TJ09

2017-03-19 - March Dragon Release

Yeah.. I know emotions always run high around a new release, but I'd like to encourage people to take care of their mental health

If the game and/or the forum is stressing ya out, it might be a good time to take a breather. Venting frustrations is a good way to let off steam, but if it starts causing you more stress to be in the conversation, just make sure you take care of yourselves, okay?

Yeah.. I know emotions always run high around a new release, but I'd like to encourage people to take care of their mental health

If the game and/or the forum is stressing ya out, it might be a good time to take a breather. Venting frustrations is a good way to let off steam, but if it starts causing you more stress to be in the conversation, just make sure you take care of yourselves, okay?

This ! <3 <3

As soon as TJ's grew up I read descriptions, I knew the Tetras were from neon's. I used to keep some of them in my 55gal community tank ^^

I admit it is odd that one would release, essentially, four very rare dragons at once? I haven't been here the last couple of years, but I thought it was unusual for new releases to slow down so dramatically, so early on?

I've been refreshing the jungle for quite a while, and no Tetras. If other people hadn't said that they've seen a few, I'd be wondering if any new eggs were still there.

I admit to being a little bit nervous. Usually I'm not worried since I recently got a much better internet connection. But I'll never forget the days of the coppers -- I really couldn't get any, I filled up on other eggs during their release, and for a couple of years I only have one CB pair, two greens...

I'd just prefer to have a chance of success. I think the odds might be a tiny bit too low right now. Hopefully they don't end up like the coppers -- though they're available to most people now, still, I'd rather avoid not being able to complete my CB sets for a couple of years. laugh.gif

We'll just have to see how the rarity unfolds further.

It would be nice if releases that have a dragon of multiple colors lasted longer than normal releases, if that could be done I would be happy

Edited by Cecona

I was lucky enough to snag my pairs shortly after they dropped, so I can't say that I feel the frustration of everyone who was unable to. ~Removed; I've already made a post on this, no need to add to my lecture~ We have these gorgeous new dragons and not everyone has been able to catch even one. Some might have gotten lucky, but it's pretty obvious that not everyone has had that experience.

Anyway. That's all I have to say about that. Thank you TJ and spriters for the two lovely new breeds! I'm really loving the female Fire Gem poses and the Tetra colors.

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

It would be nice if releases that have a dragon of multiple colors lasted longer than normal releases, if that could be done I would be happy

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I believe that has happened in the past where second waves were released, tho I don't remember what the circumstances were at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, anyone, but I believe that has happened in the past where second waves were released, tho I don't remember what the circumstances were at the time.

I'm not 100% sure on multiple waves during a release but I do know when the community was smaller and releases were longer people complained about there being too many eggs. I think it would be different now since there is almost 1000 people on the site at any given moment. a 12 hour release for normal eggs, 24 hours for dragons like fire gems and xenowyrms seems reasonable enough to me.

It did happen not all that long ago, but I can't remember which release it was.

Doesn't mean it will happen again, of course.

Heck, I would've taken a 12 hour release for these! These were mixing well before the 12-hour mark.

I feel the frustration, I really do. I tried so hard to get my eggs, and I wasn't even at home during the height of the release so I was working with a spotty internet. I thought I was doing well, so I gifted two eggs, and then I realized that they had gone rare and I couldn't get anymore. I tried, oh how I tried. Two wonderful people gifted me eggs, and that's the only reason I have two reds and two blues. Still only one green, but I'm fine with that for now.

I must say, though, I've gotten a few nice things from the AP while everyone has been in the Volcano!

HAHA OMG!!

This whole time I could not make out the green dragon's head because of the way it's drawn. After staring at it for another 20 mins I finally figured out where it's head it at. loool!!

wow... talk about confusing body contortions. The last time I had such a hard time was with that old greed pygmy. I still can't tell where it's head it at. lol....

Wonderful releases though. I LOOOOVE the blue one more than any others. once the hype is done I hope I can catch some more.

It did happen not all that long ago, but I can't remember which release it was.

Doesn't mean it will happen again, of course.

Very true.

And I do agree with you on that Cecona, a longer drop, especially when centered around one biome would solve so many problems.

I'm thankful for what I have, but it'd be nice to have a third if the pairings refused. *prays to the dragon lords that doesn't happen*

Regardless, I'm still going to breed free requests babies for those who can't catch any. biggrin.gif

So, I've been here since 2010, but only just recently joined the forums...kinda specifically for this post, and the new dragon release. I've seen all different kinds of dragons come and go, some designs flat-out amazing and others a little lackluster, but the most recent release of the Gems kinda...I dunno. Rubbed me the wrong way?

The spriters are all fantastic at their jobs, I've seen them with other dragon sprites that were outstanding to look at, and classics to the cave. So I have no doubt they put in a LOT of work for each of these sprites, especially considering there are--what, six different potential dragons from the eggs?

But I can't help but feel like the sprites are something that would fit better with, say, a game from the 1990's rather than 2017. It reminds me of really old dungeon bosses from the good ol' pixel games of the past, or the REALLY old Pokemon sprites: fairly monochromatic (blue, red, green), a little hard to discern due to the darkness/lightness contrast, and ever so slightly wonky in design. I'm not the only one that thinks this, either--I've seen a fairly even split in the DC site, half liking it, half hating it.

The dragon appears to be based off of boulder opals, at first glance. Gorgeous colors within a brown lace, splintering off into thickly rich colors and thin, speckled splotches. Which naturally fits perfectly with the description for the hatchlings, with their patches of bright scales between the brown lacing of the other scales.

I'm a spriter myself, though I haven't ever come out to request spriting for DC (though I would honestly love to) and while I'm no expert on dragon sprites, I decided to make a small example image of what I, personally, sorta expected.

~Removed~

Now, I dunno if these are temporary sprites, or if they're sticking around, but...I'm personally a little disappointed, after 7 years of being on DC, to see sprites that feel very lackluster. Now, this is definitely no mark on the spriters themselves--they've made some AMAZING work. I just feel as if it could be a little more...up to cave standards.

I love how happy the Tetras are, looking at them make me happy too

So, I've been here since 2010, but only just recently joined the forums...kinda specifically for this post, and the new dragon release. I've seen all different kinds of dragons come and go, some designs flat-out amazing and others a little lackluster, but the most recent release of the Gems kinda...I dunno. Rubbed me the wrong way?

The spriters are all fantastic at their jobs, I've seen them with other dragon sprites that were outstanding to look at, and classics to the cave. So I have no doubt they put in a LOT of work for each of these sprites, especially considering there are--what, six different potential dragons from the eggs?

But I can't help but feel like the sprites are something that would fit better with, say, a game from the 1990's rather than 2017. It reminds me of really old dungeon bosses from the good ol' pixel games of the past, or the REALLY old Pokemon sprites: fairly monochromatic (blue, red, green), a little hard to discern due to the darkness/lightness contrast, and ever so slightly wonky in design. I'm not the only one that thinks this, either--I've seen a fairly even split in the DC site, half liking it, half hating it.

The dragon appears to be based off of boulder opals, at first glance. Gorgeous colors within a brown lace, splintering off into thickly rich colors and thin, speckled splotches. Which naturally fits perfectly with the description for the hatchlings, with their patches of bright scales between the brown lacing of the other scales.

I'm a spriter myself, though I haven't ever come out to request spriting for DC (though I would honestly love to) and while I'm no expert on dragon sprites, I decided to make a small example image of what I, personally, sorta expected.

~Removed~

Now, I dunno if these are temporary sprites, or if they're sticking around, but...I'm personally a little disappointed, after 7 years of being on DC, to see sprites that feel very lackluster. Now, this is definitely no mark on the spriters themselves--they've made some AMAZING work. I just feel as if it could be a little more...up to cave standards.

Dude I 100% agree - I feel kind of disappointed, they could have been so much more! Not to mention the species description for the Fire Gems is also very boring and meh... it just screams "Hey I'm generic!"

Plus, that altered design is very smooth and streamlined, which is very nice sweetness for my eyes yesssss; nice work, man!

Anyone hunting in the cave right now? Have you seen any gem eggs? I haven't seen any in past half hour.

Haven't seen squat. No tetras either.

Anyone hunting in the cave right now? Have you seen any gem eggs? I haven't seen any in past half hour.

I've been hunting for an hour and a half, in the jungle. Not even a Tetra, which I thought would be more common than Fire Gems. Guess I was wrong there. tongue.gif

~Removed~

Did you obtain the spriter's permission to edit their artwork?

My understanding from their initial drop is that tetra should be dropping more. Which is why I find this highly unstable drop rate really weird, I don't think it's normal.

Me either on any of the new eggs.

Me either. I hope TJ tweaks it soon. It all seems very out of kilter.

me neither! I hunted the volcano so much that I saw a freaking gold in the morning yet not even one fire gem...Hope it could drop for more sad.gif really hoping to get a pair of each

Ugh wait, just saw one...(didn't get it though....too sad)

Edited by IOU

Did you obtain the spriter's permission to edit their artwork?

Please calm down, it's ridiculous to already get up in arms the split second I post a comment about my thoughts on the sprite.

I am not saying it's official. I'm not saying it's suddenly ~the sprite~. I'm displaying what I thought it was going to be, not claiming that this is the proper sprite or posting it up claiming that it's my art. Like honestly, you're acting like I replaced the sprite in DC, claimed that this was my sprite and basically used artwork without permission.

I am making a comment about how I wish it had looked. I displayed my thoughts on this via an edited sprite, which I said was an edited sprite of the original and did not claim as my own. You likely misunderstood my intentions; as a spriter, I know that people stealing and editing sprites is VERY common on places like this.

By bringing to light the issues I saw on the sprite, I'm not inviting an attack on myself, nor claiming the art as my own. Please, gods, chill out. I only just got on the forums to post my opinion about something, and already I'm being kicked in the face for providing an example edit of what I wish the Fire Gems had been.

Honestly, I mean no harm. I'm not trying to get on people's bad sides. sad.gif

Edited by TheGeneraless

Please calm down, it's ridiculous to already get up in arms the split second I post a comment about my thoughts on the sprite.

I am not saying it's official. I'm not saying it's suddenly ~the sprite~. I'm displaying what I thought it was going to be, not claiming that this is the proper sprite or posting it up claiming that it's my art. Like honestly, you're acting like I replaced the sprite in DC, claimed that this was my sprite and basically used artwork without permission.

I am making a comment about how I wish it had looked. I displayed my thoughts on this via an edited sprite, which I said was an edited sprite of the original and did not claim as my own. You likely misunderstood my intentions; as a spriter, I know that people stealing and editing sprites is VERY common on places like this.

By bringing to light the issues I saw on the sprite, I'm not inviting an attack on myself, nor claiming the art as my own. Please, gods, chill out. I only just got on the forums to post my opinion about something, and already I'm being kicked in the face for providing an example edit of what I wish the Fire Gems had been.

It is considered art theft to edit someone's work without their permission, no matter if you give them the credit. This is a general rule of all art forms. As such, I will be removing your sprites. You can describe your critique in words or PM the spriter to ask them if you can show what you mean. =)