Xocowolf

The Bestiary

This is a lineage that brings together all the dragons, wyverns and drakes that significantly mimic natural animal species.

"All dragons are technically animals" isn't an argument for a breed's inclusion because there's nothing I've seen in the natural world that looks anything like a Depisi or a Brimstone! xd.png No, they have to look like something from your local farm, natural history museum or zoo, not something from Dungeons &…well, you get the idea wink.gif

For a breed to be included in this lineage, it must either have the name of a mundane, Natural animal in its name (e.g., Horse, Falconiforme Wyvern, Monarch) or a prominent physical feature must be mimicked (e.g., Albino, Water Walker, Solstice).

Rules:

- No inbreeding! Inbreeding leads to extinction,

- No killing,

- No Biting,

- Freezing is allowed after the second generation.

Allowable Breeds:

Dragons:

- Albino (universal animal mutation)

- Blacktip (tern)

- Blue-banded (striped bass)

- Deep Sea (angler fish)

- Ember (tiger/wolf/cat)

- Horse (Friesian, specifically wink.gif )

- Monarch (monarch butterfly)

- Pillow (Himalayan cat)

- Swallowtail (various birds)

- Water Walker (jacaranda)

- Rosebud (horse/Pegasus)

- Yulebuck (goat)

- Solstice (elk)

- Tetra (tetra fish)

- Magma (brontosaurus, carnotaurus, allosaurus)

Wyverns:

- Falconiforme Wyvern (falcon)

- Flamingo Wyvern

- Coastal Waverunner (pteradactyl)

- Bright-breasted Wyvern (poison dart frogs)

Drakes:

- Howler drake (howler monkey, moth)

- Greater Spotted Drake (leopard)

- Morphodrake (moth)

- Tarantula Hawk Drake

- Pumpkin (frogs)

Some ideas for lineages:

- Single species

- Checkerboards

- By animal type (fish, bird, insect, ungulate, equine, etc.)

- Biome-specific

- Chimaera (mix of different animal types)

Edited by Xocowolf

I think this sounds fun! Unfortunately, mostly just focusing on olives this year, so I won't be starting any lines, but I hope this gains some interest to stay alive!

When/if I start breeding, what I need most is naming themes and ideas. Maybe surnames based off Latin names of the animals? Or hybrid names of their common names as a surname?

I've already started collecting dragons for my line and I've been using "Beast" in the names. Like, "Forestbeast."

I've already started collecting dragons for my line and I've been using "Beast" in the names. Like, "Forestbeast."

Ooooh, I like that! Creature and critter don't have quite the same appeal, but maybe something similar with those.

I like your idea of using taxonomic names.

I've also used Sanskrit, Dothraki and Basque in my dragons' names before so I might continue that here.

Sanskrit for "Beast" is "Pashu."

Basque = "Piztia"

Afterthought: A bloodline of Beasts with mixed species could be named a Chimaera, especially if we did it Epic-style!

Edited by Xocowolf

^^^ Oooh, all great! This is why everyone is so much better at naming than me. xP I really like the chimera idea.

Also, tetras are based off the tetra, so they could be added here. o3o

Done.

Debating whether to include Magma dragons. They look like an amalgam of Brontosaurus and Carnotaur dinosaurs.

Am I correct in thinking that all drakes except maybe Honey Drakes are animal-based? Glories look like butterflies to me and Ochredrakes remind me of anthelopes. This could be a nice way to do something with drakes. :D

This is interesting. I find Fell dragons remind me of dinosaurs (I'm forgetting the species at the moment). Honey stakes would make good bees. They don't have a stinger, but they got a large club tail that's like the Dragon equivalent. And Mints are like lizards.

Do you plan on having a post for all the lineages people create or stuff like that?

I think I'll start a Pillow/Ember checker, since they are felines.