TJ09

2017-03-19 - March Dragon Release

It is considered art theft to edit someone's work without their permission, no matter if you give them the credit. This is a general rule of all art forms. As such, I will be removing your sprites. You can describe your critique in words or PM the spriter to ask them if you can show what you mean. =)

Fair enough, fair enough.

Which spriter should I contact, specifically...? As I said, I'm very new to this forum, and I'm still trying to figure out the ropes.

And would you please remove the correlation of art theft to me in your post? I understand now that it's taboo to make comparisons in such a way, but that was not my intention nor purpose on this forum, nor what I actively engaged in. sad.gif You make it out to be like I purposefully lifted and used the sprite of the Blue for my own nefarious purposes, when this is not what happened in any sense.

Edited by TheGeneraless

Hey as much as I like the new fire gems, I'm not liking the way they are coloured. Its too "poppy" what I mean by that is well their shading too extreme, good for being artistic but not good for a small dragon sprite. They aren't easy on the eyes and can be hard to make out and its sad because they are nicely detailed but the shading ruins that.

I much prefer the males over the females because their pose is more fluid and in my opinion, much easier to make out the details while still being easier on my eyes.

They have a nice artistic concept (storing energy in the tail) but sadly have a generic description.

Please calm down, it's ridiculous to already get up in arms the split second I post a comment about my thoughts on the sprite.

I am not saying it's official. I'm not saying it's suddenly ~the sprite~. I'm displaying what I thought it was going to be, not claiming that this is the proper sprite or posting it up claiming that it's my art. Like honestly, you're acting like I replaced the sprite in DC, claimed that this was my sprite and basically used artwork without permission.

I am making a comment about how I wish it had looked. I displayed my thoughts on this via an edited sprite, which I said was an edited sprite of the original and did not claim as my own. You likely misunderstood my intentions; as a spriter, I know that people stealing and editing sprites is VERY common on places like this.

By bringing to light the issues I saw on the sprite, I'm not inviting an attack on myself, nor claiming the art as my own. Please, gods, chill out. I only just got on the forums to post my opinion about something, and already I'm being kicked in the face for providing an example edit of what I wish the Fire Gems had been.

Honestly, I mean no harm. I'm not trying to get on people's bad sides. sad.gif

I literally just asked if you'd obtained permission to edit the sprite, but ok.

Hey as much as I like the new fire gems, I'm not liking the way they are coloured. Its too "poppy" what I mean by that is well their shading too extreme, good for being artistic but not good for a small dragon sprite. They aren't easy on the eyes and can be hard to make out and its sad because they are nicely detailed but the shading ruins that.

I much prefer the males over the females because their pose is more fluid and in my opinion, much easier to make out the details while still being easier on my eyes.

They have a nice artistic concept (storing energy in the tail) but sadly have a generic description.

Yeah, that's my thoughts on them in a nutshell. I wanted to love them, but their extreme and harsh shading/coloring makes it hard to even look at them.

I suppose I'm a fan of the vibrant colors of the fire gems, I feel it makes it easier to see certain details that wouldn't be there if the colors were darker and more muddy.

I personally adore how the fire gems are done. Hellfires have been my favorite breed ever since their release (hence why I have 100+ of them), and the fact that the Fire Gems have very similar scale shading makes me so so SO happy.

I'm not positive how I feel about the green male's wing, especially that... blobby area where all of his wing fingers connect. But I love the red male, and blue female.

I suppose I'm a fan of the vibrant colors of the fire gems, I feel it makes it easier to see certain details that wouldn't be there if the colors were darker and more muddy.

I suppose, everyone has a different taste but you can still be able to create a sprite with luscious amounts of detail with more blended shading.

You can see that with many dragons on DragonCave and Nexus dragons come to mind as I type this, I can stare at them and see some nice detail while not being overwhelmed.

Ah what I'm trying to say is you can still create a nice sprite with detail without extreme shading ha ha but as I said, everyone has a taste and this dragon just isn't for me

I don't want the coloring to be 'darker' or 'muddy' either, I just want them to be less harshly shaded. If they were the lighter color all over instead of the darker color at their edges, that would be fine too.

My eyes just can't handle such extreme color contrasts very well.

Crap!!! I have been gone all week and a new release happens... My luck is supertastic right now, lol.

Could someone, pretty pretty please, tell me what the egg descriptions are, so I can go hunt down the same eggs everyone else is? I looked over the last 5 pages for them and have found nothing but stress.

OH AND ALSO:

Pretty sprites, by the way. biggrin.gif

Edited by purplenewt

While I agree the green male's wing is a bit... strange.... I love the stark contrast on the Gems. To me, it just looks like it "pops" more or something. They look more detailed, more focused, more... serious, I guess? I like it.

The Tetras, though. Seriously still can't stop staring at them.

Crap!!! I have been gone all week and a new release happens... My luck is supertastic right now, lol.

Could someone, pretty pretty please, tell me what the egg descriptions are, so I can go hunt down the same eggs everyone else is? I looked over the last 5 pages for them and have found nothing but stress.

OH AND ALSO:

Pretty sprites, by the way. biggrin.gif

'This egg has faint markings' --> dropping in the Coast and Jungle

'This rough egg has shimmering veins of crystal running across its surface' --> dropping in the Volcano.

I can't remember if the color thing is there or not in the cave, it might only appear when you get it on your scroll. Happy hunting!

I don't love the fire gems. The colors of the blue I kind of adore, but I've never been as into dragons with really defined scales like this, it reminds me of the plated colossus or stone dragons in that way, and I feel similarly about them for same reasons. The fire also looks a little off/unrealistic. However, I do love the color choices, I love the poses, and I think they're really nicely done sprites. Definitely a fun addition to my scroll. I solidly like them. And so many variations that are really cohesive!!! And I think the anatomy looks really good too. I won't go out of my way to collect them, but i definitely will pick them up now and then to have. I really like the eggs too. I love how saturated the colors are.

The tetras I was really bored with as eggs and hatches, I wasn't that excited. And at first glance, I felt the same. But then I read the meta bit of the spriters post and it really resonates wittt me. They do feel like a really polished, old school DCave Dragon. And they just fit in so well with other dragons! They look so natural. And the color choice is so different/unique and they're kinda rly cute. I really have taken a fondness to them and I wish I got more than one!

On the whole, a solid release. Not quite as solid as the last nonholiday release (all those sprites were stupid gorgeous like wow) but definitely a good addition and I'm so happy to have the new dragons!!!

Great work spriters and TJ, I think you all totally nailed it.

I suppose, everyone has a different taste but you can still be able to create a sprite with luscious amounts of detail with more blended shading.

You can see that with many dragons on DragonCave and Nexus dragons come to mind as I type this, I can stare at them and see some nice detail while not being overwhelmed.

Ah what I'm trying to say is you can still create a nice sprite with detail without extreme shading ha ha but as I said, everyone has a taste and this dragon just isn't for me

I have to agree, this is what I was trying to explain in my prior post before all the blah-dee-blah happened; the shading is simply so extreme that it makes it hard to really discern what it's supposed to look like, in some areas, and feels more like an old Pokemon sprite or a sprite from a 1990's dungeon crawler than a Dragon Cave sprite. Reminds me a lot of what DC sprites used to look like back when it was first getting started, actually--sprites from games.

Fire Gems aren't for me, either. I very much prefer nice contrast and well-formed lines rather than dark and light contrast to such an extreme. One of the reasons I adore Honey Drakes, actually.

Does anyone have the extra info on the dragons from spirters, if there was any? smile.gif I'd love to read up.

I have to agree, this is what I was trying to explain in my prior post before all the blah-dee-blah happened; the shading is simply so extreme that it makes it hard to really discern what it's supposed to look like, in some areas, and feels more like an old Pokemon sprite or a sprite from a 1990's dungeon crawler than a Dragon Cave sprite. Reminds me a lot of what DC sprites used to look like back when it was first getting started, actually--sprites from games.

Fire Gems aren't for me, either. I very much prefer nice contrast and well-formed lines rather than dark and light contrast to such an extreme. One of the reasons I adore Honey Drakes, actually.

I mean, they are gem dragons, and for the most part have a really strong light source in the form of their fire. That's why they have such high contrast.

user posted image

Fair enough, fair enough.

Which spriter should I contact, specifically...? As I said, I'm very new to this forum, and I'm still trying to figure out the ropes.

And would you please remove the correlation of art theft to me in your post? I understand now that it's taboo to make comparisons in such a way, but that was not my intention nor purpose on this forum, nor what I actively engaged in. sad.gif You make it out to be like I purposefully lifted and used the sprite of the Blue for my own nefarious purposes, when this is not what happened in any sense.

If you go to the bottom of a dragon's view page (you can click on the fire gem adults in the first post), there's an artist copyright. You can see the one you are critiquing was 100% done by Process. That is their forum username, so that's who you can contact. :3

A lot of instances of art theft are not purposeful - people legitimately don't think about art actually belonging to the person who creates it. That doesn't change the fact that it is art theft, malicious or not. But honestly? These news threads are so large and move so fast that no one is really even going to remember my post or yours in the long run.

Does anyone have the extra info on the dragons from spirters, if there was any? smile.gif I'd love to read up.

Tetra's by Cort: https://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showt...0entry9437586

Tetra Dragons Extra Info

Habitat: Tetra dragons live on the coasts and in the jungle, preferring more humid climates. They need habitats with easy access to hiding places.

Diet:  While Tetra dragons do eat some vegetation, the majority of their diet consists of fish and small rodents.  If a Tetra Dragon’s diet isn’t satisfactory for their needs, their colors will fade.

Mating:  Tetra dragons mate for life in the wild, though in captivity it is possible to to match them with multiple mates.

Wild Behavior: Tetra dragons have a poisonous bite that they use as a defense mechanism. In the wild, they are somewhat more independent than their tame counterparts.

Tame Behavior and keeping:  Tame Tetra dragons do not make affectionate companions. While they are very dependent on others of their own kind, they can be standoffish around humans.

Hatchling behavior: Hatchlings tend to be clingy and need constant companionship.  If you do not earn their trust they will be skittish around you.  Hatchlings are very active an often get themselves in trouble.

Magic: Tetra dragons breath fire but that is about the extent of their magical abilities.

Meta: The Tetra Dragon was a personal nostalgia project.  I wanted to create a dragon that I could imagine being released when I first joined.  The colors are based on neon tetra fish - my favorite fish from my aquarium growing up. Hope you enjoy them!

I'm not sure which of the fire gems I like more, probably the red ones with the blues as a close second.

I mean, they are gem dragons, and for the most part have a really strong light source in the form of their fire. That's why they have such high contrast.

user posted image

Hmm I see what your saying but it doesn't feel that way (Doesn't look that way either). Their fire is not showing on them (As lighting mind you).

That would at least explain their harsh shading, like being in a pitch black cave.

They have only one shade, even gems have different lighting and shading.

Sapphire dragons have vivid colours but is subtle enough to look nice while not be overwhelming like our Fire gem friends here.

Edited by Audra

I enjoy that not all the dragons look a like in the way of style and shading, not all gem based dragons need to be shaded the same way.

It's also possible the brightness/contrast of a person's screen can shift the colors and make them more painful to look at for some.

Thanks to the new release and the low-time AP I'm now scroll-locked with hatchies that won't grow up for almost two full days. I hate when this happens. Oh well, I need to concentrate on naming, anyways.

I have four Tetras, but I totally forgot to influence them. Keeping fingers crossed they gender into two pairs?

I enjoy that not all the dragons look a like in the way of style and shading, not all gem based dragons need to be shaded the same way.

It's also possible the brightness/contrast of a person's screen can shift the colors and make them more painful to look at for some.

I know, like I said we all have tastes and these guy just aren't mine. Mind you I'm keeping mine, the blue males are my fave and I hope to get one.

I merely used them as an example as bright dragons can have a variety of shading, Shimmer-Scales was my second choice.

Oh man, these Fire Gems are absolutely stunning. Probably among the best sprites in the cave in my opinion (though it seems that list is growing more and more lately). So I'm shocked at this feedback! I actually really really like the dark, high-contrast shading, it gives them a bold and intense look. The poses were all instantly readable to me and they seem to hold up fine in even lineage view, so no problems there (though those are just my eyes). While the shading is different from most of the dragons in-cave and they probably won't look good in lineages with the more matte dragons, we do have plenty of high-contrast dragons I think they'll look very nice with. My current top candidates are Embers, Magmas, male Moonstones, Galaxies, Almandines, Sapphires, and Spirit Wards. I also must say that I adore the wings on these fellows, the anatomy and the way the membrane stretches over the fingers is very appealing to me. The only thing I'd criticize is the description - the burning mechanism seems unrealistic to me (I know I know, it's a game), though I think I may have figured it out. As far as I know, minerals generally don't burn and I've never heard of one coloring a fire. But I do know that metal ions can color fire - so perhaps these minerals they're consuming contain elements that are separated from the source mineral by an enzyme, which then ends up in the fire sac (I've always imagined dragons producing fire by spitting from a sac that contains a highly-combustible fluid). So say a dragon consumes water from a pool with dissolved feldspar in it (can feldspar even dissolve...?), it's broken down within the body so free potassium ions are produced, and it obtains a purple flame. Perhaps I'm overthinking it, but I like scientific bases laugh.gif. But then there's also the issue of storing fire - I don't think there's any possible explanation for this, fire cannot be stored. The tail burning is expending energy and reactants, that's undeniable. Unless they somehow use their magic to contain the energy in a closed system, and can "transfer" the fire to their mouth? Or to reverse the combustion reaction as it occurs? Using the tail as a method of communication or signaling seems more realistic to me. BUT that said, the dragons are primarily their sprites and I still love them.

Also, I must say that the Tetra's little black feet are adorable!