Laura-Borealis

Cave Mint potential lineages

From what I understand, the "Cave Mints" from April 1st's "Dragon's Dilemma" can affect the breeding of Copper Dragons and Xenowyrms. So I thought it would be fun to see what that would look like. I mocked up a couple of Cave Mint/Copper lines, here. Hopefully I'm grasping correctly how Copper mating works (someone explained it to me the other day).

user posted image

user posted image

Doing something like this would require trading with other Cave Mint owners; for me that might be too much effort (and my only male CB copper is one of the brown ones... boring) but it would be cool if people did them! Sock has a Fools Mints breeding thread here, which might be a good way to find others to swap with.

Here's a couple of Mint templates if anyone wants to play with them. I don't understand Xeno breeding (I'm reading about it but it hasn't sunk in yet tongue.gif ) so I haven't tried doing them.

user posted image

user posted image

I was considering a Mageia/Mint lineage, since Mints can come from everywhere *except* the Desert biggrin.gif I like bright colours smile.gif

Someone mentioned they bred their cave mints to both xenos and a copper, in the thread discussing the event. But they didn't say what the result was.

Edited by Laura-Borealis

Just a sec and I will....

Pfui. I got - a mint. And another from my right side up CB cave one.

Just a sec and I will....

Pfui. I got - a mint. And another from my right side up CB cave one.

More breath fresheners. Oh well, it was for Science. ;-)

So I was cogitating on this, and it occurred to me. Mints are in every biome EXCEPT the desert, yes? And the Coppers that fall in the desert are the brown ones. (They also fall in the volcano.)

So if the special thing about Cave Mints is that female ones can be bred to male Coppers to produce new Coppers that are the color of their father, rather than reflecting their mother's biome... then technically, the only lineage that is impossible without a Cave Mint, vs. a normal Mint, is the one that pairs them with brown Coppers. The coppers that nobody cares about.

Am I braining that right?

So this is the only Mint/Copper pairing that is impossible without Cave Mints:

user posted image

Boring, Sidney, boring.

If I'm thinking this through correctly (I'm fighting a migraine so I admit I could be completely wrong... and let's face it, I could easily be wrong even if my neurons were firing at full capacity) then all the hullaballoo over "these are special mints because they allow breeding in special ways" really is a tempest in a teapot. unsure.gif

Personally, I bred mine to a male Ridgewing. It just seemed right tongue.gif

As far as Coppers go, I'm not sure how useful these will be. But I guess a Mint/brown Copper checker is sort of special?

If I'm thinking this through correctly (I'm fighting a migraine so I admit I could be completely wrong... and let's face it, I could easily be wrong even if my neurons were firing at full capacity) then all the hullaballoo over "these are special mints because they allow breeding in special ways" really is a tempest in a teapot. unsure.gif

Like hooooonestly... People really don't breed their mints to much, and I don't think that's going to change much even after this, except perhaps with a few people. I know this isn't the best way to do this, but I typically raise dragons exclusively via the AP, so I searched for any posts where I mentioned picking up a great mint in the Great Lineages Thread. I thanked someone for one mint/holiday line this past Christmas and before that, my only other mention of a mint line is complimenting someone else's post in 2013. So I expanded my search for anyone mentioning mints. Now not everyone describes the dragon/line they pick up, so that will certainly impact this, but what I found... was about on par with just my posts. Two other people thanking someone for the exact same mint/holiday line I picked up (and I didn't check but could have been siblings) around Christmas. And then the only mention before that is in 2014. Then the one in 2013. And that's about it.

So yeah, even if there were a lot of unique/desirable lines we could now create with these guys, I wouldn't see it occurring that much. They have a weird size compared to other dragons, meaning they don't match many other dragons or get put in a lot of lines that I've seen. So just because we can do something now doesn't mean we will. =p

In way, if I wasn't so tired, I'd like to think out how xeno breeding might be effected? But I'm too tired to even double check how xenos breed, honestly. >_e

(Also thanks for teaching me the idiom "tempest in a teapot"!)

You guys made me curious and I checked my scroll - while I was here when 'Cave' dragons dropped - I didn't get a single CB Mint from the cave before biomes were introduced. Really surprised... blink.gif

And here I was and thought I could offer breeding from my old 'Cave' Mints...

So I was cogitating on this, and it occurred to me. Mints are in every biome EXCEPT the desert, yes? And the Coppers that fall in the desert are the brown ones. (They also fall in the volcano.)

So if the special thing about Cave Mints is that female ones can be bred to male Coppers to produce new Coppers that are the color of their father, rather than reflecting their mother's biome... then technically, the only lineage that is impossible without a Cave Mint, vs. a normal Mint, is the one that pairs them with brown Coppers.

... well, unless you use Volcano Mints, obviously.

Edited by Ruby Eyes

... well, unless you use Volcano Mints, obviously.

I knew there was a hole in my logic! Thank you.

I remain willing to be convinced of Cave Mint value where Xenos are concerned. I suppose I should go read up on Xeno breeding.

As Ruby Eyes already said, Mints drop everywhere except for the Desert. So with biome Mints we can never get a Mageia from a CB Mint and a CB non-Mageia Xeno (e.g. a Gaia). "Cave" Mints can do that.

I don't think there's anything else so far, but of course there might be more biome-based breeding results with future breeds.

So with biome Mints we can never get a Mageia from a CB Mint and a CB non-Mageia Xeno (e.g. a Gaia). "Cave" Mints can do that.

So... These Mints are only useful if you're doing a very specific Xenowyrm lineage?

Well then, I might just do that laugh.gif

The good thing is, it foesn't even matter what gender combo you start with due to lack of dimorphism for both breeds xd.png

330r5n6.jpg

NOOOOO! WHY?! THAT WAS MY ONLY FREE MALE COPPER!

I'd figured I'd put the Cave aspect of my Mint to good use, bUT APPARENTLY, she wants to stay a single lady.

Edit (4/1/18): She like my Spinel though...

4g6a9j.jpg

They sure don't act like they like each other...lol.

Edited by Shokomon
Adding things, and Photobucket is a butt.