maylin

Remove sickness from New Releases

I am absolutely sure that the eggs that died from viewbombing on my scroll were placed somewhere besides the DC fansites. For one thing, I checked to try to remove them and they weren't even on all of them! For another, there is no way one could get 3000+ views in less than two hours by using fansites. So Fuzz is right that it requires some action beyond just changing the fansites. There has to be some fundamental change in the mechanics of sickness.

The thing about logging in to fansites is there are ways to troll someone that doesn't involve viewbombing level and DO involve unauthorized access to fansites. These methods could be very much hindered if people could create logins for all the fansites and prevent unauthorized access.

I've had people remove my scroll from the fansites I use, or put eggs that I'm trading and so don't want them to have any views in fansites. It's not at the same level as viewbombing, and they don't affect me much because I tend to look at my scroll and fansites often. But the removing your scroll tactic could be deadly for someone who just dumps their eggs in a fansite and doesn't check them for two weeks. They're expecting that fansite to take care of their eggs, and instead their eggs aren't in anything. Adding an egg you're trading to fansites can be very aggravating if you're trying to keep it low views to control when it hatches, and you can't hide it to prevent such actions when the egg is in teleport.

The ability to set up logins for the fansites would entirely prevent people from removing your scroll. It would make the adding your eggs places troll more difficult, as the person would have to find a non-fansite way to give your eggs views, rather than the very low trouble method of popping them in a few fansites. This means that it would only be the more determined people who would continue that troll.

The only way currently to prevent either troll is to hide your scroll, and if you use fansites that can be a real pain to do. (and hiding isn't good enough if you're trading, since someone could use the egg code to add it to a site like Silvi's) It also is a shame for people who want people to be able to look at their scroll to be forced to hide it to avoid harassment.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

snip

I like the idea of a threshold, so it doesn't completely interfere with gameplay.

Sticking things in high traffic forums can do the trick. I occasionally stick my growing things on Chicken Smoothie in my signature and I usually end up having to hide them because they do get so many views in a short time.

Loging in to fansites won't help in anything... viewbombing is impossible via using DC hatcheries only, it requires usage of other much more crowded places... Our hatcheries are simply incapable of providing so many views in such a schort amount of time even if used literally ALL at a time.

What Pokemonfan said about things being removed from hatcheries is not true, there are ER hatcheries that don't require loging in and from which things can't be removed once added - I'd advise you to use these if you have an issue of having things removed and problem will be solved without interfering with other people's gameplays.

E.g. at least some players rely on scrollsittig (at least occassionally) which would be made impossible if loging in to add to hatcheries was required.

and if I had to login to offsite sites just to be able to play DC I think I'd rather not play at all... (my browser automatically logs out upon getting shut for general security reasons, loging in to several sites every single time is too much bother to me)

Simply remove death of sickness and literally ALL problems surrounding views are solved...

The problem is, I need to be able to remove my own things. I'm not just hatching things, I'm giving them precise doses of views so I can hatch them so they will still be s1s when they die as fogged hatchlings.

And I'm not sure what about what I said was "not true"? I have personally had my dragons removed from AOND. So unless AOND has a glitch that randomly boots scrolls, trolls DO use that tactic.

And the suggestion to add logins to hatcheries is suggested as an optional thing. You tell the hatchery that you want a password attached to your scroll name so that only you can use it. And you already need to enter your scroll name to use the hatchery, how is it that much more difficult to type in a simple password? They wouldn't need to be high security 10 characters with numbers and special characters and capital letters type passwords.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

But I think there are hatchieres that require loging in already? (not sure as I never use these) Maybe you should stick to these then?

Um, the s1 you can hide - hiding prevents views after all, and no matter if you remove it from a hatchery or fogg it still requires action from you either way... Since you're intending them to die, fogging is best and is the only way you cna be sure the hatchlngs wont' get even 1 more view.

As a sidenote, at how many views hatchlings actually die at s1 instead of genderign under the fog? (I could never do that)

Still, no matter what is done, as long as there's death of overview, there will always be the problem of viewbombing.

I don't think it's possible to stop people from being people, or jerks from being jerks. However, it should be possible to stop them from causing great harm to any player. And, right now, the worst thing someone can do to us is viewbomb fresh eggs to death.

We have a lot of "tools" that allow us to keep our eggs safe - hiding our scroll and fogging. And, of course, hiding one's scroll isn't a failsafe measure anyway, all it takes is for someone to know the code of the egg in question. And there's still the problem of eggs in teleports getting view-bombed. Eggs that cannot be fogged, nor protected any other way. And that's the one thing we need to have taken care of by a change in game mechanics. We need a way to protect eggs in teleport.

And, for convenience's sake, a multi-fog option would be great, too.

I agree that viewbombing will always be a problem as long as sickness exists. I'm just pointing out that there are ways that trolls can troll that don't involve using sickness to kill the eggs. They may not be as devastating, but they can be just as annoying if used persistently over time. Adding a password system to hatcheries would make those kinds of trolling impossible for one aspect and take much more energy for another aspect.

And I'm sending you a PM about how to make fogged s1s since that's a bit off topic.

Edited by Pokemonfan13

But I think there are hatchieres that require loging in already? (not sure as I never use these) Maybe you should stick to these then?

Still, no matter what is done, as long as there's death of overview, there will always be the problem of viewbombing.

Even sticking to ones that need logging in (I'm not aware of any myself, but I don't use ones where you have to register) does not prevent viewbombing. And I have had all my stuff removed from multiple hatcheries in my time - including AOND.

But I would still not support removing sickness from overviewing unless there were some other mechanic so that you did still need to look after your stuff. I would like to see a mechanic that meant eggs in teleport were protected - but even that could be abused...

There are a lot of hatcheries that already require log-in info, but I would be very annoyed if every hatchery started doing so. And really, I see no way to"make" all hatcheries have a log-in "option". The hatcheries aren't an official part of DC, after all.

I do think we need, specifically, a way to protect eggs/hatchlings that are in teleport. If *anything* comes out of this thread, that should be it, because that is a real and long-going problem.

I still do not support doing away with sickness completely.

What if we give teleport the same effect as fogging, i.e. the egg cannot receive views or clicks while in teleport. But it would not have the fog cloud graphic, so it could still be viewed, and obviously it would need to have the trade actions allowed. That seems feasible to me and it would solve one part of the problem.

Agreed. Being in teleport preventing views would be a perfect solution. Eggs people have up for trade or are waiting for a transfer do not need to gain views. I personally can't think of a situation like that where gaining views would be anything but a problem.

Or, I just remembered that Neglected making involves teleports to give a newly turned egg more time to hatch. Having to put the egg in teleport and send the transfer link after it turns would make a tricky process even trickier... Maybe make an exception for any egg under 1 day left? It wouldn't -just- be for ND reasons. It would also be so that someone who forgot about their egg in teleport can be rescued by it being in a hatchery or someone adding it to one. (The API would have to not tell hatcheries the egg is ER until it can actually gain views, otherwise the hatchery would have it in their ER for no reason for quite a while)

Edited by Pokemonfan13

I'd support this. Actually I support sickness just generally not being a thing anymore (because...why did it ever exist in the first place?), but that'll probably never happen.

I still insist the only truly good sollution to ALL these problems would be to replace the death of overview with some other penalty that any troll couldn't possibly use against another player to the extend of having another player loose a dragon like it is now. Like timer stopping for the duration of the sickness.

The mechanics of death of overvew serves noone and nothing but trolls having a possibility to interfere with your stuff to the point of making you loose your critter.

- All hatcheires requiring to login won't solve anything, viewbombers use non-DC sites anyway (probably including the click-farming website I dicovered while plaing Tales of Ostlea - yarolds)

- And if sickness healing or previewing BSAs, actions or potions won't solve anything - if one doesn't Fog, one won't use the BSA/saction/potion; if one is offline and can't Fog sth that got sick while thieir living-their-life they also won't be able to use a healing thing for the same reason they can't fog in time.

- Things that die of viewbombing are not limited to things in trades. Trolls gonna troll if they have means to, even if they switch just to random victims like by stalking the biomes and viewbombing whatever gets picked up form the biomes or even AP. Protecting just the stuff in trades won't stop them.

Also the death of overwiews mechanics doesn't really add a challenge or anyting for a careless player - it usually requires much more than a few DC hatcheries to actually kill an egg... Death of underview is a thing here actually and works very well against neglectful players. Also such players who still have problems with adding too soon and to too many sites probably don't loose valuable eggs 99,99% of the cases? I just don't really believe they'd be skileld enough to grab a proper rare if they haven't understood how to hatch eggs yet, considering how difficult it is to snatch a rare here. Also this penalty the way it was indended to work works probably just up to a few times per user and just for the newbies who normally woudl loose some commons... Not worth it, especially considering the vast majoirty of cases death of overview seems to occur.

So, enough said - with the death of overwiev mechanics there will always be problems with trolling to the extend of the victim loosing a dragon.

Edited by VixenDra

Truthfully, I don't see much sense in this, because it's not so hard to just fog your eggs. That's what I do with new release eggies freshly caught. I honestly have never had any problems with viewbombers.

I guess this is a valid request, but I just can't see how it makes sense to add such a feature, when there's already a way to keep your growing dragons from receiving stats. Viewbombers suck, but there's nothing we can do about them - except hide our eggs till they're old enough to not get sick.

I've never had any dragon die from sickness. I just hide them if they do get sick. But it's extremely rare, and usually my fault because I absentmindedly add them to too many hatcheries. To tell the truth, I like the fact that dragons can get sick, because in my opinion it's a nice realistic factor to the game. I also appreciate the fact that eggs can die too. I know I sound horrible, but I really like realistic elements. It just seems neat, to me. Yeah, sure, it can be annoying, having to worry about a sick egg, hide it, heal it, them help it grow up again, but if you're that worried about your eggs/hatchlings getting sick, and don't have time to tend to that type of thing then just add them to one hatchery. They can't die from one click site. Aaaand now I'm getting off topic. tongue.gif

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion.

Edited by WaterDroplet

Truthfully, I don't see much sense in this, because it's not so hard to just fog your eggs. That's what I do with new release eggies freshly caught. I honestly have never had any problems with viewbombers.

I guess this is a valid request, but I just can't see how it makes sense to add such a feature, when there's already a way to keep your growing dragons from receiving stats. Viewbombers suck, but there's nothing we can do about them - except hide our eggs till they're old enough to not get sick.

I've never had any dragon die from sickness. I just hide them if they do get sick. But it's extremely rare, and usually my fault because I absentmindedly add them to too many hatcheries. To tell the truth, I like the fact that dragons can get sick, because in my opinion it's a nice realistic factor to the game. I also appreciate the fact that eggs can die too. I know I sound horrible, but I really like realistic elements. It just seems neat, to me. Yeah, sure, it can be annoying, having to worry about a sick egg, hide it, heal it, them help it grow up again, but if you're that worried about your eggs/hatchlings getting sick, and don't have time to tend to that type of thing then just add them to one hatchery. They can't die from one click site. Aaaand now I'm getting off topic. tongue.gif

Anyway, that's just my humble opinion.

It's my opinion too smile.gif