cefren_

Dragon Encyclopedia Update

Hey guys!

I wonder if it's possible to add the egg descriptions for every breed after you unlocked the image of the egg? With this extra update the "blank pages" where are no information about the breed will disappear and this make the encyclopedia a bit more useful. Because if the main purpose of this function is to have more information about the breeds then why would we let out a really useful detail like the egg description? And I know the egg descriptions are already on the wiki pages, but with this update you will not need to open another site.

Sorry for my Hunglish, I hope everything is understandable.

As I recall this has already come up

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=164600

and

https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=177415

and TJ said the BASIC information does not belong in the encyclopaedia - you'll note that the basic description that we get on the dragon's page isn't there either. The encyclopaedia is for stuff that is MORE than the basics.

Also though - if you have unlocked the page you already know the description...

Your English is fine smile.gif

Edited by fuzzbucket

Although I get TJ's point, I still feel it's kind of a waste not to use the Encyclopedia for more useful things, like egg descriptions, or linking hybrids to their parents' breed.

The Wiki, while really great and very helpful, is unofficial; I wish we had more info on the main site, and the Encyclopedia does seem the best place for this, especially since so many pages are almost empty. (I guess the Help pages could work too, maybe? but I don't really like the idea of adding too much in there)

So, although it's been (kind of) shot down before, I support. smile.gif

I still think this should be a thing. It's really dumb that I have to go off site to check up egg descriptions or even adult info when it could all easily be condensed in the encyclopedia :/

Edited by angelicdragonpuppy

I have to agree here. I did not know that TJ had shot this down before, but I do not understand why he did. Making us go off-site to get the egg descriptions is just annoying, and not really a good game mechanic. The information you need to play the game should be.... A part of the game. Somewhere.

Thing is though, by the time you have actually unlocked enough of a page to read it you probably have the egg description in your head. The encyclopaedia isn't visible until you've done all that viewing....

That was certainly true for me when DC was smaller, but I don't do hunting much anymore, and there are a LOT of species now. I'd find the egg descriptions being available in the Encyclopedia useful, but only if it also includes information on where the dragon drops. Otherwise, I'd end up going to the Wiki anyways to double check. Some of the dragons, like Striped Rivers, don't exactly drop in the most logical biome.

It already DOES have where they drop....

Actually you will get the image of the egg in the encyclopedia after you get one egg from that breed and it's hatched. But what if that egg hatches and you want another from the cave? You can't check the egg description again on the dragon's profile, because there will be the hatchling's description from that point. This update not for the veteran players who are already filled most of the encyclopedia and remember most of the egg texts, this is mainly for the beginners who don't memorised yet the egg descriptions for the breeds. (And yeah, there are a lot of breeds now, so not just the beginners but some older player could find this update useful). And in the game the role of the encyclopedia is that we make these notes about the breeds which are raised or observed by us (like Newt in the Fantastic beasts) but if we make notes about the apperance of the hatchlings and adults then why would we let out the egg's apperance? That is a important information too, it's a bit illogical to not write it in for later use. laugh.gif

Edited by cefren_

But the breed description as seen on the dragon's page isn't there either... (I am on the fence about this one, as I actually don't mind a whole lot either way... just wondering.)

Even WITH the availability elsewhere and most stuff in my head (been here since 2008) I'm for it.

For example - while I have all egg descrips up to 2015 or so memorised the newer ones - not so much. Too many of them are too similar to older ones and my mind only says *some relatively new breed* when I don't immediately recognise a desription. And the problem will only grow as more and more breeds are getting added.

At the moment if I don't want to use the wiki it's easiest to BREED an egg of that species and read the descrip before abandoning it before hunting that specific kind of egg - sounds counterintuitive.

When I'm searching for a particular info about a breed (be it egg description or regular breed info or advanced breed info) I often check on the encyclopedia, a dragon I own of that species (might require several clicks to find it on my scroll because 6k plus dragons but only 2 of some breeds), and/or the wiki.

I HAVE access to all the info but if I need a specific fact I would be grateful to have them all accessible from one neat page instead of clicking around.

For example I read a descrip and there's something which strikes me as vaguely contradictory to the breed's desription. But I can't remember the sentence word for word so I want to check if I should accept/reject. Say it's a Striped River. I go to page 6 or so of my scroll because I know they are there somewhere. I sort by a personal rainbow so they blend in with their sorroundings. It's perfectly possible I scroll over the small group of Striped Rivers (2 adults 3 freezies) several times, or that they fell over to page 7 since the last time I checked because I collected so many dragons since then. A process which may take 3 or 4 clicks, extense scrolling and something in the order of 1 minute of my time.

If it was accessibble via the encyclopedia I would find the Striped River IMMEDIATELY since it's one dragon among other individual dragons (not overwhhelmed) on ONE page, so the same process would take about 10 seconds.

Doesn't sound like much? Yeah, only a factor of 6...

I'd really appreciate if the standard egg /hatchie/breed descrip would be 'unlocked' with the corresponding sprites on the wiki because

a - it makes sense

b - it SHOULD be rather easy to add (she says naively)

c - it would spare users a LOT of time in the long run that could be invested more constructively

/end rambling

Huh, kind of odd that TJ rejected the idea of putting the dragon's descriptions on their encyclopedia pages... I personally am annoyed by the lack of complete pages we have, but I also know that only the creators of the dragons can come out with that information and make it official, so there's nothing to do about it, really. As one who likes to tie facts together though, or "fill in the blanks" with both descriptions and encyclopedia entries, it makes sense to me that somewhere on the page there would be a "dragon descriptions" section, like as if you - the scroll owner - put your observations about the breed (the descriptions) in there while you explored the dragon more (providing the encyclopedia information). Even if it is redundant, it would be nice to have all of that stuff in one place, and eggs can't be frozen so it's not like you can just hunt around on your scroll for a breed that you have but are still hunting for.

As another idea... I think the OP is asking for an Egg Observations section on the encyclopedia page? That's not a bad solution, as it can imply the breed's egg description without actually giving it away, but there's still the problem that many dragons don't have complete encyclopedia pages in the first place... An empty page means the creator never made more information about the dragon, and only the creator can resolve that. Those sections would have to be filled out either through community speculation/interpretation, or by TJ himself adding hints (which also isn't a bad idea, but I doubt he'll take the time to do it), if we don't want to wait around for the creators to come up with the descriptions. We could make it mandatory for submitting the dragon, but I don't think that'll work either... less work means more user-submitted dragons, which means more breeds for TJ to implement, which means more breeds for us to hunt. That would just end up as a roadblock, in the end.

So in sum, I support this wholeheartedly but I really doubt that it will happen. I imagine TJ is complacent with how things currently are, and the wikia is way too easy of an excuse for not doing it; although I agree that a game with an in-game encyclopedia should make more use of it, instead of essentially saying "Just go here because redundancy!" whenever you're looking for a description.

It already DOES have where they drop....

Ok, shows how often I look at the Encyclopedia. x3 In that case, it would definitely be a good addition to have the egg description.

I agree with EVERYTHING that Herk said.

I can't remember most of the newer eggs. But if I want to go hunting for them, I always have to go to the Wiki. I should be able to go to the Encyclopedia and get all common and esoteric knowledge on the dragons.

Herk is spot on.

I shouldn't have to leave the encyclopedia to look up an egg description so I can hunt them.

I shouldn't have to leave the encyclopedia to double check something I remember from the adult description.

Herk is spot on.

I shouldn't have to leave the encyclopedia to look up an egg description so I can hunt them.

I shouldn't have to leave the encyclopedia to double check something I remember from the adult description.

Just a small correction - I forgot that while we're checking descriptions in the queue we can no see the breed descrip above. But still that means these changes can be made and as in the queue I would GREATLY appreciate it here.