Kaini

Raffle Discussion

8 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

If we go by the last 'official' count of active users, from 2014, it will take over 50 years for every single user to get 1 CB Prize.

It's highly unlikely that the majority of active users enter the raffle every month, though.

16 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It's what I did with Winya! :D Silently bred and gifted a bunch (kept 1 for myself - the Valentine offspring :lol:) and after a while, people started noticing her and approaching me for trades.

I never actually thought her offspring would be valuable enough for trades XD but she got me my first Neglected - I'm still baffled!

I'm the happy owner of one of Winya's 2gs...I believe I traded you a 5 letter word code for it too. ;)

I'm all set to not win.  I have brownies and ice cream...and hot chocolate, though I might get out the whine. 

I've been playing DC almost since the begining-I recall when TJ was just a 17 yr old kid who started a fun game...I missed out on cb hollies-which are my very fav dragon. Hoped against all hope to win one in the old raffles as a HM...nope, but low and behold TJ brought them back! 

My point, never give up...I still haven't won a raffle, but still hope one day I will...A chance, tho its small, is still a chance, and its much better than no raffle at all.

2 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

Actually, we did the math in the Suggestion thread about putting Prizes in the Market. If we go by the last 'official' count of active users, from 2014, it will take over 50 years for every single user to get 1 CB Prize. That doesn't seem like an excellent chance to me. But who knows, it's *possible* that every single person posting in this thread will win sometime within the next year or so... Not likely, but possible.

I'm curious what our new requirements will be this time. Another biome requirement? Maybe an Elemental requirement? That would be cool. 

Wow. That must have been some maths.

But that seems ridiculous to me. The raffles have only been going for about a year and a half, right? And I would say around 50% of the users I see on the forums have at least one prize [although of course some are from the previous raffles before the monthly system]. That may be wrong, but it sure doesn't seem like only 1/50 of forum users have one. So I'd say that indicates a couple of things;

1. The odds are better than you might think, as it seems like nowhere near all active users are entering, especially when requirements are harder

2. There is almost certainly a bias towards forum users winning prizes as they tend to be more active and actually enter the raffle

Therefore, probably,

If you enter every month you should get lucky eventually

55 minutes ago, bonvoyage said:

Wow. That must have been some maths.

But that seems ridiculous to me. The raffles have only been going for about a year and a half, right? And I would say around 50% of the users I see on the forums have at least one prize [although of course some are from the previous raffles before the monthly system]. That may be wrong, but it sure doesn't seem like only 1/50 of forum users have one. So I'd say that indicates a couple of things;

1. The odds are better than you might think, as it seems like nowhere near all active users are entering, especially when requirements are harder

2. There is almost certainly a bias towards forum users winning prizes as they tend to be more active and actually enter the raffle

Therefore, probably,

If you enter every month you should get lucky eventually

I wouldn't say 50% but for sure a much higher percentage than I'd expect of forum and discord users have prizes. I'd love to know how many people enter each month. In the discord we did some maths and if I think it was 4000 people enter each month you have nearly a 20% chance of winning at least once if you enter every month for a year.

You've got to be careful about assuming which ways that sample of forum users with prizes might be biased though - yes it's biased towards users who are dedicated enough to the game to try every month, but it may also be biased towards users who already have a prize: they may find the forum/discord helpful for managing their prize, there may be those who wouldn't use the forum without a prize to organise trades/ambush gifting around or even who would have quit or played with much less dedication if they hadn't won. Being on the forum may indicate a level of investment in the game that leads to higher win rates but it may also be caused in some cases by having won a prize.

6 minutes ago, FiveSix said:

I wouldn't say 50% but for sure a much higher percentage than I'd expect of forum and discord users have prizes. I'd love to know how many people enter each month. In the discord we did some maths and if I think it was 4000 people enter each month you have nearly a 20% chance of winning at least once if you enter every month for a year.

You've got to be careful about assuming which ways that sample of forum users with prizes might be biased though - yes it's biased towards users who are dedicated enough to the game to try every month, but it may also be biased towards users who already have a prize: they may find the forum/discord helpful for managing their prize, there may be those who wouldn't use the forum without a prize to organise trades/ambush gifting around or even who would have quit or played with much less dedication if they hadn't won. Being on the forum may indicate a level of investment in the game that leads to higher win rates but it may also be caused in some cases by having won a prize.

Yeah you're right. There might be any number of reasons why forum users seem to have more prizes than the general populus and I definitely can't assume that's the reason, even though I definitely think the average forum user tends to be more active and dedicated than the average site-only user. People with prizes probably are more likely to be active on the forum than those without them. However I still think the high number of forum users with prizes indicates that entering every month consistently gives you a fairly decent chance a winning a prize within a couple of years.

It doesn't feel like 50% (or even 20%) of forum users have a CB Prize, but maybe that's because I don't have one.  ;)

Anyway, here's a script: Raffle chance calculator

The default numbers are suggestions, change them for whatever you think is accurate.

(Edit: oooh, cookie time! :lol: )

Edited by Confused Cat

TJ removed the "sorry" message, now nobody feels like they've lost, just the way how raffles should be XD

(or maybe it's just me, but I used to find that message discouraging)

Edit: I spoke too soon. Facepalm oops -_-

Edited by BlueLatios

1 minute ago, BlueLatios said:

TJ removed the "sorry" message, now nobody feels like they've lost, just the way how raffles should be XD

(or maybe it's just me, but I used to find that message discouraging)

Sorry but... 

Sorry, you were not selected as one of the winners in the January 2019 raffle. Don’t forget to enter this month’s raffle!

Still there :P 

I had a mini heart attack because I didn't see the sorry message and was freaking out thinking I didn't actually enter the raffle even though I swore I did 

It just takes a few minutes for the message to actually display.

No win here~

New requirement is hatching 6 eggs... easy enough with the upcoming Vday event, yet still a new number involved (as opposed to the 3 that we had on other requirements before). ^_^ 

Could be a bug though. I hope it’s not...

Hmmm I don't have any actual cookies, but I just got a packet full of various chocolates in the mail. Failchocolates anyone?  :D

If I ever win I will try to keep silent about it - but then again I'd probably feel tempted to post something like "oh no, no cookies for me this month", and then everybody would know. :P

First egg hatched, 5 to go :D

Hot chocolate with the cookies?

Well, I shall qualify within 36 hours :)

Fat lot of good it will do.

3 minutes ago, Anilako said:

Win here, yay. 

Actually, that was really unexpected

Female this time? :)

Congrats!

2 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Female this time? :)

Congrats!

Hope so, influenced her :)

Thank you!