Lythiaren

Pokemon Go

Would you guys recommend PoGo to someone who's never played Pokemon and knows almost nothing about it? The only Pokemon I've actually played was Pokemon Stadium years ago, aside from fooling around on a friend's Gameboy. And I'm not sure if I'd want to keep walking around town just to keep up with competition, but it looks like it might be fun to play casually.

Would you guys recommend PoGo to someone who's never played Pokemon and knows almost nothing about it? The only Pokemon I've actually played was Pokemon Stadium years ago, aside from fooling around on a friend's Gameboy. And I'm not sure if I'd want to keep walking around town just to keep up with competition, but it looks like it might be fun to play casually.

I would, but just be warned, the servers do tend to crash a lot do to the overwhelming demand for people trying to get it

Yes!

I have never played a Pokemon game before, but I have watched the anime and I love Pokemon because they are cute.

I don't really know much, but it is still a lot of fun. It might be advantageous for you to find someone that knows a bit more for at least when you're starting though. smile.gif

~~~~

I had so much fun playing Pokemon Go today!

I was level 10 or maybe almost level 10 when we left, and I got level 15 just before we got home biggrin.gif Yay! smile.gif

I used two lucky eggs, so I had an hour of double xp, as well as an hour of incense because I used those, and I went to the beach which has lots of Pokestops along it, many of which had lures! smile.gif I caught lots of new Pokemon. smile.gif I can't wait to go back probably on the weekend or next Monday. smile.gif

I used so many Pokeballs though! I had about 200 before I left, now I have 35! Although I also have 53 great balls, of which I had 0 before. I also have so many potions now, which is good I had hardly any before! biggrin.gif

I have an egg that is 1.9/2km to hatch x_x I might go for a very short walk after dinner and hatch it, haha. xd.png

Most certainly yes, prior knowledge of pokémon doesn't matter much, only for type advantages. All the rest is changed or really easy to learn. Also, the CP system makes it easier to keep getting stronger and stronger pokémon, and the type advantages only really matter for pokémon in the same CP-tier as it seems to me. A type advantage can make your somewhat weaker pokémon still win the battle. The only type advantages that will certainly matter are immunities.

Steel is immune to Poison.

Ghost is immune to Normal and Fighting.

Normal is immune to Ghost.

Fairy is immune to Dragon.

Dark is immune to Psychic.

Ground is immune to Electric.

Flying is immune to Ground.

For further learning the type chart I'd recommend this website. I also figured out how dual types work, the order of listed types doesn't matter.

Neutral + Neutral = Neutral (1 x damage)

Neutral + Resistance = Resistance (1/2 x damage)

Neutral + Weakness = Weakness (2 x damage)

Resistance + Resistance = Double Resistance (1/4 x damage)

Weakness + Weakness = Double Weakness (4 x damage, better exploit this!)

Weakness + Resistance = Neutral (1 x damage)

Remember there's also STAB (Same Type Attack Boost). This means that if a pokémon uses an attack of it's own type or one of it's own types, it deals 50% extra damage (an additional 1.5x multiplier, resulting in 6 times the damage to an enemy with double weakness).

Dark, Steel and Fairy types weren't included from the start of the franchise, but added later on. They kept the latest typings for each pokémon in GO, but simply none of the Kanto pokémon were changed to Dark type, so that doesn't exist yet.

Edited by Felixr2

My HS bff was not in the slightest ever interested in Pokemon. Never played any of the games and never watched any of the shows. Teased me a few times for my interest.

She's now at least a level 16 in Pokemon Go and is having a blast.

~

Urgh, urgh, urgh. There was a tauros in my area, so I decided to try some incense and see if it would lure the tauros or anything else cool. A drowzee popped up (yay, haven't caught one yet!). As soon as I touched the Pokeball, the game froze. I ended up having to restart my iPad. Tried several times, but still can't get the game to even load. A complete waste of one of my free incenses. =\

My sister gave me her old phone so I could see if Pokemon Go would work on it, but it's not even compatible with the phone. D|

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Are the certain times when only certain pokemon appear? Because there's a story on my local news where two teens were shot at by a home owner because they were outside his house at 1:30 am.

The homeowner thought they were stealing from him because he overheard one of the teens say: "Did you get anything?" He shot at them as they drove away and there is obvious damage to the car, including a blown tire.

It was proven that they were playing pokemon Go and not stealing anything, and the homeowner could face charges because he can't use the stand your ground law because the vehicle was leaving and not posing a threat.

Once I can get a working smart phone I plan to download this game, but I wouldn't dare go outside and play it at night like that.

It's not that they only appear at certain moments, but nocturnal pokémon (zubat, golbat, ghastly, haunter, gengar) are more likely to appear at night.

Some of you might find this info interesting:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/180967-pokemon-go/74036311

That IS pretty interesting... altho I was already assuming STAB was a thing, it's part of pokémon combat balance to begin with. And as this is a simplified battle mechanic with only being able to improve CP, it makes sense there is no difference between physical and special moves.

I love the story in New York. Players swarming an area over a Vaporeon and I get Eevees down here like water xd.png

I've started roaming the streets at midnight on my way home from school (yes, I do homework that late). To be honest I find it easier to hunt during the day because there's more lures up.

Encountered a Blastoise twice, and had it run away twice. All of the rare pokemon tend to give me the slip. XP Pretty amazing moment when everyone in the park (there were about 40 people ranging from kids to adults) started shouting its name and alerting others of its presence!

Edited by TehUltimateMage

welp everyone is playing pokemon go and then there is me. With my windows phone. Not playing. Never lucky.

welp everyone is playing pokemon go and then there is me. With my windows phone. Not playing. Never lucky.

I know some of my viewers and one of my streamer friends doesn't have the game because they're phones are not compatible for it. My friends are getting jealous cause I keep catching all the good Pokemon. I caught a Wigglytuff the other day

I love the story in New York. Players swarming an area over a Vaporeon and I get Eevees down here like water xd.png

I would join the swarm for a vaporeon. No regrets.

Having said that I'd join the swarm for eevee too since they aren't around my city or adjacent areas.

Thanks for the help everyone, but it turns out my phone isn't compatible. Wasn't expecting it to be free though, that's pretty cool.

Oh well, maybe I'll try Ingress.

Do not feel alone. My phone that I've had for the past 4 years broke and I'm trying to get a smart phone.

I'm very happy that the game is free, I figured "It's pokemon, none of their games are ever free." I was happy to be wrong. smile.gif

Do not feel alone. My phone that I've had for the past 4 years broke and I'm trying to get a smart phone.

I'm very happy that the game is free, I figured "It's pokemon, none of their games are ever free." I was happy to be wrong. smile.gif

They were now expanding the franchise to a new domain. This domain being mobile phones gives the possibility of a free game. They made a game that's a lot like ingress, in coorperation with the company behind ingress. Ingress is free. It was very likely to be free from the start, altho I do understand your way of thinking.

It's not that they only appear at certain moments, but nocturnal pokémon (zubat, golbat, ghastly, haunter, gengar) are more likely to appear at night.

You can also find them in large, enclosed areas. The store where I work is often filled with Zubat in the middle of the day. The game seems to think that it's a cave or something. xd.png

Looks like Abra's flee rate is 99%. Someone said they don't flee after the first ball any more than other pokemon but I guess this isn't true. Oddly evolved pokemon have lower flee rates than the unevolved ones.

(see stats here: http://www.serebii.net/pokemongo/pokemon.shtml )

Edited by Ashywolf

Well, I'm bummed. My phone carrier doesn't offer any phones that will meet the criteria of what Pokemon Go needs to run. I can buy and outside phone and add it to my carrier, but the absolute cheapest I could find was $65, with a median price of around $100. I can continue using my iPad, but this means that I can only play at school (there's a park literally a block from my house with a dozen Pokestops and a Gym), which has plenty of stops and gyms, but... I'll never be able to hatch eggs (and I got three yesterday D| ), and I'll continually have to re-start the app to get GPS signal again. And I have to stick close enough to the buildings that I can get wifi to hit Pokestops/gyms (which are cut in half since the majority of them are found around our field).

In good news, I guess, I caught my first Ponyta yesterday.

Looks like Abra's flee rate is 99%. Someone said they don't flee after the first ball any more than other pokemon but I guess this isn't true. Oddly evolved pokemon have lower flee rates than the unevolved ones.

Maybe because I've only seen/caught two abra, but I've had far more high CP pidgey flee on me. =p

(The parentheses mess up your link, btw.)

99% seems ridiculous. Are we sure that's not a typo for 9% or something?

Well in almost every game it is a pokemon known to immediately teleport away from battle, so it sounds probable to me.

i guess im kinda lucky i caught some abras huh

tbh im just not gonna play go anymore until they fix the 3 step bug and maybe make some quality of life changes for suburban players because... jesus... if i want pokeballs i just have to pay for them. the game just kinda stopped being fun for me pretty quickly, its just a grind.

Edited by Switch

Be lucky it's not 100%. Players of Fire Red and Leaf Green, not to mention all Johto games and the original Kanto games, can tell you the things ALWAYS teleport out of battle on their first turn unless you catch, KO, or Mean Look them. So yeah, not suprised.

My sis is going a wee bit stir crazy because her tablet doesn't like Go and Dad is in Calgary with his phone. She really wants to play Go, alright...

I don't really get the huge fuss on release. I'd rather wait till the game is less buggy. Glitchy games frustrte me... and, well... let's just say I have anger problems... Plys glitches make a game no fun.

Edited by Dusky_Flareon