RealWilliamShakespeare

Unpopular Video Game Opinions

Another opinion: Pokemon. Gen 3 is considered "the best", I still think of it as "the gen that nearly made me quit Pokemon". I just found it so dull and tedious even though it introduced some of my favourite Pokemon.

Yes again! This was exactly the time where I began missing Pokemon - I grew up with Gens I and II, and then when III came out I went off Pokemon because that was the time for me where all my friends considered it uncool. With the release of IV, I promptly got back into it, but the Gen III games were just... Underwhelming? The Pokemon were cool, and the reboots have definitely done it justice, but the original games are just nah.

Yet I love gen 5, which many seem to hate.

Sad to say I can't agree with this. While I completely agree that all the Pokemon get too much hate [why are you complaining about an ice-cream Pokemon when Gen I literally had a Pokeball, a pigeon, and a pile of sludge?], V to me always seemed like the filler gen - IV was beautiful and VI was a huge 3D step up from anything that they'd ever done before. V was just in the middle - not much changed at all graphics-wise aside from that everything took a very grainy look, and the story-line was confusing as well as tedious to me. But moving sprites. Jeez, constantly-moving sprites were a godsend.

(And Chandelure. They did good there.)

next to 4, gen 2 is my least favorite pokemon gen. this is pretty subjective but imo they both have the weakest selection of pokemon and theyre the only 2 gens where i dont really love even one of the starters.

Breath of the Wild looks really bleak and lonely to me.

I've never played ANY Zelda game though and I don't really want to.

As a die-hard Zelda fan with multiple copies of every game for every console, I can't stand BoTW. I've barely made it out of the great plateau area and I'm already sick of constantly breaking weapons, freezing to death, always raining when I need to climb a cliff, and having absolutely no direction in where I'm supposed to go to move the story along. It does have people in it, most areas have a either a village or a stable and there are traveling merchants to meet everywhere. but yeah, a lot hanging out by yourself in this game.

I have one game for the Gameboy called Castle Shadowgate that I doubt was ever popular. It's short (very short, a walkthrough can fit on one page in size 20 font, lol) RPG that leaves the player to a lot of guesswork as to what their supposed to do and the wrong choice almost always results in death. But this is why it's funny to me, over a 100 ways to die and all of them have a different death message and I find it fun to see how many I can find. "So sad that your adventure ends here!" :3

I also like the Nancy Drew games for PC (the Gameboy/ds ones are not as good). the company advertises them as hidden object, but an adventure would be a better listing. They don't have HOG scenes, but you do have to find tools around town to solve puzzles and figure out the mystery. Wish more HOs were like this actually, where things actually have a meaningful use and/or aren't just piled in a few places to find.

Going off on a Pokemon S&M Rant:

While Pokémon themselves were not too bad for the new generation, the gameplay could have vastly improved. None of the veterans of Pokémon liked the fact that there was too much hand holding going on.

In my great and humble opinion, it should have been made more like Breath of the Wild. Before people start going off on this, I realise that not many people will be keen on the idea. However, they should have made it to where you can fly or swim (or take an airplane or boat) to the other regions. Instead of limiting the Pokémon you could ride, it should have been all the Pokemon that are indeed ridable.

Ex. Gogoat, Arcanine, Lapras, Kyogre, Pidgeot, etc.

Also, do you know how awesome it would be if you were running around and seeing Pokémon in the wild (kind of like Pixelmon but less pixelly.

i agree immensely with the people here saying that majora's mask isn't that good at all. i can't do things under pressure either, and timed things just make me panic.

to add my own opinion, the fact that professor layton isn't mentioned as often anymore saddens me quite a lot. i know it's been a long time since a game for that series has been released, but it's so good and i wish more people knew about it. (then again if more people knew about it'd cycle back into 2010 pl fandom era and throw itself into chaos)

Edited by luketriton

And another FF related one... I loved both FF2 and FF12, when it seems like a lot of other people hate those games. They're two of my favourite games in the franchise, especially FF12.

I haven't played 2, but I agree so much on 12. That one was my favorite FF game by far. It is what makes me miss the backward compatibility on the PS3 so bad.

Going off on a Pokemon S&M Rant:

While Pokémon themselves were not too bad for the new generation, the gameplay could have vastly improved. None of the veterans of Pokémon liked the fact that there was too much hand holding going on.

In my great and humble opinion, it should have been made more like Breath of the Wild. Before people start going off on this, I realise that not many people will be keen on the idea. However, they should have made it to where you can fly or swim (or take an airplane or boat) to the other regions. Instead of limiting the Pokémon you could ride, it should have been all the Pokemon that are indeed ridable.

Ex. Gogoat, Arcanine, Lapras, Kyogre, Pidgeot, etc.

Also, do you know how awesome it would be if you were running around and seeing Pokémon in the wild (kind of like Pixelmon but less pixelly.

I have just seen this, but oh my GoN, YES! I HATE the amount of hand-holding in SM!

"Oh, no, no, you can't go THAT way, you simply must go this way, it's the way the map says!"

"Oh, don't know what move to use here? That's okay, rather than let you experiment we'll just tell you!"

"Oh, you're a bit confused on what to do? That's okay, rather than go explore and do things, have a Navi to tell you what to do!"

Like, for crying out loud! I get that it's meant to be a "new start" and it's aimed at new players to help them along, but for veterans like us, it feels so condescending. Just let people experiment and explore, like we had to in the past games.

The way some of the people who supported it reacted to those of us who didn't, that didn't help at all, but that's a whole different story.

And that with ride Pokemon, I was so excited when I saw that and it made it sound like any Pokemon could be rode, at least to me anyway. "I can finally ride my legends like Cobalion, it will look so cool!" And then no. :/

Edited by CharonDusk

Fallout 4 was not a bad Fallout game. While it certainly could use some work, it wasn't nearly as bad as so many fans of the franchise claim. The older Fallouts were certainly not without fault.

BioShock: Infinite is by far the weakest in the BioShock series. While it does a much better job at using varied colors than the first two games, the battles were completely divorced from the story and quickly became repetitive, and the twist failed to provide any satisfaction upon completing and replaying the game.