Kaini

Raffle Discussion

Personally I think it is great that there is a way for the rest of us to have a chance at a prize... not that I'm too hopeful. The only bad thing is that you could literally play until DC passes into oblivion and never win, that's the nature of random chance.

Anyway, I AM glad that the raffle is back in some form, and at least there will be more CBs in the system so we should have more and more chances at pretty lineages!

I hope the trade frenzy dies down relatively quickly, and prizes become more like normal rares. I do feel like this is starting to happen now. Interesting question about whether the new ones will be tied to their scroll--if they are tradeable that will be interesting.

I'm sure he had an automated system for choosing a code and receiving a prize at the end of the last raffle, but apparently TJ has said that code-choosing won't be available in the new raffles.  sad.gif  I am Disappoint, I have so many codes I'd love to request!

Oh dear. When did he say this? sad.gif

I personally feel that being able to choose the code of your dragon makes owning a prize feel that much more special or personal, at least for us code-collectors out there.

Oh well, i'm still very glad the raffles have come back. That way, with more shines in circulation, trading for lower-gens might be made a little easier for everyone and building those near-impossible lineages could be made a tad more possible. smile.gif

Oh dear. When did he say this? sad.gif

I personally feel that being able to choose the code of your dragon makes owning a prize feel that much more special or personal, at least for us code-collectors out there.

Oh well, i'm still very glad the raffles have come back. That way, with more shines in circulation, trading for lower-gens might be made a little easier for everyone and building those near-impossible lineages could be made a tad more possible. smile.gif

Someone asked him about it in the DC IRC, apparently. sad.gif

Eh, I probably shouldn't get so Haz A Sad about it - I suck at winning raffles, so it's probably moot for me anyway. laugh.gif

Personally I think it is great that there is a way for the rest of us to have a chance at a prize... not that I'm too hopeful. The only bad thing is that you could literally play until DC passes into oblivion and never win, that's the nature of random chance.

I'm just loving the fact they're monthly now - the way I can look at it, is there's always next month! It takes out that year long wait of 'aww I didn't win sad.gif' since they happen every month now, and I think I'm gonna love it.

Yeah, making them monthly takes out a lot of the sting of losing. It's not, "well I guess I have to wait for next year", it's "Oh well, guess I'll try again next month".

I'm a little sad that the codes aren't available for choosing yourself, but I can understand why it was done like that (even if it makes getting Rudje as a code that much harder).

It'll be slow-going at first, probably for the first year of monthly raffles, but I see low gen Prize numbers and trading improving drastically after some time. Assuming 50% of wins per month get frozen, go inactive, never bred, etc. that still leaves 360 new prizes a year. A little more optimistic estimate of 80% new prizes being active and breedable, that's about 570 new bloodlines a year.

Still, none of this means anything if Prizes remain unbelievably stubborn to breed, but I'm glad people can look forward to the chance of owning CBs again! =)

I hope there will be no 'freezing' contest, because I don't really like frozen hatchlings and have none except the little tree and one or two Zombies...

^This. I never freeze hatchlings. The only 'frozen' thing I have is my leetle tree. Don't really want to start now. :0 (I probably would release all of them if I ever had to freeze them for the raffle.)

I don't freeze either, but I'm honestly not too worried about if/when this happens. These are a monthly raffle, so if I decide to sit out a month or two, well, okay. Not my preference but not like I'll be missing my final chance at winning a prize! I'll always be able to enter for other months. Plus, if I really wanted, I could freeze and release so my scroll stays adult-only.

(Tbh, for me, though, at this point, I don't really freeze because I've been playing for near a decade now and am a creature of habit. So maybe a month that encourages some freezing would get me started on freezing hatchies. Who knows?)

I don't think we will ever need to freeze them. Or harm any dragons in any way. It will probably only be about catching/breeding etc.

Actually, from the announcement: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=179238

Monthly Raffles

The highly-coveted Prize Dragons make a permanent return in the form of monthly drawings. Each month, entrants may win one of these rare dragons.

Dragons raised in the past several weeks are already counted towards the May raffle.

Coming soon Different ways to enter each month, such as grabbing abandoned eggs, freezing hatchlings, or raising a specific breed.

So freezing could happen. o:

I'm so excited for the raffles! Monthly is great and it's fun to have something to try for and I was sad thinking we'd never have another chance at CBs. Do we know how many are getting raffled each month?

Do we know how many are getting raffled each month?

From the entry page:

There will be 60 winners drawn each month: 5 gold winners, 10 silver winners, and 15 bronze winners for each of the Western and Eastern Prize Dragons.

=p

I am excited about the raffles! I entered the first one, and given my luck, I won't win a thing, but now, like someone said up there, we can enter next month and not wait a whole year biggrin.gif

I don't freeze either, but I'm honestly not too worried about if/when this happens. These are a monthly raffle, so if I decide to sit out a month or two, well, okay. Not my preference but not like I'll be missing my final chance at winning a prize! I'll always be able to enter for other months. Plus, if I really wanted, I could freeze and release so my scroll stays adult-only.

I don't freeze but I would probably do it to enter then release them later, too tongue.gif

I'm just glad to see the Prize dragons back at all. Maybe we can start cutting down on all the trade requests looking for 2Gs.

I'm currently hoping for some sort of CD on winners so we don't end up with the same people winning repeatedly. Not saying you should never be allowed a second one, heck if I win I prob won't stop entering, but let them distribute out a bit at the start yeah?

While I'm glad that prizes are back I'm also kinda worried that not enough will be handed out to accommodate the large crowd of the cave, the old raffles were done on the forums form what I understand and thus had a smaller amount of people in the roster, I have nothing against more people being able to win, quite the opposite actually, but I do hope that the number handed out will be statistically enough for the larger roster.

While I'm glad that prizes are back I'm also kinda worried that not enough will be handed out to accommodate the large crowd of the cave, the old raffles were done on the forums form what I understand and thus had a smaller amount of people in the roster, I have nothing against more people being able to win, quite the opposite actually, but I do hope that the number handed out will be statistically enough for the larger roster.

Weren't the old raffles based on the Christmas events and thus anyone who participated in whatever it was were entered into the raffle? They might not know about the criteria if they didn't visit the forum, but I thought I remembered it being based on game participation, not a forum thing.

Also I think that's what the monthly drawing is about, to release enough over time for everyone. Or you know. I can hope that's what will happen.

Edited by silver_chan

Weren't the old raffles based on the Christmas events and thus anyone who participated in whatever it was were entered into the raffle? They might not know about the criteria if they didn't visit the forum, but I thought I remembered it being based on game participation, not a forum thing.

Also I think that's what the monthly drawing is about, to release enough over time for everyone. Or you know. I can hope that's what will happen.

Yes they were - and as I said somewhere further up, it did mean that people who saw the games and weren't really into the dragon side of it could play and win - and never be seen again. This is better. And it shouldn't be via the forum, as some people cannot be here. Age, school firewalls, all sorts.

Yes they were - and as I said somewhere further up, it did mean that people who saw the games and weren't really into the dragon side of it could play and win - and never be seen again. This is better. And it shouldn't be via the forum, as some people cannot be here. Age, school firewalls, all sorts.

Oh no no no, i'm not saying it should be exclusive, that's a horrible idea!

I'm saying that giving out to same numbers to a larger amount of people might end poorly.

And i'm sorry for being misinformed on how the old raffles worked!

I like this monthly/task-related raffle idea. I think it's a good way to bring the prizes back to DC without clouding the Christmas event. This will be a nice shakeup from my current routine of only being around for the holidays and new releases. biggrin.gif Plus if I ever win one ( rolleyes.gif ), I'll have more options for even gen pairings yay!

I really like this new raffle system. It's about time they bring Prizes back, and I can't wait to see some more of 2G's in circulation! I haven't even bothered to try to obtain one, since it usually requires at least selling your soul for the half of eternity. Can't wait for tomorrow!

For some reason, I find myself refreshing the raffle status page over and over again even though I know I won't see any changes for at least 14 more hours xd.png

IMHO, I think this was probably the best thing TJ and the staff could've done this birthday. Prizes are a...touchy subject for a lot of people. The way the raffles just stopped, the effect that the ever-diminishing pool of Prizes had on the trade-market, those being probably the biggest two issues that the Prizes and raffles created.

Now, though, as this a good way to get people more interactive and aids the cave (for example, one month it could be we need to raise a certain amount of a cave-blocker breed) the monthly raffle events are a serious boon to the cave. It will provide new blood for those who breed Prizes and do lineages with them, as well as hopefully loosening the hold that 2nd-gen Prizes have on the trade-market, though that probably won't start to be seen for a while.

That said, I can see some problems. For example, the tasks could get a bit...repetitive. And there will no doubt be some previous Prize-owners who will complain about how it has devalued their prizes' offspring. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

Overall, I think this will be a way better thing for the cave. Can't wait to see the results. xd.png

Edited by CharonDusk

IMHO, I think this was probably the best thing TJ and the staff could've done this birthday. Prizes are a...touchy subject for a lot of people. The way the raffles just stopped, the effect that the ever-diminishing pool of Prizes had on the trade-market, those being probably the biggest two issues that the Prizes and raffles created.

Now, though, as this a good way to get people more interactive and aids the cave (for example, one month it could be we need to raise a certain amount of a cave-blocker breed) the monthly raffle events are a serious boon to the cave. It will provide new blood for those who breed Prizes and do lineages with them, as well as hopefully loosening the hold that 2nd-gen Prizes have on the trade-market, though that probably won't start to be seen for a while.

That said, I can see some problems. For example, the tasks could get a bit...repetitive. And there will no doubt be some previous Prize-owners who will complain about how it has devalued their prizes' offspring. Thankfully, that hasn't happened yet.

Overall, I think this will be a way better thing for the cave. Can't wait to see the results. xd.png

Agree with all! Honestly this is probably the best way it could have been handled, in my opinion?

I'm so excited for tomorrow you guys, even though logically I know I'm not likely to win X'D It'll be exciting to see new blood though!

I'm just glad people won't own the trade market anymore. I'm very excited. 60 prizes per month? That's 720 users who get CB prizes per year. (take a few who have really good luck haha) smile.gif That's fantastic news. Even playing field for all. I can't wait to have my own little prize one day.

Edited by Earth Gurl

This is an interesting way to reintroduce prize dragons again. A different kind of prize dragon could prove interesting too, platinum as was suggested. Though I think that would lead to more trade wars because platinums would be the most rare (with 1-2 people winning them every month) and with the statistics of 'winners who stay active' at 50 / 50 or possibly less, it would mean there would be a 1% style populous who'd have a serious chock hold on the highest-prize-possible market.

I agree that I'm unlikely to enter the contest if it is based on freezing hatchlings.

My fiancée mentioned to me the other day that she'd likely become more active on DC again if there was something else to do other than 'catch or breed eggs, and then wait'. Maybe this will be the thing she needs to peak her interest again, especially if the tasks we have to do are different every month.

As far as 'owning the trade market', the people who do and always will own the trade market are the ones who seem to have the easiest time catching cb metallics (gold / silver). Those drop far more often than prize dragons usually breed true.

Peace.

1. I still prefer the Store suggestion, but a monthly raffle is MUCH better than no new prizes at all.

2. The thing I'm happiest about is that you have to enter manually. No more auto entries just because you log in during the Winter event. And it being task based means you have to be active to play.

3. Being able to pick your code would be great, but I can live without it.

4. Any chance of winning something other than a Tinsel or Shimmer? Had I ever won the old raffle, I would have chosen a caveborn Holly. It would also be cool to get Neglecteds (I've never managed to make my own and had to trade for the one I have).

As far as we know, no "honorable mentions" are involved, just the two prize species.