Obscure_Trash

Your Dragon Ideas

That's a really cool name for a dragon breed!

Thanks! It comes from a dragon character I made up in the Shadow Toxin Dragon description, if you want I can try and message you the picture smile.gif It's digital as well, so no need to squint haha

I was just heading over here to post this.

A little clockwork dragon is something I want really bad, have sketched several designs for, and even claimed some names for, despite knowing that TJ said there won't be any more like the papers and cheeses.

I can still dream.... sad.gif

Omg, I have an intense need for a clockwork dragon now ;-; I imagine the sprites would be so lovely and intricate.

pls to be a thing

My friend and I keep talking about making a hydra, where it starts out with one or two heads but when you try to kill it it can have 3 outcomes: dodged, death, or beheading one of the heads. If the latter happens the sprite changes to having another head, and you can go up to 5 heads overall but there's always a chance you'll just straight up kill it and you would have to start from the beginning. The same can be done on frozen or even growing hatchlings. I think it would be exciting to collect one of each possible number of heads. Or you could just keep them at their minimum amount of heads and not attack them at all.

Very intense. =o Could also be fun, lol.

~

I'm sure I'm not the first one who's had this idea, but a post in DR about hybrids gave me a (genetically unrealistic) idea for hybrids. A hybrid from two two parent breeds with colorful dimorphism (so, example, monarch x anagallis, or neb/ridge/dorsal/lumina/lunar/whatever) where the looks of the hybrid depends on the pairing rather than the hybrid's gender.

So, male monarch x female anagallis could result in a dark dragon with hints/streaks of blue, while male anagallis x female monarch could result in a light green dragon with hints/streaks of green. This being instead of a male hybrid result being a black and red dragon and a female being a black and blue dragon (color dimorphism like hybrids). Or you could go even deeper and also have dimorphism from each pairing based on the hybrid's gender. So, male x monarch x female anagallis could result in a male dragon that is a dark dragon with hints/streaks of blue or a female dragon that is a dark gray with hints/streaks of green. Then male anagallis x female monarch could result in a male dragon that is a dark gray with hints/streaks of red or a female dragon that is lighter colored with hints/streaks of green. Or whatever. Would just be fun to play around with color combos. Breeding hybrid x hybrid could also be fun to play around with what results you would get. But I could ramble on forever about complicated breeding just from this one hybrid. xP

~

I apparently get a lot of inspiration from insects. We have a lot of stink bugs (pinacate beetle/clown beetle/darkling) here, which are distinctive not only for the secretion with a foul odor they produce when threatened, but for the fact that they stick their butts up in the air (a "beetle handstand") when they do this.

So I thought a lil stinkbug inspired pygmy that sticks its butt up in the air when threatened to release a foul odor/secretion to ward off predators would be funny-cute. It's probably a little odder for a reptile or mammal to stick their butt up in the air to do this than it is for a beetle, but whatever.

A fun quirk could be that if it hatches onto a scroll with any destruction-aligned growing hatchies on it, then it grows up into the butts up sprite. If it hatches onto a scroll with no destruction-aligned growing hatchies, then it's just a relaxed pose.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I'd like to make a dragon loosely based on a frog's lifecycle. It would start out with no legs or wings or anything, but it would grow legs eventually, bamboozling everyone who thought it was a wyrm tongue.gif

Say... I'd like more bamboozling dragons in general. Where's a dragon that hatches with wings but loses them as an S2?

something that goes like this: a breed of small, white or light coloured dragon that have slim and smooth body feature and glow-y scale that make soft light of different tone of green in the dark. They live in pack in the northern portion of the world (like on Alpine) and mostly appear in fall and winter when it is colder; when they fly together at night they create the magnificent view of something like northern light.

I don't know. I thought of this idea in my bed when I was thinking about my project about pole and northern light, but both the name aurora dragon and lantern dragon seem to have been taken when I checked. And I didn't want to show my horrible drawing, so this idea was just stuck in my head....

Dern people from chat getting me all hyped up about horny toads and the fact that they squirt blood from their eyes when threatened and now wanting a smol, precious pygmy that squirts blood from its eyes when threatened.

I'd like to make a dragon loosely based on a frog's lifecycle. It would start out with no legs or wings or anything, but it would grow legs eventually, bamboozling everyone who thought it was a wyrm

That would certainly be bamboozling, although I suppose it's not much weirder than the hatchies whose legs morph into wings upon maturing. xP

Most people can only squirt tears from their eyes when threatened xd.png

I would love a dragon inspired by manis / pangolin

They should live in desert and have the body covered in big scales. No wings, so they should be wyrms really.

They should be quite small in size, so larger dragons can predate them. Like pangolins when they feel in danger they tend to close in a sort of ball, with their thick scales creating a sort of armor all around them.

I would call them "sandwyrms"

I would love a dragon inspired by manis / pangolin

They should live in desert and have the body covered in big scales. No wings, so they should be wyrms really.

They should be quite small in size, so larger dragons can predate them. Like pangolins when they feel in danger they tend to close in a sort of ball, with their thick scales creating a sort of armor all around them.

I would call them "sandwyrms"

I love this idea! Pangolins are probably my favorite animal in the world so I definitely would not mind a dragon based around them.

I would like to see some kind of massive water beast-dragon, maybe a stingray or mola mola type. They would be really pacific herbivores, just the giants of the sea, floating around, being massive.

Lol. Lovely idea for a discussion.

Here's an idea I've had floating around in my head for awhile that will unfortunately never make it into the cave: dragon insects. Based on dragonflies, with the insect type wings, and on a quote from a book that talked about mosquitoes "the size of B-52s." Basically, hand sized insectoid dragons. Since pygmies are firmly established as the smallest dragons there's no chance TJ would go for the idea but it's fun to roll around in my head sometimes.

Well, Pygmies had their breed description changed to "being on the same scale as domesticated animals" (from "being the size of a small cat" before) so you could probably have insectoid dragons the size of a very small domesticated animal - bees are kinda domesticated, aren't they? xd.png

Had the idea of a medium/small dragon that specializes in illusions, and whose true form has never been documented. Instead, whenever someone gets within a radius where they might be able to see the dragon, it casts an illusion which causes it to appear as a giant creature across the horizon. Wouldn't work on DC, since I'm not sure how you'd convey the horizon part in sprite form without props, and of course the sprite is supposed to feature the dragon's true form anyway.

Im gonna throw out a couple ideas here, all of them are just quick little ones and i may add some more indepth ideas later!

Fossil/Bone dragon: a dragon that has an exoskeleton made of bone/ a dragon that hatches from an old fossil. collects and wears bones maybe?

Guardian of Nature but more: dragons that protect certain kinds of areas designed after the egg hunting areas such as desert/forest/alpine. The eggs look to be made of wood, water, etc and instead of hatching, the egg slowly morphs into the hatchling which is made of the same material as the egg. Whatever its made of seems to be much stronger than usual and the dragon seems to grow stronger in biomes similar to where its found but will die outside of it because its mana is literally what its made of and only comes from the biome. 

a dragon whose egg is the size of a pygmy but grows much much larger

Jade dragon: made to look like an Oni type dragon and made of jadeite stone with unique and intricate carvings in its scales. 

Spider dragon: a dragon who has eight legs, is a pygmy, spins webs, and its body is thick like a spider and has a short face with mandibles and eight eyes

a wolf dragon: A dragon with large feathered wings and the body of a large long limbed wolf (like the Maned Wolf) is found in forest and the egg is fuzzy?

a ceramic dragon: A four legged dragon who looks to be made of porcelain and has the blue flowery designs on it. Good friends with tea dragon (lol) maybe?

A wyrm that grows underground in dark and moist soil with sharp spines and it burrows underground creating complicated tunnel systems and will hunt creatures that live above ground by ambushing them from below. Very large dragon, no eyes, very aggressive?

Glass Dragon, whose egg looks to be made from crystal shaped glass and priary coloration is clear but can also rarely become a stained glass dragon? has sharp feather like glass shards as scales and is found in desert and coast.

EDIT: oh also a feline type dragon that looks like a leopard? Perhaps very large with curved horns going backwards?

Edited by TheGrimWitch