TJ09

2017-03-19 - March Dragon Release

I have 3 tetras, a pair of green and of red fire gems but only one blue. Anyone know what colour they are now?

I keep looking, but I only BARELY see that other leg. It kind of blends in with the wing.

It's still hard for me to see the leg too. That's not my main problem, tho. I don't like the neck. It looks like it was flat, hard and strong, but flat; like you were folding a sheet of steel (that's the feeling I get), instead of it being round, like a neck.

Otherwise, I think every dragon in this release is gorgeous!

Congrats to the spriters ^^

Everyone is all critiquing the greens...and they are my faves? The artist for sure spent more time on them because the heads are GORGEOUS and the color shade.

You people need to remember that a HUMAN (or humans) sprited/arted these. Therefore they have a high chance to not be perfect. If YOU want 'perfect' dragons then get you to the dragon suggestions and start spriting!

Hey, the greens are my favourites, too, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them! thumbs_up.png

But I absolutely adore the laughing Bluminae, uh, Tetrae. Even as adults they're still super cute. wub.gif

Well done, spriters, thank you!

ETA: Ooohh, and a Mint wall!

Edited by walkinslow

I absolutely love the Tetras. A very nice "simple" contrast to the very flamboyant Fire Gems. Very well done and some unique coloring too. Not to mention I've adored the hatchies since the beginning.

I like the Fire Gems' unusual black shading. I think it's quite a nice style to have added to DC. We need some variance like that, sometimes. And they're all unique poses!

It'll be interesting actually putting effort towards hunting for these, too. I really like this release.

Can't wait to hoard both breeds. laugh.gif

Tetras and Fire Gems are now some of my favorite breeds! smile.gif

Thanks to the spriters and TJ for these awesome dragons!

I hope the next release will have some new Drakes, Pygmies, Two-heads, even Unbreedables unsure.gif it's been a while

Tetra Dragons Extra Info

Habitat: Tetra dragons live on the coasts and in the jungle, preferring more humid climates. They need habitats with easy access to hiding places.

Diet:  While Tetra dragons do eat some vegetation, the majority of their diet consists of fish and small rodents.  If a Tetra Dragon’s diet isn’t satisfactory for their needs, their colors will fade.

Mating:  Tetra dragons mate for life in the wild, though in captivity it is possible to to match them with multiple mates.

Wild Behavior: Tetra dragons have a poisonous bite that they use as a defense mechanism. In the wild, they are somewhat more independent than their tame counterparts.

Tame Behavior and keeping:  Tame Tetra dragons do not make affectionate companions. While they are very dependent on others of their own kind, they can be standoffish around humans.

Hatchling behavior: Hatchlings tend to be clingy and need constant companionship.  If you do not earn their trust they will be skittish around you.  Hatchlings are very active an often get themselves in trouble.

Magic: Tetra dragons breath fire but that is about the extent of their magical abilities.

Meta: The Tetra Dragon was a personal nostalgia project.  I wanted to create a dragon that I could imagine being released when I first joined.  The colors are based on neon tetra fish - my favorite fish from my aquarium growing up. Hope you enjoy them!

Yay info!

Thanks Corteo!

And thanks to all the sprites who made these lovely dragons and thank you TJ for the release!

I missed the release and haven't so much as seen these drop at all in the cave today. What is their current drop rate?

<snip>

Yay info!

Thanks Corteo!

And thanks to all the sprites who made these lovely dragons and thank you TJ for the release!

Oooh, I hadn't seen that yet! Thank you for bumping this.

ETA: Huh, but I wouldn't mind getting some more of those pretty eggs. Could we have a slightly improved drop rate, please? rolleyes.gif

Edited by walkinslow

The tetras looking nice but the Fire Gems... their shading looks strange but they have nice colours. I will go and hunt for Honey Drakes. Those are cute and beautiful and I never find them so maybe i can get some now. xd.png

joke

I've seen as many silver eggs as new release eggs go by so far today in the Volcano (of course, I can't catch either). Yeesh. tongue.gif

I like the Fire Gems' unusual black shading. I think it's quite a nice style to have added to DC. We need some variance like that, sometimes. And they're all unique poses!

I can't decide if I like them or not. They might go really well with tinsels, so that makes me like them more. I think I will need to view them in lineages before I am sure. The pixellated look is a bit jarring, but it might be nice after I get used to it. :3 The shading, I agree, is interesting!

I love how whenever anyone points out anything, even as legitimate critique, the automatic response is "until you can do better, shut up," rolleyes.gif

The green dragons are lovely. However, as a human (or as humans) doing these sprites, as is with any art, you can always get better! Critique helps us grow, whether it be in writing, in drawing, or even in science and beyond.

The membranes over the male green's wings do indeed look different from the previously displayed back wings on the red female's sprite. Granted, they are folded and that adds more texture, but the lack of any shading on the membranes at all makes the wings stand out against the heavily textured bodies of the other fire gems.

I believe the two front legs are there, but I think the male is holding his hands together? It looks to me like the "back claw" is actually a claw on another hand, and both are together. But I can see how others might see it other ways.

I believe it was just a poor choice of pose given the anatomy of these dragons, but the artists did great with what they had! It's difficult to come up with 6 unique poses, goodness, not to mention the hatchlings, and these are all animated and wonderful.

But the membranes on the green male do look under-shaded, but only because the rest of the fire gem's bodies are so heavily so. In the future, perhaps the artists could consider making "light" shaded areas medium when the rest of the sprite is heavily shaded.

The membranes over the male green's wings do indeed look different from the previously displayed back wings on the red female's sprite. Granted, they are folded and that adds more texture, but the lack of any shading on the membranes at all makes the wings stand out against the heavily textured bodies of the other fire gems.

[snip]

But the membranes on the green male do look under-shaded, but only because the rest of the fire gem's bodies are so heavily so. In the future, perhaps the artists could consider making "light" shaded areas medium when the rest of the sprite is heavily shaded.

The green male's wings are also much more taut than any of the others sprites--hence, there are fewer stretch marks and no folding going on in the membranes. His fire is also much closer to the wing than on any of the other dragons and, given the wing's angle, it would reflect light from the fire much more staunchly than on the other sprites. The way Process shaded the wings is logical and artistically sound; your complaints aren't so much legitimate critique as they are subjective opinion--which is perfectly okay to have and express (and you should!)! Do be careful about conflating the two, however.

Oh my, the adults are astounding! ohmy.gif They're definitely gonna make some awesome checkers!

Still haven't managed to grab any of the new crystal eggs. I'm not even seeing the 'faintly marked' (Tetra?) eggs anymore. I'm probably just having abysmal luck. xd.png;

I really love the Fire Gems. Now Process is represented by something that actually suits their style, and the site has a little more stylistic diversity-- they're really nice sprites, and they're a little different without being TOO different.

The Tetras are nice, simple dragons. I don't think I'll be collecting too many, but I'll enjoy the ones I have.

The female green adult Fire Gem is my favorite.

(You might notice my name was on the hatchling credits and is not on the adults. That's because literally all I did was doodle up a base pose for the S1s for Process to work off of. I didn't touch the S2s even.)

It's confirmed - green Fire Gems are my favs.

Tertras look plain next to them - but Corteo's sprites have a tendency to grow on me with time smile.gif

I really love the Fire Gems <3 I'm very pleased to finally be able to have some of Process's more recent work on my scroll--their style is very distinctive and a nice change of pace, and I love it all the more for that. These sprites are stellar, and collecting them--even if does eventually prove a lasting chore--is something I look forward to.

And the Tetras! It's so exciting to have something new both in release and artistic timeline from Corteo! I love the color scheme, and they're so happy and dainty. The salmon belly scutes are a really nice contrast with the baby blue.

Also:

blue is Jazz hands

user posted image

user posted image

BLUE IS JAZZ HANDS

Edited by PieMaster

The green male's wings are also much more taut than any of the others sprites--hence, there are fewer stretch marks and no folding going on in the membranes. His fire is also much closer to the wing than on any of the other dragons and, given the wing's angle, it would reflect light from the fire much more staunchly than on the other sprites. The way Process shaded the wings is logical and artistically sound; your complaints aren't so much legitimate critique as they are subjective opinion--which is perfectly okay to have and express (and you should!)! Do be careful about conflating the two, however.

I hadn't even thought to look at it from the aspect of fire having bearing on the shading of the sprite... but looking at it that way, it does make sense.

I think the issue I have with that though is that none of the other sprites seem to be shaded that way? Their tails aren't all lighter than the rest of their bodies, etc?

And given the angle of the fire coming out of the male's mouth, if it was effecting the lighting on the wing, wouldn't the shoulder be much less heavily shaded?

I'm not saying the shading in the way it was done is wrong at all, but I think the color is a bit too light, is all. The taught...ness makes sense for it to be a bit more flatly colored, I agree. The proper /shading/ is there, as in how the bones of the wings jut out and such. My only argument is that it should be medium - mid dark instead of light-medium palette, because I think it's a bit too light, if that makes sense?

Seriously, are any of these eggs still dropping? I've been refreshing in the coast, jungle and volcano for 3 hours and haven't seen a single one....

I haven't either & it's very frustrating. I've been on for 10 hours now and except for seeing one crystal (nabbed by someone else, of course) last night, I have not seen anything! rolleyes.gif

I guess you had to be there the first 4 hours. I sent messages to a moderator & a spriter about this, but no response(s) yet. Maybe it's an attempt to make them really rare.

I missed release day, and managed to get two coastal eggs on the 20th with no real difficulty. However, with the slow Internet here, it is pretty hopeless with the Volcano dragons. But I was in an even worse situation with the Xenos and eventually managed to get them all, so I still have hope.

I absolutely adore the Fire Gems wub.gif The spriting style somehow reminds me of retro games, in a really good way? The red female is my favorite, but they're all so striking and lovely *o*

And Tetras are really cute; such a nice shade of blue, and those charming smiles!

Can't wait to see the lineage ideas people think up biggrin.gif