Charity322

How many eggs do you pick up of a new breed?

Releases are permanent, no need to complicate things by putting an unnecessary limit on newly released dragons.

People catching a lot of new eggs are doing the same work you are, they're just getting luckier. They're allowed to collect a lot of dragons. If they weren't, we'd have limits on how many of each breed you can collect. But we don't because DC is a free-for-all, where everything is available (even if some things are breed-only), and it's up to you to catch what you want or trade for what you want.

Having a slow internet connection does give you a disadvantage.

And I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to collect a lot of dragons. The limit at the start idea was really just borne of frustration and a wish that faster people didn't always get the stuff. And I did say at the start, not permanently.

My main worry is that a new release will turn out to be a rare after the initial drop. Considering the pain involved in getting CB Golds I really don't want to go through that again. And I never have anything to trade that other people want; everyone wants 2nd gen prizes.

My main worry is that a new release will turn out to be a rare after the initial drop. Considering the pain involved in getting CB Golds I really don't want to go through that again. And I never have anything to trade that other people want; everyone wants 2nd gen prizes.

I've been offering cb aeons, xenos, and coppers for olive hatchies. I got a cb gold by offering to breed someone a few 2nd gen holiday mates - a cb gold I then traded for more olive hatchies. (Honestly, you can get some good bites offering olive hatchies this year, as people are looking to win a 2nd gen holly by collecting them.) Up anything to a hatchie, and you'll get bigger bites on it. A lot of people also offer trades if you can just fulfill some wishlist requests - which can involve things like fun cb codes, holiday mates, or other specific lineage mates that might take some work to build/fulfill but aren't as exclusive as a 2nd gen prize. Also, neglecteds are a great equalizer. If you spend some time experimenting and figuring out how to make them, you could have a fairly steady stream of them to offer on trade - and a ton of people are gonna wanna bite on that trade.

Plus, I've seen some cb fire gems being offered in the Departures thread - and there were a few in the Glittering Gold Giveaways raffle that just happened (forum games).

I doubt fire gems are going to be rare, though. I've seen enough recently drop. They might be uncommon, but I do not think they'll be as hard as golds to get.

I 100% get why limits have been suggested for new releases several times, but I just think it unnecessarily complicates things to have a temporary limit. And what if a released dragon is super common but can't get picked up due to having limits and not enough people to grab them, so the cave just gets backed up and they end up flooding for a longer time, which will frustrate people who want to be able to hunt other things in the cave? Changing the limit based on rarity is not something I would see happening if this was implemented because it would give away the rarity status really obviously, and I'm not sure that's something TJ wants to do, considering it's not something he speaks on a lot.

Not being lucky enough instantly is not a reason to begrudge others. There is already a limit in place that stops you from grabbing everything, while being generic enough to allow you to have your own personal playstyle. Some things just may need more time than others (like this release which seems to have been bugged a little in the beginning). *shrugs*

And I'm not saying that people shouldn't be allowed to collect a lot of dragons. The limit at the start idea was really just borne of frustration and a wish that faster people didn't always get the stuff. And I did say at the start, not permanently.

I do everything on mobile so I understand your frustrations up to a point.

You do have to take the good with bad however. While everyone wants to get 2nd gen things that are rare like prizes, there's the small group of us who'd rather give the eggs away to someone who will enjoy them much more without worrying about having to hunt for them.

CB golds are meant to be rare. My only two were gifted to me. I have never caught any myself. Regardless, it isn't feasible to compare every new release to catching a CB gold when some people cannot catch those at all. Most of my March releases were caught on mobile or I traded for them. If you can't catch yourself, you can always ask for help or trade things you can catch or breed for them. I don't have 2nd gen prizes to trade either. Limiting what others can catch will not necessarily improve your catching abilities.

A male/female pair as a base, and if I like the new dragon, a few pairs more. If a lot of dragons are released at once, though, I get a pair of my favourite first, then get one egg each for the other species.

My scroll goal is eight per breed/colour for things like the firegems (four of each gender) so I have enough to breed a few gens into a lineage if I need to in the future. I don't always try and grab them all immediately though, it depends on how they seem to be dropping/trading and how much I like them and what else I'm working on at the time.

Same here. As of now I only have one pair of each color of the Fire Gems + an extra of two of the colors and two pairs of one. Once I get two pairs of each color I will probably go on with breeding and collecting some other things and get the other two pairs as I go along. It would help if I didn't keep misclicking on other eggs and having to wait 5 hours to get that space open again. wink.gif

Edited by purplehaze

If I catch 2-3 males and females (so 4-6 in total) I'm pretty happy. I never think whether I "like" or "dislike" the dragon, because at some point I might find a lineage I want to start / continue and then I'll suddenly need the CBs.

And If I really, really fall in love with the dragon, there's plenty of time to collect more.

I want at least 4 CB adults of each dragon (2 males, 2 females) for breeding purposes. If the dragon comes in more than one colour, that's 4 CB adults of each colour. I also collect frozen hatchlings, but typically it's more convenient to breed them than get them CB, unless they're still fairly common a week or two later (as Tetras currently are). I focus on collecting adults in the initial drop, regardless.

Initially, I always grab two - a male and a female. If the breed has sprite variations, like Fire Gems, I pick out a pair of each type. I stock up on 5 pairs later on when I have time as I have scroll goals of 10 CBs per every breed of dragon, their variations included.

I grab two eggs initially for a breeding pair, and once the hype dies down I usually grab about 2-4 more eggs.

Adults: a dozen. 6 males/6 females. If the breed only has one gender or no gender then 12 of whatever they are.

Matured Hatchlings: 2 male/ 2 female. if one or none gender I freeze 2

Not-matured Hatchlings: 2 no matter what.

Exceptions: Red, Pink and Black dragons. Cause I always need more Reds and Pinks. A Black Dragon was my first so I have a soft spot for them and kept tons of them.

If I don't care for the sprites, zero. If I do, like for the latest release, 4 pairs of each color. Guess I'm not the only one since today, ten days after the release, there are 50+ people hunting in the Volcano. I hope this topic is not going to become "you greedy one", there is no "greed" on DC. By the way, maybe people didn't notice but a lot of new release CBs were caught and abandoned. That does not sound like greed, sounds like "may I help?".

Believe me this complaint has come and gone so many countless times in this game that people don't even want to comment on it anymore. Why?

1) DC as far as "hunting" goes is a game built on giving advantage to people with fast connection and/or fast PC and/or fast reflex. Fast connection is the major factor here. To put into perspective, some people have connections here (including people I know) that have speeds in Gigs, not even several hundred MBs. Needless to say, they can catch a cb metal faster than say.. a person with 20MBps person can even load despite fast PC and fast reflex. Which is why a lot of people never see CB golds in cave, but when you see people trading them you know they are dropping somewhere. Then not to mention a lot of people don't have 20MBps, they don't even have 1 MBps because they are playing on mobile or maybe playing from remote locations with poor net connectivity. Over time, every single suggestion to do something about this has been shot down or simply not commented on, which leads me to believe this is the fundamental setup of game and isn't about to change.

So you can't catch CBs yourself.. what else do you do? I am into my 9th year of playing DC and none of the CB golds I have so far were caught by me. Is trading easy? No. I have persisted and persisted, and you'd be lucky if you somehow manage to score a trade of 1 CB gold per year. Point is many people have invested too much into the game to quit now or found other enjoyable things to do like lineages and giveaways, but the primary setup of game has never been to "distribute equally". As such, when game itself is broken (or designed that way), it's not fair to call anyone out for playing by the rules. Sure, I can't catch cb golds but can I complain about the person who catches them everyday? Even if it upsets me, I don't, because they are not doing anything wrong. Point is, members are not to be blamed and are not to be expected to "play certain way" to accommodate other users. This is the admin's job to make game enjoyable for everyone.

Lastly, an important thing to remember is that breeds get old and people get tired of them. Except CB golds and silvers, no one breeds will remain consistently hard to obtain. Their trade value becomes quite poor over time as well. Many people throw away rare eggs cheap for a cb hatchling or two because they need more egg space. Heck, in all my years of playing, it is the first time I am witnessing that cb silvers despite being metals are fetching quite poor price in trades. I traded my last cb silver for 8 cb hatchies. So at this point of time, I can't point to a single breed that you can't obtain through trading with little bit of effort except CB gold.

Edited by Amaterasu-sama

Dont get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone (and yes I realise it could have sounded like that). I really was curious about how many of each dragon people caught, because I was surprised how long the Volcano had been 50-80 people waiting for.

Because I was also frustrated by my lack of ability to catch a thing I was also wondering if catching new eggs could be made easier, but I was not meaning to imply that people were being greedy.

Turns out a few people actually offered me eggs, which I'm very grateful for, so definitely anything sounding like I was blaming people was unintentional, as people on this forum have always been nice.

Oh and I do agree, if I could work out the magic formula for making Neglected dragons then my ability to get CB Golds would be assured. xd.png But every time I think about it I think about my poor starving, unloved egg or hatchling and I just can't go through with it. I lack Zombie dragons for the same reason. xd.png

Entirely apart from my whining, it has been interesting to see what people like to get of new releases and for what purposes. I like to try and get 2 males and 2 females of each breed if I can (and I have managed it eventually, except for ones like the Xenowyrms and Gold and Silver, of course).

The strange thing is that the Tetras were absurdly easy to catch. Are dragons easier to catch when they're in multiple biomes?

The strange thing is that the Tetras were absurdly easy to catch. Are dragons easier to catch when they're in multiple biomes?

In a way yes, but what also made them easy to catch was that they were so incredibly common. Now, focusing back in the fire gem dragons, there's ​three multiple colours all in the volcano only. Like the gemshards (going off what people said) they were driven to the point where they were rare for a while do to the fact they hatched into multiple colours. The eggs themselves had one colour so getting the colours you actually needed was a bit hard and unpredictable (I think)

Dont get me wrong, I'm not blaming anyone (and yes I realise it could have sounded like that).

As far as my post goes, don't worry about it! I didn't take it that way at all and I wasn't pointing to you specifically (not at all actually). laugh.gif I was just making a general observation that the right call to make is to address the issues in the game itself instead of focusing on members who can't really resolve this issue. It is very normal to wonder why the game is so unequal for various members, but that is a discussion for another thread. Personally, I haven't made a single ND to date, I tried a few times but found that the process is way too tedious to be appealing. But yes, if one can master them they are definitely worth a lot and never go down in value.

I think this release has been strange so I wouldn't say things are usually so crazy. Normally, you can go in and fill your scroll in 5minutes after the first couple of hours of release frenzy dies down. But these guys had very abrupt drops in beginning, that in turn pushed people to grab even more of them in fear that they might become rare. I think in a month or two, the fever should die down. In case of tetras, the competition died down almost immediately after they started dropping normally because people were able to get their fill.

A really big number, but that's over time, over months.

But I want to make sure that 'my' catchers get what I promised them for each release, within the first few days of the release.

That way they are always happy to catch and breed for me over the year, as I have extreme scroll goals (breed wise and code wise).

My goal is two breeding pairs of all dragon types (or the limits in the case of most holidays). With tetra, that means four dragons, two male and two female. With the fire gem, that means twelve dragons. If I happen to be nuts about a sprite I will collect more but that is my minimum. smile.gif

I'm still working on collecting the fire gems. Their release is clashing with my desire for all the low time CB guardians in the AP. xd.png

Edited by ytak

Right now, I'm only interested in collecting one of each gender, so six Fire Gems. I need to focus on catching other dragons I don't have yet.

One of each gender. Then i breed for hatchies to freeze.

I might pick up an extra pair or two for the following reasons:

1. I like the adult sprite

2. it has a useful BSA

I grab 5 cbs. 1 adult male and female pair. 1 frozen hatchie male and female pair. 1 ungendered frozen hatchie. 

This includes alts. 

Hybrids and bred alts must be 2g and/or purebred for the bred alts.

I can understand the frustration about some levels of rarity. It took me 10 years of playing to catch a CB Silver, and in ten years I've never seen a CB Gold in the cave. I bought mine in the Market after almost 2 years of saving shards. It also can be frustrating that if you miss the first drops of a new dragon on the release weekend, you'll never see them in the cave again. In some ways, the game was much easier to play back in the early years when there were less dragon species.

That said, each person plays their own way. I used to be a sprite collector, but a few years ago realized trying to get every single dragon sprite was literally ruining my life. Now, I only collect eggs of the dragons whose design I really like.

Regarding the new release question - if its an amazing design or a Halloween species I'll grab 5-8 eggs right away, enough for a few adults and some hatchies for freezing (especially Halloweens). Sometimes I'll trade the extras. For the regular releases, I only try to get a couple eggs so I can have adults and breed from them. I would estimate that with my more relaxed approach to collecting, I only really bother to catch maybe 40% of species released now. I tend to favor the older dragon designs in general, but some of the new ones are also beautiful.

With new releases I usually get 1 or 2 per breed to start with, and then wait to see TJ's hatchlings and if they look really awesome I might grab another 1 or 2. Rarity and variants are also factors, if it's obvious the breed will have multiple variants (like so many recently) I'll get a few more at the start so I might possibly have 1 of each variant. My actual scroll-goals are 20 of each breed/variant, but I don't need many CBs so I usually just want a 'starter set' during new releases. (And sometimes that backfires, I have a couple 2019-new-release breeds that I still only have a few of...)