blockEdragon

Allow precognition to be used on trade offers

Which one would you prefer? (HA figured out how to make a poll, a victory for blockE!)  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you prefer? (HA figured out how to make a poll, a victory for blockE!)

• Idea A.
    • Idea B.
    • Other (Please elaborate)
    • None (Please explain why you don't want this to be implemented)

This poll is closed to new votes

On 9/29/2017 at 4:57 AM, TJ09 said:

I think the discussion here is glossing over the added complication of influence. It would be completely reasonable to show the precognition result if the owner had used the BSA on an egg and then tried to trade it, but if the egg had also been influenced, then all bets are off, and it's not exactly directly clear why (e.g. the site could simply not show the result because it's guaranteed to be unknown again after trading, but it'd be confusing why it doesn't show up. Directly saying "this egg has been influenced, so its gender will be unknown after trading" is a little more clear, but still feels awkward).

In idea A: this isn't relevant, as Influence can't be used on eggs in a teleport, so it can't be used after the precog which has been applied during teleport.

In idea B: to me, quite simply, if the egg is influenced after precog, this should simply "undo" the precog, which has no value anymore. The text would be removed from the dragon's view page. There would only be a new precog text on the view page if the dragon is precogged again after this influence.

I don't see any of this as any sort of real obstacle to this suggestion.

On 5/16/2017 at 5:08 AM, Fuzzbucket said:

I don't really care, but IF, I'd rather A - as it means the person wanting the egg uses one of their own Aeons and suffers the cooldown on it.

And I REALLY dislike B anyway. I might prefer not to broadcast the sex of my growing things to others ahead of time.

A: Maybe double the cool-down period, they have to precog basically someone elses dragons. (I'd support this.)

And B I could see it being absued as a form of free precog.  (I would not support this)

@Starscream You could do B (in my opinion best, as it's most generally useful) without exposing extra information, by saying "An Aeon used Precognition to show that this egg will be X gender" (if one has) and "This egg seems like it will be X gender" (the text needs work). Whichever happened first should be listed first, to avoid confusing situations like "precogged X, influenced Y".

One could easily get friends to "check out my trade, what's the precog?"  Cancels trade. which is where my thoughts go.

I think the ability to use pre-cog on an egg that has been offered might be good, if the pentalty was doubled.

17 minutes ago, Starscream said:

One could easily get friends to "check out my trade, what's the precog?"  Cancels trade. which is where my thoughts go.

I think the ability to use pre-cog on an egg that has been offered might be good, if the pentalty was doubled.

Er, this idea suggests showing precogs if you have already precogged it. I think.

If not, I believe it should.

Edited by osmarks

The main problem with that is A.it implies that you can contact that person (giving forum names is not allowed) and B. it would speed up the process because PMing people for trades is about as smooth and enjoyable an experience as pulling teeth from the back of a muscle car driving a gravel road.

This suggestion goes for one or both options, allowing you to precog what is offered to you (not just any egg, specifically what is being offered on one/either end of a teleport) and/or having the option for the owner to write down what it precoged as right on the dragon's page.