Paradisiske

dont have dead eggs take up an eggslot for 24 hour

so really my friend just joined the game recently and ended up killing an egg because she didnt know any better. and i just thought it was kind of ridiculous to have a dead egg take up an eggslot for 24 hours.

why not have a dead egg take up an eggslot for 5 hours instead? same amount of cooldown it takes to abandon a cb egg you just picked up from the cave.

likes?dislikes?thoughts?

I fully support this. It's so irking when you're trying to get a zombie or a ND, and the egg dies. Then you have to wait an entire day to get another egg. It just seems ridiculous, compared to the 5 hours it takes when abandoning an egg

I fully support this. It's so irking when you're trying to get a zombie or a ND, and the egg dies. Then you have to wait an entire day to get another egg. It just seems ridiculous, compared to the 5 hours it takes when abandoning an egg

Zombie eggs aren't a thing that exists and eggs that die via time running out (aka NDs) don't take up a slot either. It only activates for direct kill attempts.

I'm rather neutral on this. I think it makes sense that deliberately killing an egg would come with a heavy price.

I fully don't support it. It is a choice you make to kill an egg. If an egg dies all by itself from not enough views or too many, it doesn't take up a slot. The 24 hours for a deliberate kill is a consequence of a chosen action - for whatever reason you chose to kill - neglecting, biting or just sheer rage. You don't want the 24 hour slot taken - don't kill. An absolute choice.

Edited by fuzzbucket

Zombie eggs aren't a thing that exists and eggs that die via time running out (aka NDs) don't take up a slot either. It only activates for direct kill attempts.

I'm rather neutral on this. I think it makes sense that deliberately killing an egg would come with a heavy price.

i understand that but what about newbies that dont know any better? it doesnt seem fair to punish them for their lack of inexperience so much.

and dont vamp bites and earthquake take up an eggslot if the egg dies? (i dont remember if they do or dont since i havent used them in awhile)

i understand that but what about newbies that dont know any better? it doesnt seem fair to punish them for their lack of inexperience so much.

and dont vamp bites and earthquake take up an eggslot if the egg dies? (i dont remember if they do or dont since i havent used them in awhile)

Yes they do - and they too are a choice we make.

I do think that perhaps the help page on our scrolls could mention this consequence - the 24 hour wait - though.

Newbies by nature are clueless. They might lunge on a CB Waterwalker instead of a CB Gold or freeze things they'll later regret. Such is the nature of being new. They'll learn. A 24 hour wait is a pretty small thing in the long run and will teach them the fairly obvious--grabbing an egg just to smash it is bad. Maybe, as Fuzz said, just add a note to the help page or kill action itself mentioning killed eggs take up a slot for 24 hours. That would help with the new players you occasionally see making confused posts about why they can't get their full amount of eggs after a kill.

Vamp and EQ do, yes. EQ is probably the least used least useful BSA around so it's not a big deal. Vampires are a different matter, but again, that's what we gamble with when we try to propagate the undead. tongue.gif

I do sometimes have vamp fails on misclicks and then I feel the pain of the wait. I get where you're coming from. But I also think it's not a huge deal overall AND is a great safeguard against encouraging people to murder eggs willy-nilly, or worse, a troll to keep grabbing them just to kill. (yes, kill slots are limited, but even when maxed out vampires and EQ can be used to exceed the limit)

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

Newbies by nature are clueless. They might lunge on a CB Waterwalker instead of a CB Gold or freeze things they'll later regret. Such is the nature of being new. They'll learn. A 24 hour wait is a pretty small thing in the long run and will teach them the fairly obvious--grabbing an egg just to smash it is bad. Maybe, as Fuzz said, just add a note to the help page or kill action itself mentioning killed eggs take up a slot for 24 hours. That would help with the new players you occasionally see making confused posts about why they can't get their full amount of eggs after a kill.

Vamp and EQ do, yes. EQ is probably the least used least useful BSA around so it's not a big deal. Vampires are a different matter, but again, that's what we gamble with when we try to propagate the undead. tongue.gif

I do sometimes have vamp fails on misclicks and then I feel the pain of the wait. I get where you're coming from. But I also think it's not a huge deal overall AND is a great safeguard against encouraging people to murder eggs willy-nilly, or worse, a troll to keep grabbing them just to kill. (yes, kill slots are limited, but even when maxed out vampires and EQ can be used to exceed the limit)

well thats why im not asking for there to be no punishment for dead eggs at all. just the same cooldown as waiting to abandon a freshly caught cb egg.

though i understand where you and fuzz are coming from. i still just dont think its fair to wait such a long time

I do think that a full 24 hours is a bit overkill, but I'm not sure that shortening it to the normal time for abandoning is the right answer either. Maybe something like 8-12 hours? Still a severe enough punishment to deter careless killing/EQs/Bites without having to wait a full day.

Pretty sure the intent was killing a missclick is less desirable than waiting to abandon. that's why it's longer. I don't really have a problem with it, but it could be argued that now that there is a kill limit AND the AP is always overflowing means your not really depriving someone else that might have wanted it. Which I feel is the main reason killing was considered so bad when the site started.

So, I'm fairly neutral on this.

Sorry, no support. Killing a dragon, as an egg or otherwise, should come with consequences. You say a newbie might not know any better... If they have common sense, they should at least realize that *killing* an egg will have repercussions. I support the idea of a notice on the Kill action or somewhere, showing that it will take up a slot for 24 hours. I do not support removing or lessening the consequence.

No support at all. If you kill an egg, you know what you're doing. The action isn't called "kill" for nothing. And "accidentally" killing by using EQ and Bite: Well, you chose to risk your egg, even if you weren't aware of it. You'll know better next time.

Making the wait for killed eggs be only 5 hours will make Biting CB misclicks even more tempting than it already is. Either you're stuck with the egg as usual for 5 hours, or you get lucky and have the egg be discarded to the AP by chance. Right now, at least there's a small risk involved.

I support this.

Death penalty has been added for Earthquake quite a while ago, it had none, before.

I support the Death Penalty to be removed in case of Earthquake BSA and Bite BSA. Because even though we are warned that the eggs could die in process, it was an ACCIDENT after all.

I would love them removed for the BSAs.

No support. I killed a some eggs via EQ when I was new to the site. I didn't want to wait to abandon them. (The pygmies had just been released and I wanted to hatch my eggs faster.)

Let's just say... I wait the 5 hours now.

If we take the cooldown from killing eggs to 5 hours, I think that defeats the purpose of why it's 24 hours. It makes EQ and Bite risky. I enjoy that. And it makes killing eggs undesirable.

Newbies sometimes have to learn by making mistakes. Whether it be dead eggs or forum warns.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

I support this.

Death penalty has been added for Earthquake quite a while ago, it had none, before.

I support the Death Penalty to be removed in case of Earthquake BSA and Bite BSA. Because even though we are warned that the eggs could die in process, it was an ACCIDENT after all.

I would love them removed for the BSAs.

Earthquake without death would be ridiculously overpowered. "Free chance to hatch all your eggs early with NO RISK whatsoever!" If anything, I can see an argument for lowering the odds of EQ / Vanp failure, but not removing not it completely.

If you're warned beforehand of the potential negative consequences of an action and then that action produces that negative outcome, it's not an accident. You don't choose to kill the egg with EQ and bite, but you do choose to accept the risk of it, so it's not an accident when they die.

Ultimately I don't support this; I think the 24-hour wait is fine as is.

Edited by Infinis

I'm honestly surprised by most of the responses to this thread. Though I can kind of understand them. Maybe just half the time to 12 hours? (Though I would personally love if the wait was lowered to 5 hours, I can't see that happening).

Experience is how you learn.

Honestly, I think 24 hours is fine. I've taken the chance to lock myself with vamp bites in the past, and I'll take it in the future. And I've lived just fine through the wait. If it's really gonna bother me, I make sure to only bit when I have other eggs close to hatching or other open slots so I won't be completely locked up by the bite.

Twelve hours is a much more reasonable reduction of time. I could possibly support that, but I'm not super bothered by the wait myself.

Experience is how you learn.

Honestly, I think 24 hours is fine. I've taken the chance to lock myself with vamp bites in the past, and I'll take it in the future. And I've lived just fine through the wait. If it's really gonna bother me, I make sure to only bit when I have other eggs close to hatching or other open slots so I won't be completely locked up by the bite.

Twelve hours is a much more reasonable reduction of time. I could possibly support that, but I'm not super bothered by the wait myself.

This - SO much.

I fully don't support it. It is a choice you make to kill an egg. If an egg dies all by itself from not enough views or too many, it doesn't take up a slot. The 24 hours for a deliberate kill is a consequence of a chosen action - for whatever reason you chose to kill - neglecting, biting or just sheer rage. You don't want the 24 hour slot taken - don't kill. An absolute choice.

I completely agree.

Also on the note that newbies might not know, well it happened to me, too, the first vampire bite experiment I did resulted in a dead egg and I was shocked to see it stays there for 24 hours. But guess what, after that I knew the consequences, and learnt my lesson. And honestly it was so not a big deal, I was more sorry for killing an egg than being annoyed by the waiting.

So yeah, I totally agree with the 24 hour thing.

No support, for all the reasons others have given. And I'm speaking as someone who often forces ND eggs, which means sometimes I'm left with a shell taking up a space for 24h. But that's the penalty for voluntarily performing a harmful act. *shrug*

I'm one who bites impatiently when I misclick and i regret it most of the time. I still do it and I bite the bullet and take my medicine.