I searched and was surprised to find that nobody had made a thread for this. This is a place to chat about your favorite trails, equipment, how long you go for, geocashing, experiences you've had, etc.

I'm quite the casual hiker, I have only been on day hikes, but I love being in nature. I go on forest walks almost every day, we have this small pine tree forest near our apartment and I've been exploring that recently. Sometimes I go for day trips to national parks or other trails around, take some coffee and sandwiches with me to devour when I'm taking in the views.

There's quite many good national parks and nature trails here in Finland, and beautiful forests and views to explore, so hiking as a hobby is quite popular here!

There's a place I usually go to called Murphy's Dome and it is a system of medium - larger hills that have really pretty views. Lots of blueberries / cranberries / blackberries to pick too. And a plethora of mosquitos. Another one I love to hike is Donnelly Dome, it's fair sized, haven't gotten to the top yet. Last time I went I was lucky enough to see caribou and have a pretty tough time hiking through tundra....then finding a small trail to the right of us as we headed back haha.

Casual hiking sounds so nice, sadly I live in town and it is harder to go out and find a place to hike without a lot of others around. Places I do know of, and are close, have a fair chance of running into moose.

I used to go hiking, our family vacations were always more nature-focused than city-focused. Probably my favorite hiking spots on our vacations was in Estes Park. I don't remember any trails specifically though, sorry. Though I do remember one where it involved hiking up a mountain to see three mountain lakes. It was difficult(for us), but very beautiful.

I've only ever been hiking once or twice, but I had fun. The trail I went on was beautiful, and had the most trillium I've ever seen in my life and the tallest trees. I hope at some point in my life to try the trail that stretches across the whole country I live in. Perhaps if I learned how to a ride horse, I could take a friend and do the trail both on and off a horse.

Because of my knees I am unable to do much walking at all, but with two of my friends who are avid hikers, I drive them to different areas of Southern California around where we live and drop them off and then sit and read my book and talk with others who may amble by.  When they show back up, hours later, we go someplace for a meal and I drop them off at home.  We get together at other times as well.  We are all former US Navy men, one slightly younger and one about 10 years older than I and all Vietnam Veterans...  I don't feel left out, because they are doing what they like and I am doing what I like...  

Edited by Husky51
spelling

I found out recently that my state has a hiking challenge. If you hike 10 of their chosen trails (and provide photo evidence you were really there!) you get a pin/medallion, and if you hike all 14 trails you're entered into a drawing for a hiking staff. I haven't done a ton of hiking but I enjoy nature trails so I'm planning to give it a shot this summer!