irrelevantindigo

♡ The Mental Health Thread ♡

Mental Health Thread

Welcome all!

We didn't have a topic like this yet, so I've made one.

Are you a lil stressed and not sure what to do? Or are struggling with mental illness? Starting a new medication/therapy and are nervous? Here's the thread for that.

Have you read a book or watched a YouTube video or done a particular activity that's made a difference for you? Here is also the thread for that.

Have you recently overcome something you though you never could? Or made a small step in the right direction? Here's the thread to celebrate in.

Are you looking for somewhere to talk about your experiences with mental health? Or you have some questions answered? This is the place.

If you're looking for support and reassurance for things having to do with mental health, look no further!

However, I'm going to quote Sock's wonderful explanation from the Emotional Support Thread as it also applies here:

Please note that we are not trained and cannot give professional or medical support. If you need serious help, we recommend seeking professional help and ask you to refrain posting about such topics here. Such topics are very sensitive and do not belong on here; they include, but may not be limited to, dealing with: self-harm/self-injury, suicidal thoughts/urges, or eating disorders. Please get some professional help with these topics if you struggle from one or more of them. There are helplines and forums meant for dealing with these topics if you're not ready to talk about it face to face with anyone yet. But for your safety and the safety of our users, we must ask you to not ask for help regarding those sensitive subjects here on this forum or in this topic. You may post a general ask for help via PM (ie, "Having trouble with urges to self-harm, could I please get a PM?"). You may not announce you're about to do a sensitive action or go into detail about doing so (ie, "I'm going to go cut myself").

This is a support thread, not a vent thread or an alternative to professional help. This is also not a thread to debate mental illness or tear down / belittle other people in.

Also please do not recommend other users medications or give dietary suggestions.

Warns can be given out for this sort of behavior. So don't do that, let's keep this thread a safe space.

Other Threads

General Emotional Support and Advice

Sexuality and Gender IdentityMore Specific Threads

(If you have an addition to the 'Other Threads' list, comment below or PM me!)

Edited by irrelevantindigo

Resources by Recommendation

Feel free to recommend something (posts, websites, videos, books, etc.) you find helpful!

If you know something in your recommendation could be triggering to some people, please mention that when recommending it.

Edited by irrelevantindigo

It feels weird to be the only one posting on this thread so far but I guess I need to give it time lol

Does anyone have any experience with insomnia being a side effect of their medication?

I've always had no trouble getting to sleep but now I consistently wake up around 2am and am wired. It's only been a few days since I started them, but the lack of sleep is really getting to me and I'm starting to get a little desperate.

Rather than medication causing me insomnia, I have it when I don't take certain medications. I don't take something that is an actual sleep aid, rather it has the side effect to cause drowsiness and sleep. I wish I could help you out more but all I can really suggest is talking to your doctor again and explaining how you cannot sleep on the new medicines. They might give you an extra medicine to help you sleep like mine did with me, or take you off the new stuff.

It took more than a year for me to get the right medicine combo to have me feeling normal, so it's important to be patient and explain everything to your doctor. Mine apparently thought my anxiety was from PTSD rather than it being something I was born with even though I know I told her my whole mental health history, and wouldn't give me the anti-psychotic I needed. I swear she has ADD or ADHD.

yeah, I'll probably have to talk to my doctor again.

I just really don't want to have to add to my medication list but I will likely have to. >o>

yeah, I'll probably have to talk to my doctor again.

I just really don't want to have to add to my medication list but I will likely have to. >o>

I know the feeling about having too many medicines, I have to take 8 every night. Be sure you do some studying and make sure the medicines can be taken together, sometimes doctors make mistakes like that.

This is a sweet lil' thread, and I figured I might be better off posting my issues here than I am in the Emotional Support Thread. I'm by far not poorly off by any means, but it's enough to knock me down for a day or two :u

Kay so I'm nearly twenty years old, high functioning autistic who was, last year, diagnosed with clinical depression. I suspect that kicked in about two years ago when some incredibly turbulent things began happening in the family... I don't want to impart any details, as it's still rather ongoing.

Depression is manageable. But I struggle with a mild PTSD from the aforementioned turbulent things. It's been months since any major incident, but I still have nightmares, still have intrusive thoughts/reminders that make me cry, still get scared by situations and sounds and have to fight the urge to go find out what it is, have dietary issues from it compounded by my autism thing, and worst of all I have an immense aversion to anything that echoes what I've seen. Whited out for triggers.

These are suicide, self-harm, self-loathing, anorexia and 'social standards'

I have witnessed all of these, things I've seen two people very close to me go through.

Because of my aversion, I'm not there to help people who need it because I just... can't. Instead I ignore it, turn away, and pretend I never saw it. Certain visual cues leave me feeling 'off' and I figure people catch onto that. So I hurt others who don't need it and it's just?? Bad? Sometimes I just want to leave society and exist as a hermit, away from all this censorkip.gif. Most people, I think, don't even realise, as I tend to put up a cheerful facade - I hate seeing upset people.

Um so this is turning into a rant and this ain't the thread for that, so... Basically, if anyone has trouble with depression and/or PTSD, I can empathise. I'm no good at imparting advice, though :'3