angelicdragonpuppy

Remove 5 Hour Wait

Apparently this topic hasn't seen the light of day since 2012 O___o

Anyway I was thinking about it, and is there any compelling reason to keep the 5 hour wait around?

for abandoning cb eggs right?

i thought its purpose was to keep people from grabbing as many eggs as they can only to abandon them right away so they can farm the cave for rares

Ooh. That makes sense, but at the same time, wouldn't any rare they unearthed be instantly grabbed while they were busy abandoning them? I've never seen a rare sit more than a few seconds even in very slow biomes with just a few people hunting.

And now that the AP doesn't block the cave, a host of low time CBs in there isn't so bad. Not bad at all.

I'm more for the suggestion of being able to teleport CB eggs right away and the CD transfers with them ~

Yeah, honestly with recent changes and the extremely high demand of rares I don't see any harm in removing it entirely... It's not like low-time commons would be unwanted, after all.

e: Plus, this is a change that can be fairly safely reverted if it does cause problems.

Edited by Guillotine

When I was trying to get a Gold egg, I was catching 7 eggs as quickly as possible two or three times a day. It took me 3 months to get the Gold. This way I was dumping 14 - 21 eggs each day into the AP. Every member has some difficult to catch things they want. I can imagine that a person could catch and toss 8 eggs in about 2 minutes. Do you really think it's a good idea for every member who is hunting a particular egg to have the opportunity to dump 210 eggs or more every hour to the AP? I don't.

An awful lot of eggs would wind up dying in the AP long before they got to the front of the line.

When I was trying to get a Gold egg, I was catching 7 eggs as quickly as possible two or three times a day. It took me 3 months to get the Gold. This way I was dumping 14 - 21 eggs each day into the AP. Every member has some difficult to catch things they want. I can imagine that a person could catch and toss 8 eggs in about 2 minutes. Do you really think it's a good idea for every member who is hunting a particular egg to have the opportunity to dump 210 eggs or more every hour to the AP? I don't.

An awful lot of eggs would wind up dying in the AP long before they got to the front of the line.

Honestly a huge population of ER CB commons in the AP might do the ratios a lot of good xd.png

I still think 99% of rare hunting this way will end up with someone else getting the rare, though, which would hopefully discourage people.

Yeah, as a few others have already mentioned, the wait is the only thing stopping people from grabbing eggs and just instantly dumping them to farm rares. The effect this would have on the AP, the biomes, ratios....yeah, too many negatives to justify removing it. Though perhaps instead, as wolfgirlys suggested, being able to teleport them.

Not only do I totally agree, I actually brought up this very subject last night on the 11th anniversary thread. I grabbed three unwanted eggs in my search for the new releases (which began two days late because I am just not good at noticing things). I was worried that I would lose my chance completely to grab the new eggs because of those stupid unwanted ones that I had to wait five hours to get rid of. And this morning I did it AGAIN! Maybe I'm just click-happy, but I find the five-hour wait WAY more annoying than helpful.

As for the idea that the five-hour wait prevents the AP from being flooded or something... that seems like nonsense to me. If I grabbed an egg I didn't intend to get, I'm not going to magically change my mind about it in five hours. I always get rid of them. I'm pretty sure almost everyone does the same thing. CBs are getting dumped, just five hours later, which changes and helps absolutely nothing.

I have a better idea. How about, when you try and grab an egg in the cave, if you're not successful, the same message appears as always. But if you ARE successful, a message appears showing the egg you've grabbed and saying, "Are you sure you want this egg?" And if not, you can just toss it back into the cave for someone else to get. That would solve the problem AND it wouldn't change ratios or what-have-you.

Edited by bob_jones

While you might not change your mind about an unwanted egg within 5 hours, you still won't be able to dump more than 4 times your egg limit to the AP on any given day, thanks to the 5 hour wait.

However, if you didn't have to wait 5 hours, you could dump an endless amount of eggs to the AP. The AP would turn into a dump for CB commons, with the occasional bred egg hidden in the wall.

Sorry, but I cannot support this suggestion. If the five hour wait is removed, we can just as well introduce an egg shuffle upon refresh - at least the AP won't be sacrificed with that change.

No support as well.

The five hour wait is one of the main aspects that adds a challenge to CB hunting-- you've got to control your click reflex and yet non hesitate when you see what you're hunting for.

And, I agree with what olympe said about filling the AP.

What makes the wait painful for me is not the wait itself, but the 5 hour. Usually my time is in neater 3 hour chunks. So 5 really means 12. I don't know if that's a common issue for others but I'll throw it out there. I don't think the wait should be removed. but I wouldn't mind seeing it tweaked.

I'm more for the suggestion of being able to teleport CB eggs right away and the CD transfers with them ~

Agreed.

The most I'd support is lowering the wait time - not removing it completely.

However, if you didn't have to wait 5 hours, you could dump an endless amount of eggs to the AP. The AP would turn into a dump for CB commons, with the occasional bred egg hidden in the wall.

Additionally, the cave would probably not be a good place anymore to actually search for specific commons, or nice codes, because everything would be randomly grabbed by people who hunt for rares using the "grab everything, then look at it, abandon non-rares, repeat" method.

In that scenario, the AP would be the new cave for commons, and the cave would be a "rare egg lottery".

Maybe that wouldn't even be completely bad (low time CB eggs in the AP! smile.gif ), but it would change the game a lot.

I don't support it because IMO the seemingly small change would have unpredictable (and possibly unwanted) consequences.

I would like if we could create teleports without the 5 hour wait though. (Either teleporting the cooldown along with the egg, or the egg can only be taken after the cooldown. Both would be an improvement especially in case of time zone differences between users.)

This I support. The 5 hour wait as such is fine - and in my view necessary. The Cat has spelt out why. If I need a canopy - and sometimes I do - I know where to find one. I do NOT want to have to trawl the AP and desperately catch and release loads of eggs while looking for a CB.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Grabbing an egg should be a somewhat conscious/meaningful decision. If you can drop any egg you get immediately as soon as something better comes along (or utilize spare egg slots to cycle eggs from the cave into the AP), then that's not "meaningful." It also has unfortunate ecosystem effects: grabbing eggs you don't want may move the cave for you, but it doesn't mean no one wants those eggs.

So the five hour wait is highly intentional and still serving its purpose.