 hours ago, Fiona BlueFire said:

Fuzz, maybe your memory is failing? Because they were originally trade-able, which lead to extreme harassment for one person whose friend didn't want to play and gifted/traded him the CB prize they won. I can't remember if he already had a CB prize he won himself or then won outright the next year but the backlash was terrible. Then there was Luckiest Catch, who was fished out of the AP by an exceptionally lucky person.

Long story short, the users themselves are the driving force behind them being untradeable because of past experiences. It was ugly. Let's not go there again.

You're quite right of course - and that's exactly why the last thing we need is ANY way to bring back that level of drama.

4 hours ago, VixenDra said:

Point is I don't mean tradeable (as other stiff is tradeable on DC) but SWAPable only (why people NEVER stick to what I'm suggesting when they\re reffering to what I suggested, and simply create problems unrelated to how I suggest things?xD) - CB Prize being able to change scrolls only if a CB Prize is put in exchange on the other end of the "limited 'trade'"(SWAP), 1:1 only (reinforced from the system). This way multi-scrollers woudl still be unable to transfer sth won on a side account to anywhere for anything other than another CB Prize, also trades such as CB Prize for *insert sth riddiculusly bulky here* woudl be still impossible because the swap system would simply not allow anything than 1 CB Prize to 1 CB Prize. Nothing you fear would be enabled by a technical ability to Prize SWAP as I'm suggesting it - unlike regular full tradeability.

I read exactly what you said. Winner to be able to trade only with another winner. I just profoundly disagree. I's not just about multiscrolling; it's about drama and pressure on other users and so on. As sock said - if you don't like what you win - abandon it.

4 hours ago, Fiona BlueFire said:

The point people are trying to make in response is that CB prizes are currently locked to scrolls and cannot even be abandoned to the AP. Not tradeable means once you have it it is yours. Swapping for a different egg of the same breed but different color is still trading. People are saying they don't want that.

3 hours ago, Fiona BlueFire said:

I don't think it's a matter of hating. They just have a different vision than you do.

I completely understand why you want to be able to swap. Your purebred pairings are the way you play. In the normal course of events I'd rather see you get your wish. I just think overall keeping CB prizes locked to scrolls is the best way to go with these. CB prizes on the whole are still too scarce. Giving the option of swapping one CB prize for any other CB prize could and probably would lead to some people pressuring others to swap, even when they didn't want to.

Fi is as always the voice of reason. It's not hating - Lord if there were a way to trade for "my" silver shimmer that I will never ever get - in principle I'd go for it. In practice - no; the knock-on effect would be too great.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Congrats to the winners!

Personally, I feel like dragons won shouldn't be able to be traded OR "exchanged" or "swapped" or whatever. Now, people may scream "that's unfair, what if A is willing to swap X-Dragon with B for Y-Dragon! They should be able to do that!"

No. Entering a raffle is agreeing to win random prize, if one is won at all. You don't get to pick and choose your prize, because that's not what you agreed to.

Don't like those rules? Don't enter, or don't take the prize and try again the next month. Simple as that.

If you win a bronze medal in, lets say, Swimming in the olympics, you can't trade it for a silver in Cross-Country because "that's the one you want." It's not how it works. You get the prize you get, and if you don't like it, well, either don't take it at all, or abandon it for someone else to take it.

39 minutes ago, raichu59013 said:

Personally, I feel like dragons won shouldn't be able to be traded OR "exchanged" or "swapped" or whatever. Now, people may scream "that's unfair, what if A is willing to swap X-Dragon with B for Y-Dragon! They should be able to do that!"

No. Entering a raffle is agreeing to win random prize, if one is won at all. You don't get to pick and choose your prize, because that's not what you agreed to.

Don't like those rules? Don't enter, or don't take the prize and try again the next month. Simple as that.

If you win a bronze medal in, lets say, Swimming in the olympics, you can't trade it for a silver in Cross-Country because "that's the one you want." It's not how it works. You get the prize you get, and if you don't like it, well, either don't take it at all, or abandon it for someone else to take it.

This. Honestly, just winning a CB Prize should be enough to make someone happy. Complaining about the color or type doesn't make any sense to me. Many players will never have any CB Prize at all and would happily take whatever they could get. Sure, I prefer the Gold Tinsel sprite over the Bronze Shimmer sprite, but a Prize is a Prize. That's just how raffles work. 

1 hour ago, Jazeki said:

Plus, I dunno, I feel like having a "swap option" but not a trade or a gift option increases the focus of the "exclusivity" of prizes--you can only have your chance at it if you have a different CB prize on hand.

52 minutes ago, raichu59013 said:

Entering a raffle is agreeing to win random prize, if one is won at all. You don't get to pick and choose your prize, because that's not what you agreed to.

These quotes, in addition to what Fi said, are reasonable to me.

It seems a bit convoluted and impractical to implement a unique swapping system for prizes, especially since this is something that, at most, only 60 people would use each month.

Edited by Dew

I want a silver shim - but if I get a bronze tin - I will be delighted and then some. A prize is a prize. And very VERY welcome.

43 minutes ago, The Dragoness said:

This. Honestly, just winning a CB Prize should be enough to make someone happy. Complaining about the color or type doesn't make any sense to me. Many players will never have any CB Prize at all and would happily take whatever they could get. Sure, I prefer the Gold Tinsel sprite over the Bronze Shimmer sprite, but a Prize is a Prize. That's just how raffles work. 

Yes. I prefer the other shimmerscale colors to my bronze one, but I am just so happy to win one at all (my luck as a whole isn't spectacular) that I don't even care.

The raffle was the first thing I did right after I woke up. I stared at it for five minutes before I realised I won =P I'm over the moon with my prize. I'm one of those people that don't care what coloured prize I get. I'm just happy to have one

I am in shock.  I won a Bronze Shimmer.   I love him.   I am totally stunned though.   The funny thing is that I was on DC for a long time tonight without looking at the raffle results.   I figured I'd used up all my raffle luck back when I won my Tinsel.   I think this one has surprised me even more than that one did.   Holy crap. 

Well, double congratulations, Terrafreaky! That's an awesome surprise.

Congratulations to all the winners, and to the rest of us, better luck next time. Sixty more chances to win next month :)

Yay! After all these years of waiting, I finally won! It's a gold Tinsel if anyone is wondering. Would have loved a silver Tinsel or Shimmer instead, but I'm still happy. 😍

5 hours ago, Fiona BlueFire said:

I don't think it's a matter of hating. They just have a different vision than you do.

Can't  leave such a twist of facts like this uncorrected...

-> That was not what I was reffering to as hating :dry: I meant those people who, through their spite, led e.g. to the current CB Prize untradeability and aversion to any form of it with their envyness, greed, harrasments(btw why weren't they simply blocked by the winners??? block instead of letting them give you reasons to complain; as for drama it's was, is and will be a part of the DC forum, there will always be a subject it could raise around, not that Prizes alone never caused any xD) etc. were mostly haters, NOT to the people who answered me here... I didn't expect approval for such middle-ground suggestions from this environment anyway. Just don't assume I'm aggressive just because you disagreed, I'm not but I may become if my words are twisted like that:(

Just sad to see that all arguments against CBPrize-to-CBPirze swapability are based on the 'because drama' and on keeping DC's mechanics so much control-freak&limits:(  Anyway, that's how this community is and will stay so as long as TJ doesn't hand out enough of playing liberties regardless, changing the attitudes this way by showing  certain dreaded consequences didn't occur (not that I believe he's into lifting any limitaions unelss the sees they're a threat to the game's existence:P).

Anyway, nobody's preference actually matters inthe end, I'm just hoping TJ, after seeing some suggestions and arguments that maybe didn't occur to him, may notice some things and find better sollutions to keep his playerbase as elatively content in the end as possible. I personally never noticed a midway sollution for CB Prizes tradeability around, so I mentioned it could be possible to achieve sth that would limit what needs to be limited/prevented (riddiculus trades and multis gathering potentially plenty of Prizes on 1 scroll) and reduce the limit of what doesn't really need to be so limited or actually prevented completely in the aim of preventing the things that do need to be prevented but that coudl be prevented without removing some option completely.

I'll just leave it here with a reminder "keep in mind the block feature, it's enough to solve loads of the dreaded problems:)".

Edited by VixenDra

Perhaps swapping between players CB for CB only would work. But it is more than likely a method to prevent multi-scrollers from reaping the benefit of cheating  the system by swapping their prizes with their other scrolls in effort to complete their CB Collection. This is likely the reason trading was axed.

As for harassment and whatnot. It can happen in any of the systems, and there are ways to prevent it even in irc, but I had seen a lot of issue with prize winners being hassled because of their winning. Some felt it impolite to say no -  these people were then walked all over. In spite of efforts of some people to indicate no interest in trading, prize or otherwise, members would still ask them. I have had people bothering me about my Alt-sweetlings -  in spite of my profile/scroll/signature indications not to bother.  In my case, as a staff member, I can't go around blocking everyone.

Anyone who is being harassed or bothered, I would recommend blocking or(in irc) /ignore name and contact mods with pm's or logs.

In addition to harassment (which seems less of a problem since the raffles' return), trading these comes with a new set of problems stemming from availability. There are only a set number of prizes a month and a very small pool of each breed. So, let's say I wanted a silver tinsel instead of my bronze shimmer. There are only so many available. I'd have to find a user and make sure they had their egg or hatchling on hand when I was ready to trade. As we know from this thread, few users share what they won and the "period of discovery" is all over the map. A user's prize may grow up before the potential viable trade partner ever discovers their win. Trades are inherently risky--prize trades more so because of their exclusivity.

More than harassment, the problem that I ran into with prize trades was user availability. In one instance, I was promised a 2nd gen prize in exchange for some Valentine's breeds. Valentine's came around. I was ready with my sweetlings. The user never read or responded to any of my PMs. I had gotten my hopes up and made arrangements for nothing. 

I wouldn't mind if TJ gave the option to downgrade to lower prize colors and I would much rather see the implementation of trader canyon or a store before new CB only prize swap options. Keeping these scroll locked cuts down on a lot of hassle for something that's only given out to a select few.

Now if there was a way of swapping at the trader canyon (if it was implemented) that might work out, but probably only be a downgrade swap rather than an upgrade swap.

no win for me and I've already entered this month's raffle

@Vixendra: Oh! I'm sorry for misunderstanding you. Yes, it's true that bad manners have spoiled a lot of things in the past.

Jazeki, a swap that doesn't require another user exchanging with you would be a fine idea, though it could unbalance the number of each kind of prize a bit. Still, considering that I believe some go unclaimed anyway, it seems a reasonable idea, either in the store or just a link on the winner's scroll, allowing to down-trade if desired. Or maybe a breed swap as well. That way if one such as Vixendra won say a bronze prize first, then later won a silver prize she could choose to exchange the silver for a bronze of the same breed as her earlier. She'd be happy, no other prize owner would have to be hunted up.

In my opinion they shouldn't be tradeable or swappable :3

Let's not be nitpicky and appreciate the rewards when we get them because how lucky is it to receive any prize from the raffle when so many people enter each time! Also when someone receives CB prize they don't like that much, they can easily get Gen2s of the desired breed and even choose the partner. So it's not like obtaining a dream lineage is impossible. Sure, it may bother completionists, but hey, Gen2s are pretty great and you can still trade some nice things for the offspring.

The best possible thing for those who are bitter about prizes is accepting the fact we are unable to collect *everything*. And having fun with the game of course.

On that note, I did not win this round, but it's okay because my time will eventually come ^.^

Congrats to all the winners!

On 31.07.2017 at 0:01 AM, SockPuppet Strangler said:

I am also eager to see what different requirements looks like, but I do think your example is pretty specific and therefore too difficult, tbh. I'd be good with "raise 15 females" or "raise 15 dorsals" or something, but may not all those plus when you can breed them stuck together. =p

Haha I know, I chose a very extreme example on purpose ;P I guess the best would be a requirement with a moderate level of difficulty to keep things challenging but still doable ;)

Edited by Gryphites

Still hoping on seeing Gold/Silver Shimmer lines with Springs or Summers XD

I didn't get one this time, but I'm still fawning over the Tinsel I got from last month. I entered again, good luck everyone. 

@Starscream- I think that Trader Canyon would replace the need for swapping entirely. If I recall, users would be able to work to get all six breeds equally and there would be no need to swap because they could pick whichever ones they wanted instead of having an RNG choose for them.

@Fiona BlueFire- I agree that the automatic downgrade swap option would probably cause some imbalance with the breeds. That might be part of the reason why it's not something that's available now. However, I think that if we are to solve the problem of "I wanted x and I got y," it would be better to make the option automated rather than involving other winners. On that note, it would be interesting to know how many new prizes have gone unclaimed so far .and how many users are unhappy with their prize choices, but claimed them anyway.

I still think the inability to  swap/trade for the "one you want" is a superfluous concern when soooooo many users have none, but as VixenDra said, it is good to bring up raffle issues so that TJ can weigh in or consider them if he wants.

Jazeki - I was thinking that with the raffles, that prizes would not be available there, but only in a swap situation. But I cannot go on with that line of thinking as its off topic here.

I do agree though, people thinking the inability to swap is petty. they should be grateful they exist at all in a manner that anyone can get them - if given time and a little luck - and still with relatively easy requirements. I would agree that winners should have a slightly harder requirement such as raise 4 or 5 dragons etc. a month.

2 minutes ago, Starscream said:

Jazeki - I was thinking that with the raffles, that prizes would not be available there, but only in a swap situation. But I cannot go on with that line of thinking as its off topic here.

When I suggested the downgrade swap or store/T.C. options,I was going by the idea that prizes would be available in both that capacity and raffle (so if you miss one, you still have the other option). I was also envisioning the downgrade option only being available on the winner page, but having only it available in the store too (and no actual prize dragons) would work.  I think I'll go give that thread a poke for clarification.  Either way, I think that winners should only be able to downgrade prizes if that comes to pass.