TJ09

2017-02-14 - Valentine's Day!

This has to be one of the most intense releases we have had in a while. Kinda feels like watching a ping pong game.

I can officially say I've been around, and seen some ninja.gif

And I did not see Tazzay's or TJ's comments on the matter coming at all. Makes me wonder what's really going on rolleyes.gif

Whoever you are, mysterious spriter, thank you for providing a whole set for us to get in time. You did awesome, and as much as I'd like to personally be able to thank you and praise, I'm glad you're staying anon for all of this drama- at least for now <3

THE DRAMA!

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the released sprites had to be changed. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause, though thankfully it has no chance to impact lineages, since all dragons are CB and none have bred yet.

{snip}

Comparison:

~Removed~ --> user posted image (Provided by Aurigena)

~Removed~ --> user posted image

Even the egg sprite was modified a bit

user posted image New Egg Vs. Old Egg user posted image

{snip}

Well, since people want to know -

~Removed~ --> user posted image

(Shokomon: Current Adult Added for Comparison)

This is what the original Cermorvous looked like. I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

EEF and I were treated rather poorly about this release.

I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

If you're going to play the victim, please don't outright lie about it. You were notified via PM last night (in addition to the repeated contact I've had with edwardelricfreak over the past several days, that I know you are aware of because you PMed me about it). You responded to the very PM I sent you about an hour later. To claim that you don't know why the events that have happened transpired as they did is a bit more than disingenuous.

My earlier post in this thread was intentionally vague about the swap because I didn't want to draw negative attention to you and edwardelricfreak, but I'm not going to tolerate outright falsehoods.

However, since that's not the case... at this point the best way to settle things is probably to give some explanation. D.C. has a reputation for annoying levels of hyper secrecy and while I get that in this case it's actually justified as being sensitive, things are going to explode more without answers, not quiet down.

I am avoiding giving specifics out of respect for the people involved. If they wish to share what happened, they can, and if it turns out they are comfortable doing so, I will gladly share my side of things.

The new spriter doesn't get credit for their sprite, because of the negativity attached to the whole ordeal.

The new spriter(s) explicitly asked for anonymity/to go without credit.

Form your own opinions, but don't insult the spriters

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

On the topic of recreating the concept, once a concept is chosen and released for DC, DC owns that concept.

Should the art for said concept need replacing, the new spriters are well within their rights to just redraw the dragon if they see fit.

Edited by ParticleSoup

Okay, here's my thoughts after going back and reading what people are saying:

We could always make it like the sweetlings. The people who actually prefer the original will always get the original and the people who prefer the new one will always get the new sprite.

I know a lot of people are upset about this, and trust me, I am too because when I went to go look at my little Fluffy hatchlings earlier, I'm just like, what's Spyro doing in my scroll? Because to me, they look like Spyro in the S1.

On the topic of recreating the concept, once a concept is chosen and released for DC, DC owns that concept.

Should the art for said concept need replacing, the new spriters are well within their rights to just redraw the dragon if they see fit.

Thank you for that input Particle. I hadn't considered that fact, and that is a good point. It makes sense.

Well, since people want to know -

~Removed~

This is what the original Cermorvous looked like. I don't know why it was changed without EEF's or my consent, but it was. Sorry to everyone.

Just love this sprite, and the hatchlings as well.

I noticed the change after looking at the hatchlings in my scroll.

They were beautiful and cute. Status of my DC Valentine's day: ruined sad.gif

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

Honestly, at this point, it seems like the best option might be to just replace it with a completely different Valentines dragon. It doesn't seem like there's really any good resolution at this point (assuming that the sprite was changed for a very good reason), and at least with a new dragon it would kind of feel like a fresh start, but I of course don't know what goes into running dragon cave. Granted, there's already the replacement sprites, and it's just a sticky situation no matter how you look at it.

But where is permission for using the /species/ given in the contract artists sign?

If they're signing over their sprites that does *not* mean they have permission to use a species in its entirety. That's the whole concept behind closed species.

Unless it is specifically stated and an artist signs over their rights to DC for use of the concept as a whole and not just the art, I truly believe DC does not have the right to do something like this. Legally, stuff like that has to be written out word for word. :/

We could always make it like the sweetlings. The people who actually prefer the original will always get the original and the people who prefer the new one will always get the new sprite.

I know a lot of people are upset about this, and trust me, I am too because when I went to go look at my little Fluffy hatchlings earlier, I'm just like, what's Spyro doing in my scroll? Because to me, they look like Spyro in the S1.

That's not how I recall the Sweetlings playing out; many people who have alts don't like them, and many people with the originals prefer the alts. It was an apology for a glitch causing all the eggs caught at the beginning of the drop to auto-abandon and nothing more; nobody had a say whether they got the alts or not.

The problem with that though, is that presumable there is a reason that art was pulled off of the site. And I'm going out on a limb, but I'd be willing to bet that means it isn't going to be released on the site due to _____ reason.

Not to mention I feel like it would be a headache to try and parse out which users want what art. Not that I don't doubt TJ could do it, but still.

EDIT: ^^^^^ ninja.gif Also what Pie said.

Edited by Wandering4Ever

If whatever issue there was to make them be changed in the first place can be resolved this sounds like a good plan to me. smile.gif

I think both sets are lovely and am just thankful for another wonderful holiday release.

I just hope that something this serious hasn't been a result of art theft or something along those lines.

That's not how I recall the Sweetlings playing out; many people who have alts don't like them, and many people with the originals prefer the alts. It was an apology for a glitch causing all the eggs caught at the beginning of the drop to auto-abandon and nothing more; nobody had a say whether they got the alts or not.

Ah, true, sorry, my mind's not all that here with me being sick and all, I just thought it would be a solution.

Keyword: a

Yes Sweetlings did not play out on who liked them or not. There's still people upset about how that played out.

(Me personally, I'm bummed out because I was up before the glitch trying to catch and if I hadn't given up I would have probs had the cool sprite haha, but it's no big deal to me)

Assigning one or the other sprite to people is just going to cause more problems.

I obviously don't know anything about this, but I suspect that if it was art theft, we wouldn't have a similar replacement like we do. If it was stolen, the original artist presumably did not give DC permission to use the concept, and even if that's not illegal, I imagine the site would want to refrain from making a similar sprite out of respect. That's just an assumption, of course.

OMG... What is going on??? Why don't we thankful for the EGGY and those who work really hard for us to get your hands on????

I'm grateful to all....

Please make this VALENTINE's EGGY happy PLEASE!!!!!!!!

**HUGS**

**CHUUUUUUUUUUUUU****

On the other hand... I'm playing catch-up on the EVENT biggrin.gif

Maybe in a perfect world, these two sprite sets can be released as normals, with the original being the norm and the new being the 'alt' like vines or blacks(or vice versa, whatever works); while TJ picks a different Valentines so somehow everybody can be happy!

Or maybe just me. I love new dragons and can't get enough xd.png

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

But.... Sweetlings are male and pink? Except for the goths, obvs. o_0;

Yeah, which is my point. Some people did not end up with the pink ones an would like to have a future male pink valentine.

Maybe in a perfect world, these two sprite sets can be released as normals, with the original being the norm and the new being the 'alt' like vines or blacks(or vice versa, whatever works); while TJ picks a different Valentines so somehow everybody can be happy!

Or maybe just me. I love new dragons and can't get enough xd.png

I would assume that if the original sprites were suitable for use on the site in the first place, they would not have been replaced, so I doubt we will be seeing them as a normal release.

But where is permission for using the /species/ given in the contract artists sign?

If they're signing over their sprites that does *not* mean they have permission to use a species in its entirety. That's the whole concept behind closed species.

Unless it is specifically stated and an artist signs over their rights to DC for use of the concept as a whole and not just the art, I truly believe DC does not have the right to do something like this. Legally, stuff like that has to be written out word for word. :/

This. There is, to my memory, no permission given for concepts to be handed over to DC in the agreement. The artists/concepters retain the rights to the concept, as far as I'm aware.

At this point, I think it would have been better to have the sprites replaced with another breed entirely. Would have been bad, but it wouldn't have been this.

I would assume that if the original sprites were suitable for use on the site in the first place, they would not have been replaced, so I doubt we will be seeing them as a normal release.

Oh yeah, I'm not getting my hopes up for anything other than what we currently have, personally.

In a "perfect" world... tongue.gif

I'm just thinking, with all of this drama and this side that side stuff...To my (not so vast) knowledge of dc, nothing like this has happened where TJ has to change sprite sets, but follows the same concept, then spriter comes saying xyz, TJ says abc... It's just such a big mix up-never know what could happen, right?

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

On the prospect of having the older ones as alts, how about we just give them a hand-wave BSA that lets em form swap?

Who cares why or how they change form?

Edited by blockEdragon